RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Seagull Sparrow Hawk 62cc (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/10630128-seagull-sparrow-hawk-62cc.html)

pettit 07-20-2011 05:47 AM

Seagull Sparrow Hawk 62cc

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pix of the Seagull Sparrow Hawk 62cc ARF from Horizon Hobbies. 85" span, maybe 19 to 20 pounds

The full scale photo of the off-white plane is the Miles M.5 Sparrowhawk (note spelling)

The full scale red plane is a Chilton D. W. 1 with the registration numbers that are applied to the Seagull ARF.

You are free to make up your own mind as to which plane you are actually building.

Planned engine will be a Zenoah G-62 with Pitts muffler.

VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS 07-20-2011 06:44 AM

RE: Seagull Sparrow Hawk 62cc

I love your qoute.

soarrich 07-20-2011 06:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That's a nice looking plane. I like the English 30's planes so much I made one up! I have to add the huge landing gear fairings, that really says English.

pettit 07-20-2011 06:51 AM

They're called TROUSERS!

Kmot 07-20-2011 08:31 AM

That instrument panel should be replaced with something more authentic looking. ;)

pettit 07-21-2011 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You mean like this one courtesy of a full scale Chilton DW.1 owner?

Kmot 07-21-2011 07:26 AM

Bingo! That'll work! :D

pettit 07-21-2011 07:45 AM

My next question for the readership is:

What do you think I should call this model when asked at the flying field?

Miles M.5 Sparrowhawk?

Chilton D. W. 1?

pettit 07-21-2011 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this one on another site.

Kmot 07-21-2011 11:37 AM

Ooooooh, that CGI version is perfect!

I would call it a Chilton. That will really confuse everyone and start arguments because Seagull calls it s Sparrowhawk. :)

Old Fart 07-22-2011 03:52 AM

That's a really nice plane and a good job you have done on it too,thanks for sharing mate

pettit 07-25-2011 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mpre photos from the weekend.

Too bad that a lot of that G-62 will stick out of that beautiful cowl..

I even got a photo of the Chilton logo that I'll put on my Miles Sparrow Hawk (the name will be changed to protect the innocent)

soarrich 07-25-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: pettit

Too bad that a lot of that G-62 will stick out of that beautiful cowl..

What will stick out? If it's the carb, try this:
http://vogelsang-aeroscale.com/intakebends.html

If it's the goofy ignition try:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=765758

pettit 07-25-2011 05:46 AM

Even with the Vogelsang bend, a lot of the carb will stick out. I cheecked with Goetz. He's a neighbor of mine.

So will the Pitts muffler header.

Too bad the G-62 wasn't rear intake and rear exhaust!

Lifer 07-25-2011 05:47 AM

Is it too late to switch to a DLE 55?

soarrich 07-25-2011 05:50 AM

Did you ask about just making one out of copper plumbing supplies. You can just run the intake way back into the fuse without any loss of power.

Pitts muffler header? Are you using the Slimline pitts muffler?

pettit 07-25-2011 05:56 AM

If I take the carb off the engine and just leave the spacer plate in place, that will still stick out of the cowl.

it's a really narrow cowl and event the mounting arms for the ignition pickup will stick out.

I am using a JTEC Pitts muffler.

Shoults gone with another engine but the plane will need all the nose weight it can get.

Lifer 07-25-2011 06:01 AM

Mr. Pettit,

Opinions on the gear wire? I just completed the smaller version and the wire was so soft I bent a replacement set of gears from music wire.

soarrich 07-25-2011 06:02 AM

Nothing in my opinion ruins a plane's looks as much as carbs sticking out of the cowl. [:o]

I found this the other day while searching for some engine parts:
http://www.sdshobby.net/pitts-muffle...ine-p-608.html

pettit 07-25-2011 06:15 AM

Lifer:  The gear wire on the large Hawk is actually too hard.  I couldn't bent it easily and the spot weld on the diagonal brace broke when trying to bend.

Soarrich:  That muffler arrangement looks OK to me but I already have the JTEC.  maybe I can cut and weld the header to make it narrower. 

You should see how the cowl looks with the stock Zenoah can muffler as seen in  the instruction manual.  HORRIBLE!!!

PeterC 08-05-2011 07:36 AM

Nice thread going here guys. I have the smaller Sparrowhawk powered with a ST 2500 and must report it flys great. Regarding the airframe I think Seagull did a fairly good job of recreating the Sparrowhawk outline but probably thought those mid 30's British color schemes were pretty boring and someone saw a picture of the Chilton which does have a similar shape but a more attractive colorscheme so thats what they did. Can you spell "marketing"? My 2500 pulls the plane along with great authority and it makes a great sport scale flyer. The landing gear appears to be manufactured from recycled coathanger wire and I too had to bend up a new one from piano wire. Once I add a few ounces of nose weight it should be a real smooth flyer.
Cheers,
Peter

pettit 08-05-2011 07:45 AM

I did the "Weight and Balance" routine last night.

Projected weight, give or take a few ounces, 20 pounds. Wing loading will be around 32 oz/sq ft.

They say to balance it 10cm (about 4") from the leading edge of the wing, measured at the wing tip.

I ran a string from tip to tip at that 10mm point and it measured 15cm (about 6") from the LE at the center. Using those dimensions, the wing span and the wing root and tip chord, I calculated the amount of wing area ahead and behind the balance point and calculated that there is 30% of the wing area ahead of the CG. This means that their CG is at the 30% point.

I started locating batteries around inside the fuselage and got the plane to balance at the 27%point with the batteries right over the CG.

So far, so good.

Thanks SOARRICH for straightening me out on the metrics

It's 4" whatever it measures in metric!

Lifer 08-05-2011 12:39 PM

Test flew my smaller version equipped with a DLE20 and new wire gear. Couple of clicks of down and left. Took it up real high and at a fast idle began feeding in up elevator. At full up it mushed along and never dropped a wingtip. That reassured me greatly so I proceeded to wring it out. It seemed to drop the nose a little in pylon-like turns so a little opposite rudder was called for. When it came time to land it descended at a rate dependant upon power and touched down on two wheels. It gave the indication of the tail running a little too high and threatened to nose over so a little elevator leveled it out and it dropped the tail and stopped.

I used a 17x6 APC and have since mounted an APC 16x8. The only damage was the tires were slightly damaged by the wheel skirts....it sliced them up a little! I am looking forward to a faster run on the next outing. Also, in addition to the new wires, I also sealed all of the control surfaces, on both sides, with clear Ultracoat.

All-in-all, a helluva lot of plane for $149! Looks real good on the flybys.....

pettit 09-12-2011 04:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Test flew the Sparrow Hawk yesterday. No problems at all other than losing a screw from the tail wheel bracket.
Plenty of power and the main gear stto up to several less than perfect landings.

Video link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKWN9wgxDfc

soarrich 09-12-2011 05:31 AM

Very nice looking plane.[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]