RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   "New" Lil Toni by Great Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/1693340-%22new%22-lil-toni-great-planes.html)

myersflyers 05-29-2004 07:58 AM

RE: "New" Lil Toni by Great Planes

I received mine last Thursday. I'm trying to finish my gas Bearcat now, but this kit could probably
be built in two days easily. I'm planning on using my old YS .61 AR pattern engine on the pipe.
It should pull it nicely and be extremely quite. I have sometimes had problems in the past with
CA hinges not grabbing enough wood with glue and eventually, with time and vibration, one or more
hinges loosen up. And don't let any fuel seep in the hinge line. I found that the pre-cut CA hinges
are efficient, but now that I use Pacer Hinge glue on all my CA hinges I like the hinges you can cut
to the size you need. If you wick the Pacer hinge glue in the slot and a little on the hinge itself and ensure the hinge is long enough to go just pass the trailing edge interior side, those hinges ain't ever coming out. I tested this with vise grips. It tore all the surrounding wood and the hinge and wood were still intact. A little more work, yeah, but worth the effort. Plus you can take your time and position the wing and control surfaces for a real tight fitting hinge line (use tape to hold the control surface until the glue is dry [20 minutes tops]). Try it once, I'm positive you'll like it.
I'll post some pics when I get started. Still thinking of a way to mount the TP and Engine without
chopping up the cowl and blocking out the white fuse stripping.
Adrian
Adrian

red_z06 05-31-2004 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics:

red_z06 05-31-2004 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I maidened without the cowl as I do not know which muffler or tuned pipe to put on.
The spinner that came with the plane is wildly out of balance and could not be flown with it. It will be either balanced or discarded.

The engine used is OS91FX.
Initial prop was APC 12x10 prop at 10,500rpm. This prop was overloading the engine too much. I had a 11x9 prop on hand and this brought the rpm to 12,500 and the plane really liked it. I might do jett stream muffler to gain another 1000-1500rpm.

It seems that this plane would like 11x11 or 11x12 at 12k-14k rpm but too much for this engine.

Has anyone tried OS 1.40 pattern engine?

Windwalker 05-31-2004 11:23 AM

A Jett-stream muff would be great if it fits in the cowl. If it doesn't, you might look at the TopFlite in-cowl muff that mounts on the fire wall

WW:D

Tailspin 05-31-2004 12:37 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: red_z06
My only complain is that they should supply precut CA hinges. Why can't they include a pack they sell for retail? What is this measure and cut bull**** for CA hinges.

Waa! Waa! Want somebody to fly it for you too?:D

red_z06 06-02-2004 01:30 AM

The spinner that comes with the plane should be thrown out!
It is static balanced ( back plate only first then with back plate and cone ) but still produces considerable vibration. Without an access to a dynamic balancer for this long spinner, it would be near impossible to balance it correctly.

I imagine that I might have to go for a tru-turn ultimate 3" spinner.

You might get lucky and get a perfectly balanced spinner but I doubt it.

flyinlow-RCU 06-02-2004 03:45 PM

Hi Guys,
Just picked mine up today looks very nice. I have a st. 75 I will use should be a fast one.:)
A little trick for you guys with any of the A-frame GP. spinners, grind off the rivets holding the A-frame on and get a spinner nut works great did it on my patty and my pitts, much easier to tighten up the prop nut and balance.[8D] Hope that helps
I will post with any problems on my Toni.

Flyinlow

AdrianM 06-02-2004 04:40 PM

I have contacted Bisson about making a custom muffler for this plane. I get my plane and and a Magnum .91 XLS-A (2 stroke) next week. I know the head will fit in the cowl...but how much room is there around the exaust port and between the lower engine mount beam and the cowl?

MormonMike 06-03-2004 07:40 AM

There "aint" none. A Bisson Pitts muffler will pretty well hogg out the bottom of the cowl. I know. MM

red_z06 06-03-2004 07:47 AM

I just ordered tru-turn ultimate spinner to replace the stock junk and ordered bisson ultimate muffler. It is set back 1/4-3/8 back so I might be able to save front part of the scoop and the angle should help on drag compared to pitts muffler.

MormonMike 06-03-2004 07:56 AM

You can try to save the scoop but it looks kinda dumb sitting out front with half of it chopped away from a Dremel. It was difficult balancing that spinner but, I found that you can do it with a little bit of J B Weld and a Dremel. It irritates me to pay money for this stuff and its junk to begin with [ spinner]. I'll bet Tru-Turn would like to make a better spinner for this kit if it was worth their time. Where are you guys mounting the remote fueler on the cowl? Ho-Hum:eek: MM.

red_z06 06-03-2004 08:08 AM

Mormon:

Did you run your engine with the spinner? You will be surprised when you do. Then again you might be lucky that the spinner is dynamically balanced ( what chance ).

With magnetic type suspended balancer, you get get the spinner to balance statically with patience but as the spinner length grows, so does the dynamic imbalance. For example, when you grind off inside of the spinner to balance, you do not know exatly which spot on heavy side is causing the heaviness ( near tip or near back plate side )

MormonMike 06-04-2004 07:08 AM

You are correct. I will try it to see what happens. Im hoping for the best. I hope you share the same frustration i do about this stuff leaving the factory without the manufactuer resolving the "problems" and tossing them into the customers lap. That spinner appears to be what was installed on the Shoestring [ looking at old photos ] If the spinner fails, looks like I will just have to spend more on an Ultimate Tru-Turn. Other than that, not a bad ARF. Thanks for your advice, MormonMike.

red_z06 06-04-2004 07:22 AM

I flew it on Sunday without the spinner. (first with the spinner but I brought it down quickly thinking this is no way to fly).

first flight with 12x10 apc @ 10,500rpm. The prop is way overloaded and shows in meager speed performance.
second flight with 11x9 apc @12,500rpm. Now! This is what I'm talkin' about. People were guessing 120mph+
It ran fine this way the whole sunday. I wish I had a radar speed gun.....

I am now experiencing loss of power ( perhaps due to leaning ). Adjusted the needle few times but same problem. I'm going to try the setup I had before ( larger inlet fuel tube ) which ran my OS91FX fine with no sign of trouble.

AdrianM 06-04-2004 08:24 AM

I have never seen a 2 stroke (other than an OS 1.40 Webra 1.60) fly well with a 10+ pitch prop. Most 2S engines need to rev to make power. They just wont unload in the air with a prop bigger than 8 or 9 pitch.

Try a 11x8 or a 12x8 I bet it will be even faster!

By the way...what muffler are you using...how is it cowled? Do you have pics?

red_z06 06-04-2004 09:13 AM

Adrian:

Initial trial of 12x10 suggestion came from APC. They have mentioned Japanese racing using this prop on 91FX. I'll bet they are using much higher nitro content than I'm using (15%).

The pic of uncowled using slimline pitts is on page 1 somewhere. It will take out too much cowl with this and the exhause stack angle is not to favorable for speed. Bisson ultimate muffler is on order. It should work much better than pitts.

autoguns 06-04-2004 12:12 PM

Red ...So did the bisson look like it will work better for the Tony?...and did the tower # I gave you have all the info you were looking for?......JW

red_z06 06-04-2004 12:22 PM

autoguns:

tower did not have all the info ( can thick + flange ) however, I do like to slant angle of the ultimate muffler ( 20deg from horizontal ) which has smaller frontal area for less drag.

I will post a pic after I butcher the cowl.

pit_basher 06-05-2004 02:10 AM

Can I get the part number for this spinner[8D]

jetdryvr 06-06-2004 08:01 PM

I just got the kit and it looks great. A lot of little time consuming things are already done for you. I'm putting a YS 110 on there. Then I'll just hit the gas and hang on.

red_z06 06-07-2004 10:04 AM

Damn!

My LHS called me and told me that there is no Ultimate 3" spinner.
Now, I need to decide 2 7/8" ultimate or 3" regular.

BTW, I'm still waiting for the ultimate muffler so no work has been done on the cowl.

Jetdryvr: sounds good with YS110. Be carefull not to over rev it. I imagine you can run bigger pitch prop like 12x12.
What is the max rpm on that motor?
Whoooooosh!!

AdrianM 06-07-2004 03:18 PM

There is a special 3" spinner that is more scale than the ultimate spinner. Here it the link to it on Tur-Turn's website. Note this is the 120 cut version.

http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store...exact_match=on

MormonMike 06-08-2004 07:51 AM

Guys, How about those wheel pants. Has anybody raised them up 'bout half an inch for better clearence? Yup, toss the spinner that comes with the ARF into the trash, tried everything in the book to balance it, you'll waste your time. Mine "scoots' about 110 mph with a ST .91 w/ 12-8 APC, Bisson "Pitts" muffler at 4500 feet altitude. Tru-Turn spinner balanced out great. About as fast as my Shoestring. Now I'll try that TT "Rare Bear" MM

red_z06 06-14-2004 10:29 AM

Still waiting for the BCM ultimate muffler for OS 91FX and 2 7/8 Tru-Turn ultimate spinner

AdrianM 06-14-2004 06:48 PM

Guys....I was going through my Toni and I saw the spinner has been changed. The spinner in current kits is a Tru Turn style with a threaded nut for the crankshaft and a long fixing screw....no more A-Frame spinner.

red_z06 - I'm waiting to see how your Bisson Ultimate muffler works out before getting started on mine. I have a Magnum .91 2c and a Saito 1.00 that can go in it. The 91 would certianly be faster but the 100 sure is an easier install. If you can get the 91 in it without destroying the cowl I'll do the same.