RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   ThunderTiger Rare Bear (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/1665626-thundertiger-rare-bear.html)

kochj 04-28-2007 01:54 AM

RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

[quote]ORIGINAL: jjeaster222000

yeah he is a heck of a builder so im not worried to much about it.

You know what is said about when you assume!;)

Todd Jackson 05-02-2007 11:14 AM

Has been a wile sense reading on this thread but mine is ready and I wanted to know the weight that they are coming in at and how much nose weight that everyone is adding? Mine is 11# with a tower 75 but it looks like I will have to add 1.25# of weight.

Thanks Todd

lil-redrex 06-21-2007 02:28 AM

Just for general info if you are located in Australia, I have one of these Rare Bears that I have bought unbuilt still in box from a friend.

I read about the probs with the Stab etc in this forum, checked out mine and it is the original version.

So I sent and email to ACEHOBBY Distributors (Australia) asking if I could get hold of a the updated tail part, and they posted me out the replacement stab kit, same day. No questions asked, for no charge!

Didnt even ask for a reciept, or the old ones back.

So will take note of the rest of the mod's that need doing, and get stuck into it!

One other member of our club has one, and hasnt had stab probs yet, prob had about 50 or 60 flights on it. Though he had to beef up the landing gear mounts after the first couple of landings, because they folded out pretty quick with the stock mounts. Has a G23 in his, and looks and flys (and sounds) fantastic.

Im just glad I came across this forum and all the great info!

Cheers

Ours club Website is www.swarms.org.au and you will find pictures of his Rare Bear in photo gallery for one of the scale days.

Dave G 06-26-2007 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got started on mine about a month ago and thought I'd share some info and ask a couple of questions. I'm about ready to start applying the decals and see where there's some striping for the left wing around the gold area, but what's all the extra for?

I noticed that in the photo, mentioned in the above reply, the guy has the wing number on upside down. I know, it shouldn't get noticed but come on.

I give a lot of credit to anyone that can successfully put this thing together and have a have a good time with it. This is a challenging ARF and would not be a piece of cake for the novice. I guess I'm more comfortable with plans or a kit. It would be an award winning Bearcat that came from a kit and looked as good as this does when done.

When I started mine, I was hoping to use an OS 120 Surpass pumper but used a Saito 150 instead. The deal was to keep the exhaust inside and have it exit in the scale location. The rocker covers just come out the bottom of the cowl and really may help cool more than detract from having a pair of holes in the bottom of the cowling. A short flexible exhaust and a Dubro exhaust deflector fit inside with room to spare. I made a pressure fitting for a line back to the tank. To make the bend upward, a small area was ground away.

I put my tank up front. Is anyone using the aft location?

Also, I've done all the mods for the tail, gear and glassed both sides of the firewall. Is there any final word on the CG location or is the panel line still good? I've read this thread since the beginning, and can't stand the thought of having to go though it again to look for this info.

Happy Landings

Sessholvlaru 07-02-2007 10:28 PM

I too finally flew mine two days ago after having it stare at me from my bench for a few months. I am running an OS 160FX. It balaced perfectly (at the panel line) with no weight until I fixed the tail. I cut out small squares on the underside of the stabs and poured in some 30 minute epoxy to adhere everything together. I also moved the elevator servo to the tail and sealed the elevator joints. Therefore, I needed to add 4 ounces of lead to the nose to balance. It flew great at the recommended CG (panel line). Great presence in the sky and a smooth flyer. No signs of flutter. Mechanical gear worked fine on the ground, but would not retract in the air...maybe because of the wind. I put lighter foam wheels to give that solitary servo a better chance of bringing the gear up. Unfortunatly the crappy tank position (all the way at the bottom of the fuse) caused her to dead stick on me after 5 minutes up during a tight turn. She definetly is not going to win any awards for glide slope, and I put her in the weeds. No damage, but motivation to get nice air retracts (could only afford crappy mechanicals for now) so I can get rid of the retract servo and move the tank up. I am running a 16x10 APC and I realize she really needs a 16X8 for some more speed, like someone else here who also flies the 160FX. Overall, even though it is a time consuming arf (relatively speaking, I love to build kits) everyone always gathers around it when it is at the field. Great smooth flyer, and low and high speed low passes leave me with a smile. For all of its manufacturing headaches, it is a superb plane when these are overcome. No video though...the second flight will have video. Will post video and pics tomorrow. Good luck all!

Dave: I also put the 77 on the wrong way....couldn't deal with it so I peeled it off and replaced it very carefully. As far as I can remember, the red striping is for both sides of the gold, top and bottom. I did not have much extra (an inch or two). I painted my spinner white....looks much better IMHO.

Sessholvlaru 07-02-2007 11:15 PM

Well, I decided to look at the exact prop I have on it....is it a 15.75 x 13! No wonder why it was not running anywhere near full rpm. I remembered that this prop was the only 3 blader my lhs had in stock. Shame...the APC is prettier than the MA and it looks as if the spinner was cut for this very prop.

Dave G 07-03-2007 09:38 PM

Sessholvlaru, that's a shame about the dead-stick and a real pisser about the mechanical retract servo not having enough umph. Wonder if that servo would work on 6 volts? I have some 3-1/4" thin foam wheels that I intended to use, but if the purpose built servo can't handle your's I'm not sure what's up. I am using the Futaba 180 degree retract servo and the gear seam to cycle on the bench fine. I may throw a 6 volt battery in the system just to see if the servo operates.

For this model, I'm staying away from air retracts. Too much extra weight.

Sessholvlaru 07-03-2007 09:42 PM

Well worse news today. Both elevator halves left the stab after a dive. Plane went into the weeds hard, but is not too badly damaged. I think I might just save up for another and use this one as a spare. I beefed up the stabs, moved the servo to the rear and sealed the gaps. Most of the CA hinges broke in half while two pulled out. I am guessing that Ace cannot help me with this issue, but I guess it can't hurt to inquire. Now I know to use Robarts instead. A real shame...second flight and I was really starting to love the plane. Oh well. I am uploading some pics and video of it in the crash forum.

Dave G 07-03-2007 09:59 PM

Man, that's too bad. Sorry. Hopefully, you'll have another in the air soon.

reincarnate 07-03-2007 10:40 PM

Now I know to use Robarts instead.
Is there sufficient hardwood to accept the Robart hinges? I've been eyeballing this plane for a while, and now that you guys seem to have most of the kink's worked out...

jfetter 07-04-2007 01:24 AM

ORIGINAL: reincarnate

Now I know to use Robarts instead.
Is there sufficient hardwood to accept the Robart hinges? I've been eyeballing this plane for a while, and now that you guys seem to have most of the kink's worked out...

reincarnate,

Run, don't walk away from this plane! I say that half-jokingly but I have one sitting upstairs, perhaps someday I'll take another whack at it but considering the mods required and the time you'll need to put into it, I'd have to say if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't...

Jack

Rbeav533 07-05-2007 04:18 PM

Is there sufficient hardwood to accept the Robart hinges?
No there isn't, the trailing / leading edges of the horiz stab / elevators is ~ 4mm thick. Same issues with the wings / ailerons, but maybe 5mm thick. When I assembled my Rare Bear, I opened up the various control surfaces and added hard balsa blocks for the Robart hinges.

Rich

kochj 08-19-2007 10:40 PM

The seafury the TT is getting out now, looks great...
The wings look quite nice and the fuse fiberglass looks well done...

a YS 110 should pull it around well...

Justin

Asif 09-13-2007 01:55 AM

Hi Guys,
I am building Thunder tiger Rare Bear, and would like to know what size 3 blade prop should I use. I am not sure about the engine but I might opt for OS 91 or OS 120 AX in Rare Bear. Please suggest appropriate prop size for both the engines.
Thanks
Asif

lil-redrex 09-13-2007 03:00 AM

Hi

I have a 91 and are running a 12x8 (3-blade) and seems a good combo for the motor. Doesnt quite look scale, but if you want a bigger prop your going to need to go a bigger motor or 4 stroke. The 91 has plenty of go for the plane, though I had to add about 450grams of lead to get it to balance.

Cheers.

Asif 09-13-2007 03:23 AM

Hi lil-redrex,
Thanks for your reply. Do you think 13x8 would be overload for OS 91?
How is the speed of your aircraft with 12x8?
Thanks
Asif

lil-redrex 09-13-2007 03:33 AM

Hi

Not sure, I bought one to try, but havent put it on to compare.

Someone else in this thread was running a 14x7 on a Super Tiger 91.

Mine runs at about 10,000 rpm with the 12x8 (master airscrew) on the packet for the props it says the 13x8 is for 1.08 and up size engines.

I have only had a couple of flights, but the speed with the 12x8 seems pretty good, has plenty of pull and lifts off the runway quite easily on takeoff.

bignasdy 09-13-2007 08:06 PM

i was usin a 13 8 , three blade ,master airscrew, on st 90, with good results...........good power, good speed, good vertical.................good luck.
d

Asif 09-14-2007 11:58 PM

Thanks guys,
I will try 12x8 and 13x8, let see which one performas better!!
Regards
Asif

lil-redrex 09-15-2007 02:10 AM

Just checked my tacho reading again today with both props (both Master Airscrew)

Im getting 11500 with the 12x8 and about 10500 with the 13x8, both static on the ground. The 13x8 seemed to give a lot more pull on the ground, am going to give it a fly with the 13x8 tommorrow if the weather is good.

Im using the TT Rear Bear custom muffler too, this has given me about 500-800 more rpm over the stock muffler on the test stand anyway. Is louder though, but I think it sounds good.

10% Nitro / 20% Coolpower home brew, and only about 16 deg cel today.

Cheers

Asif 09-15-2007 02:43 AM

lil-redrex,
Thanks for your tach info. Let me know how it flies with 13x8. I myself will be using TT custom muffler for rare bear with OS 91. I believe you will get more speed with 12x8 than 13x8

Asif

Asif 09-19-2007 03:39 AM

Hello Guys,
I have few concerns; firstly I'd like to know if there is any cooling issue or engine getting too hot? Like I have said before I will be using OS FX and Thunder Tiger custom muffler. Do you need to open vent for cooling? I think the there is not enough gap between spinner and cowl for air flow....so please let me know if somebody having cooling issues or not.
My second concern is about the servos. I am using Hitec 635 HB servos on elevator and rudder (69 oz-in (5.5 kg-cm at 4.8 volt.) Is this torque enough or should I use high torque servos? Please advise...
Thanks
Asif

Asif 09-19-2007 03:41 AM

OS 91 FX

Asif 09-20-2007 04:09 AM

has any one had any problems with the fuel tank sitting low in fuselage? I am installing fuel tank and was wondering that fuel tank is low. Do I need to raise the fuel tank?

Asif

bignasdy 09-20-2007 04:56 PM

listen man, just fly the damn thing.........
d