RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Great Planes GIANT Big Stik !!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/3164223-great-planes-giant-big-stik.html)

I_Fly_Coolers 07-13-2005 07:10 PM

Great Planes GIANT Big Stik !!!

Since there is no info yet on this new plane- I decided to start a thread here. Been waiting for this plane for a few weeks now. My fully stocked local hobby shop just got them in!!! Of course I had to take one home with me!!! I am going to install a Ryobi 31cc gas weedwhacker conversion in it!!! I will post pics as I progress. Looks like a real nice kit for $250. Control horns are heavy duty- and, it can be setup as trike gear or a taildragger (this is what I'm doing) AND it already has the blind nuts setup for either PLUS includes the tailwheel!!! Great idea by Great Planes!!!

I_Fly_Coolers 07-13-2005 07:32 PM

RE: Great Planes GIANT Big Stik !!!

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the box, and a close up of the 2 landing gear mounting options. Looks pretty strong. Unfortunately I just found my fuselage crushed at the tail. Will have to exchange it tomorrow. And, here's the main airframe parts weighed out: FUSE: 37oz WING HALF: 21.7oz TAIL FEATHERS: 10 oz TOTAL Airframe weight, no landing gear or hardware: 90.4 oz / 5.7lbs

I_Fly_Coolers 07-13-2005 07:46 PM

A link to Great Planes video : http://www.greatplanes.com/gallery/gpma1224-deluxe.mpg

pettit 07-14-2005 06:06 AM

Since everything that comes in the box will be flying in the air, it may have been better to tell us how much everything weighs.

I_Fly_Coolers 07-14-2005 08:29 AM

Everything in the box WON'T be flying. I WON'T be using the stock wheels, nosewheel,or glow engine mounts, or adapter plates for the Fuji engine they recommend. I will weigh the main gear and axles tonight, everything else will vary according to each person's setup. Just trying to get a basac airframe weight here.

TLH101 07-14-2005 11:08 AM

If you plan to use a Fuji engine, you may want to check out the Gas Engine forum. Especially if you don't already have one.

I_Fly_Coolers 07-14-2005 01:20 PM

No on the Fuji, I already have a 31cc Ryobi I plan to use.

I_Fly_Coolers 07-15-2005 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately this project (and this thread!!) is being postponed for a while. The crushed fuselage of course, is to blame. The LHS doesn't have any more of these kits, they have more on order but unknown when they will arrive. I called Great Planes and they said they could exchange it, but I would have to ship the fuse at MY EXPENSE [:@] to them, and they would inspect it and possibly replace it. However, they have no spare parts for these yet, so I didn't get a direct answer about how long it would take. The LHS offered me a refund, but this is such a well built plane, and perfect for my Ryobi, I want to keep it. They said when their new shipment comes in they will call me.

ICE_MAN 07-15-2005 09:21 PM

WHy not just pullo back the covering and fix it!?!?!?!?!?!

I had a GP UCD 46 with a crushed trailing edge and I fixed it up!

Regards;)

I_Fly_Coolers 07-15-2005 11:42 PM

The picture doesn't show how bad it is. Not only is the bottom crushed, but the side where the cutout is for the stabilizer is pushed in as well, This is all lite ply and it has splintered- Fixing it would be a real pain, especially considering It would have to be perfectly aligned for the tail fethers to fit right. Just not worth it.

ICE_MAN 07-16-2005 12:05 PM

I see... Oh well, you hear anything from the LHS yet?

beach02 07-16-2005 09:21 PM

Do you think the fuji 34 4 cycle would work? Will it fit? Would the extra weight be a problem?
Thanks,
Mike

MinnFlyer 07-18-2005 06:44 AM

I just recieved the Giant Big Stik for an RCU Review. I'll be using a Fuji 32B for power. This is one of the recommended engines, so It shouldn't be too much power.

autopilot 07-18-2005 03:32 PM

Is it just coming in one trim scheme? I always liked the green & white "modern" trim on the smaller stiks.

thedak 07-18-2005 04:27 PM

Why didn't they cover it in pink?

P-51B 07-18-2005 07:53 PM

How about OD upper and grey bottom with some roundels?!

Jerry Hicks 07-24-2005 08:01 PM

I just purchased my Giant Big Stik from my local hobby shop. I'm trying to decide on what engine to use, I've got options. I have an OS 160FX, a Moki 1.8, and one of the new Horizon 26GT, 1.6 cubic inch gas burners. The fuel tank compartment looks small- might be able to get an 18 once tank in it, without any modifications. That's not as much flying time as I'd like with the big glow engines, but would be about right with the gas burner. Im leaning towards the Moki, but I'm sure not looking forward to cleaning all of the gunk after every flying session. I'm curious what other folks plan on using for an engine on this plane.

Doug D. 07-24-2005 09:01 PM

I've got my order in with the LHS as well. Hope it makes it in good shape. I plan on using a large gas burner. They recomend about 38cc which is what I'll shot for. If that proves to be a bit much I'll try a Saito 1.80.

It's a Stick, It Should fly good. "Okay Then "

bckyrdbshr 07-30-2005 09:16 PM

Would the O.S 1.60 be good for this plane? or would a Moki 1.8 or 2.10 be better? Anyone plan to use smoke?

thedak 07-30-2005 11:10 PM

Saito 220

bckyrdbshr 07-31-2005 02:02 AM

Thanks for the reply thedak... I dont care much for 4-strokes I'm more of a big 2-stroke fan. I have a new in the box O.S BGX-1 3500 that need a home. How do you guys think the BGX-1 would pull this big bird around??

cadconversions 07-31-2005 02:15 AM

Just found this bird tonight looking for a home for my Roto 35vi. It's either the GP Super Chipmunk or a stick for some lazy day flying... Decisions...

BTW, the 26GT gasser is a MVVS remake. If they are as powerful as the MVVS I think you would enjoy it on this plane. My 35cc Roto is rated at 4.0 bhp while the MVVS 1.6 is rated at 3.8 bhp.

mercula 07-31-2005 03:45 PM

Mine will be here tomorrow , I plan on running the mvvs 35cc . What are you guys planning on servos ? Im trying to use metal gear on the main surfaces . Does the kit come with ca hinges ? Are any of you gonna run them ? Also does the rest of the hardware look any good ?

Doug D. 08-01-2005 07:12 PM

Well I have brought mine home from the hobby store. It seems to have arrived in good shape ! Still plan using a gas burner. My engine won't need that big of stand off mounts. I'll have to redesign the mount.

mercula 08-01-2005 09:36 PM

I also got mine today , I have to say im impressed . They did take extra measures to beef these up a little . Im waitng for my engine so Ill work on it slowly . Im not using the ca hinges, but the controll horns look decent . Ill also be doing some additional rienforcing.
Anyone decide on servos yet ? I bought the radial mount for my MVVS so it sould fit with the nose gear stuff (I can also use the supplied mount ) .