RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   GP Waco? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/10207856-gp-waco.html)

kochj 11-05-2012 11:54 AM

RE: GP Waco?

I have placed my order today...
Even with color and other minor issues (almost all ARF's will)

I Am going to use my OS 1.60 Gem. 4stroke twin.
I had the engine in a Giant super Chipmunk (also great planes)
The twin engines with there very short prop shafts , and wide stance, made it
difficult...

I believe this engine has been used in this plane w/o any cutting..????

wore-out-pilot 11-05-2012 01:19 PM

At that price I got one two

Sandyt 11-05-2012 06:44 PM

Kochj

I am using the older OS 1.20 Gemini twin, which IIRC is exactly the same size as the 1.60. I had a friend make me some aluminum stand-offs and the engine bolted up perfectly. I put more effort into the fuel tank, which is way too high in the stock location, considering that these engines do not use muffler pressure and the carb is under the cylinders. I cut the inside of the fuse until a Sullivan 24 oz. tank would fit as low as possible. I still had issues with the mixture changing too much during the flight until I realized I didn't need that much fuel anyway. Now I fill the tank and then pump out fuel for 5 seconds and however much fuel is left in the tank is plenty for a 12 minute flight. YMMV literally :)

In any case, the only cuts to the cowl are for the needle valve and air-bleed screw (I have on-board glow), and a small square section at the bottom where the two exhaust pipe extensions exit. The sound of the twin is amazing!

SandyT

kochj 11-05-2012 08:37 PM

Thank you for the comments...Sandy

I had the same issues with my Chipmunk and the twin's carb ( it is the older airbleed style) and the tank located too high...

I have had many thoughts on converting it to gasoline w/walbro carb...but Idealy it should have 1-carb per cyl... so 2 carbs total...
Would be a tight fit.. or very clever placement...

The Twin is already spark ignition... from the original C&H ignition.

I had also thought about doing a perry pump, and rout the oil outlet through a catch container prior to going through the perry pump...
I would have to open the catch can and drain it occasionally...

Perhaps one could use a I-V style bag for fuel tank??? This would keep the fuel low, and never change position in relation to the carb-fuel tank line...

I have thought about that from time to time.. but fuel draw may be a issue... due to no clunk??? I guess I should post that q in a dif. forum post!...

patniven 11-06-2012 02:23 AM

Tower just  changed the price back to $499.  Did I get lucky, or did someone get fired this weekend at Tower?  Or both?

kochj 11-06-2012 09:48 AM

I felt I should have purchased the p-40 when it was 400$ but you have to purchase retracts ect.... and that would have been another 600$ to the price...
At least this plane doesn't require any additions to it's price....

I just hope I don't run into issues with the twin setup...(gas tank possition that is..)

Cheers...

Dick T. 11-06-2012 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: patniven

Tower just changed the price back to $499. Did I get lucky, or did someone get fired this weekend at Tower? Or both?
I often wonder if this isn't a sneak 24 hour sale. A friend landed a giant TF Corsair a month ago for less than half the current price. When he telephoned me about it the web site had the reduced price but the next morning it was back to current.

I have seen other big, limited time price reductions on Tower's site. Pays to browse it daily.

nitro wing 11-06-2012 08:47 PM

I would have grabbed it for sure, but RC funds and time are low right now, maybe next time

Mpizpilot 11-07-2012 09:18 PM

I've already got one flying and was looking for spares when I noticed the reduced price. Just snagged another one for $270 using my discount!!

raptureboy 11-08-2012 06:31 AM

It would be nice if they would give the club members a quick email saying like "one day sale" or something. I think it was a complete error on the webmasters part, because they seem to be always playing with the pricing right now. I mean a $180 drop in price from Tower? I'm sure that business is slow these days.

Lifer 11-08-2012 06:43 AM

I believe it is doing exactly what Tower has in mind: They want us looking over their website on a frequent basis. I am certain the same thing is going on in the car, and boat sections of their website as well.

kochj 11-08-2012 06:56 AM

Has anyone modded the wing so you can leave the center attached?
Would the metal supports be enough or would you need to do more?

welder101 11-08-2012 10:44 AM

The price was because it was in there daily sale items. I was watching it go done in price for about a week. They will put stuff in there if they have an overstock.

cannonball200 11-08-2012 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a full scale Waco YMF-5 that can be bought cheap! Two guy's in it, no injuries! Longville, Minnasota in 1997>> A bad crosswind landing...bounced, weather vaned, hit a ditch off the runway nose first & flipped on its back.

Chillybee 11-08-2012 03:52 PM

Ouch! I hope no one was hurt!

kochj 11-08-2012 11:13 PM

I guess I can't complain then....
I recieved my plane today.... It had 2 gaping holes all the way through both boxes and looks like a elephants wrinkled trunk on both ends!
I guess that means it was crushed...

Some minor damage to the balsa covering and the belly pan....

The main surprise was the amount of wrinkles....
My others planes of recent didn't have any....

The other thing, is the monokote seems to be a bad run....
The color goes to a lighter shade when heated...and stays tha way....
Kind of a Tie dye effect....

With monokote, you have to put in on right the 1st time, or it is a mess....
It could be the shrinking effect of wood but I am not going to agree with that...

I have been dealing with monokote for a long time, and can apply it right, even though, it was changed somewhat....
Monokote typically will not discolor unless it is heated soo high, that the paint boils and you get mottled.... NOT color change...
It is almost as Acetone or trim solvent, and leaches it .....

I will call up Tower tommorow.....
I just got done defending Monokote/ Topflite, and now this happens...

Lifer 11-09-2012 03:21 AM

My PT-17 had the same issue with the yellow Monokote. Most of the discoloration was on the bottom wing so I ignored it. The plane is a year old, so the QC issue must go back quite a ways.

wore-out-pilot 11-09-2012 05:53 AM

kochj i wonder if they sent you the one that was on scratch and dent list. The only thing was the covering had lots of wrinkles. I received mine and it looks ok I will have to go over it to get some small wrinkles out.

raptureboy 11-09-2012 10:05 AM

Ditto on the color issue., I have both a roll of cub yellow and the Pt-17 and the colors don't match and when you add heat it changes color and stays that way. My top wing color is different than the bottom wing. I sawthe Wacoon the scratch and dent sale and it's gone now, hope they didn't send that one. It was listed for 350 when the new ones were 319.00 I am going to recover mine sometime in Solertex, what a superior product next to monocrap.

kochj 11-11-2012 03:14 PM

Tower is talking care of it....
Sending out another.....

As far as the covering is concerned.....I don't know if I suddenly have figured out Monocoat, but I was able to take out the wrinkles....

The trick was to Push down the the sheeted areas with the Iron on hot, but not hot enough to discolor...

I used the iron as a squeegee and pushed the wrinkles to the edge, and had great results..
I used a heat gun for the open areas.....It shrunk up very nicely in those areas.....

raptureboy 11-12-2012 11:55 AM

I've had similar successusing the trim iron and poking tiny holes with the tip of a new #11 blade over the solid areas.

wore-out-pilot 11-12-2012 12:50 PM

Kochj, Glad you are getting taken care of, I think tower is great to deal with, they are first class.

kochj 11-16-2012 08:50 PM

Tower sent out another...recieved it yesturday...
UPS picked up the damaged one....

Couldn't believe it..... There was a HOLE in the EXACT same place as the previous box!.... WTH???
UPS BITES.... Big time...

I was lucky in that it got the other end of the box this time....
Did I mention, that the hole went through BOTH BOXES? The inner and outer box....

No damage on inside this one though....
I understand why Extreme flight doesn't use UPS... they use a dif. carrier...
THe only downside is....

I paid NO SHIPPING for the same size box as my 78" extra from extreme flight....
I paid 100$ from Extreme flight ....for shipping....
In the future If I buy from EF again... I would try to buy from a local Hobby store... but
NONE of them ever order from EF....

The covering is less wrinkled, but the spots over the solid wood, is wrinkled skin look....
Not sure if I can get those out....

I must that I I may strip this out when the covering is shot....and fabric it....

I may make my wings removable so the center wing stays on the plane....
The bottome wing may be more challenging, being the top wing is already in 3 parts....

I considered a 5cyl saito on this plane, but it would require some work on the cowl...
I have no doubt that it could take the extra weight, and still fly great....
This is a 1400+ sqauare area plane....

That would be considered great for a 50cc 3d plane...
I would have to make some bigger Spoons on the sides of the cowl

This cowl fits inside of the Top Flite staggerwings cowl... and the 325 radial just fits inside that
cowl....

flyntruk 11-17-2012 11:24 AM

Hey Kochi ... UPS uses box hooks at this time of year ... One solution is to order through your LHS ..

kochj 11-24-2012 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: flyntruk

Hey Kochi ... UPS uses box hooks at this time of year ... One solution is to order through your LHS ..
No one is local!...:(
All hobby shops are about to go into foreclosure.....wait, it isn't just hobby shops...it is ALL shops.....
The economy is a fish tank that has lost power to the heater, and filter, and bubbler....more fish will continue to be flushed down the toilet, as they start to die off.
We will all look back 5-10 years from now, and say ...WOW those crappy years turned out to be the GOOD YEARS....
Because it just continued to go bad from there and never recovered....