Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

RedWing MX2 Build

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

RedWing MX2 Build

Old 06-14-2011, 07:53 AM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RedWing MX2 Build

ORIGINAL: ceecrb1

it is 62cm x 2cm (well 19.8 to be exact).
Thanks for the quick responses. ceecrb1, for confirmation do you mean 62cm x 1.98cm (620mm x 19.8mm)
Old 06-14-2011, 08:08 AM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DaleD

it is 62cm x 2cm (well 19.8 to be exact).
Thanks for the quick responses. ceecrb1, for confirmation do you mean 62cm x 1.98cm (620mm x 19.8mm)
I'm sorry the TNT link was the wrong one [link=http://www.tntlandinggear.com/composite_tubes.htm]HERE IS THE CORRECT ONE[/link]
Old 06-14-2011, 08:43 AM
DaleD

Based on post from ceecrb1 and if I assume that we are working with 19.8mm OD, the closest thing I am finding from TNTis 3/4" or 19.05mm OD. Need to know if the .75mm difference would make a difference.

Thanks
Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 AM
kerwin50

Sometimes a light coating of paint will help bring a wing tube in to tolerance
Old 06-14-2011, 11:39 AM
ceecrb1

or I could sell my spare at a silly expensive price

honestly I do have 2 official mx2 wing tubes.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Tseres

Quick question.. I know its been asked 10000000 times but I cant seem to find ''real'' answers.... some yes'es and some no's

Would a pitts muffler drop the noise level of the jc28? Club members are starting to make comments......

Got mine going great. I dont know how, but this new mx2 ''feels'' to fly better than the old!
I dont know how...

Managed a 30 second PERFECTLY stationary hover yesterday with it on its first flight and it took off, and after just 4 meters of flight I was able to ''hands in the air'' off the sticks for level flight.

Today: knife edge spin learning. Great fun

Finally I just need to find someone more experienced than me at turning rc gassers.. Its running ''fine'' ie no dead sticks in the air.... but at low idle it just keeps giving me signs its about to die out..
It will tend to stop when I land as well.. just after touching down, it stops..
I do always fly with an ''idle up'' option and just reduce the idle for landing and taxiing.. but still. There has been one or two occasions that I felt I had to give it a ''jab'' of gas to save it while it was in the air...
That noise of it sounding like its slowing.. Just happens once in a while when I perform a tumble or something like that.
Check the reeds in your engine. It should have the fiber ones. The first engines had metal reeds and they were to strong. The fiber ones are thinner and should stop the engine from dying.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Tseres

DaleD. I went back and tried to find why you are looking for a new wing tube. Couldn't find it.

If your tube is just loose and you have paper tube liners. You can soak some thin CA on the outside edge of the liner. About a 1/2 to 1in deep will be enough. That swelles your paper liner up and tightens the fit of the tube.
If that's not your problem then it's still good info for those that are afraid to ask.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:42 AM
DaleD

Thanks for the TIP Old Tom.

I happen to have two MX2's. The wing tube for first one broke due to a mishap when a servo arm came loose in flight. Taught me a valuable lesson regarding checking and double checking EVERYTHINGbefore each flight.

I am in the process of finalizing the repairs and so would like to get a new tube.

Thanks Again.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Tseres

Have you tried all the Gold wing dealers for a replacement tube. I bet all the 30 cc size planes are the same.
Try Red Aero in Fl. Bob's RC in Orlando also has a lot of parts.

PS: I think all the EG models are the same also. An EG dealer will also be able to help you. Wont hurt to check.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:48 PM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

I'll check with Tim to see if he has any set to the side... but that's typically not one of those highly sought after parts, usually if the wing tube breaks the rest of the plane went along with it.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:19 PM
dave de
My Feedback: (12)

Airtech, what size pilot is that in your mx2.....thanks
Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 AM
DaleD

A standard 1/4 scale bust should work. I installed a 1/6 scale bust that I had around in my MX2 but it looks too small so I will be changing it later.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 AM
ceecrb1

ORIGINAL: Tseres
Check the reeds in your engine. It should have the fiber ones. The first engines had metal reeds and they were to strong. The fiber ones are thinner and should stop the engine from dying.
Yeah they are metal.

does anybody know where I can get the fiber ones?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: dave de

Airtech, what size pilot is that in your mx2.....thanks
1/4 scale
Old 06-26-2011, 06:38 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: Tseres
Yeah they are metal.

does anybody know where I can get the fiber ones?
Try the Dealer in Spain where you got the engine. Henry at RC Aero Products is where I got mine but he seems to be out of business.
Tom at Plane Addicts in Florida seems to be the new distributor of JC in the US. Maybe he can help. http://www.planeaddicts.com/tips-and-tricks.shtml
Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Tseres

I guess I'm not so mart about the 28 as I thought. Had the dreaded flameout on a flat spin. I don't know If it was the tilt problem or if I just had the idle to low. Ether way there was some minor damage. I bent the aluminum landing gear. Busted both wheel pants and when It flipped on the canopy it busted it. To my surprise there were no structural damage to the fuse or the wing. I actually wing tipped and cartwheeled the plane. New wheel pants and a canopy and bend the gear back. Oh yeah I also broke the prop so I have a Hawk 18-6 prop coming. That should get it back in the air. Didn't take any pictures yet but I will before I start fixing it and put it in my Sboch thread. I don't want to clutter up the MX2 thread. My Sboch is though. I really thought it was a write off when It cartwheeled.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Night Scream

Um what's the knife edge spin?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:41 PM
T3beatz

here ya go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUNuJjUaWpk

It's basically like a vertical falling knife edge while spinning on the planes lateral axis.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Night Scream

Whoa great manuver!! but for now i will try it this next weekend on my 260.

Now um at what day andtime can i reach Tim??

I wanna order the mx2 plus a few other goodies from his page but iwish to call him directly.

Please let me know..
Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 AM
T3beatz

ORIGINAL: Night Scream

Whoa great manuver!! but for now i will try it this next weekend on my 260.

Now um at what day andtime can i reach Tim??

I wanna order the mx2 plus a few other goodies from his page but iwish to call him directly.

Please let me know..

Shoot him an email [email protected] I'm sure he can set a time for you to call him...

Old 10-10-2011, 01:30 PM
ceecrb1

Updates from me:

Another user has pointed out to me that the JC28 "nose tip and stall" problem can be fixed by swapping the carb to a walbro wt-718-1 so got one of those on order!
Also ordered a trumpet...

Flew mine 2 weeks ago at a public model airshow.... was a great day. plane was flawless, just used my "idleup" mix to keep the idle quite high while in the air and no problems.. public seem to like the mx2, it appeared in many photos that day!

SO.. Currently working on SMOKE!
I've ordered a harris smoke pump as they are so light (same as a digital servo!) and use near to know current.

Going to show photos of my (so far) install. At the moment the pump has not arrived but the tanks & nipple for the muffler has..

For a while now I have been using a Dubro 12oz tank with a ceramic filter/clunk and its been going REALLY well, so I didnt want to loose this... however the dubro tanks are quite wide as they are not very tall...
After looking online at various brands, 2 of the Hayes 11oz tank (from towerhobbies) worked out (on paper/by measurement) to be a good fit..
Today they arrived... Well... The dubro tank and one Hayes fit to the MILLIMETER! Absolutely perfect fit, wall to wall.
The battery packs are now under the fuel tanks, in their original spaces and I have worked out how to rig the pump right on the C/G so other than weight increase I should see absolutely no change to flight characteristics!!
In "theory" for normal days I can remove the pump if it makes ANY difference as the empty tank will not make any... But I just dont expect too much of a difference on a normal day running it "dry".

I know that I would be "better" using the larger tank for smoke, and the smaller for fuel, but I have been really happy with the heavy ceramic clunk and It just wont fit though the TINY hole in the Hayes tank.
I would however rather run out of smoke oil early rather than fuel

Finally the nipple I used to tap the muffler was acutally a replacement part for an OS engine . (OS Nipple No. 7 Code:22681957 again, from tower)
Now this also fits PERFECTLY into the "joiner part" of the exhaust, meaning that with the addition of a bit of JB Weld, it is perfectly placed at the exhaust output of the engine!
The photo makes it look like the nipple is touching the wall of the muffler.. it isnt. There is a perfectly sized gap to fit in the neoprene tubing and secure it with twisted wire.

Check the photos!

I'll keep things up to date as they happen.. most interesting to me is the carb issue!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14702.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1672414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95843.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1672415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze87124.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1672416  
Old 10-15-2011, 05:38 AM
ceecrb1

So...
SMOKIN!

Well for me the smoke pump it could not have been easier. In the end my end point was at -75% starting from -100% thats NOTHING!

So my 11oz smoke tank only really needs half filled for a "light" smoking!! Also this means that there will be minimal consumption of the battery!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75949.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1674585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77251.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1674586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33298.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1674587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80350.jpg
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1674588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96305.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	1674589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gw29670.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1674590  
Old 10-15-2011, 05:48 AM
T3beatz

Nice smoke! looks good, about how much weight did you add? 4-5oz?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:55 AM
kerwin50

O that is nice, I'm looking to putting smoke on my plane.
Now afterr flying several other 3D planes I really feel that this plane is by far the easiest to fly and do beginner 3D
I have some 3DHS planes but they are not as easy to3D as the MX.
Now of course if I was a 3D pilot it wouldn't make a difference. But I can flatspin, hover, waterfalls, KE spins, lomcevaks this plane all day long and with out alot of effort.
If only my other planes made me look this good.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:17 AM
ceecrb1

ER... weight...
2.2 oz for the (harris smoke) pump.. plus an 11oz (volume) fuel tank, which weighs nothing... plus the fuel nipple, non return valve and the tygon.
more likely 3.5-4 oz? Or less? Also like I said earlier.. in my first flight I flew 8 minutes and just "used" the smoke .. it wasnt on 100% of the time, but for manuvers etc.. and when I landed I had at least 1/3rd of a tank left!!
i'll just need to learn to what level in the smoke tank is "just right".
I'm also thinking of replacing the dubro (12oz) fuel tank for the 2nd hayes (11oz)
I keep landing having used near to no fuel.. it just seems pointless taking up the space and the weight of fuel i'm not needing!! BUT like I said earlier.. I loose that nice ceramic clunk I have!

I think the extra cost of getting the harris pump really paid off as it is half the weight of the more common sullivan pump plus physically smaller.

All in all not too bad a new toy!

The only "problem" I have is that the new filling hand pump I got for smoke fluid leaks!! I dont mind cleaning a greasy plane after but would like to keep my hands clean before picking up the TX!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.