Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RedWing MX2 Build

i will do so tomorrow morning the plane is still in my truck.. when i come from work tomorrow i will bring it down and dis assemble everything from it and take pictures of it and post it here and thanks for the offering kerwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The JC 28 is a good engine, but because I've been using gas engines for some time now I have become pretty good a tunning them for the most part.  
    If properly tuned and checked, the JC can prove itself to be a very reliable engine, Just as much as the DLE 30.  

I'm thinking you either had an air leak somewhere or you were to lean on the low end, you did a long up-line at full throttle, went to low throttle then back up to half and the engine died.

Build em Fly em Crash em!!!
    www.Redwingrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yup T.J that exactly what happened. am not saying that jc28cc is a bad engine. am saying i had enough crap from mine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AvatarQ8

yup T.J that exactly what happened. am not saying that jc28cc is a bad engine. am saying i had enough crap from mine.
    sorry about your trubles... don't give up yet... take the engine put it on the bench and play with it a bit untill you get it right.

www.Redwingrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I must admit I also had a similar story with my JC28.. my first had an air leak..
    through my own stupidity I fiddled too much and broke it.. got a replacement and have not had a single misfire, deadstick.. NOTHING...

I think the js28 engines are Very good... but 2 regular posters in this plane's thread with reliability issues, to me means there are production problems rather than design problems..
    I KNOW mine was an air leak as I found a rather large shard of metal stuck in one of the paper gaskets.. about 3mm long, 1mm across.. I still have the original gasket with the massive crease/mark in it where the shard was.

Like I say, this to me points towards a dirty factory.. or rushed workers unable to clean the engine as they build them... there is not a flawed design.

Avatar.. why not get the engine off the plane and send it to somewhere who can service it?? Get them to get it running well then send it back to you.

Also like stated.. get it on a work bench and run it there.
    You can test for oil leaks leaving, running it with the seals wrapped in paper towel...
    Also test it for air leaks entering by going nuts with engine sealant type silicon.. I got some from a local automotive store.. its an orange silicon they use for "liquid gaskets" and seals etc.. Just smear it over where all the gaskets are... let it dry then run it... if it runs well like this... order up a set of new gaskets!
    Goldwing MX2 & DLE 30 + Harris smoke pump
    Seagull Super Tucano 91 & DLE 20
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with you guy's but the main thing now is LET's get that MX rebuilt.
    It sounded like your wings and most of your fuse is intact.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Q8. Sorry to hear about the mishap. Reminds me of two years ago when I went through 5 different planes. None of it felt good. I tried to act like i wasn't P.Od but I was. I had to sleep on it befor I could start thinking straight. Yes the engine Quit but why? The second plane went in the same way. Then I figured it out that it was to lean. Never had a flame out after that but dumb thumbs still put in 3 more. That was just one Summer Season. All I'm saying is crashing is what we do if we fly. You have to figure out why you crashed and fix it. I didn't destroy any planes last season. Couldn't stand prosperity so I traded a few of them so I could get some new ones.
    We will help you re build if that is what you want. Just ask your Question.
    I learned to build from rebuilding. If I didn't crash I wouldn't have learned to build.

First rebuilding lesson. Take all your broken peaces glue them back together with some C/A glue. Use it for a template to cut out a new piece from new wood. If you have some parts missing, you can take one side flip it and and make the other side the same.

I crashed this plane twice. Once to a dead stick and once to bouncing in the trailer on a poorly made cradle. The Dead stick was from a loose spark plug that I didn't find for two weeks.

If I can do it then You can do it to.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gd93941.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	1586468   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf12959.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	1586469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ot47263.jpg 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	1586470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rk24112.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	1586471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kv17069.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	1586472  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hy34036.jpg 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	1586473  
    Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AvatarQ8

hi kerwin

i dont think i have the skills to re build it with all that damage, i went up at full speed got it 1/4 throttle then 1/2 throttle on the spin process where it did stop. i had about 10 dead stick landings perior to that one kerwin using that jc28cc engines this time i could not save the plane

Don't despair my friend, everything is rebuildable. You will be amazed on the shape some folks rebuild any balsa model. A kerwin suggest, post some photos and we may be able to give you suggestions on how to repair your bird.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What I've found is after the crash things look worse than they really are.  Once you get the plane home put it on the bench and start working, pull back the covering, you realize things are not as bad as they seem.
    www.Redwingrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd agree with that.

its exactly why I never look at a crashed plane till the day after the crash.. let things calm down a little and you can see the situation with "calmer eyes"
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i just cant put them all together so i will spread them out

thanks for the support guys

Name:	Tr50804.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	1586745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj28281.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	1586746  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	Vt58178.jpg 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	1586747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt61853.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	1586748  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Name:	Pm34935.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	1586749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb89351.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	1586750  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thats about it if any more pictures is needed am glad to help

thats the only parts been damaged

Name:	Vt56648.jpg 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	1586752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id96035.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	193.9 KB 
ID:	1586753  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rebuild-able? Certainly. Worth it? Your call. It will take you time and effort, will generate frustration, and will be a learning experience. For some people, this is a worthwhile undertaking, either because they want the challenge, want to learn, or just flat out enjoy building and re-building. For some, it's not their idea of fun. You are the only one who can decide what it is for you. One thing I will say, is don't try the rebuild because you think it will be cheaper. Unless you already have all the materials necessary already, it likely isn't. And if you need to buy tools, then it certainly isn't, but the tools are an investment so it is up to you how count them. Unless you count the time invested as free (probably because you find you enjoy it) then it takes a pretty expensive airframe to be cheaper to rebuild.

Whatever you do, don't toss the airframe. If you decide not to repair, ask around. You will almost certainly find someone who would gladly take it off your hands for a project of their own.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did The Mx come with a firewall drill Guide. If it did then you have your template for your new firewall.

Do one thing at a time.

Trace around your template with a pencil onto the new ply wood. I cut everything out with a scroll saw then finish it to the line with a belt sander. You can do everything by hand but it takes longer.

It helps to see in your mind what it should look like.

When you get finished cutting that out then go to the second former. You can make a template out of card board. I like to use a Coke Carton that the cans come in. Good template material. You don't have to replace the whole former if most of it is in good shape. You can splice them together later. if one side is good then copy it and turn it over and put it on the other side.

Be patient and take your time.

PS. You can ask anybody that has rebuilt a plane and they all will tell you that they are more proud of the plane after the rebuild then before.
    Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tseres is right.

Plus I can promise you, if you have a bit of ply there. in 5mins you can have a piece cut out and cyanoed in place and you'll think "crap that looks so much better already!!!".
    After that first bit goes in place you'll realize that its just a case of repetition but with different shapes of wood...

I will also agree..

My greatplanes extra 300 sp is my fav glow plane.. I cant deiced if the mx2 or 300 is my FAV FAV plane or not.... I "bent it" a few months back.
    I got upset about it.. left it alone over night.. next day got into my office and within 2 hours it was like new! and iยดve even happier with it for this!

BUT.. I already had stock of ply, balsa, tools and covering materials and iron... if you dont have these and you think you only want them for THIS rebuild... order a new airframe, it will work out possibly cheaper.
    if you think you would like to have a stock of all these things for future use.. get buying and get working.. you'll be really happy with yourself if you do!!

If your plane looked like this.. its binbag time! (this will make you feel better!!!)
    This is another great planes extra 300sp after a midair with an align trex 700 f3C..... neither model came out repairable.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6002/img0132v.jpg
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some folks may not agree with me, and my opinion is your plane is a good candidate for rebuilding. I had similar damage to my landing gear and I was able to repair it and except for a slight covering color mismatch you could not tell the difference. See Posts #145 and #153 on this thread, note from the photos that I probably sustained heavier damage to the landing gear formers. The trick as Tom suggest is to save as many broken pieces then piece them together with CA and trace them in new wood. You may have to do some dis-assembly of the broken pieces that remain in the fuse in order to get complete parts, just be careful when you break their glue joints. The firewall should be an easy rebuild and the cowl look mostly intact. I have repaired the fiberglass cowl of a couple of planes and then repaint them with great success. Any crack glass you can patch with .005 Kevlar tissue and epoxy on the inside, fill the outside cracks with automotive body glazing putty, sand, prime and repaint. It will look like new.

Right now I am rebuilding my 28% Extra 330S and a Great Planes U-Can-Do 3D I cracked up last season and I am proud to say It will be hard to tell the difference. I do enjoy building from scratch and believe me the way I fly I have had plenty of experience fixing broken balsa. That for me is just part of this hobby and I enjoy all of it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I forgot to mention that you may be able to buy a fuse and a cowl only from a gold wing dealer. It won't be Identical but should work. I don't think Tim has any replacement parts being a new dealer.
    Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Airtech and tseres have all ready said it. damage is not bad. you maybe be able to even repair the cowl with some finishing epoxy and glass cloth, worth a shot any ways.
    She'll be up an flying in no time.
    Yes you can cut your parts free hand.
    It shouldn't cost that much for a little ply and spruce sticks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tim should have some parts left, cowlings and wheel pants, he did last time I checked.
    www.Redwingrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah you'll be back in the air in no time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone been flying thier MX?
    I've been somewhat grounded due to weather and what not.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Long weekend here in Jamaica so, I will be flying all day Sunday and Monday morning. Would love to fly tomorrow but going to pay my respects at a funeral for the mother of a friend from our Flying Club.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to hear about your friends mother.
    I hope you have a good day flying, I'm holding my breath hoping we get a break in the weather.
    I've only had my MX out 3 times since I completed her 2 months ago.

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast