RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Great Planes DR-1 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/2953627-great-planes-dr-1-arf.html)

khodges 09-10-2006 08:05 PM

RE: Great Planes DR-1 ARF

ORIGINAL: paladin

Ok guy's, after touch down do you try to stear it , or is that asking for trouble?

The trouble part. When you get it on the ground, let it go whichever direction makes it happy. It won't roll far, but once landed, it loses tail authority unless you gun the engine and get air moving over it. But never mind that, when it stops, and it's still sitting on its wheels, go out and get it, be real happy:). Every time I've gotten froggy after a good landing and tried to taxi in, I've wound up rocking it up on a wingtip and flipping it over.

As far as the broke wing goes, I bet it broke the spar close to the root, where the leading and trailing edges notch in. The only portion of the bottom wing that extends the full length is the main spar. Both the leading and trailing edge end before the wing enters the cutout in the fuse, so any torque on the wing is borne entirely by the spar. I broke mine on both sides of the fuse on its maiden landing; when I repaired it, I notched each rib just forward of the main spar and laminated a 1/4 inch carbon fiber rod to the front of the main spar, the full length of the wing. Still going strong a year later and who-knows-how-many wingtip to wingtip landings.

paladin 09-10-2006 08:38 PM

Thanks guys!

I broke it just like you said.

It was a day with no wind, a slight breeze of 5mph 90 degrees to the runnway on occation. That calm was what got me because it felt like the roll out lasted for ever. Normally with wind first touch to full stop is twenty feet. I also got the impression that my attempts to rase the low wing just added to the second touch.

Thanks again guy's

Mustang Fever 09-10-2006 09:59 PM

Yeah, the last time I busted mine, it was the same deal. I had just flown against my pal's SE 5A for the second time at the annual Warbirds Over Grand Ledge, in Mich. The wind kept clocking around, and I finally had to walk down to the end of the active runway so I could land into it. I had a nice approach, and she was rolling out clean when the wind shifted 90 degrees, puffed, and there she went, wingtip over wingtip. It broke mounting points on all three wings, busted the aft spars on the lower and center, and broke the elevator and the right aileron in two.

Took me about a week to repair it, and it flies great. I've lost track of how many times I've cracked it up on landing, and how many times I had to completely replace the bottom wing. I only fly it now when I know I can land in whatever direction I have to so it'll stay into the wind.

I love it. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I can't get over the look on my buddie's face when I nail the rudder, turn inside his SE 5 and get on his butt so fast he has no idea what happened. Bang! You're dead! The Red Baron strikes again.

paladin 09-11-2006 10:14 PM

Thanks Bob.

I had a VK camel a long long time ago and while it would turn on rudder only it would bank the wings. But this baby will do a skidding turn with no banking of the wings. tight barrel roles are cool also, hard to keep track of were it is in the roll. Ahh, flying box kites! Just wish I did not have ti waite for the wind to be down the runway.

Joe

NoFlaps 09-12-2006 06:13 PM

So, has anyone picked up the new Hangar 9 Spwith camel yet ?
:D

103/17 09-25-2006 03:38 PM

Hey,

I have a post here looking to purchase a Great Planes DR1. Anyone looking to part with one? It can be with or without the engine. Preferably without. It can be new or slightly crashed, thats a pretty big spread in condition. [email protected] if anyone is looking to part with one.

Thanks
103/17
Rusty Scott

forestroke 09-26-2006 01:28 AM

i believe there was one on ebay. it might be over now, though.

just checked 5 days left

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/FOK...dZ1#la-image-5

paladin 10-11-2006 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This weekend the wind was right down the runway, the planets were aligned, so I brought the tri-plane to the field. but most importantly Ed was there to take pic's.

Joe

A pic in the air is worth 9 on the flight line

forestroke 10-11-2006 10:47 PM

I'm so jealous!!! Beautiful plane!!!

Timoteo 10-12-2006 09:56 AM

Great picture sequence!

Sport_Pilot 10-12-2006 02:33 PM

Fantastic. BTW I think this was a better ARF than the Hanger 9 Sopwith. More balsa and less plywood makes for a lighter plane. One day I will rebuild mine.

Bosshossv8 10-12-2006 07:44 PM

those pics make me want to finish mine.

MAgnum 91 .....

jstanton 10-16-2007 09:43 AM

I was able to pickup one of these at my LHS. He still had one in stock. I have 2 engines I can use and would like to know which one would fly this Tri-plane the best. I have a great running Super Tigre G-61 and I also so have a good running Magnum 91FS. If the plane is tail heavy how much weight will be need if I use one of these engines?:eek:

BULL-RCU 10-16-2007 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: jstanton

I was able to pickup one of these at my LHS. He still had one in stock. I have 2 engines I can use and would like to know which one would fly this Tri-plane the best. I have a great running Super Tigre G-61 and I also so have a good running Magnum 91FS. If the plane is tail heavy how much weight will be need if I use one of these engines?:eek:

Go with the magnum 91 fs. Perfect combo. Been flying mine with it for yrs. Using a Groupner wide blade prop. Will balance perfect and fly great. The sound matches great too and burns next to no fuel.

Quick note and change. Looking a my pic I noticed I have a Brass hub on mine. Been flying it so long forgot about the hub. Think is 2oz but not sure..

jstanton 10-16-2007 01:47 PM

Great looking Pic's. I'll use the Magnum 91FS with a heavy spinner. Thanks:D

BULL-RCU 10-16-2007 01:59 PM

You won't be disapointed...

Fun plane to fly. Just don't land in a cross wind. Have flown mine on some pretty widy days but always land straight into and takoff straight into the wind. only takes a few feet to take off and will launch right up so try and keep it down a bit... don't want a tip stall...

check out my gallery have a few more pics

jstanton 10-16-2007 02:12 PM

Bull-RCU

Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at your site. I'll keep her facing into the wind.:D

103/17 10-18-2007 01:31 PM

After a season on my Great Planes DR1 here are my thoughts. AWSOME but a few tuning issues. Everyone I have talked to who has one complained of the same "ballooning" on landing. Mine was balanced properly according to the Great Planes specs. I ballanced it with 2 2x4s with a 1" piece of triangle stock glued to each one as a point to balance on. I slid the 2x4s between the wings then suspended them between two chairs hanging the plane in the air. On this model more so than others your fingers wont cut it. My balance was to the front of Great Planes recomended point but the ballooning felt like a tail heavy plane. I threw the instructions out and relied on 20 + years of building and flying. 5 test flights later, I ended up with an additional 9 ounces in the nose!!! Guess what it lands like a dream now with no balooning or nose up when I cut the throttle for my approach. This is a common complaint I have heard from many seasoned flyers on this aircraft, even from 2 guys this year at Rhinebeck who had them. The CG is not correct in the instructions. I have a .91 OS max Surpass and 13.5 oz of lead on the firwall. Trimmed for full throttle my elevator is neutral. Prior to adding the additional weight my elevator was trimmed a few degrees down for straight and level flight at wide open. If you have this issue add a little weight it helps a lot. Then look at the elevator trim when you land.
The other issue is I replaced the CA hinges on the full flying rudder with Du Bro pin hinges after a few flights. They all cracked and failed. I almost lost the airplane. I cut them out, glued in new ones and pinned them with toothpics from the side. They wont fail and I feel better each time it takes off. This hinge issue is something I would take heed to as I have seen 2 others that are the same way.
I love the plane and the .91 OS is a great combo. I cant imagine a .70 like they tell you to use. The .91 is heavier so it helps the tail heavy issue, you dont have to add as much lead and it has better power. I run a 14x6 K prop and its a great combination. S&W 15% heli fuel.

This one is a keeper for sure. Get online and find one before they are all gone if you like DR1s[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]

103/17

jstanton 10-18-2007 01:45 PM

103/17

If the CG point in the instructions are wrong where do you have the CG with the added weight you put in the nose? I am going to be using a Magnum 91RFS engine which is very close to the OS in weight. I thank you for your help. I have the Dynaflight SE5-A and I thought this plane would compliment my SE5-A. It is very close to the same scale.:D

BULL-RCU 10-18-2007 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: jstanton

103/17

If the CG point in the instructions are wrong where do you have the CG with the added weight you put in the nose? I am going to be using a Magnum 91RFS engine which is very close to the OS in weight. I thank you for your help. I have the Dynaflight SE5-A and I thought this plane would compliment my SE5-A. It is very close to the same scale.:D
If you use the 91 fs magnum and add the Harry Higley Heavy Hub 2oz brass might be 2 1/2oz and if concerned use their brass locking safty nut too. I know great planes makes them. The one I used was made by HIGLEY you can see them at rougerc.com.

I too did not use the CA hinges I used Robart pinpoint in the rudder and pined hinges in the elevator and alerons.

You will want to put a little down elavator on the DR-1 before your first take off.

I didn't have to shove anything way forward just standard setup. Check the CG after set up make sure it is a little forward and work your way back. Easier to land a nose heavy plane then fly a tail heavy one.

I have mine set up a little different then the last guys opinion... It's a matter of flying style. I have mine flying level at half throttle... At full mine tends to climb a little. Very seldom do I go over that except on take off. Usually don't even do that on take off. I have my CG back at where they recommend. Never a problem with balloning on landing / yes I have some down elevator build in, but mine flys and lands very slow and flys extremely light and manuvable. I had it a bit nose heavy for a while but lands faster and rolls out farther... I want mine to stop and quit rolling as fast as I can.. The wings are very delicate and break easy... If you catch a wing tip while rolling out when or if it starts to rock you will have a crack in it... I fly off grass. I have since reenforced my bottom wing.

103/17 10-18-2007 03:03 PM

Well, here is what I can tell you. I have never ground looped this airplane. It takes off as straight as an arrow for me as long as I dont throttle up to quickly. This plane has a lot of "rudder blanking" as the full scale does. I have dragged a wing tip on occasion when landing if the wind is at 90 degrees to the field. from 1/2 to full throttle with the balance I have, my plane flies pretty much level. I also dont climb or fall off or need a lot of elevator to fly inverted. If you need down trim for upright flight you will need awkward correction for inverted flight. Flying most any plane with down trim in the elevator is a symptom of a tail heavy airframe having to lift the tail to compenaste for rearward balance. If the elevator is neutral in trim then your balance is correct. This plane will fly with a very wide envelope of balance point so the other fellow is correct it is a matter of preference. I hate flying quirks and the ballooning on aproach that my plane and several others I have seen fly was not acceptable for me. The plane also wandered at low speed until I added the weight to the nose, now it follows the nose . I am not sure of the exact balance point but I will measure it and get back to you with it.

103/17

jstanton 10-18-2007 03:55 PM

Bull & 103

Thanks for all of your help. I am in the building stage right now and I will get the Harry Hiley 2 1/2oz spinner. I will add extra weight if needed. I plan on balancing the plane at the forward position and work from there. I did get some lustercoate clear spray to dull the monokote. I want it to look as much like the real color as possible. I also decided to spray the cowling flat black and paint the face on it as I have seem on others. I think it looks real cool.:D

jstanton 10-18-2007 09:46 PM

hay guy's what is the best pilot figure I can use for this Fokker DR-1?:eek:

Magical_Merlin 10-18-2007 10:30 PM

Anybody have any idea of someone who still has one of these in stock? Thanks.

AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken 10-19-2007 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPRS3&P=ML]WW1 German Pilot $7.99[/link]

Add some white cloth to make a scarf.

http://rc-modeler.net/images/Fokker2.jpg