Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RedWing MX2 Build

5 1/4 is right in front of the wing tube. If I go to the center of the wing tube its gonna be more like 5 3/4 I think I need to go more forward than 5 1/4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used a robart on mine and I started by zeroing the tail and my wings had plus 1 and because I had cut the stand-off down I had upthrust.I had some real problems flying her mainly on landings as the nose wanted to pitch up.

I removed one servo from the elev and put a joiner wire in it to move my cg from 5 1/4 back to a tad under 5 inches, along with putting 1 mm washer on my top stand offs.
    It flys so much better now though she feels alittle nose heavy.
    I've still got alittle repair work to do as I found a broken longeron in 2 places.

I really feel I should have listen to Tim about the JC as the dle has just way to much power.
    This combo will hover well below 1/4 throttle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dave de

5 1/4 is right in front of the wing tube. If I go to the center of the wing tube its gonna be more like 5 3/4 I think I need to go more forward than 5 1/4
    In that case go to 5 inches, better nose heavy rather than tail heavy. Five inches have worked O.K. for me and most other folks which I feel is the maximum forward limit and will fly a tad nose heavy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Quick question.. I know its been asked 10000000 times but I cant seem to find "real" answers.... some yes'es and some no's

Would a pitts muffler drop the noise level of the jc28? Club members are starting to make comments......

Got mine going great. I dont know how, but this new mx2 "feels" to fly better than the old!
    I dont know how...

Managed a 30 second PERFECTLY stationary hover yesterday with it on its first flight and it took off, and after just 4 meters of flight I was able to "hands in the air" off the sticks for level flight.

Today: knife edge spin learning. Great fun

Finally I just need to find someone more experienced than me at turning rc gassers.. Its running "fine" ie no dead sticks in the air.... but at low idle it just keeps giving me signs its about to die out..
    It will tend to stop when I land as well.. just after touching down, it stops..
    I do always fly with an "idle up" option and just reduce the idle for landing and taxiing.. but still. There has been one or two occasions that I felt I had to give it a "jab" of gas to save it while it was in the air...
    That noise of it sounding like its slowing.. Just happens once in a while when I perform a tumble or something like that.
    Goldwing MX2 & DLE 30 + Harris smoke pump
    Seagull Super Tucano 91 & DLE 20
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

AirTech do you have a robart meter? If you do could you zero ypu stab and put the meter on the area where the canopy goes.
    I'm showing plus 1 along with my wings.
    If I zero the wings my H stab show minus 1.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

AirTech do you have a robart meter? If you do could you zero ypu stab and put the meter on the area where the canopy goes.
    I'm showing plus 1 along with my wings.
    If I zero the wings my H stab show minus 1.
    As I mentioned before "most" aerobatic planes are 0-0-0 incidence, it seems that in the case of the MX the stab have -1 degree incidence and that's proven by the fact that Kerwin found out his wing had a +1 degree when he used the stab as the reference point. To be honest I have not checked the incidence on mine so I believe this is a question to be answered by the designer. It may be possible the -1 degree stab incidence is the correct design angle. On the other hand I doubt very much the engine was designed with 1 1/2 degrees of positive incidence. I don't know of many any aerobatic plane designed with that much engine/motor positive incidence.

Right now I am out of town and not able to check what the current incidence is on my MX. In any case I suggest you make sure your CG is set slightly on the nose heavy side before you start making any incidence alignments. I will like to see what Tim have to say on this regard.

P.S. There are a couple of very accurate incidence meters in the market. See the Angle Pro 4 in 1 Incidence/Angle Meter. Myself I have the Great Planes Laser Incidence Meter which I believe Hobbico may have discontinued.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally getting serious about finishing the MX2. First glitch was that nothing fit the CF wing tube: fuselage and both wings were too tight. Maybe the paper tubes shrank? Also, my poor bird has more wrinkles than a prune; getting in lots of time with the covering iron trying to get the covering tight again. Maybe a heat gun would work better. Otherwise, everything else fits, and it's just a matter of putting it all together.
    Gravity is just a theory...
    P-40 Brotherhood #32, Glowhead Brotherhood #63

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've used alitte baby powder on that wing tube and a heat gun is the best way to tighten your covering up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wonder if putting my H stab on upside down could have gave me the minus 1 degree incendent. Mine is the green and I wanted the white on the stab on the top instead of the green.
    I can't wait till the weekend an fly her

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, so my update after the carb alterations...

first off, the air tube for the diaphragm trick works great..... it doesnt "improve" anything (ie it isnt a wonder-fix for badly tuned motors), but yeah I am getting a far closer mix on the ground to in the air... note its not 100% the same but the difference between on the ground and in the air is far smaller.

The carb air hole cover, that one i'll be un-doing.
    I'm finding that most times I try to start, the engine wont "pop" with carb closed.. its just going from dry to too wet instantly... so in the end I have to get the electric starter out and spin the prop over with the carb open and the throttle down low to get it dried out again and start.

OK, next "project".
    Today 2 things happened, I finished the last of my first 5 liters of "run-in fuel" with a higher oil content (32:1 I think it was).
    2nd thing, my exhaust fell off mid flight!!!!

Long & short of it is that by luck, yesterday I had ordered a new pitts style exhaust and today I had to mix up new fuel at normal 40:1 rate... so the exhaust working loose wasnt too much of a hardship! Its saved me a little workshop time getting it off again for the new pitts muffler that should arrive on tuesday!
    Next time, more loctite me thinks!

Its just going to be interesting working out how to get the cowel on and off with a pitts muffler... one of those things I can only work out once its all in my hands..

I have also ordered one of the new "ICM-6" spark plugs.... just to see what its like.

All in all, that means iΒ΄m managing to get all the changes done at once, so it will just be one carb tuning session later.

The mx2 though.. WOW..
    Just starting to REALLY get some 3d out of it... knife-edge spins and waterfalls.. really simple but "wowing" other club members
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When installing my mufflers I don't use the gasket supplied with the engine, I use High Temp silicone gasket maker and secure the bolts by using the same silicone as a thread locker. It works for me all the time and never have experienced a loose muffler.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the Jtec Pitts on my DLE-30. It's one of the best mufflers out there in my opinion. I use only the high temp silcone gasket maker as already stated, and then I use "red" locktite to secure the bolts. I used to usethe blue version, but the bolts have loosened on me over time.

I wound up cutting my cowl from the cylinder head back all the way throughthe cowl ring. Myignition line goes between the exhaust pipes and has worked fine. As long as it is secure it never touches the pipes. It makes fora nice simple rectangularcutin the bottom of the cowl and it is still very strong.

I've seen a few at my field that have vented the carb diaphram to the pill bottle thing for a constant static pressure to the engine. I think this is "plane" specific and have never had an issue with my MX2 yet with it.

Oil and ratios are ofcourse a matter of preference. I've seen no reason to go lean. Stihl UltraHP at 32:1 works great for me and I know my engine is running cool.

It's a fun plane no doubt, for my first 3-D capable machine it's beenvery predictable and ajoy to fly. I really want the 50cc version!
    If you cannot afford to do something right, then be darn sure you can afford to do it wrong.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Capt Cash

I have the Jtec Pitts on my DLE-30.Β* It's one of the best mufflers out there in my opinion.Β* I use only the high temp silcone gasket maker as already stated, and then I use ''red'' locktite to secure the bolts.Β* I used to useΒ*the blue version, but the bolts have loosened on me over time.

I wound up cutting my cowl from the cylinder head back all the way throughΒ*the cowl ring.Β* MyΒ*ignition line goes between the exhaust pipes and has worked fine.Β* As long as it is secure it never touches the pipes.Β* It makes forΒ*a nice simple rectangularΒ*cutΒ*in the bottom of the cowl and it is still very strong.

I've seen a few at my field that have vented the carb diaphram to the pill bottle thing for a constant static pressure to the engine.Β* I think this is ''plane'' specific and have never had an issue with my MX2 yet with it.

Oil and ratios are ofcourse a matter of preference.Β* I've seen no reason to go lean.Β* Stihl UltraHP at 32:1 works great for me and I know my engine is running cool.

It's a fun plane no doubt, for my first 3-D capable machine it's beenΒ*very predictable and aΒ*joy to fly. Β*I really want the 50cc version!
    Definitely agree about the 50cc or even the 100cc!

Any chance you can post a photo of your cowl?
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: Capt Cash

I have the Jtec Pitts on my DLE-30. It's one of the best mufflers out there in my opinion. I use only the high temp silcone gasket maker as already stated, and then I use ''red'' locktite to secure the bolts. I used to usethe blue version, but the bolts have loosened on me over time.

I wound up cutting my cowl from the cylinder head back all the way throughthe cowl ring. Myignition line goes between the exhaust pipes and has worked fine. As long as it is secure it never touches the pipes. It makes fora nice simple rectangularcutin the bottom of the cowl and it is still very strong.

I've seen a few at my field that have vented the carb diaphram to the pill bottle thing for a constant static pressure to the engine. I think this is ''plane'' specific and have never had an issue with my MX2 yet with it.

Oil and ratios are ofcourse a matter of preference. I've seen no reason to go lean. Stihl UltraHP at 32:1 works great for me and I know my engine is running cool.

It's a fun plane no doubt, for my first 3-D capable machine it's beenvery predictable and ajoy to fly. I really want the 50cc version!
    Definitely agree about the 50cc or even the 100cc!

Any chance you can post a photo of your cowl?

Sorry for the large images but I still can't figure out how to post thumbnails.

If you cannot afford to do something right, then be darn sure you can afford to do it wrong.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi everyone..............

Don't know if you all may be already aware that Redwing RC is introducing the new MXS-R version of the MX and it should be ready for delivery soon. Take a look of the new MXS-R HERE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dave de

Kerwin50, even with upthrust, wouldn't you be able to get level flying with more down elevator???
    Hi Guys I'm catching up on things and starting to get back to the threads.

When your C/G is correct and the Thrust is off, You can still trim the plane for level flight at a certain speed such as half throttle. When you increase the speed the trim changes. Such as the plane climbs. That shows that you have a thrust angle issue. Hope that helps.
    Old Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a question...

Today someone at the club retuned my engine. and while it does sound far happier now......
    I let another club member have a try.. he took it for a loop.... at the top of the loop while inverted he had the gas stick all the way down..
    At this moment the engine slowed down and stopped!! It wasn't a sudden "stop" there was a definite slowing down.
    I even heard it coming and told him to give it gas NOW, but his answer, rather than move his thumb was "why?"

Well I snatched the TX and managed to land fine...

Would I be right in thinking I should open the low needle a TINY TINY touch?

The real shame is that with a few meters more height I think it would've restarted in the air... the prop was fliping over in the wind... on the ground it just took 2 more flips to start!!
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I keep my idle set pretty high when flying in maneuvers like this where youroften stalled or near stall withvery lowspeedandidle power. It's cheap insurance I figure against dead sticks. Then for landing I simply flip my idle-down switch to get the speed down on approach.

I'm by no means an expert on tuning gassers, but I have found in general that I've unknowingly tuned them on the lean side many times before.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah I have an idle up programmed too..

it is a little lower than I would like after retuning today...... maybe its just that.
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would try going a blade width one way or the other on the LS needle and see what changes you have made once your prop has unloaded. You can never completely tune an engine on the ground.
    I got my DLE 30 running perfect today after going one blade with on the LS. WAY too much power for this plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After rereading your post I believe you need to increase your pop-off pressure on your diaphram.
    Jody from valley veiw has stated this several times that many times if you have a proper set-up and the engine dies in high g move then it is your pop off pressure. http://indianatinygasengines.com/page3.aspx
    check this link out

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can also say that it will loose a fair few RPM if I tilt it nose down..

If it is set to around 3500 rpm, when I point the plane nose down it will drop to around 2200 ish...
    if I do this while at idle it dies.
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Where can Ifind a replacement wing tude for this model? What outside diametreto state forthe tube when ordering?

Thanks for the help.

Dale

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DaleD

Where can IΒ*find a replacement wing tude for this model?Β* What outside diametreΒ*to state forΒ*the tube when ordering?

Thanks for the help.

Dale
    You can try at Graph Tech RC or TNT Composites. As far as the tube size, measure the fuselage insert tube because I don't have mine readily available at this time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it is 62cm x 2cm (well 19.8 to be exact).
    Trex 500

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast