RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   "New" Lil Toni by Great Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/1693340-%22new%22-lil-toni-great-planes.html)

mike boxtall 12-27-2007 04:33 PM

RE: "New" Lil Toni by Great Planes

It was the spinner that came in the box.

fredmcl2 12-27-2007 08:54 PM

Hi, I bought a used Little Toni and had my maiden flight today. It stalled after 4 minutes and I had to dead stick land. Investigation showed a deteriorated rubber stopper in the fuel tank, and a disconnected fuel line inside the tank, which must have happened from vibration, or deterioration of the line itself, leading it to come off the fitting. I want to replace the tank and all of its parts. It is an odd shape, rounded top and bottom, and flat on the sides. It is marked 240cc (or 8 oz). I have yet to find one in my internet searches. Tower says that the Great Planes 8 oz tank can be made to fit, but it looks entirely wrong.

Does anyone know where to get another tank like the one that came with the plane?

Much thanks. I could tell from my 4-minute flight that this plane is going to be everything I hoped.

Fred

lill will 12-27-2007 10:50 PM

hay fred what engine you have in the plane i see that you are down the street from me and yes it was anice day to day 60deg aint bad for post christmas

ggroyal1 12-28-2007 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The replacement fuel tank that is shown in the Tower website is not even close to the original. Great Planes should be ashamed for the replacement tank that is shown. A 2 year old could do better. The tank in the middle is the recommended one and the tank on the left looks more like the original (Hobbico Nexstar), the one on the right is a Sullivan 12 oz round. There is also a photo from the manual. I hope my Little Toni tank lasts a long time
George G. Royal

fredmcl2 12-28-2007 06:40 AM

Lill Will: It came with an OS 61, which seems like it is going to be plenty, judging just from the 4 minutes or so I had it in the air. I "discovered" the L.T. on Real Flight 3.5, and the simulator version has this engine, and it has plenty of power for my skill level. More to follow when I get it back up. I fly at Free State Aeromodelers, near the junction of 95 and 198. I drive over there, since that's where my son flies, and that is an activity we can do together. You are right, it was a great day yesterday, but it got windy toward noon, which brings up that skill level thing again.
George: you are correct, Sir. Great Planes and Tower should be ashamed. I e-mailed Great Planes, but no response yet. The recommended replacement tank cannot possibly go in there without some sawing. Your pictures are perfect, and I actually have a Nexstar, so will check that out, as well as see if I can find Sullivan tanks. It was spooky losing the engine on the maiden flight, but luckily, I was close to the runway, and high enough to dead stick it in, just like I knew what I was doing!

Thanks for the replies.

Fred

fredmcl2 12-28-2007 07:35 PM

Here is the reply I received from Great Planes. Very unsatisfactory, but here it is. I finally decided to just buy a new stopper and refit all the tubing with the original tank, which appears to be OK. Fred

"The fuel tank that comes in the Little Tony is not available as a replacement part. You will have to find a tank that is close to the same shape and size. It is a 14oz tank. Dubro
and Sullivan has one. Dubro is the same shape as the Great Planes tank. Sullivan has different ones. One is a slant tank and the other is a slant flextank. The stock numbers of all three are below along with there specs.

SULQ1742
SULQ1442
DUBQ0214

The one from Great Planes is temporarily unavailable at this time."[/center]

lill will 12-28-2007 07:42 PM

great i have real flight will look for it on there still waitng on servos thinking about a couple of engine I have a 180 saito want to get a os.91 or a super tiger g90 or jett 90

mike boxtall 12-29-2007 02:15 AM

Lill Will,

The Saito 180 won't fit, not without extensive mods. I have a Saito 125 and it just barely fit. If you want to go fast and have deep pockets the Jett is the way to go. But I am planning on putting in an O.S.120ax. Still cheaper than the Jett but probably just as fast when you take into account prop size and rpm. Best bang for your buck though would be the Super Tiger GS-90, you can always upgrade when you get more comfortable with the plane.

Iflyglow 12-29-2007 08:15 AM

There is no way that your 1.20AX will be as fast as a Jett .90. Speed is all about RPM and prop pitch. You would have to be running 13 or more inches of pitch to get any real speed out of it.[X(]

ggroyal1 12-29-2007 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Motorman37 is correct, you do not want to put the OS120 in the Little Toni. The Little Toni Jett package would be number one choice, second would be the OS91 with a Cline regulator and Ultra thrust muffler.

UkerDuker 12-29-2007 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a Little Toni under my Christmas tree. Over a 2 day period I got everything assembled. The hardest part was getting my cowling cut (to my liking).

I installed a Saito 125 with only one cosmetic flaw. My spinner backplate is roughly 1/8" from the cowl. I can live with that. Total weigh came in at 8.5lbs. It balanced great with no lead. It's slightly nose heavy. I'm swinging a 15x7 APC prop.

Tomorrows the maiden flight. The weather should be ideal.

Mike

mike boxtall 12-31-2007 02:46 PM

What speeds can sombody expect with the Jett LX Toni set up. It has been a while since I looked at JETT'S site And I forgot how much rpm those things are getting so I stand corrected. My reason for not wanting the Jett is that I can't afford it. And the O.S. 120 would be faster than my Saito. As far as the O.S. 91... I think for only a few bucks more I would go for a Rossi of the same displacement. The Jett's are so nice but everytime I look at one my wallet says "OUCH!"

mike boxtall 12-31-2007 02:50 PM

Uker..,

What rpm are you getting with the 15X7. I had a 14X10 on mine and I was seeing 8930rpm turned back two clicks from 9200rpm with mine after breakin using powercool 15% four stroke fuel.

ggroyal1 12-31-2007 03:02 PM

I am getting 120 to 125 mph with the OS91, Macs tuned pipe and Cline regulator and a 14x7 APC prop, I will have to recheck the rpms.
The Little Toni is a very fast plane, my son and I really like it.
George G. Royal

UkerDuker 12-31-2007 06:13 PM

boxtall,
Swinging my 15x7 APC, running 15% Omega, I get a solid 9200 RPMs. This is with my needle valve open 2 full turns. I could probably get more RPM if I lean it out alittle, but I'm very happy with the speed. I did have to reduce the elevator throw. I had way too much. It would climb or dive significantly when I made an input. With a nice long approach, this plane slows down great and lands like a trainer.

I will be trying some Powermaster Saito/YS 20/20 fuel. I ran out so I went to using 15%. I can probably get a few more RPMs with the fuel change and another needle valve adjustment.

Mike

lill will 01-01-2008 11:08 AM

hay thanks boss will go ahead and get the motor of choice by any chance a video

lill will 01-01-2008 11:19 AM

are u using flaparon

Captain DeadStick 01-09-2008 12:49 AM

I'm just starting mine now and have noticed the ill fitting horizontal as well. Anyone have problems with the incidence and what did you guys use for filler?

UkerDuker 01-09-2008 08:22 AM

Capt Deadstick,
I got the horizontal stab where I wanted it and initially used CA to secure it. Later I taped off the joint and filled the remaining gap between the fuselage and the stab with 45min epoxy. When the epoxy was partially cured, I removed the tape. The tape was easy to remove at this point. If you wait until the epoxy is fully cured, it will be very challenging.

In the end, you have a nice clean & strong stab install. Hope this helps.
Mike

lill will 01-09-2008 08:58 AM

i dont understand the a+a and b+b = the correct placment for the horizontal stab it has to be a easiar way to find this proper placement

Captain DeadStick 01-09-2008 01:10 PM

Thanks Mike, thats along the lines of what I was thinking. I was also thinking about some resin with microballoons and a little touch up paint to the fill?

masonman 01-12-2008 12:09 AM

Your going to love this model deadstick. Have you ever flown anything like it in the past?(shoestring,Minnow)

UkerDuker 01-12-2008 12:13 AM

Masonman,
THis is a great plane (no pun intended). I have not had a deadstick (yet), but it will happen and I will land it successfully. I am not worried. At the speeds I fly, I will have plenty of time to climb and begin a nice approach for landing. My field is large with plenty of areas to land other than the runway.

If you have a small flying area, I would be worried if you do not have a good running engine.

Mike

gunfighter 01-27-2008 09:56 PM

Hey Guys,

How long an extension did you need to mount the muffler on the OS 91?

Just got mine and it looks GREAT!

kochj 02-15-2008 12:32 AM

This is a really fun video....

Shoestring VS... a couple of toni's....
Perhaps this has already been seen?

It surprised me to see the 4-stroke walk over the 2-stroke!....

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this comparison?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2gf6...eature=related