RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   30 cc Edge 540 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/11426872-30-cc-edge-540-a.html)

stevo41300 02-28-2013 08:08 AM

30 cc Edge 540

Aeroworks, Pilot or 3DHS? Can't decide, any opinions?</p>

allans 02-28-2013 12:10 PM

RE: 30 cc Edge 540

I have the AW with a DLE 30. It is a Dream to put together and FLY.
Don't know the others.
Ask me specific questions about the AW ( this my third AW model) and I will try to answer then.

Excellent airplane and support from AW.

stevo41300 02-28-2013 02:55 PM

Have never flown any of them, so would like any opinions. Customer Support is important. What was your final weight? LG, tubes, tail all CF? Did it balance out well? Any issues? Thanks for the input!

allans 02-28-2013 03:21 PM

Don't know the weight . But the DLE 30 has power enough ti handle anything . Even accurate up out of a hover. The landing gear is strong enough , but I have huge wheels. I fly off a grass field and the small included wheels can hang up and strain the gear. Big loosely fitting wheel help with that issue.

I do not know what you mean by tubes or Tail all cf.

It balanced perfectly , with a bit of weight in the tail , about an ounce. The device included to balance the plane is a joy and works perfectly . Balancing without it would not be this easy . This device should be standard on every plane .

They were never any issues at all. I have 65 flights on it . No crashes . The DLE starts every time and broke in with no fuss. I use 144 oz digital Hitec servos and a six volt battery with a IBEC. Ss I do a lot of check of the status of the battery once I get past 5 flights or 50 minutes minutes of running time . My Tx keeps track of the total elapsed the plane is turned on each flying session. But I have never had a problem with the battery . If I ever did I would go to a two battery setup. I have a channel for very servo and fly JR .

I love flying the plane , it has no bad habits or surprises . Nothing has very broke of even bent on it . So I have never had to fox anything.

It is not a floater . And takes a bit practice to land. You cannot just chop the throttle and glide it in . You must keep the speed up as well as the nose. A few well timed throttle blips is all it really takes.

The plane taxi's well , but I do not like taxing any plane as it puts a lot of unnecessary strain on the gear . So I usually walk out an dget it unless there are people waiting to fly and then I will taxi it in.

I love the plane , it flies beautiful , never had any kind of problem and one more thing . The is very skilled pilots at my field can do more with it than I can and are always asking to fly it. One of them wanted it as a back up for his plane at an IMAC meet.

stevo41300 02-28-2013 06:55 PM

Thanks for the info! My first gasser and plane this size. Have heard good things about AW.

ameyam 03-01-2013 12:06 AM

stevo41300

AW makes great airplanes, albeit a bit on the heavy side for all out 3D. That being said, the newer QB models are much lighter. I guess they are about as expensive as the PilotRC. But their quality is second to none

PilotRC is much lighter, you may need to reinforce a couple of points. They make great flying airplanes though. Pilot uses Oracover covering as against Ultracote on AW. There are pros and cons of each but there is no real differentiating factor

If you want to save some money, you can look at Goldwing / Redwing. Customes support on Redwing is better. They came from the same factory. Like PilotRC, you may need to reinforce a couple of places but they are much lighter and therefore better flying

Regardless of what airplane you take, you should go over all the joints with thin CA followed by thick CA in case of any visible gaps

Ameyam

stevo41300 03-01-2013 06:51 AM

Quality is what I'm looking for. Thanks for the info and tips guys!</p>

kerwin50 03-01-2013 07:59 AM

The 3DHS Edge is a better 3D machine and easier to land