RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   RcGuys Pitt's (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/11165684-rcguys-pitts.html)

acerc 07-23-2012 07:03 AM

RcGuys Pitt's

I would like to have a Pitt's and have been considering building one of Hostettler Plan's Pitt's. Then I came across these guys and though Hmmmm. So does anyone have one or had one and willing to share an opinion.

BarracudaHockey 07-23-2012 07:48 AM

RE: RcGuys Pitt's

I havent seen the Pitts but I just built their 1/4 scale Piper Cherokee. It was ok. Very nice in some places, some things I'd have done differently if I didnt have to build it per the instructions.
The instructions were mediocre so if the Pitts is along the same vein, you may have to figure out a few things.

Over all a decent value and a very good flying plane.

acerc 07-23-2012 10:33 AM

Thank's Andy. Could you give a little break down on the thing's you'd done differently. I don't mind some work, which mostARF's come with, but for a $500 dollar arf it should not be a lot. If not for building steady for the past two year's, getting kind of tired, this would not be a question.

BarracudaHockey 07-23-2012 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Again, I didn't build the Pitts.

The control surface hook ups were annoying to potentially unsafe. The elevator linkage especially looked like bad news but as I said, I followed the instructions. The result was bad elevator oscilations at anything approaching half throttle during the maiden.

The issue is they use Z bends on a 50cc gasser. The ailerons and flaps worked ok as did the throttle. The nose steering and elevator not so much. The rudder was pull/pull and that was fine.

I replaced the zbend with all thread and a heavy duty ball link - problem solved. The ailerons have been ok but I'm sure they will wallow out the holes in the servo horn and need to be replaced soon enough, same with the flaps.

The other issue, is they pre-drilled and installed blind nuts for the (very nicely machined) nose wheel strut in the firewall. BUT if you use the engine they recommend, you have to relocate the blind nuts or you wont have enough prop clearance. If you realize this after you install the firewall, your screwed.

jbarnes 07-23-2012 12:16 PM

If you want a great Pitts you should look at Aeroworks. I have their Pitts and it flies great. I've had the RCGuys Decathlon which flew great, replaced some of the hardware but otherwise a nice plane. What disappointed me the most about RCGuys is they use ChinaKote. You will find it difficult to repair covering as Monokote and Ultracote do not match the colors. Jerry.

acerc 07-23-2012 12:22 PM

Thank's guy's. Ya'll have given me food for thought. I will be building the Hostetler, I think, maybe. That is a nice looking Cherokee. If the pitt'sspeciallook's that good, Hmmmm.
Andy, Thank's for all the info. One last question, how's the base airframe on your Cherokee.
Thank's.

BarracudaHockey 07-24-2012 04:15 AM

ORIGINAL: acerc

Thank's guy's. Ya'll have given me food for thought. I will be building the Hostetler, I think, maybe. That is a nice looking Cherokee. If the pitt's special look's that good, Hmmmm.
Andy, Thank's for all the info. One last question, how's the base airframe on your Cherokee.
Thank's.
Nicely built, covering needed some work. There's a review in this months Fly RC, same color scheme as mine :)