RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Great Planes GIANT Big Stik !!! (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/3164223-great-planes-giant-big-stik.html)

mercula 09-13-2005 08:14 AM

RE: Great Planes GIANT Big Stik !!!

How much does that 44cc weigh ? I also put on 4 in wheels

Broken Wings 09-13-2005 03:37 PM

I haven't weighed it yet. It might not work but I'm going to give it a shot. What I really like about the Tartan is that it's got a pull starter. Anything that keeps me away from the propeller is a good thing. I've been bitten by a Webra .50 with a wooden propeller and it taught me a very valuable lesson. It was due to my own stupidity, (the fuel tank hatch blew off and I just reached in to get it.....Ouch!!! That's gonna leave a mark....) Anyway....

Panzlflyer 09-13-2005 09:34 PM

Well I got around to weighing mine with a Fpe 2.4 stock muffler and its 11lbs 12oz hard to balance at their amended cg but okay at 6"
24 oz tank fits with some mods.

finless 09-17-2005 08:15 AM

Mercula,
I am running a 16x10 APC prop and my static RPM is 7,400. When I fly and read the LED I get a max RPM of 10,000.
Mine balanced a bit aft of the addendum CG mark of 5 5/8ths". e.g about 6" mark. I am going to move it back a little bit more towards the 7" mark per the review on RCU.

Make sure you follow the addendum on the elevator throws! I left mine at 1" and it was sensitive. I had to dial in 80% expo to compensate but I am now liking that set up. I am going to increase the ailerons a bit more and put in some differential. I went for the max rudder throw I could get and that’s perfect.

Bob

Quote:

ORIGINAL: mercula

Nice job finless! Im just running in my engine today , Might maiden it this week sometime , What prop and rpm are you gettin ?

My 35 with 18-10 just running in rich full throttle im getting 16.5 pounds thrust on the fish scale ! This things got some real power ! Kinda scary every now and then , Im not used to these big dogs . Engines and props this big command some serious respect .

What was your final balance point ? You used the Recomended throws ?

See ya
http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...s/lg-23716.jpg

SnApRoLl- 09-19-2005 03:06 PM

Hello all :) how is everyone?

I am thinking of getting a giant stik and putting a moki 2.10 that I have laying around on it. anyone think it might be too much power?

"TEACH A KID TO FLY AND OUR HOBBY WILL LAST A LIFETIME"

Piper Pilot 09-19-2005 10:45 PM

Got my Giant Stik on Friday, same old Great Planes quality. The covering is wrinkled over the entire model, and they didn't sand a thing. I'm not sure why the covering arrives in such bad shape, but they are consistent because all of the Great Planes ARF's look the same. My stab has a huge warp that won't come out, guess I'll have to call for the replacement.

However, I'm sure it will fly great and can't wait to get it going. I just wish Great Planes would improve the quality of there ARF product line.

Panzlflyer 09-21-2005 08:17 AM

Well mine flies just fine but it seems the landing gear is back 2 inches to far as its real hard to taxi with the gear back from the leading edge.
Set up Full span ailerons, Flaps with Elevator, Crow etc.
Great slow speed with or without flaps.
Mine was pretty well built.
Covering good although hard to tell which way is up as its the same both sides.
If anyone wants to buid one the RYans REbel outflies it any day!!

Whymee 09-22-2005 01:03 AM

Anybody use a ZDZ 40 in this stick yet? Comments?

Panzlflyer 09-22-2005 10:44 AM

No,Im using a FPE 40, the only thing that you will have to do is cut the firewall

SnApRoLl- 09-22-2005 03:41 PM

Anyone have any comments about using a Moki 2.10 on this bird?
Thanks

Panzlflyer 09-26-2005 10:26 PM

I finally moved the gear to its correct location that brings it in line with the leading edge of the wing ( As a tail dragger ) and it ground handles much better.
I think GP messed up here as it was a bear on grass. If you look at most other tail draggers the gear is inline with the LE.
Am I the only one with this problem???

Also the Vertical stab is not all that well secured..may need flying wires.

bdtsr 09-27-2005 02:18 PM

I think the Tartan idea sounds pretty cool, but then I have 2 of Tartan 44 twins complete with Chapman tuned pipes! I also have an ignition to go on one of them. This stick thing just might just have bitten me too!:D

Panzlflyer 09-27-2005 08:17 PM

I think the only problem you wil have will be prop clearance and beef up the firewall...also if you have landing gear like mine you may want to move it forward. With the FPE it was slightly tail heavy.

chuck l 12-03-2005 06:31 PM

Looking for some help. For shipping reasons, is it feasible to assemble this plane so that the fin/rudder can be removed. I'm looking at buying this plane and using it for a while in Florida, then shipping it back to Minnesota. With the fin/rudder and stabilizer installed, it would be a pretty big box. Would running some screws through the fuselage and fin, along with some guide wires to the stabilizer work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chuck

Doug D. 12-04-2005 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Snap roll !
I think you well be fine with the Moki 2.10. Easy on the throttle until you get the hang of it and throttle back if you notice or hear any flutter. You won't need a lot of pitch on the prop. This Stick flies great at slow speeds.
I've been flying one around with a Fox 2.4 on the front having a great time. Went with some larger wheels for better prop clearance though.

Doug D.

jstanton 12-21-2005 10:01 AM

Here is a link to my post of my Great Planes Giant Big Stik with a Mac 38cc. :D Ejoy

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_36...tm.htm#3676968

Broken Wings 01-08-2006 12:19 AM

Has anyone tried using a Big 2 Stroke Glow engine on their Giant Stick? Maybe the OS 1.6 or one of the big Super Tigre engines?
I'm still undecided on what I'm going to use but I'm leaning toward a Glow Engine if for nothing else than familiarity.

I want to use a flutes nose gear instead of the tail dragger configuration.

chuck l 01-13-2006 07:14 PM

I've had my Big Stik out flying four days this week, with the maiden on Sunday, and have a few questions and comments. Takeoffs and landings are pretty easy, however I don't like the roll rate with the ailerons only, much better with the flaps mixed in as ailerons. The plane was a little twitchy until I dialed in 50% expo on the ailerons, obviously I have nervous thumbs. The rudder and elevator are not as effect as I'd like to see, they are set at the Great Planes's recommendations and have high torque servos driving them. What settings are you guys using on them? The G26 pulls it vertical, almost out of sight, and it gets better as fuel is burned off. I'm using about a 1/3 of a tank of fuel in a fifteen minute flight, so I might decrease the tank size.

All in all, I'm happy with the plane.

Doug D. 01-14-2006 07:53 PM

Hey Chuck l !!!

Agree with you on the roll rate, Much better with all the ailerons working. But with that big square wing it won't be real fast on the roll rate. Condsidering the size of the rudder and elevator there not bad. But dial in more rudder than they reccommend if you want. My son can do a rolling circle with mine (I haven't the practice or thumbs for it). Even he said dial in some more rudder and a little more elevator.
What are you turning for a prop on that G26 ? I've got a 20x8 on my 2.4 as to keep the speed down a bit. Still it moves quickly enough !!!

Brian Smith 01-14-2006 10:37 PM

Am I the only one who attached the flap and aileron together as one unit and only installed one servo in each wing? I looked at it when I was assembling it and had other ships I wish had more aileron surface. So I coupled the flap and aileron physically while building it. Saved a bunch of wiring and two servos. I'm very pleased and enjoy the aileron"and" the flaps acting as one unit. I drop the whole surface in the flap mode and it land s like a chopper. It will fly backwards in the wind and is very stable.. It is one fun ship..Brian Smith
Quote:

ORIGINAL: chuck l

I've had my Big Stik out flying four days this week, with the maiden on Sunday, and have a few questions and comments. Takeoffs and landings are pretty easy, however I don't like the roll rate with the ailerons only, much better with the flaps mixed in as ailerons. The plane was a little twitchy until I dialed in 50% expo on the ailerons, obviously I have nervous thumbs. The rudder and elevator are not as effect as I'd like to see, they are set at the Great Planes's recommendations and have high torque servos driving them. What settings are you guys using on them? The G26 pulls it vertical, almost out of sight, and it gets better as fuel is burned off. I'm using about a 1/3 of a tank of fuel in a fifteen minute flight, so I might decrease the tank size.

All in all, I'm happy with the plane.

chuck l 01-15-2006 08:31 AM

Doug M,

I'm running a APC 17x6 prop on the G26. The engine is borrowed off my OMP Yak profile where ground clearance is a problem. In fact I have a APC 16.2523x6 that used to be a 17x6 to prove ground clearance is a problem. The engine and prop combination pulls the Big Stik just fine, but what improvement would I see going to the larger prop like you are using? I've been thinking of trying a 18x6 prop.

I will dial in more elevator and rudder today to see if it is more to my liking.

Brian Smith,
I haven't heard of any one physically joining the ailerons and flaps on the Big Stik, but it does save some weight and wiring as you mentioned. The UtraStik Lite comes with both flaps and full size ailerons, so the builder doesn't have to do the joining. I haven't had a chance to fly the plane in a heavy head wind yet to see if it will land vertically.

Chuck

Brian Smith 01-15-2006 09:28 AM

I had the Ultra Stick lite also. I went with the one piece flap/aileron on it too. It was also a blast with a G26. I just decided to go with the "Big" stick for the more traditional "Stick" look. And be IMAA legal. They are a super bunch of fun, easy to get into the air for not a lot of money. Have fun. Brian

crawf 01-15-2006 08:26 PM

Good info, everyone! [8D] I am getting my Giant Stik together, using a Zenoah G-38. I will mainly be using this plane to test equipment for my scale projects. Also learning about gas engines and flaps.....

Got a few questions:

1) Any radio interference problems? Anyone using an FM radio?

2) Any vibration problems with the tail-feathers? I was wondering if the stabilizer and fin needed extra support, but none of the pictures show this modification.

Thanks. :D

Doug D. 01-15-2006 09:43 PM

Chuck l

If you want a bit more ground clearance get some bigger wheels. I went with some Dave Brown 4 1/2" foam wheels. Added a little extra. And makes it look a bit more rugged or maybe like a bush plane. Worth a try !!!

Doug D.

Brian Smith 01-16-2006 09:09 AM

I'm using all FM radiogear in my Sticks. Not a problem. One thing I do is make sure I have 12 inches between the back of the motor (MAG) and any radio gear. Use a plastic control rod from your throttle servo and your motor. There are a lot of differing opinions about it, But Bill Carpenter at C&H told me that and I have "NO" radio problems.
I wondered about tail bracing wires too, but I have had no problems so far with my sticks and no tail bracing wires. Won't hurt anything if you want to install some though. Your G38 and the stick will be Mucho fun !! Brian

Quote:

ORIGINAL: crawf

Good info, everyone! [8D] I am getting my Giant Stik together, using a Zenoah G-38. I will mainly be using this plane to test equipment for my scale projects. Also learning about gas engines and flaps.....

Got a few questions:

1) Any radio interference problems? Anyone using an FM radio?

2) Any vibration problems with the tail-feathers? I was wondering if the stabilizer and fin needed extra support, but none of the pictures show this modification.

Thanks. :D