RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/11250833-new-hangar-9-1-4-scale-p-18-super-cub.html)

bikerbc 12-12-2012 08:33 AM

RE: New Hangar 9 1/4 Scale P 18 Super Cub

Tethys213 could you use shock cord or O rings on the landing gear instead of elastic bands? what type of elastics do they recomend? # 64 ? That is a common one we often use for wing hold down 's

tethys213 12-13-2012 06:56 AM

I'm sure you could use either as I use O-Rings on my E-Flite Super Cub 25e.

Here's what they supply for the landing gear....just a normal rubber band, four per side. You adjust the tension by the number of wraps around the pegs (screws).

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...213_074219.jpg

bikerbc 12-13-2012 08:05 PM

Thanks Tethys213 I appreciate the answer and the look at the band ...I will replace mine with shock cord probably . I am finding that the O rings I have been using break even when they are not in use although they work well other than that. ...

bladebender 12-16-2012 04:44 AM

somebody should have one done post some pictures

G.P. 12-16-2012 10:16 AM

There seems to be lots of talk on a few different sites about finding something for the gear instead of the rubber bands. Has anybody even tried the rubber bands and had an issue with them? I haven't found any posts suggesting that there is a problem with the stock set up. The real PA-18 uses shock cord which is really just a big rubber band.

abelard 12-17-2012 06:58 PM

The real PA-18 uses shock cord which is really just a big rubber band.
Ummm, not exactly. Shock cord, or bungee cord (same thing) is an example of rubber used the way it works well. Rubber has excellent elastic properties in both tension and compression but it's unreliable in tension, because the manufacturing process has a natural tendency to create bubbles. Those bubbles create localized weak points, and that's why when you delivered papers as a kid you occasionally got bitten by a rubber band that broke as you stretched it.

Bungee cord is a rod of soft rubber surrounded by a helically-braided network of synthetic plastic fiber, which is much more reliable in tension. Stretch it, and the diameter of the braid contracts like a "Chinese handcuff" toy. This squeezes the rubber and loads it in compression, which it handles very reliably. That's why airplane landing gears use bungee and not rubber bands.

Take away the rubber rod and you have what's called "water ski rope", in which you can splice loops with no tools but a simple plastic fid, thanks to the contracting property.

G.P. 12-17-2012 08:41 PM

That's a little more technical than what was required for the point that I was trying to make - rubber bands are a lot more similar to bungees than springs are...which is what I have seen some people switching to.

So I'll try asking again, has anybody tried the stock set up and had problems yet? I assembled mine tonight, and I can see there possibly being problems with the rubber bands slipping off of the screws. I got them wrapped around so they sort of hold themselves on though. We'll see. Just need to get some longer 1/4 axles for my tundra tires and the gear will be completed.

John Redman 12-18-2012 05:29 AM

I don't believe Bill ever changed rubber bands on any of the flight test models during the design phase. Simple system which works.

bbrundle 12-18-2012 06:14 AM

During development of the Super Cub I never replaced any rubber
bands due to any failures, but I certainly removed the fiberglass covers while at the
field to test different rubber band types and combinations.
The process of removal and or adjustment is really quite simple
and I am confident that that you will like the adjustability of
the rubber band system.

I would only comment that you read this section of the manual
where we mention to wrap the end of the rubber band around
both screws to keep everything secure. I will try and take some
close up photos of this for you.

Remember to test the gear on the bench after installing the fiberglass to be sure
the screws do not hit the lip of the exit hole as the gear function.
The screws can be adjusted by just compressing the gear leg
and turning the screw as needed to center in the exit opening.

Look forward to seeing some photos and videos.

Bill

corvettez06 12-18-2012 06:19 AM

Now that we have some horizon guys here, I would like to ask what the smallest saito gasser that could work with this plane is? I know that the 30cc is recommended. Would the 21 work?

bbrundle 12-18-2012 12:36 PM

Depending on the altitude and air density where you live it is possible to fly the Super Cub on the FG-21, but personally I think the this combination will be hard to balance the model and will be marginal on power.

I hope that helps

pldawg 12-19-2012 07:24 AM

Does anyone have a better description of the silicone tubing on the pins for the jury strut or some pictures?

bikerbc 12-20-2012 03:50 AM

I would like some clarification on this too..It is a little vague in the instructions...

John Redman 12-20-2012 06:11 AM

All it does is add some tension to keep them from vibrating around. Was necessary when using 72mhz equipment. Not necessary with 2.4 systems.

bbrundle 12-20-2012 09:30 AM

Guys,
John is correct in his statement about the use of the fuel tuhing pcs.

These pcs are to minimize vibration by adding pressure between the head of the
pin and the keeper

Morris Mini Motors 12-20-2012 12:09 PM

What light setupyou guys r useding?http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...bout_smile.gif

bikerbc 12-20-2012 12:56 PM

Thankyou for the clarification..Now I understand...My wife took pity on my and let me have my Christmas present early so I am poking around in the box..Boy what a nice looking ARF...Mine is in really nice shape..Covering is tite , glue joints look good , nothing warped that I can see..the overlap on the covering looks to be reasonable...If it would just quit snowing so I could spend some time working on it..I want to get going on the hingeing....Way to go Hanger 9 Thanks for a great looking Cub....I think I am going to be Happy with it..By the way our club hosts westren Canada's biggest anual float fly every fall..Its called the Shuswap Fall Classic .. This Cub will be there on floats and it will attract some attention...I betcha it will sell a few more Cubs

bladebender 12-20-2012 03:38 PM

bikerbc need to see pictures on floats . or how far do I have to drive

G.P. 12-20-2012 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

By the way our club hosts westren Canada's biggest anual float fly every fall..Its called the Shuswap Fall Classic ..
Mmmmm, Sandy Point. I have never been able to hit the fun fly, but I've spent a few summer vacations there!

[8D]

My little World Models 48" Cub. I think the 106" H9 Cub will be a bit of an upgrade. :D

bikerbc 12-20-2012 11:37 PM

Nice pics..I miss summer already...

bikerbc 12-21-2012 03:14 AM

Has any body found any damage to there Cubs yet? I have found some damage on one wing tip..the last rib has been crushed and the covering has a small tear in it..It appears to have been squashed...The box has a little damage but nothing real bad..It was not double boxed when I got it but I dont know about when the hobby shop got it..Apparently they asked if they could put it on display . That was how it was hidden till Christmas... The contents had not been removed ..The tape was still in place...It almost seems like the damage could have been done before it went into the box because it was between the wings wear you could not easily see the damage till you actually took the panels out of the box...The other panel looks fine...What a beautiful ARF

sj3cub 12-21-2012 04:34 AM

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

Has any body found any damage to there Cubs yet? I have found some damage on one wing tip..the last rib has been crushed and the covering has a small tear in it..It appears to have been squashed...The box has a little damage but nothing real bad..It was not double boxed when I got it but I dont know about when the hobby shop got it..Apparently they asked if they could put it on display . That was how it was hidden till Christmas... The contents had not been removed ..The tape was still in place...It almost seems like the damage could have been done before it went into the box because it was between the wings wear you could not easily see the damage till you actually took the panels out of the box...The other panel looks fine...What a beautiful ARF
No damage anywhere on mine, but contact Horizon about it and they will take care of you. No worries.

tethys213 12-21-2012 08:52 AM

The only thing I had was a broken wing strut (the threaded end was broken off). A quick call to HH and they hooked me up with new parts. HH continues to impress with their customer service.

pldawg 12-21-2012 11:36 AM

So I love this plane and I am enjoying putting it together but it would be awesome if horizon would make an optional accessory for some scale bush wheels.
<div>
http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.poster...NRo%2FdP1Lw%3D

http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.poster...Hfko6R5zrZo%3D
</div>

bikerbc 12-21-2012 01:37 PM

Darn now I found my windshield is broken too..It is rite beside the crushed wingtip...I called Horizion and they have requested pictures and I am to fill out some form ...I have had a stroke and I get confused so easy..I think I am in trouble..