RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   GP Waco? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/10207856-gp-waco.html)

Lifer 08-23-2012 02:03 AM

RE: GP Waco?

DLE 30 swings a 20x6 prop well, and gives realistic performance and looks good, too.

Mpizpilot 08-25-2012 02:40 PM

All finished up. Pretty straight forward, but my god, what a huge PITA the cowl mounting is!

Mpizpilot 08-26-2012 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maidened today. What a great flying airplane! Love it, a real floater and looks the part in the air. Though I have to say, the 30 is alot of power. Unlimited vertical and the engine isn't even close to being broken in yet. I'm all for overpowering aerobatic aircraft but I think in this case the 30 is overkill. On my third flight, the fuel line was rubbing the cylinderhead (couldn't see it) and caused an engine out in a bad spot. Landed a little long and went off the end of the runway, from the racket it made as it flipped over in the high grass I though for sure it was done. When I got to it, was pleased to find only a single little crack in the left wheel pant and some dirt on the wingtip.

Mpizpilot 08-26-2012 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more

Mpizpilot 09-01-2012 05:42 PM

I guess I'm late to the party with this plane, because I'm quite surprised there isn't more activity in this thread. The more I get to fly this plane,it is quickly becoming my favorite.

Chillybee 10-20-2012 08:33 AM

I have a Saito 1.25 in mine and plan on flying it this weekend. After installing a SlimLine muffler, the cg right at 5 1/4" like the instructions say so I'm hoping for the best. The plane almost looks too good to fly!

erans 10-21-2012 01:45 AM

It is a very easy aeroplane to fly, you will have great time flying it set up at centre of CGrange.
The SAITO 1.25 should be perfect for it.

Eran

Chillybee 10-21-2012 07:55 PM

I wanted to fly it today but the wind was too high. But at least the motor is running great along with a perfect idle. Judging by how quickly it picked up speed rolling across my lawn, it has plenty of power to take of and fly. Looks like maybe I can try again later on during the week...can't wait!

flyntruk 10-21-2012 08:31 PM

Chilly... What size prop you turning on the 1.25 ?

Chillybee 10-22-2012 07:28 AM

Flyntruk,

I'm using a wooden RCGP 16x6 prop and it seems to pull great along with still give an idle where the plane won't move. I actually bought the motor used off of eBay for $190 last year and it's well broken in.

Chillybee

erans 10-22-2012 02:30 PM

Iwas using APC 15x8 on the Saito FG20 (which is identical to the 1.25) and it performed well.

Chillybee 10-23-2012 05:04 AM

That FG must sound great! How do you like it? I was thinking about getting one.

erans 10-23-2012 05:45 AM

The sound is great.
My main issue with this engine is the 20:1 petrol mix, which is very different to any other petrol engine.
This require to cart another fuel container to the field if you have multiple petrol engines powered aeroplanes in your fleet.
It also spits a lot of the oil on the aeroplane, which is what you try to avoid by using petrol powered aeroplanes (compared to glow).

I had many issues with the engine after it was involved in a crash early on, so it is hard for me to give unbiased opinion.
When it works, it is fantastic little engine.

Eran

deadstick79 10-27-2012 11:48 AM

Hey All,
Just joined after reading EVERY post here :)
I have the Dynam Waco 50" and it's running on a 5S 4000mah batt.
She's a real joy to fly and the favorite of my stable of 6 planes!
I will be getting the GP model by Xmas!
I flew large planes back in the early 80s' and used the old Quadra 40... most excellent engine for its time :)
Looking forward to this project and am planning to use the Dle 20
buen cielo,
Dan

WindGap 10-28-2012 02:32 PM

After a year flying this Waco, my few complaints include: short wheelbase so it doesn't taxi well, landing gear plastic covers are crappy and crackly, and pilots bail in mid flight. lost two pilots already.

I think the Dole 20 has plenty power to do Aerobatic flying. A four stroke fg-20 or fg30 would be preferable cause the sound is intoxicating.

erans 10-29-2012 03:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ihave 50 flights on my WACO, and on my last flight yesterday one of the brackets holding the "N" strut onto the bottom wing snapped...
I admit that I do take it through some harsh "non scale" manoeuvres, but this should not happen...
It currently equipped with the MVVS 30cc, and power is almost unlimited.

WindGap - Iam surprised on your taxi comment, I actually really like the ground handling, with the exception of acceleration for take off, where the torque of the 18x8 really make tracking straight difficult.
As to the sound, Iam with you on the comment that you cannot beat the FG-20 for this aeroplane. When I had it in, Iused to fly it low pass pulling away in front of me just so I can listen to it.
Performance was very scale with it.

Eran

aframe2 10-29-2012 08:11 AM

Erans, I've flown my Waco all season long and all of my brackets broke, one after the other. I went
to my LHS, becasuse Great Planes told me they couldn't sell me a replacement pack of brackets. The
LHS found some that I think went to another bi-plane, the name escapes me now, but the brackets worked
great, they were a little heavier, and some you had to bend to the right angle, but they haven't broke.
I think the name of that bi-plane goes something like pe 6 Hawk, some kind of hawk. You see it in
all the books, it is yellow and black and has some white stripes on it. Good luck, Aframe2

flyntruk 10-29-2012 11:06 AM

Windgap // I changed my tail wheel first thing .. I went to Dubro 1 inch tail wheel .. Really helped ..

erans 10-29-2012 08:16 PM

Thank you for the info aframe2.
Ihave access to bracket laser cutting facility and Iwill get some made from thicker metal.

patniven 11-04-2012 10:03 AM

Tower Hobbies just changed the price of this ARF to $319.22 (?) Is that a typo?
I bought one...:D

shford 11-04-2012 01:38 PM

Not a typo, just ordered it. Couldn't believe price. Being super club member I got another $50 off! Sweet!

handyman 220 11-04-2012 01:40 PM

They did it with the GS P-40 about 1 month ago also. I guess making a little profit is better than not selling any at a greater profit margin. :)

nitro wing 11-04-2012 03:36 PM

sheit, thats a good deal

kochj 11-05-2012 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The price was market down on there 50-60cc yak55m and the pitts as well for 450$...

The issue with China products is the Metal quality... not the fitment...
It is for this reason that many manufactures have to overbuild the metal products to account for this...
Aeroworks had issue with scale gear as well...so it doesn't matter who is making it...

I think that china can do better with Carbon Fiber products....
GP should make the cabane L- brackets out of that.... It wouldn't snap do to being over bent..

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGDB2&P=7
This may work as a replacement????
These will not break...

One could use copper coated computer board, and solder a support bracket over it, so it will hold it's "L" shape...

kochj 11-05-2012 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Mpizpilot

Been working on mine this, up to the engine install, so far everything is going together real well. I am a bit disappointed in some areas of the covering, it's a bit rough here and there the wing tips especially.

Mine came with a couple of broken stringers on the bottom of the fuse. Tower shipped me a roll of monokote for the repairs I have to make and wouldn't you know, there is a pretty decent variation in the colors. Stinks.
The monokote colors are MIXED, and then sprayed ontop the clear plastic.

From what I have heard... the colors have been like that lately, and even on the Models from factory....
Like any paint job... it can be difficult to match paint colors... Even more so, when you have a company in China
that could be supplimenting all kinds of chemicals to get the cheapest rate... W/o Topflite ever knowing so...
I think this is why Horrizon is keeping it's covering company in Germany...