RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Seagull Yak? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/5002042-seagull-yak.html)

OliverJacob 03-18-2013 05:47 PM

RE: Seagull Yak?

The modifications took only a few minutes with the Dremel. No big deal, was the easiest option for me. Then add some
wood to the inside of the box (which is always a good idea) didn't take long either.
Sounds more dramatic then it is, but shifting the engine would be ok, too.

I have 2 LiFes. each about 1600 mah with a regulator on each. They are really light. Since I had some interference with a single battery and a faulty opto switch, I rather have them separated. Most people never have any problems using just one battery, so it's just some piece of mind for me.

The ignition module sits right behind the firewall, separated from other electronics and wires

proteus_X3 03-18-2013 06:09 PM

comments and photo's remove because they where off topic

lopflyers 03-18-2013 06:34 PM

Oh no, what is up with this, I have A seagull Yak and a GP Revolver 70 too.
Truth is they are both gorgeous planes

RCVFR 03-19-2013 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: proteus_X3

ORIGINAL: RCVFR

I flew the G20 on mine. I used short standoffs to position the prop where it is called for. No balance issues; mine flew best balanced just behind te wing tube.

RCVFR,
Thanks, so your CG is 5.5" from leading edge of the wing? BTW I like your name,you a pilot? RCVFR <em style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(17, 34, 204); cursor: pointer; font-family: arial, sans-serif;">Radio controled visual flight ruleshttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Cheers: Rich</span>[/i]
I no longer have the plane, so can't confirm the 5.5 inches, but it sounds about right. (Yes, I do have a pilots licence, but not current.)

Enjoy the plane, it's a good one.

proteus_X3 03-19-2013 08:37 AM

Qiuck question,I want to replace the stock landing gear with a carbon fiber[graphictec] one,but there seems to be a "grayarea"here.I have read that a Funtanna .90 works and the 100x will work too, so which one is it?<div>Thanks Rich </div>

RCVFR 03-19-2013 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: proteus_X3

Qiuck question,I want to place the stock landing gear with a carbon fiber one,but there seems to be a "grayarea"here.I have read that a Funtanna .90 works and the 100x will work too, so which one is it?<div>Thanks Rich </div>
I had three of these (I really like the plane). The only gear issue I had was when a wheel came off in flight and my subsequent one wheel landing attempt was not my best work, I ripped out the gear block. The repair was simple, and the gear itself was undamaged. I fly from a grass field, and I have read accounts of others who have had issues with the landing gear. My take on that is that people need to learn to land. This is a very well behaved design; landings are a breeze.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

proteus_X3 03-19-2013 10:10 AM

RCVFR,<div>I fly off grass also and I'm pretty good at landing,I want to replace the stock landing gear to save some weight,I also plan to remove the pilot and most of the canopy floor too.Rich </div>

RCVFR 03-19-2013 11:12 AM

Go for it! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

lopflyers 03-19-2013 11:25 AM

Smooth landings, I fly her on grass too and never had a LG problem<div>
</div>

petevans 03-19-2013 11:47 AM

proteus, I recently ordered a <span lang="EN">Grap160 - <span lang="EN">#160 Lanier RC Edge 540 1.20 ARF Main <span lang="EN">Landing Gear</span></span></span><span lang="EN"><span lang="EN"><span lang="EN"> from Graphtech and installed it on my YAK - fits perfect and looks good, too. I believe it was $49.95 plus shipping. Here'sa link to their website: <u><font color="#0000ff" size="2"><font color="#0000ff" size="2"><span lang="EN">http://www.graphtechrcshop.com</span></font></font></u><font size="2">.</font></span></span></span>

proteus_X3 03-19-2013 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: petevans

proteus, I recently ordered a <span lang="EN">Grap160 - <span lang="EN">#160 Lanier RC Edge 540 1.20 ARF Main <span lang="EN">Landing Gear</span></span></span><span lang="EN"><span lang="EN"><span lang="EN"> from Graphtech and installed it on my YAK - fits perfect and looks good, too. I believe it was $49.95 plus shipping. Here'sa link to their website: <u><font color="#0000ff" size="2"><font color="#0000ff" size="2"><span lang="EN">http://www.graphtechrcshop.com</span></font></font></u><font size="2">.</font></span></span></span>
petevans,
Thanks for the tip,I'll check it out. cheers: Rich
<br type="_moz" />

proteus_X3 03-19-2013 01:21 PM

Okay I just order a landing gear from Brian at Graphictechrc,niceindividual very helpful and knowledgeable. Maybe this will help the next person who is looking for a replacement landing gear for their Seagull Yak-54,here isa short list of carbon fibber replacement gears.<div></div><div>
  1. <em style="color: rgb(80, 80, 80); font-family: Verdana; font-size: 11px;"><span lang="EN"><span lang="EN">#160 LanierRCEdge 540 1.20 ARF Main<span lang="EN">Landing Gear specs-</span></span></span>[/i]
<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; text-align: justify;"> Base 5-1/4"</span><p style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; text-align: justify;"> Total Height 6-5/8" gear is 1.350" shorter than the Funtanna .90/x100</p><p style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; text-align: justify;"> Total Spread 16-7/8"</p><p style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; text-align: justify;"> Weighs 5.1oz</p><p style="text-align: justify;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 17px;"> 2. # 128 Funtanna 90 and #1203 Funtanna X100 different p/n numbers, exactlyidenticallanding gears specs-</span></font></p><p style="text-align: justify;"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif"><span style="line-height: 17px;"> </span></font><span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; line-height: 17px;">Base 5-1/2"</span></p><p style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; text-align: justify;"> Total Height 7-1/2"</p><p style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; text-align: justify;"> Total Spread 18-1/2" Spread is 1.125" wider than Lainer Edge 540</p><p style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; text-align: justify;"> Weighs 5.2oz.</p><p style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; line-height: 17px; text-align: justify;">Both gears will work on The Seagull Yak-54 and both gears are weight rated for aircraft up to 11lbs, I ordered the Funtanna gear because I wanted the extra ground clearance. Cheers:</p></div>

badazzgti03 05-07-2013 05:40 AM

Hey everyone had an accident with my Yak over the weekend....The wing kept changing direction on me as i was trying to land. After about 5 attempts to try and avoid crosswind and tailwing from trying to land right to left then left to right...the yak ran outta gas and dead sticked. and where i fly at is a paved runway and it dead sticked at altitude over the middle of the runway and at the end of the runway is a 45 degree downward hill and over shot the runway and tip stalled at the bottom of the hill. This plane is fragile! it was not a bad impact but it did to considerable amount of damage which is not worth repairing. But anyways if anyone is interested I do have a bunch of spare parts ill be willing to sell off for a good price. I have a set of landing gear with wheel pants and wheels are still in good condition. and NIB set of wings and wing tube with wing bolts. Cockpit hatch. Zenoah G20ei with RCExcel ignition and pitts muffler. as will as NIB engine cowl. let me know it anyone is interested. [email protected].

lopflyers 05-07-2013 08:55 AM

Ill take the wings if the Price is right. Are they the yellow And black?

badazzgti03 05-07-2013 09:02 AM

Yes it the yellow and black scheme comes with wing bolts and wing tube
here is my ad on RCG
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1887579

flyboy75 05-26-2013 01:39 PM

MY SEAGULL YAK54 120 FEEDBACK... It has become one of my favorite planes.

I had to buy one of these Seagull yak54's. It is a lot of plane for the price. It looks fantastic and flys sweet. I get all sorts of compliments. I previously owned a seagull extra 75. DON'T BUY IT. I crashed it three times. The third ended its life in a death spiral. The ELEVATOR is WAY too small. Like off a 30 size trainer. No good. Has a high tendency to stall a wing.

Anyway my Yak is flying sweet. It rocks at 8.4 lbs with an OS120 AX (which is 20cc meth). It loves 3D. It floats at idle, no joke. Lands like a trainer. CG is at 5-3/8 back from leading edge. Basically at the wing tube. My plane didn't like it less than that. It would porpus. I read a previous thread on this plane and the thing that is true about this plane is... if you build a brick, it will fly like one. I can't imagine flying this thing at over 9 lbs. The wing loading would be too high for aggressive aerobatcis. Now, how did I get a dry weight of 8.4 ?

1. cut out the stupid pilot
2. replace the heavy landing gear with a carbon fiber one.
3. cut out "some" of the unnecessary plywood in the inside.
4 located a mini throttle servo under the engine mount.
5 converted both the elevators to one servo "high torque" mounted in the tail.
6. relocated a "high torque" rudder servo into the tail in the location of the old 2nd elevator servo I removed.
7. Us a lipo 6v servo batt.
8. Added a pitts muff
9 Drilled a bunch of .250 holes in the outer (or last) 4 inch of the wing tube ends. It works fine, 90% of the bending moment is at the fuselage.
Done !!!!

RotaryNut 08-03-2014 10:04 AM

Greetings,
I was looking for a plane for my Zenoah G20 ei, and it seems like the Seagull Yak54 would be a good fit.
Those who actually installed this engine, did you make/buy an engine mount or screwed it directly to the firewall?
Details, pictures are much appreciated.
Thanks

HondaJet10 08-22-2016 12:35 PM

Hi Gentlemen,

reading through the thread I am seeing engines too big and too small etc... I am wanting to run a DLE or maybe and Evolution but cant decide on the CC's. Any input would be appreciated about how many CC engine to use. Definitely not interested in running nitro... I have ran both evolution and DLE and both are really good engines, especially with how far evolution has come the past couple years. Anyhow, looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

aaroncmh 02-23-2017 06:39 AM

Just ordered mine...gonna use a DLE 20 that recently became available. :)

OliverJacob 02-23-2017 09:40 AM

I have a 20cc Aerovate in mine and I am still in the process of breaking it in. I added a pitts muffler and a Bowman ring and it is a very good combination.

aaroncmh 02-23-2017 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by OliverJacob (Post 12309285)
I have a 20cc Aerovate in mine and I am still in the process of breaking it in. I added a pitts muffler and a Bowman ring and it is a very good combination.

Awesome man please report back after your maiden or with any other info.

I picked up a 3DHS Slick 580 79 but decided I need to practice on something cheaper. Plus the Yak looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the reply,
Aaron

aaroncmh 02-23-2017 11:32 AM

Is anyone else still flying their Yak?

OliverJacob 02-23-2017 11:58 AM

I did fly mine already. The engine does not have it's full power yet, but it pulls the plane nicely.
And I dialed in a lot of expo on all control surfaces, it has a wide speed range and is a lot of fun to fly.

aaroncmh 02-23-2017 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by OliverJacob (Post 12309349)
I did fly mine already. The engine does not have it's full power yet, but it pulls the plane nicely.
And I dialed in a lot of expo on all control surfaces, it has a wide speed range and is a lot of fun to fly.

Gotcha man glad to hear you like the setup...I'm stoked might get her up next weekend depending on when she arrives.

Post some pics if you feel like it.

NCRC 02-23-2017 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going to maiden my Yak tomorrow.
Wish me luck.