RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Hangar 9 Pulse XT 40 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/4460136-hangar-9-pulse-xt-40-a.html)

Flipper430 07-03-2006 09:46 PM

Hangar 9 Pulse XT 40

1 Attachment(s)
Well i managed to get out to the field this morning and maiden the Pulse.I must say this plane looks to be a great alternative to a 4-star.I have yet to do the lateral balancing and left the wheel pants off until i get more free time,but i must say it flys and tracks very well.The covering scheme is easy to see and she went together without any problems,another plus is the two piece wing.I powered it with a Evolution .46 nt and an APC 11-6 prop.Attached are a couple of pics from the field.

Steve 07-04-2006 08:59 AM

RE: Hangar 9 Pulse XT 40

Glad to hear you like it. I've got one in the box that I will build. How does it do in knife-edge flight? I think I'll put a four stroker in mine.

Oregon Craig 07-04-2006 11:31 AM

Those are cool. I like having an ARF ready to go that I don't mind destroying!:D
Right now I have a WM SkyRaider II with a Magnum .46
I think that Pulse would be cool with a Saito .56, no?

Oregon Craig 07-04-2006 05:24 PM

I realize now that this isn't exactly as cheap as a WM plane, and H9 recommends an .80 four stroke? Okay.

rds25 07-06-2006 09:29 AM

I have a spare Magnum 70 4 stroke laying around, wonder if this would be a good fit for it or if it would need more power?

Oregon Craig 07-07-2006 12:08 AM

If it can fly with a .46 2 stroke, you would sure think your 70 would do the job.
If it can fly with an electric motor, then anything oughta work.
All but the very expensive electric setups that I have ever seen are
extremely anemic. If you pay as much as 3-4 good glow engines for 1
electric setup, then it will work. Maybe that's what they mean, it
will fly with the very expensive electric combos. 70 sure oughta,
but I see they recommend an 80. Or 82, whatever Saito has around that size.:eek:

panhandledon 07-10-2006 08:39 AM

I purchased the Pulse XT for a fun fly plane and because I had a Saito 72 without a home. I was pretty well please with everything up to the point of installing the engine. If anyone has installed a 72 or 82 without some major mods to the engine mount or firewall, I would appreciate your advice.

panhandledon

Oregon Craig 07-10-2006 10:46 AM

I hope somebody can help you.
Just for the record, if it matters, they recommend a .46 2C or a .82 4C.

panhandledon 07-10-2006 11:25 AM

Thanks, N70R. The Saito 72 and 82 share the same case, so if one will fit, both will. I have e-mailed Horizon to see what their solution is. I'm thinking they pushed their imagination a little bit in saying an 82 will fit. We'll see.

Steve 07-10-2006 03:08 PM

Let us know how it goes. I was thinking of the Saito 82 myself. I wish YS had a .75 size motor.

HughBrown 07-10-2006 10:23 PM

I put a Saito 72 on my pulse and how I did it was to first turn the Carb around so the throttle lever was to the right side of the fuse and then rotate the lever 180 degrees so it points up. After that I took the dremel and cut a small notch in the firewall in line with the throttle linkage and install Sullivan Golden Rod between the Throttle servo and the Throttle. I also rotated the servo output arm 180 degrees and the rod passes nicely above the tank and up to the engine. make sure you use the clips that come with the metal clevices.

Hope that helps.

panhandledon 07-11-2006 08:40 AM

Thanks, HughBrown, for your reply. Wish I could see a picture of your install. Using the supplied engine mount will require some modification to get the engine back to the 4" required for the cowl. Configuring my 72 with the throttle lever on the right side and pointing up, the lever is above the fuselage.

panhandledon

panhandledon 07-12-2006 07:21 PM

Well, guess what, Horizon didn't reply within the 72 hours that their automated initial reply said. Truth is IMOH, this plane was never intended to take the Saito 82. It will be a fine plane for electric or a 46 2 cycle. The fire wall measures only 3 3/4" square which should be an early clue. Oh yes, I'm putting an OS 46AX on mine.

Panhandledon

HughBrown 07-12-2006 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of my pulse with the Saito 72. She flies great and has a great sound.

panhandledon 07-13-2006 08:36 AM

Good Job, My hangup first of all was trying to obtain the 4" spacing between the firewall and the front of the prop washer. From your pictures, you mounted your 72 as far back as possible and went on from there. Secondly, you have the throttle arm facing down. thanks...

Panhandledon

mgruenba 07-13-2006 10:21 AM

I am definitely gonna be getting one of these at the end of the summer. I was gonna use JR 537 digital standard-torque servos. I was gonna use an OS 46 AX for power.
Would this work?
What size and type spinner?
Which propeller?
How long are the servo extensions?

Thanks,
Mike

HughBrown 07-13-2006 11:37 AM

With the type of Y harness I used i didnt have to use any servo extensions. the only one was for the connection of the y harness to the reciever. The airplane came with its own spinner and I would go for the 12.25X3.75 APC for the prop on an AX. I know that sounds like a crazy size but give it a try and you will be amazed. I use a 13X6 on the Saito.

P-51B 07-13-2006 12:42 PM

I wonder how it flies on the recommended E-setup?

HughBrown 07-25-2006 08:46 PM

I finally got around to flying my Pulse this past weekend. It really scoots with the saito up front and almost unlimited vertical. I honestly think the 82 up front would rip the wing off! A little speedy on the landings but not to bad. Handles wind great! The profile of the airplane is really added to by the big ol 72 up front! A few loose screws after the maiden flite but I hit 'em with a little red loctite and we are ready to go again! Now off to my first Big Bird project. Morris Hobbies Jerry's Big Boy!

HitecMan 07-26-2006 12:11 AM

I need a replacmen for my old fazer, how bout one of these with NIB OS AX 46, APC 12.25X3.75 love that combonation, HS 425 All the way around. i need a quick aerobatic sport plane.

proptop 07-26-2006 01:39 AM

I've been flying mine a little over a month with "E" power...
I have an AXi 4120/14 which is virtually identical to the recommended E-Flite Power 46...

The AUW is 5 lb. 9 oz. with a Kokam 4S1P 3200, a Phoenix 80 ESC and a Koolflight UBEC.
Radio is a Hitec 555 rx. and 4) Futaba 3004's

With an APC 13 X 8E I get about 700 Watts / 55 Amps, and a 20' take-off roll...with a vertical climb out to about 150' or so...(hardly "anemic" :D)

If you figure the cost of the batteries as sort of like buying a whole seasons worth of fuel at the outset, then it doesn't cost much more than putting a .46-.50 2 stroke in it, and if you figure the cost of a Saito .72-.82 the cost difference is not much at all...

It's one of (if not the ) easiest builds I've ever encountered. Everything went together with no problems...
It flys beautifully...nice and smooth, like a sport/pattern type and will do just about anything you want in that respect. It knife edges quite well, with very little roll couple w/ rudder (proverse ) and just the slightest tuck to the belly.

It glides excellently, probably due to a very clean cowl (no engine sticking out in the breeze ;)) and despite the fact that I left the wheel pants off. I have to pull the power all the way off on the down wind leg to get 'er to slow down enough on final...

Only complaint I have is changing the battery pack...
Due to the fact I have an AXi, I had to space the motor out a little more to get the cowl/spinner in the right place. Consequently, it's a little nose heavy unless I shift the battery waaayyy back, so I have to remove the wing every time I change the pack.
It's not enough to really bug me though...because it's such a nice flying airplane...and I get positive comments from everyone who sees it fly :D

Fastsky 07-26-2006 10:12 AM

I saw a video of this plane on the web and now can't find it. Any body have the web address??:eek:

STomic 08-04-2006 10:17 AM

Proptop,
I had the same experience with having to pull power way out and still it would come in hot and wamt to float ... once I programmed my landing switch to raise the ailerons an 1/8th of an inch it settled down nicely.
~S

Razoo 08-04-2006 10:36 AM

Mines almost finished (just have to mount the engine). I'm going to use an AX.46 which should be plenty of power for my type of flying. The plane went together extremely well. Pre-installed push rod tubes and cut out for on/off switch are nice touches. Hope it flies as good as it looks!

thunderbolts 08-10-2006 11:52 AM

Did you guys use the supplied clevis hardware or swap for metal???