RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   What do the ARF guys do in winter? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/10719418-what-do-arf-guys-do-winter.html)

MinnFlyer 09-16-2011 07:27 AM

What do the ARF guys do in winter?

I'm sure you guys who live in the south have the luxury of flying all winter, so this question is directed at the guys who live where you can't fly for several months.

Q:
Those of us that build spend the dark, winter hours building a plane for next season but if you're not a builder, how do you fill those long cold months?

jp_boud 09-16-2011 07:38 AM

RE: What do the ARF guys do in winter?

Probably what Idid most of this summer......wish I could go fly. Down here winter flying is better than summer flying, I can stay out most of the day with out being drove off my the heat!

VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS 09-16-2011 08:02 AM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="line-height: 115%; font-size: 9pt">Those that can't fly all winter as we can tend to work on building out planes. Let me give you an example that may surprise you. One of the products we sell is ESM war bird arfs. A number of our customers are hard core scale enthusiasts. They want to do a certain color scheme to match a specific actual warbird.Many of our customers will by for instance the P39 aerocobra and then strip all the paint off the entire plane. Next they will usually cut the cockpit floor away and start building out a scale interior with a full scale pilot. They will also cut open access hatches and hinge then placing the fueler and switches inside the fuselage so they do not show and they spring load the access door. On the P39 the engine was behind the pilot and I have seen one P39 that the builder put the engine behind the pilot just as in the full size craft and then ran a specially constructed drive shaft to the front of the plane. I could go on and on but I think you get the picture. If you would like to see some of what I refer to go to the RCU forum for ESM P39 build outs.
I hope I have not bored any one with my dissertation.
I am always around if you have any questions.</span></div>

cstevenpeterson 09-16-2011 08:09 AM

Well, when I assemble an ARF I rarely build without making changes. Because of this, ARF's take me a long time to assemble. I have a GP fabric covered Cub ARF that has been "almost done" for a few years now so I wouild like to finish that one up and then maybe start a kit. I also have a nice stockpile of kits to keep me busy. Of course, there are other things do do during the winter but I am not going there in this forum:D

opjose 09-16-2011 08:38 AM

I end up repairing existing ARF's, recovering, and constructing my "new" planes for the upcoming season.

I find that I often do not have enough time for all of the ARF's that need attention during the winter, so I typically end up not putting together an ARF or two that I had planned to work on.

Our club also has indoor flying sessions in a large sports facility if the sims are not enough to tide us over.

ameyam 09-16-2011 09:14 AM

In our nick of the woods, it the monsoon that is the offseason. So how to we spend it? Repair ARFs, consider (and if possible build) kits, cycle batteries, practice on the sim; but above all chill out on weekends and sleep longer. I spent most weekends watching cricket or F1 this year

Ameyam

crash1ace 09-16-2011 09:18 AM

I try to do absolutely nothing all winter long! I like being a hermit :-)

Kmot 09-16-2011 09:26 AM

If I lived in snow country I would fly on skis. Look at YT videos of guys in Finland and Sweden, etc. They do not let winter curb their flying.

Here in SoCal, the summer is the off season for me. 100°F+ days suck, and by 9AM gotta pack up and go back indoors. That's when I do my building/modifying/repairing.

JimmyZep 09-16-2011 09:42 AM

BEER!

VIRGINIA MODEL BUILDERS 09-16-2011 09:58 AM

Tequila

guver 09-16-2011 12:53 PM

I do not desire to build , so this question includes me. I'm a beginner though so my plan is to repair my beginning planes that I wore out learning to fly. Even though I desire to not build I will out of necessity have to assemble some planes that I bought that I wanted. They aren't available in assembled versions. The most I wanted to do was install rx in them, but at least I have to put in the servos, some motors, and electronics. I'm also going to perfect my existing ones that I fly now and also try to fly as much as I can too since I have 4-6 new planes to learn about.

My biggest project is just going to be organizing all my planes with my new radios and standardize 2 transmitters.

Oberst 09-16-2011 02:10 PM

Build, and hang out here in RCU.

Pete

maukaonyx 09-16-2011 03:46 PM

Ain't that the truth, I hang out tooooooo much on RCU during the long wet months! But MinnFlyer, I am just a real slowpoke when it comes to assembling ARFs, so I get a few new ones done during the Winter, and also maintain all those that keep flying during our slower Winter season. Seems like wheel pants (I think almost all my planes have them) are always in need of repair no matter how good I land on grass. I can fly year round here in Salem, OR, at most laying off flying two or three consecutive weeks if we get extreme cold, ice, or snow. It's mild here and I am spoiled! Jon

raptureboy 09-16-2011 04:16 PM

Bashing arfs or BARFING:D Add all those details that are missing and keep flying as long as we can,repairs are waiting on several arfs and kits. Unlike you kit guys we arf guys can think of "other things" to do;);)

Mikecam 09-16-2011 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Snowmobile and ice fish. Who has time to build during the winter. :DLOL

r/coldie 09-16-2011 05:18 PM

I bank points with my wife. Without her blessing, none of this would be possible {bearable}. I build and repair when she is not around and then do "honey-dos" when she is. My hobby is an investment for both of us, so keeping her happy is of the utmost importance !!!!

skillet92 09-16-2011 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: r/coldie

I bank points with my wife. Without her blessing, none of this would be possible {bearable}. I build and repair when she is not around and then do ''honey-dos'' when she is. My hobby is an investment for both of us, so keeping her happy is of the utmost importance !!!!
:D:D:D This is so true!!!

And as for the Beer and Tequila well I hate to brag but other than Jan and Feb I can fly the rest of the time. And no no with those! LOL But between a wife and 1 and 3 year old I don't have time for kits right now!

kmeyers 09-16-2011 07:55 PM

I fly all seasons. I have skis and pontoons for the snow. I work third shift so mornings there is plenty of daylight.
Bashing kits or arfs is also a never ending or seasonal task for me.

armyguy466 09-16-2011 08:14 PM

i myself in the winter just build, repair, and maintain my planes engines. plus i use my flight sim and keep in practice and try out new tricks.

ptgarcia 09-16-2011 09:04 PM

Ride my dirt bike. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Stealthjet 09-16-2011 10:39 PM

I spend the time eating Chestnut :)

charlie1960 09-17-2011 04:13 AM

Make changes, improvements.
Rebuild, repair.

and FLY....[>:]

outdoorhunting 09-17-2011 05:40 AM

I just go to Florida for the winters & drink beer & fish 8 days a week !! Sorry, but somebody has to do it !! I do work hard at it though !!! Sometimes it gets (almost) too cold to fish !!! It's a rough life ya know !!

WindGap 09-17-2011 05:52 AM

Flybernation. :)

scale only 4 me 09-17-2011 06:23 AM

Well I Know I know nothing since I've only lived in the Midwest for 6 years, but I intend to buy a beater 4x4 to get out to the field this year, I flew off the snow for the first time last Feb. My gut hurt from laughing so hard.

I know there are colder areas than Ohio, but people act like winter is a continuous 5 month blizzard here, Most years there are plenty of decent days it warms up enough to get outside and have fun. you just need to be prepared,, Shoot the Thunder Storms and Wind knock out just as many Summer days as the snow fall does during the winter.

Had to wear long pants the other day and I wasn't going to Church [:@] Summer's over boys,, bundle up ;)