Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RedWing MX2 Build

Yesterday I lost my MX2

Did a hover, to knife edge, and from knife edge directly into a snap roll.... It was just too low, it came out of the snap fine but just lacked the air speed to pull up...
    Had the gas on full but it was just making an arch downwards (imagine an escalator)... and hit an orange tree..
    If there had only been a meter or more of height it would've had the time to accelerate and pull out..

So. tomorrow ill be ordering a new one..

BUT I cant decide wether to stick to my original red MX2 or the nice orange sbach!??! decisions decisions!
    Have to admit I do like that the wing recesses inside the sbach! if anything for the cleaner finnish.
    Goldwing MX2 & DLE 30 + Harris smoke pump
    Seagull Super Tucano 91 & DLE 20
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to hear about your crash, I think you will be happy with either of the two.  Both are really good flying planes.
    Build em Fly em Crash em!!!
    www.Redwingrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In the end I think I will stick with the mx2..
    for 2 reasons..
    1st all my wiring looms I soldered up are made for the mx2... the measurements might not translate with the sbach..
    2nd... and most importantly.. here in spain the sbach is more expensive!!!
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to Hear about your plane. Glad your spirits are still High.

Keep us posted with your new build.
    Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone had problem with wings being warped? More experienced pilot pointed out that my left wing was warped yesterday, ended up having to use the heat gun to straighten it out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Never seen any problem with warped wings from Redwing so far. Warping is usually caused by extreme changes in temperature and humidity during in transit time and can happen to any balsa built up wing. Usually some work with a heat gun will take care of the problem. I don't know what the seller policy is in this case, you may want to check with them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok plane arrived today..
    Exact same plane, the red greg poe mx2.

Best part is that yesterday (i've taken a few days off work that I was due) I was able to use the old plane to prepare all the mods and extras etc even just the simple things like ply sheets for mounting the switch etc.

Best part is that since the first plane I have bought myself a small desktop band saw.. BEST THING EVER!

within 10 minutes I had made myself a "forever" ply JC28 mounting template... all the mods I made to the engine box were re-made and to a higher quality.

The electronics took about 5 minutes to re-install everything, as all the looms were made up, it was just a case of getting it all back in the plane.

Starting to wish all manuals were written in the style I am building this plane!
    As i've done it before and know whats coming, I am managing to do everything for each "tool" at once..
    eg I did everything for the 1.5ml drill bit at once, the servo holes etc etc. then move onto the 3mm holes, then do a batch epoxying etc etc..
    Managed to save a LOAD of time just by not having to look for (on a messy desk) and change drill bits etc over and over.

One of my newer mods, for the engine mounting box... I saw in a forum (could it be this one?).
    well as for the jc28 you have to cut a part of the ply away, RIGHT where there is a joiner, and it weakens the engine box, I took a 2mm drill bit and drilled through the ply walls and into the ply engine mounting board. I then epoxied in those holes some cut down toothpicks.. At first they stuck out too far but it took 10 seconds to sand them flush with a dremmel!!
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sorry to hear about your crash but very happy to know you are on your way with the the new MX2. Would love to see a few pictures of the modifications that you are doing.

When do you think you will be able to maiden?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I crashed my MX last night, it was late, I had her out a ways , I did a couple of snaps and when I came out I thought it was right side up with the nose down so I pulled some elev and she did a 1/2 loop and flew into the top of a tree.
    It took a boom truck and lots of work to get her out.
    I have a busted wing tip, and 2 holes in the covering.

I didn't have the wheel pants or cowl on, so she in relative ok shape though she is soon losing her nice new look.
    I've beefed my landing gear on it some with fiberglass an 1/16 light ply.
    This plane can be a sport plane.
    If someone like me with a neuro musclar disease can fly it then any sport flyler should be able too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

I crashed my MX last night, it was late, I had her out a ways , I did a couple of snaps and when I came out I thought it was right side up with the nose down so I pulled some elev and she did a 1/2 loop and flew into the top of a tree.
    It took a boom truck and lots of work to get her out.
    I have a busted wing tip, and 2 holes in the covering.

I didn't have the wheel pants or cowl on, so she in relative ok shape though she is soon losing her nice new look.
    I've beefed my landing gear on it some with fiberglass an 1/16 light ply.
    This plane can be a sport plane.
    If someone like me with a neuro musclar disease can fly it then any sport flyler should be able too.
    Wow, sorry to hear the bad news Kerwin50. Will you be able to get it back in the air?

www.Redwingrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK my mods:

you'll see one of the toothpick "pins" in the first photo. My idea isnt that they give it strength, more that they will help keep the structure together, and so keep its own strength, as my first plane had the engine box unglue and "come apart". There is another on the opposite side but 4 under the ply seen in pic 2. Just to keep the top part we have opened up, together.
    I also added the sheet in top of the box where you have to cut out for the jc28... again just to help it keep together.
    Then there is some ply support for the throttle servo.. I noticed it bend so just stiffened it up to remove some slop.
    Then the ply sandwich I used to make the fuel dot mounting. its 2 layers of 3mm ply.. the first sits flush with the fuse of the plane, the 2nd is larger and used to glue the whole thing in place.

VERY important.. on the engine box you MUST sand off the original coating of sealer before anything will glue.... I learned this on the first plane. The glue has to make contact with wood!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30159.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	1614327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je99291.jpg 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	1614328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Af90950.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	1614329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xr45250.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	1614330  
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ineed some help please.

It appears I didn't do the best job with installing the robart hingeson my MX2 as Iam seeing a bit of play/slopat the control surfaces. Silly me tried to get some thin CA into the holes and managed to screw up a couple of the hinges on one of the wings. Has anyone any experience with safely removing robart hinges? Also, how do Icorrect the play/slop on the remaining control surfaces.

Would appreciate guidance on how to proceed as Idont think what Ihave tried is the correct approach.

Thanks

DaleD

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd suggest buying some new hinges.... cut the bad ones in half and then use a bench press to drill them out carefully.....

that way you can start again..

Slop is always a case of the least you can get. end of.
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DaleD

IΒ*need some help please.

It appears I didn't do the best job with installing the robart hingesΒ*on my MX2 as IΒ*am seeing a bit of play/slopΒ*at the control surfaces.Β* Silly me tried to get some thin CA into the holes and managed to screw up a couple of the hinges on one of the wings.Β* Has anyone any experience with safely removing robart hinges?Β* Also, how do IΒ*correct the play/slop on the remaining control surfaces.

Would appreciate guidance on how to proceed as IΒ*dont think what IΒ*have tried is the correct approach.

Thanks

DaleD
    Wow, you got a though problem there..... First off, I believe all MXs came with the ailerons pre-installed, so you must be referring to the elevator and rudder hinges. I don't see why you had the need of re-gluing the wing hinges since they are a very tight fit from the factory.

When you say that there is slop on your hinges, exactly where do you see the play/slop is? Are the hinges loose in their sockets? What method (glue type) you use to install the hinges?

If you use epoxy or Gorilla glue there is not much you can do except cutting the hinges and drill them out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AND, in my new one, the elevator hinges were glued into the elevator itself, I only had to glue the horizontal stab.
    The rudder had nothing glued.....

If I recall correctly, my original mx2 did not have the elevators glued at all.

I had to give them a good tug to be sure! Would be a great newbie mistake not realising that they need glued and loosing the plane on its maiden due to unglued elevator hinges!!
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Right, so today iΒ΄ve been up to a few things.

I had a spare carb, so iΒ΄ve modified it for better "performance".

The 2 mods i've made are, soulder the small hole in the choke for better priming and add a nipple to the diaphragm vent hole and plumb a line to the fuse.
    This 2nd mod *should* create an effect, where by the tuning I do on the ground is the same as will be in the air, taking away (or reducing at least) the trial and error stage of fine tuning the engine.

The good thing is that I could take the risk of experimenting as I was lucky enough to have a spare (but broken diaphragmed) carb at hand... so if it does not work out, I can take the original parts in my flight box and swap them back again on site withing 20 mins or so.

I'll be maidening on saturday with any luck!

some photos:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig12670.jpg 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	1614898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa84785.jpg 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	1614899   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nt46441.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	1614900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ga78320.jpg 
Size:	201.0 KB 
ID:	1614901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zq95998.jpg 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	1614902  

Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good ceecrb1, did you have problems with the carb becoming untuned in the air before?
    www.Redwingrc.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

airtech, I have a question.....when you had the balance problem, what did your plane do in the air??? I just maidened my mx2 today...mine has a dle30...on take off it went straight up & with any throttle at all it just wanted to go straight up......not sure what to do.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whats your set up like and where do you have the CG? Ihave seen another model behave in a similar manner and it turned out to be quite tail heavy.

What sort of elevator trim do you need for straight and level flight? Also, when flying straight and level what happens if you reduce teh throttle?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was unable to get any level flight with any amount of throttle. My engine deadsticked & from there I was able to have some control to land her. In the redwing mx2 build thread it says 5 1/4 for CG & thats where I started. it seemed like it floated ok on my landing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My CG is half way between the redwing videos and the manual.. I couldnt decide....
    In the end I liked it there from the get-go so never have changed it!
    I cant remember what the exact distance is but from my description you can go try it.

like this I "had" (going to maiden the 2nd plane tomorrow... so cant say "have") ZERO issues with motor angles etc. it was absolutely spot on!

t3beatz.. not "major" problems.. but yeah I could make out that what I tuned on the ground was not what I had in the air. I had to tune with the "trial and error" process, which was just time consuming.
    Like I say, not problems, I think just normal gasser tuning..
    Like i said, it wasnt a "necessary" mod, purely a mod because I can, and because it *does* (if it works as intended) make tuning a faster process..
    I just liked the idea that I can tune on the ground, and know that what I set is what I will have in the air... rather than land, adjust, try again, adjust again..
    My motor did de-tune this last month, but i suspect heavily that was because here in valencia the weathers swaps from cold winter to scorching hot summer in a matter of 2 weeks or so, it was enough of a sudden change that my motor, which had been running faultlessly, was definitely showing signs of running rich in my last flights (due to less air in the summer heat).
    I think this mod will just be another "safety net", taking away a possible surprise once i've taken off.

The choke mod, again, just a case of speeding priming up "because I can" rather than feeling I needed to.

Like I said, I had the parts there, so its costing me nothing to give it a try.
    Just the same as I always start this plane with my electric starter. Because its safer and because I can.. I COULD and do start by hand... but it just seems silly to risk my fingers when my starter will turn this engine over with no problems.
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dave de

airtech, I have a question.....when you had the balance problem, what did your plane do in the air??? I just maidened my mx2 today...mine has a dle30...on take off it went straight up & with any throttle at all it just wanted to go straight up......not sure what to do.....
    Exactly what yours is doing, The reason was the CG was too far back. Balance the plane right at the wing tube, test fly it and then go from there to fine tune it to your liking.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My MX acted thge same way with a DLE 30. Come to find out it had 1 1/2 degrees of upthrust on the engine. I had to add 1 mm washers on the top stand offs to get 1 degree of down thrust.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kerwin50, even with upthrust, wouldnt you be able to get level flying with more down elevator???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

t
    ORIGINAL: dave de

Kerwin50, even with upthrust, wouldnt you be able to get level flying with more down elevator???
    Dave, probably so. Trust me at 5 1/4" you will have a tail heavy condition. As I said before try the CG at the wing tube, take it up and trim it for level flight at 60% power. Then fly an inverted at a 45 degree up line, and then let go of the elevator; If the CG is correct it should it fly a slight descending arc, if tail heavy it will try to stay on a straight climb or further climb.

If you trim the CG for the correct flight path on an inverted climb and the plane still requires excessive down elevator when flying straight and level at 50 to 60 percent power check your incidence angles. Most aerobatic planes are set to 0-0-0 incidence. Make sure to use a good incidence meter like the ROBART INCIDENCE METER. Make sure to use the wing incidence as your zero point reference and keep the fuselage solidly in place by weighting it down with sandbags or other similar weight while you complete the measurements.

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast