RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   50CC REVOLVER!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/11231968-50cc-revolver.html)

wjcalhoun 10-10-2012 03:58 AM

RE: 50CC REVOLVER!!

microdon
Mine arrives Friday, according to the shipping notice.

microdon2 10-10-2012 04:32 AM

wjc - good for you! Are you going with the DLE 55RA option? I'm thinking of the DLE 55. With a few planes still NIB waiting to be built (including one Rev 70) I certainly don't NEED another, BUT ... my trigger finger's getting awfully itchy....

wjcalhoun 10-10-2012 07:56 AM

I am going with the RA, simply because it is less money for the configuration i want - engine + pitts muffler.
You need one, Revolver man!

corvettez06 10-10-2012 08:00 AM

Does anyone know if the. 55 RA has the exact same dimensions as the regular 55? Just from looking at it I'm guessing it does but don't know for sure. The dimension I'm most concerned with is the firewall to prop washer.

Slow and Steady 10-10-2012 08:08 AM

When I checked the DLE site, they didn't have a schematic for the 55R. I would also like to know the distance from the shaft center line to the top of the muffler, for engine box clearance.

wjcalhoun 10-10-2012 09:10 AM

S&S
I hear what you are saying; looking at the drawings of the DLE55, I cannot imagine that they would design the muffler on the RA to extend further aft than the engine mount standoffs. It would be nice if DLE or Tower had a DLE55RA manual for download, so that those dimensions could be checked.

For my application, so long as the muffler is not aft of the aft end of the standoffs, I think I will be OK with the RA.

microdon2 10-10-2012 09:20 AM

wjc - I hear what you're saying. I have two gassers where the Pitts-style muffler extends past the engine mounts. A real PITA to retro-fit it in.

Slow and Steady 10-10-2012 07:27 PM

I saw a review and install of the new 35R and the box had to be cut to accomodate the muffler. Nice thing about the rear muffler is not only the savings from not having to buy a pitts muffler, but the 2 pitts inverted wrap around that I have weighed would add 4 to 6 ounces in the nose. Jtec was 8 oz and Brisson was 9 oz. compared to the stock, which is around 4 oz.

wjcalhoun 10-11-2012 03:54 AM

S&S
Cutting the engine box IS a concern. The box is perhaps the most highly stressed part of the airframe, considering vibration, g-force, precession, thrust, engine torque, etc. Anything that compromises the structural integrity of the engine box would be an issue for me.

I hope the 55RA does not share that shortcoming. If it does, i may have to consider an alternate powerplant.

ahicks 10-11-2012 05:34 AM

After shortening or otherwise heavily modding the engine box on every 30cc size plane I've built (5), I wouldn't think twice about modding the 50cc size? Have never had one give me any concern afterward. Yes, they're stressed, but they're also commonly reinforced? I used to build everything I fly, so maybe have a little more confidence doing stuff like this? -Al

Slow and Steady 10-11-2012 04:13 PM

Ahicks, I tend to agree with you, but would rather avoid the issue. However, having the stock muffler (aka rear mounted exhaust) sounds alot better than investing in an after market pitts. Something tells me it won't be an issue.

Lifer 10-12-2012 01:52 AM

Check out YouTube by entering "DLE55RA" in their search engine. There's a GS P-40 with the RA and a stock muffler. Seemed kind of loud but put out good power.

Luchnia 10-12-2012 02:30 AM

ORIGINAL: microdon2

wjc - good for you! Are you going with the DLE 55RA option? I'm thinking of the DLE 55. With a few planes still NIB waiting to be built (including one Rev 70) I certainly don't NEED another, BUT ... my trigger finger's getting awfully itchy....
I can help solve this dilemma. Just send me the Rev 70 that you still have in the box and you will have room for the new 50cc Rev :D See how easy that was!

microdon2 10-12-2012 05:32 AM

Agreed - looks like excellent power on the DLE55RA, though it is pretty loud. From the video he's not using the stock Pitts-style muffler. Maybe he didn't want to change the firewall. I'm hoping the Pitts-style muffler is quieter and has a throatier sound.

Slow and Steady 10-12-2012 03:07 PM

This is a comparison of the 55 and the 55 RA by TBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwcZa...feature=relmfu

kochj 10-12-2012 09:50 PM

I have not bee a fan or revolver planes... but I have to look at this one as a sport plane... but at the same time... it could be a IMAC monster if
done right.... I looks like a pattern plane roots.... I don't think that Great planes would want to make it a 3d bird anyway....
I think that lots of guys are looking at this and thinking the same way I am.... as there isn't a need to have such LARGE control surfaces...
It just gives the addition of more slop and room for builder error....

I would like to see how this turned out.... Personally, I would have gone the gamma and this bird if I was designing it....
CF in the ailerons and elevators ect... to make them stiff and light weight... . I would be out to put potential buyers on there heels ....
combined with HIGH end linkage package, and a tunnel for a pipe....

It is these 3 things that would have made this plane legendary.... But they missed on those 3 points.....

My opinion of coarse...

microdon2 10-12-2012 11:23 PM

... no pun intended ... of course ...

wjcalhoun 10-13-2012 04:27 AM

The brown truck delivered yesterday; will start the build sometime next week.

Luchnia 10-13-2012 04:32 AM

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Fantastic, anticipating the build information :D

JoeMamma 10-14-2012 11:26 AM

Yeah.............always nice to see that brown truck coming up the driveway !:D

Been tossing around getting the big Revolver along with the RA.

You mentioned earlier about using the RA in yours. When you can, please let us all know about any fit issues with the RA.

Joe M.

wjcalhoun 10-14-2012 11:50 AM

Will do
Plan to pull the parts out next week. Having glanced at the RA, the only possible issue might be the bottom lip of the engine box, but i do not think it will be much, if any, of a problem.

JoeMamma 10-14-2012 12:30 PM

Will do
Plan to pull the parts out next week. Having glanced at the RA, the only possible issue might be the bottom lip of the engine box, but i do not think it will be much, if any, of a problem.

After watching that Troy Built video about the RA (go back a few posts), I may need to use the side exhaust DLE55 instead. I didn't realize the RA (rear exhaust) doesn't really use a muffler, just an open-type-can to redirect the exhaust. My reason ? Our club has a 98db noise requirement.

Joe M.

Slow and Steady 10-14-2012 12:33 PM

I wonder if the silencers TBM carries cost much, are effective, or deminish power. May be a cheap and lighter alternative to the pitts which weigh 8 to 9 ounces and run $90.

Sbach342Guy 10-14-2012 12:39 PM

The regular "muffler" on he DLE-55 is really just an exhaust diverter as well. It's really loud. My DLE-30 would be over 100db if I wasn't using a canister muffler.

JoeMamma 10-14-2012 12:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Sbach342Guy

The regular ''muffler'' on he DLE-55 is really just an exhaust diverter as well. It's really loud. My DLE-30 would be over 100db if I wasn't using a canister muffler.
100 db ? [X(] Thanks for the tip.;) Looks like I'll need to investigate aftermarket muffler/canisters for both of the different DLE-55's.

Guess my next question is: What kind of a job will it be to fit them onto this big Revolver ?? Hope it doesn't need to be "butched" up too bad.

Boy, I'm really jealous of you guys that don't have db noise requirements. Just a sign of the times I guess.

Joe M.