RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Great Planes DR-1 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/2953627-great-planes-dr-1-arf.html)

jstanton 10-19-2007 09:56 AM

RE: Great Planes DR-1 ARF

Thanks's. I'll order one today. the with seems to be a little wide for the Fokker DR-1 cocpit, but it is a great Planes pilot and this Plane is a 1/5 scale Fokker I believe.:D

103/17 10-19-2007 11:29 AM

Anybody who wants some wing strut streamers for their DR1 my wife makes fantastic one in black and white that have a sewn loop to put the bottom strut through. They look fantastic. If you want to be the squadron leader you need some of these.

103/17

103/17 10-19-2007 11:37 AM

Go to www.guildhallfunflyers.com click on photos. The photos there are of my Great Planes Dr1. We are lucky enough to have a professional photographer as a member and he gets a lot of good shots. My sons Flair D7 is there as well. Both have wing strut ribbons.

103/17

jstanton 10-19-2007 12:22 PM

I just ordered the Great Planes 1/5 scale WW1 German pilot, a Dur-bro brass spinner(3oz) and 2 MAS simitar 14x6 props.

103/17

I'll take a looks at your streamer and maybe order some.:D

jstanton 10-22-2007 03:46 PM

103/17

I took a look at your web site and I have the same planes you do. I see you have the Daynaflite SE5-A. I have it and love the way it fly's. I am almost finished with the Fokker DR-1 and I will send you a PM about the streamers. Here is a short video on my SE5-A.:D

http://media.putfile.com/DynaFlite-SE-5a75

jstanton 10-31-2007 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well she is finished. here are a few pic's. I hope to do the maiden flight tomorrow is the wind is light. I have a magnum 91FS engine for power with a MAS 14x6 simitar prop.:D

Mustang Fever 09-02-2008 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got some nice airborne shots of my very old (Dec 04) Great Planes DR-1 ARF. My opponent was a BUSA 1/4 scale Nieuport 28 C1

jstanton 09-02-2008 03:16 PM

Bob,

Very nice looking pic's. I hope you were able to do him in. My Fokker DR-1 is still flying great. It would be good to get a bunch of WW1 birds together and have a dawn poatrol meet.:D

Mustang Fever 09-02-2008 07:25 PM

Jim:

He got me. See all the smoke?

They have that dawn patrol at Dayton every other year, I think. For 60" and over WWI birds. I almost went once.

zdsh13 12-29-2009 01:26 AM

I just picked up a used GP DR1, I have a Saito FA-100T twin 4 stroke that I was thinking of using. I see the majority of people are going with the .91FS, just wondering how much lead was needed to balance with the 91FS installation.

Thx

Mustang Fever 12-29-2009 06:16 AM

Thx-

Mine's gone now, got trashed beyond repair at the airshow last fall, but I had a Magnum 91 FS, and a good size battery, and I ended up actually putting a little lead back in the tail.

The battery was a 1800 NiMh cube pack, and it was just mounted behind the firewall, nothing special.

If you use one of the 2000 NiMh Hydrimax packs or something similiar, you should be able to balance it nicely by just moving the battery around- there's plenty of room in the fuse to do it.

It's a fun airplane, and a real crowd pleaser, but be advised, it is a squirelly sucker. It needs lots of rudder action all the time, and I don't think I ever made more than two takeoffs that I was really pleased with. You'll have to be real, real careful to carry some power on final approach, or all that drag will just pull it out of the sky. (That's what happened to mine- I had throttled back too much because of the wind, and was nose down in a glide with the landing nailed, and then the wind just ****** quit and dropped it from about two feet and it cartwheeled.)

zdsh13 12-29-2009 07:38 AM

I knew that is was going to be a squirrelly airplane to takeoff or land when I bought it.... But I just love the looks of it and needed to have one. I'm thinking this will be an evening fly queen when the winds are calm. My FA-100T will be heavier than your magnum 91, but I don't mind adding weight to the tail if needed :)

jstanton 12-29-2009 07:52 AM

There is so much wing area this plane can handle the extra weight that your Saito 100 will have. I also flew mine with a Magnum FS-91 and it flew great. You are right about it being hard to handle on the ground, but once it the air it is a very gentle flyer. It is so easy to fly it would even make a good trainer except for the gound handling issue. Good luck with it I know you'll have a great time flying the DR-1.;)

soinks 12-29-2009 06:25 PM

I've been looking for one of these planes for a long time preferably new in the box but maybe a used one too. I'm kinda liking the WW1 planes and had a chance for one of these but passed sorry now. So if anyone knows of one please let me know. I don't want to build a kit right now don't have the time I know that Balsa USA has one but don't have the time.

zdsh13 12-29-2009 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: soinks

I've been looking for one of these planes for a long time preferably new in the box but maybe a used one too. I'm kinda liking the WW1 planes and had a chance for one of these but passed sorry now. So if anyone knows of one please let me know. I don't want to build a kit right now don't have the time I know that Balsa USA has one but don't have the time.
Your kinda like me, I always wanted a DR1 and did buy the Balsa USA 1/4 scale DR1 as project for the winter. Then I found the smaller great planes one for sale close to where I live on the forums, I picked it up in a heartbeat. Looking forward to flying it this spring.

paladin 12-29-2009 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I forgot about this thread! and i have some pic's to share.

paladin 12-29-2009 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
typical Dr1 landing, but its a challenge that only a few have known. it all came out good this time.

Joe

zdsh13 12-29-2009 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: paladin

I forgot about this thread! and i have some pic's to share.

Sweet pics, now I really can't wait til spring to fly it.

Trinut 12-29-2009 10:54 PM

paladin,
I have one of these palnes - havn't flown it yet. But I have read that it helps to set (force) the landing gear fairing to a similar incidence as the wings.
Maybe someone with first hand experience couild look at your photos and chime in?

paladin 12-31-2009 12:37 AM

Trinut, my wheel wing self adjusts. After about 30-50 flights I found out that the LG squirrel cage is only held together by paint and crimps I have to strip the paint away and soldier all the crimps. I have flown it with the LG wing parallel to the ground in a three point stance and it changes the neutral elevator only. It flys fine with the LG wing in any reasonable position, just changed the elevator neutral. so i set it to give me a neutral elevator where it is sapposed to be.

When you build yours document the relationship between the bottom wing and the LG wing so as things start to get loose you will know where to reset it. It will build with the LG wing incidence set. The problem is that there is NO shock absorption in the squirrel cage, or the fuse, and very little in the wheels so something has to give and now it gives a little.

Joe

zdsh13 02-12-2010 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got around to mounting my FA-100T. I ended up using standoffs to get the distance I needed from the firewall, I also had a Keleo exhaust for the engine which I used. I'm looking forward to spring to get it flying....