RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   jerrys big boy by morris hobbies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/2557012-jerrys-big-boy-morris-hobbies.html)

waynem 01-09-2008 11:43 AM

RE: jerrys big boy by morris hobbies

Happy New Year to everyone on this forum. I got to fly my big boy last weekend, our weather has been like spring for about a week. The B.B. flew great as always, but my G23 gas engine is acting up in the mid-range. Like it is surging, the top end is fine and so is idle. I guess it is time to rebuild the carb. also the fuel is left from this past summer. I had a short stay in the hospital with high sugar and didnt fly for some time with vision problems. First is new fuel and adjust the needles. Hope everyone has good year. Wayne M.

suitcase 01-11-2008 04:32 PM

Hi Wayne. We flew down here in Buckingham county the first too. It got real windy and cold fast but I still got two flights on the BB before calling it a day. I'm retiring in 14 days so hope to get some shop work in soon. Still waiting for the Spoiler to come out. I may sell my Mayhem then and put the YS 110 on it.

barnesracing 01-11-2008 09:03 PM

Look's to be about 40 and winds 5 to 10 sat. I think it's big boy and spoiler time , i got three tanks in on the spoiler before it got dark wed.

Hope everybodygets some flying in this weekend.

KEITH

waynem 01-11-2008 09:47 PM

Hi Suitcase, I plan to fly the big boy again sat. afternoon. Going to try new fuel and tweek the needles on my G23 engine. I installed a volosity stack on it, but dont think that is the problem with the mid-range. Good flying to all. Wayne M.

conchohoncho 01-11-2008 10:06 PM

Removal of the velocity stack took care of a midrange problem a friend of mine had with his G26.
Good luck.

waynem 01-13-2008 07:05 PM

Thanks Conchohoncho, I flew it yesterday with new fuel. The first flight was with old fuel and it surged or sounds like it was going rich. I drew that out and tryed the new fuel. First flight it surged and bubbled at mid-range, then all at once it cleared up and ran good. Landed and refueled and went back up about 15 min. later and it missed or gurgled at top end. I came home and cleaned the carb. I am thinking it might be the inlet needle not closeing. I will run it tomorrow if it dont rain and will post the results. Wayne M. PS> I removed the velocity stack because it was fine without it before.

barnesracing 01-13-2008 07:29 PM

Let us know if ya get it running right? you dont want to tear up the JBB.
I got about 5 flights on the spoiler yesterday but havent flown the JBB since i put ys 140 on it. I'LL let ya know how that goes.

KEITH

isaac 01-14-2008 05:24 PM

So, do we have the new ARF version of the Jerry's Big Boy? If yes where?

waynem 01-14-2008 10:51 PM

Hi Keith, I gave the carb. a good cleaning yesterday. I think I found the problem. When I checked the needles before removeing them I found the low speed turned in to 5/8 of being closed. I was trying to get it from spitting raw fuel and smoking at idle. After cleaning I set the needles at 1& 1/2 turn out on both and ran it at home. Tweeked the needles and it sounds fine, No chance to fly it yet because of high winds. I will post results when I fly it. I think I had trash under the inlet needle that controls the fuel flow. No smoking now with the low needle set at 1&1/4 out. Wayne M.

barnesracing 01-15-2008 08:04 PM

waynem

that's good to here, iv'e only had one gasser and it was a g 38 but im going to get back into gas as i bought randy racers QQ 102 YAK . I will be putting a DA 100 in it .

let us know how it flies when the wind stops?

KEITH

barnesracing 01-15-2008 08:12 PM

ISAAC

Yes there's is a soon to be new ARF it's a spoiler, some of us have them built from some plans, EAST RC out of NC is going to be selling them, he said he will give us a update on this form as soon as he can.

You can't find a better plane, i just took my YS140 off of it and was great on there but i put a OS 160 WITH A MOUSSE CAN and now all i can say is WOW!

You have to get one when they come out.

KEITH

East RC 01-15-2008 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As Tweek already mentioned, the Spoiler prototypes are on the way. We are very anxious to get them approved and into full blown production. I personally have one that Mr. Jerry Smith framed up and I am stuck between a rock and a hard place on whether or not to drop my gear in it and fly it or dress it up nice and put it on display so it can live a long life ;)

Color schemes are on area of topic that will be addressed in due time. We may even have a contest regarding one of two color scheme choices. I personally like these colors quite a bit (The first being my absolute favorite so far):

More on this "Contest" later....

gary van dyke 01-16-2008 08:55 AM

Does anyone have Spoiletr plans that they would be willing to sell? I have a Big Boy built from the kit that I have been flying for 10 years. It is one of my favorite planes. I am anxious to compare the differences between the two as well as build a Spoiler. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

waynem 01-16-2008 05:37 PM

Keith, I flew the big boy today and the G23 ran fine. I think I had dirt under the inlet needle that controls the fuel. Before I run it again it will have a felt filter on it. Anyone know what the size of the Spoiler ARF will be? Wingspan and lenght and Weight? Wayne M.

barnesracing 01-16-2008 08:23 PM

EAST RC
I thought the splat covering was going to be one of the choices? the orange one is randy racers and i like it but i would just have to keep flying my old one , so i wouldn't look like his.

KEITH

barnesracing 01-16-2008 08:32 PM

WAYNEM
My spoiler has the side force gen. on the wing tips that randy racer put on it. but the rest of them have 80 in just like big boy, the wings are the same, elev. rudder are bigger and the fuse, is a little different under the wing.

It's in the 10 to 11 lbs range

KEITH

East RC 01-16-2008 10:54 PM

ORIGINAL: barnesracing

EAST RC
I thought the splat covering was going to be one of the choices?

KEITH

That is correct. If we do a contest regarding a color scheme it will only be for one scheme. The first scheme is already decided.

Chris

randy racer 01-17-2008 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
my spoiler was built by TimG and covered by him as well. it is a very easy to see color and i like i so much that i covered my delta wing in the same colors. mine came in just under 10 lbs with a OS 160fx. if the guys at east rc get the spoiler right it will be the best flying all around fun plane you guys have ever had your thumbs on. i fly mostly giant scale but if i want to just have fun and rip up the sky the spoiler is what comes out of the trailer.

randy

barnesracing 01-17-2008 08:30 PM

EAST RC

You said the first color scheme was decided, is that the SPLAT scheme? also the orange pattern ,but done in purple outlined in black. just subbing purple for orange,

THANKS KEITH

East RC 01-18-2008 10:36 AM

Hi Keith,

One of the schemes will be the "Splat" scheme.

Chris

Gimble Bender 01-18-2008 12:23 PM

My spoiler has the side force gen. on the wing tips that randy racer put on it. but the rest of them have 80 in just like big boy, the wings are the same, elev. rudder are bigger and the fuse, is a little different under the wing.

KEITH
Unless it's mine, then it's in the 9 lb 6 oz range (with a 1.60FX) :D

Nogyro 01-18-2008 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Gimble Bender

KEITH
Unless it's mine, then it's in the 9 lb 6 oz range (with a 1.60FX) :D
Ah yes........a former plane of randy racers..........that explains the extra weight. [X(][X(][X(]

barnesracing 01-18-2008 08:18 PM

GIMBLE BENDER AND NOGYRO

It's good to see ya on here.

frank i would have to reweigh the spoiler since i took the YS off and put the OS 160 on it , but i get the randy big belly racer joke.

KEIYH

randy racer 01-18-2008 09:01 PM

you guys just hate me cause i'm a well rounded person, and i am the god of all things RC. just kidding really i'm just a fat guy with rusty thumbs but spring is on it's way i hope. i can't wait to get the spoilers and big boys out and rip up the sky.

rr

Nogyro 01-18-2008 11:10 PM

Keith,

I had to jump in here and say something to try to break these winter time blues......[:@] Don't know about everyone else, but this cold, damp, crappy winter weather is starting to make me go crazy!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!! Man I sure mis all the good BS'ing out at the flying field of this past summer. Even Randy's been quiet lately.........Got to be something wrong with him too. :D He's always good for a laugh!