Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 TwinO changed my mind

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 TwinO changed my mind

Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Hanger 9 TwinO changed my mind

I was given a few ARF planes last year, a CARF Extra 330L, a Funtana 90 and a H9 Twin Otter. They were all complete, just needed to be setup. The CARF needs the servos arms redone, he used aluminum arms with ball swivels and according to the manual, Dont Do That! So I have to swap out all the arms, otherwise it would be ready. The Funtana needs a different RX and batteries, and since it need 6S Lipo, I decided to wait, dont want to dish out the cash at this time for batteries.

So The TO I took it apart, made some minor adjustments(burned up a flap servo in the process), and got it ready for flight. Overall contruction looks good. I could not see anything that would be a potential issue. It is setup with Eflite power 25 motors and proper ESC, and I have one spare of each. Stuck a 9 channel RX for the JR 12X radio in it, disable flaps for now until I get new servos for them. balanced it out, and took it to the flying field on Tuesday.

All I can say is, after a few taxi tests and a servo adjustment for the nose wheel ( I separated the nose and rudder channels and bound them on the radio), I was ready for flight. Off it went, nice and smooth and the onlyadjustment was up trim on the elevator.

This plane looks Awesome in flight, It handles well, banks in a scale like manner and it quite predictable in its stall. It lands very well, though a bit on the hot side without flaps, but its the first trike that I am able to land without flipping over. The Apprentice and T-34 have a tendency of nosing over on landing, but may be do to my choice of wheels as they are larger than stock for grass landings, the TO has the stock wheels on it and they do fine on grass. I got 3 flights on it so far on Tuesday and only used 2 sets of batteries during that time. That big fin in the back makes sideslipping a breeze, and the digital servos he installed are fast so its very responsive, almost to the point where some Expo would be a good thing.

I may swap out the servos for some standards since it really doesnt need these kind of servos, and I can use them in my Chipmunk instead where they would be more practical.

Only thing missing is the top hatch, I havent been able to find one, so may just have to find the thick plastic they use an make one.

My disaster experience with the wing blowing off the Sig ARF, had really soured me for pre built planes, but this Hanger 9 one has made me change my mind as it appears to be well built and a superb flyer.