Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

RedWing MX2 Build

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

RedWing MX2 Build

Old 09-11-2010, 10:14 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RedWing MX2 Build

Finally I found time to start working on the MX2. I am really enjoying this build since this model is such a well engineered kit. I want to take my time putting together this kit and try to report as much of the details as I possibly can. So far today I have just finished the wings. It took me about some five hours to complete that task, and that was because I waited 1 hour for the aileron horns epoxy to cure and took lots of photos. I didn't bothered with using the hot iron since I didn't found a single wrinkle in the wings covering. By the way Tim was so nice to include a set of 18 gauge wire extensions set and the kit comes with all the necessary safety clips. I recommend this optional extension package when ordering the kit. It will save you a trip to the hobby shop, and they are cut to the correct size.

All the horns on my kit are of the FG type and they fit perfectly on their slots. Make sure to lightly scuff the surface of the horns that will contact the slots for a good solid bond to the FG. I prefer epoxy for this job and always install the ball links before gluing the horns to prevent them from misalignment, make sure the ball link bolt is aligned with the hinge line. A loose horn could be catastrophic, believe me I learned that the hard way. I prefer the aluminum horns for security, other folks don't like them because of weight. Aluminum horns have been proven to be very secure and Pattern ship jockeys that's all they use and the weight difference is negligible.. In any case FG horns are perfectly fine as long as they are properly installed.

The only problem so far were that the small servo wheels on the Power HD 150MG's servos proved to be a tad small for the provided aluminum arms. I had to use the large wheels and modified them a bit. A quick work with my jig saw and a little sanding with a Dremel sanding drum reduced the large wheel to the correct size. In the process I polished the arms edge back to the bare aluminum just for kicks, I think they look cool this way (see photos). Found out the arms need to be drilled with a #40 Wire Gauge drill bit to accommodate the Ball Links bolts. Since I was working with the aileron arms I decided to finish all the other servo arm assembly and lo and behold and to my surprise all other three Hitec 645MG's servos wheels were a perfect fit, even the holes align perfectly. Please note I always install a washer on the ball link to make sure in case the socket decides to separate from the ball.

I started on the elevator assembly but I am getting a bit old and I need my sleep so I will continue tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92821.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1499043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66308.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1499044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87777.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	1499045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66357.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1499046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68800.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1499047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc48353.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	1499048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx47411.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1499049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ml38267.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1499050  

Old 09-12-2010, 01:15 AM
T3beatz
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: RedWing MX2 Build

Just dropping in to check the build out! good work so far... If you have any questions let me know.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 AM
Tseres

We are here. Keep going.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 AM
SkyPilot101

who carries this plane in the U.S.?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Tseres

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

who carries this plane in the U.S.?
Redwing RC
http://www.redwingrc.com/aircraft.html
Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 AM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

Nice looking plane RAF. Will be watching your thread and looking forward to seeing it fly at the field in the near future. Looks like a good home for your 26cc Evolution. The hardware looks decent too. I have used the fiberglass control horns and have had really good luck with them. I think this size plane is going to take over where the 50cc planes have left off. They are smaller, lighter, easier to haul, and cheaper to assemble. Flying characteristics have to be close to the same as a 50cc sized plane.

Mike
Old 09-12-2010, 04:53 PM
RedwingRC

Well Put Mike!  And up to a few years ago, messy expensive nitro wast he only option in this size due to power weight.  Now you can get a good flying plane in this size and go gas.  It has almost 100% the advantages of a 50cc sized plane, and then a few others 50cc doesn't have. 

If you guys have any quesitons on it, just give us a ring or an email.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:45 PM
AirTech

Just got back home from a doctors appointment so I haven't work on MS2 today so far. I did work some five hours yesterday and have been doing some progress. Took me 45 minutes to epoxy the stab in place. In that regard I noted there were no specific instructions on this procedure. Unfortunately there is a somewhat cryptic diagram on page 12 of my manual and that is just around the end before CG Location. For those builders that are not that experienced it will not make them any good to try to "adjust" the aircraft symmetry once the tail surfaces have been already glued. On this diagram you may use any of the reference points to position the stab, I prefer method labeled C=C' . By the way; In the manual it shows one to measure the stab from the very center of the rear of the spinner to both front tips of the stab and make both measurements equal before marking the position prior to the removal of off the covering and final gluing. I believe that since the cowl have a couple of degrees of right thrust built in this will skew your measurements. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I always use the same method except that I halve the width of former "B" (the one in font of the tank) and stick a T Pin as my datum, tie a string Kevlar is best (because it doesn't stretch) to the pin and wrap a piece of masking tape around the string close to either front stab corner. Make sure that the distance from the rudder hinge line to the stab tips is equal first and then use the string to balance both tips to equal distance. You may found out the need to slide the tape back and forth while rotating the stab until the tape matches both stab tips (see photo). I also noted the manual does not mention to make sure and verify the horizontal alignment of the stab. I simply do that by placing a straightedge on the canopy saddle and standing some six feet away visually make sure the straightedge is parallel to the stab, and periodically check while the glue is curing. You may also install the wings and and use them do the same.

Besides that all else in this build have been really good surprises. One bonus I was not aware of is the built in canister tunnel. Really neat and there is the option of installing the tunnel cover. Now that is quite intelligent engineering and forethought. If I would have known this I would have ordered the excellent tuned canister silencer offered by Horizon for the 26GX . Not only you increase a couple hundredth RPM's, the output sound is really sweet and it meets sound regulations. That translates to a few more points to all of you IMAC competitors. I might order one of them even if it's means that it will delay the build because I have to wait for the part.

Another fine point is the excellent cowl mounting systems beautifully matched paint colors and perfectly aligning trim lines. I decided to install the engine and cowl before adding the tail feathers because it is so much easier while the fuse is siting vertical on the floor to measure and align everything. Well let my go back to trimming the cowl. I have the engine mounted and need to cut the breathing holes for the engine. Regarding the engine install; I substituted the engine mount for a GP 120-150 adjustable mount (my predilection) although the provide mount will work just fine. I am also using all SAE hardware on the engine mounting, and that is just another preference. I drill and tap my mounts and Metric taps are very hard and expensive to obtain. Until next time.....................happy building!

Name:	Pn35300.jpg
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	1500291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68337.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1500292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92478.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	1500293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf93870.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1500294  
Old 09-13-2010, 04:17 PM
RedwingRC

Hey Raph! I took the time to make the video and your using the crappy manual!

Here's a link. It shows you how to do the tail and everythign else. Engine won't apply. I used the JC 28cc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingR.../0/mdnin-aKQb4

Click on playlists and then MX2 Build videos. They are numbered and segmented into steps
Old 09-13-2010, 07:44 PM
Bob Parker

I clicked on the link and it brings you back to Raf`s build thread.
Bob
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM
AirTech

Hey Tim somehow you pasted the address for my tread post, so the link takes you back to the same place. Anyway I appreciate the intention the video will make the build so much easier, please re-send it once more.

This evening I had a chance to work a couple of hours and was able to finish the engine installation and most of the cowl air breathing holes. I am pleased with the cowl appearance but I am planning on closing the scale front air vents to allow better air flow around the engine cylinder. This subject is a point of contention with some builders. My opinion is based on the fact that air likes the easier path around any object it encounters and those big scale holes are irresistible. Most large scale gas powered models need baffling to achieve good air flow and cooling over their cylinders. If you pay attention and specially in large radial cowled models they have a large plate or dummy cylinders with only a small opening in front of the cylinder. The important point is to provide an exhaust hole approximately three times the size of the area of the intake. That way the exhaust air will actually vacuum the air from the cowl inside therefore increasing air flow speed through the smaller intake opening..

Tomorrow I am going flying early in the morning and may be able to do some more work in the afternoon.

Name:	Jh14923.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	1500522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58386.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1500523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65965.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1500524   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78874.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1500525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj64028.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1500526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jz39326.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1500527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pr25963.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1500528  
Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM
RedwingRC

http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingR.../0/mdnin-aKQb4

here it is!sorry about that!Let me know if it helps

Tim
Old 09-14-2010, 07:31 AM
AirTech

Thank you Tim, I am sure it will.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:52 AM
T3beatz

I got some video so I figured I'd post it here too!  [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsdEPa70dMc[/youtube]
Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 AM
RedwingRC

Damn good flying there man!  TJ is one heck of a pilot.  The plane flys great also, but I'm always sure to give credit to the pilot FIRST   It's always insulting when I hear someone say to another pilot who's flying well, "MAN that PLANE flies well", lol! 

That plane is a GREAT tool in your hands TJ.  Thank you for posting your experiences with it.  Glad you like it
Tim

Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

The golfer Lee Trevino once said about new golf clubs, "It aint the arrow, its the Indian that makes the difference". That being said, that pilot flies that nice flying airplane, very well. LOL.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Just found this thread....I am a bit confused....Is this plane an MS2 or MX2? I never heard of the MS2.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 PM
RedwingRC

It is an MX2.  Perhaps the Moderator can adjust the title?  and delete these 2 posts then
Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: Johnny_Zero

Just found this thread....I am a bit confused....Is this plane an MS2 or MX2? I never heard of the MS2.
I am sorry about the typo, It's been corrected.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 PM
AirTech

Hey T that is some awesome flying, you huck that plane like it was a foamie. That's a cool video and the music rocks, good job.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 PM
AirTech

Believe or not I was able to squeeze out a couple hour after coming back home this evening. I finished cutting the muffler hole om the cowl. Man I hate working with fiberglass, one have to wear so much protection to avoid inhaling the stuff that it makes you sweat and it fogs my glasses. At least that's over and I include a photo of the final look. By the way note I sealed the cowl scale intake holes with a black plastic material which I RTV to the inside.

I keep on finding more very neat engineering details I haven't seen on any other models of this size and cost. For example the engine box is designed to accept throttle and or choke servos on any of three different positions, I have only seen this on 33% or larger models. In order to take advantage of this option I decided to install d pair of HS-82MG's to drive the throttle and choke. One great advantage of this setup is that one can install a direct servo link for slop free control. I only needed to epoxy a pair of 3/32" servo rails to the provided servo holes in order fit the two micro servos (see photo). For the benefit of those interested on fabricating their own carbon graphite links with ball link joints I explain the procedure.

First off you need the following materials:
(1) 1/8" O.D. Brass Tubing
(2) 5/32 O.D. carbon rod
(3) 4-40 threaded rod
(4) 4-40 Ball Links
(5) 4-40 Tap

First of cut a few 1/2" long brass tube pieces. De-burr and file flat the ends of the brass pieces. Slide one brass piece on the end of the carbon rod and bond with thick CA. The brass will reinforce the CG and prevents from splitting when tapping. Tap the ends with 4-40 tap about 1/2 inch into the CG rod and then tread the 4-40 threaded rod to that end and secure it with thick CA before it's fully threaded. Cut the CG rod to the necessary length and repeat the process on the opposite end. I like to top the ball link bolts with a #4 washer and use a safety nut. I also use aluminum arms and tap them to 4-40 thread for additional safety. Please note I bent the rod ends to provide the necessary clearance of the link from the engine. Well it's 11 PM and I need to get some rest, I will continue tomorrow.

Name:	Ro41830.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1502130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94101.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1502131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75519.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1502132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50222.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	1502133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv17282.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	1502134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10724.jpg
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	1502135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya56069.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1502136  
Old 09-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

Really nice work!
Old 09-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Cpt Crash
My Feedback: (12)

Nice work on that very clean engine setup. I'm still torn on whether to go with a nitro or gas engine, but the more I see about this airplane, the better I like it. I'll get working on mine once I decide on a powerplant.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:08 PM
T3beatz

Nice Job on the build!  Your a lot more meticulous than me, I just used Sulivan threaded rod for the whole linkage... Mine is a tad shorter than yours because the carb is in the back of the engine.

did you disco the spring from the throttle?  have you ever used one of the HS 82MG's for the throttle on one of these larger planes?  The reason why I ask is this is a bigger plane with more vibes than the small electrics and nitros that its intended for.  There was a thread I was following about them on profiles.  Once I find it I'll post the link.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:40 PM
AirTech

ORIGINAL: Cpt Crash

Nice work on that very clean engine setup. I'm still torn on whether to go with a nitro or gas engine, but the more I see about this airplane, the better I like it. I'll get working on mine once I decide on a powerplant.
For the cost of the one of the new 30cc gas engines already in the market you will do yourself a disservice if you don't go gas. There are so much easier to operate, cheaper on the fuel expenses, extremely reliable and more powerful than glow. In any case Redwing models, contrary to other manufacturers that designed gas as the optional choice, are designed with gas engines as the primary type of powerplant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.