RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Sig Rascal 110 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/5073336-sig-rascal-110-a.html)

Temple 12-04-2006 08:27 AM

Sig Rascal 110

Well, I've read the existing posts on the 110, but have a few questions for the folks here that have one of these beauties. Tower says that the Rascal 40 has a semi-symetrical wing, but the 110 has a flat bottom wing. Is there a ton of adverse yaw on the 110? I'm not looking for a precision aerobat, but also don't want something that has to be manhandled through a turn and some lazy rolls and large loops etc. Also am planning on using a Saito 180, which looks to be a good match for the plane. Lastly, I will be flying from a grass strip(not rc strip) that is pretty well maintained, and I have been flying a Hobbico 60 Mk III with 4" wheels and a H9 Stick 60 with 4" wheels with no problems, but wonder if I might be able to leave the wheel pants on a 110 and still be OK.
Thanks!

tetherite 12-04-2006 12:00 PM

RE: Sig Rascal 110

From the folks I fly with that have the 110, say the 180 is on the high edge of the engine scale. The idle on the 180 with a prop it likes can be fast than the landing speed for the Rascal. You have to force it to the ground to get down. And if there's a headwind, you have real chore and hope that one wing doesn't rise and get a crosswind effect. I seen some "hurt" that way. A 120 4 stroke is probably more than enough power for good flying qualities.
JMHO.
Ray

S. Christensen 12-04-2006 03:50 PM

Temple,
FWIW, we have several Rascal 110 models here at SIG that use larger engines - 2 with Saito 1.50's, 1 with an O.S. 1.60 twin and one with a Saito 1.80. I'm happy to report that all of these models have literally hundreds of flights on them, all with no issues what-so-ever. These models land perfectly, take off perfectly and do serious pilot stuff inbetween. We also fly from a grass field and all of our models use the wheel pants - the ORIGINAL wheel pants. I wouldn't even think of flying without wheel pants - those are part of the "look" for goshsales! The Rascal 110 is about as much fun as you can have with a model of this size. It will do most anythng and does it with style. Folks who complain that they can't get this airplane to land because their engine has too high of an idle, probably need to learn how to properly adjust the carburetor or use the correct fuel or replace the glow plug. Have fun.......
Scott Christensen
SIG Mfg. Co., Inc.

Temple 12-04-2006 04:02 PM

Thanks Ray and Scott--
I really like the lines of the 110 and look forward to having a plane of it's size and nice graceful manners. I've got a Saito 120 in a Tiger 120 that might be a good one for the Rascal, but who knows maybe it's time for a smaller twin???? Anyway, thanks very much for the replys and information.

Bill Rademacher 12-04-2006 04:08 PM

I am flying the Rascal with a Zenoah G-23, pitts muffler, and it is a perfect combination. I may go to a G-38, for glider towing, etc. I don't have any rudder mixed in with aileron, as I just don't need it.

The only mod I would suggest is to repace the strut bolts with larger ones, as it is just too easy to strip the blind nuts.

If it is hard to land in some wind, add some weight. I have had Senior Telemasters, which floated, and could be tough in a crosswind to get down.

This plane is much much better.

my 2 cents

Billrad

khodges 12-04-2006 05:38 PM

I have the 40 size, love it, and got to fly a friend's 110 at a fly-in. He has a G-26 in it, with a 16-8 APC. I can't imagine a G-38 in the thing, for towing or whatever; it would hover (vertical) with the G-26, and accelerate straight up from the hover. I thought it was easier to fly than my 40 size, but its handling characteristics were almost identical, except its power-to-weight was better than my 40. I'd love to have one, but the end of my "I want one of these" list is about a mile away:)

Temple 12-04-2006 06:23 PM

Follow up question about the 110 and perhaps an OS 160 twin----And hopefully Scott will see this and chime in. Is the cowl on the 110 narrow enough for the cylinders on a 160 to be exposed a bit for the "scale look"?? And will the exhaust stacks standard on the OS be long enough to exit the cowl on the bottom? And lastly, what do I need to do about pressure to the fuel tank---looks like there is no nipple on the exhaust stacks on the 160.? Also what about a Saito twin instead? They seem to be about the same price, and the thought of having only one carb to mess with seems like an advantage, but not sure. Havn't convinced myself to go this route, but seems pretty cool to get into the twin cylinder game at this point.
Anybody notice a really good promotion going on right now on either one of these engines??
Thanks

4unlimited 10-06-2007 03:32 PM

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=6#post8309716

Big Oakden 08-12-2008 03:06 PM

OK Guys (Especially Scott at Sig)
My Grand daughter has been pestering me to learn to fly....
I have my original Tlemaster 40 with an OS60FP on it, but I want something a LOT Larger for her to see when she flys.
SOmething that looks like no other aircraft out there, and is very unmistakable.

Thus, here's my question:

Do you think that the 110 would make a good trainer?
I have a CRRCPro-26cc motor that I want to put into this thing.
I wanted this plane because there is not much out there that I can stuff this motor into as a top wing aircraft.

I have had reports locally that the Rascal is not a very freindly aircraft, and that it took a lot of work just to get it to fly right.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Any Help at this point would be welcome before I drop the $$ to order one of these.

Thanks,

Dave (and Emma)

turboratt 08-17-2008 09:27 PM

the 110 is a very sweet plane to fly and yes it can be a trainer my son is flying one for serveral years now .he is now 7 with a os 91 in it i did have to add alot of lead to the nose but didnt hurt the flight of the plane i have allso flown one with a saito 180 in it and it was just as easy to fly just more 3d

WILDCATONE 08-19-2008 10:58 PM

just did a search on the rascal in the member video section and found this video

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Erics-Rascal-mov

looks like the plane flies pretty good to me

sarg96 08-24-2008 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Big Oakden

OK Guys (Especially Scott at Sig)
My Grand daughter has been pestering me to learn to fly....
I have my original Tlemaster 40 with an OS60FP on it, but I want something a LOT Larger for her to see when she flys.
SOmething that looks like no other aircraft out there, and is very unmistakable.

Thus, here's my question:

Do you think that the 110 would make a good trainer?
I have a CRRCPro-26cc motor that I want to put into this thing.
I wanted this plane because there is not much out there that I can stuff this motor into as a top wing aircraft.

I have had reports locally that the Rascal is not a very freindly aircraft, and that it took a lot of work just to get it to fly right.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Any Help at this point would be welcome before I drop the $$ to order one of these.

Thanks,

Dave (and Emma)
Don't know who gave you that report but from my experience with the 110 they are completely wrong. I have ahd 3 of these planes, one with a Saito 15o, a Saito 180 and the last with a Saito 100 which in my opinion was the best match of them all. THE RASCAL 110 IS A GREAT FLYING AIRPLANE WITH NO BAD HABITS.

sarg96

Zippi 09-06-2008 04:24 PM

WILDCATONE,

What happened to the video??? Where is the cheapest place to get one? Tower wants $65.00 to ship one.

pittsman 09-15-2008 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Zippi
check with Tina @ Flying Z Hobbies in Robards, KY.
a couple of my flying buds ordered 3 while we were there
at the Henderson Flyin this past weekend. here are a couple of
shots of the one i was flying at their fly-in. hope you enjoy your
Rascal 110 as much as we have here in Bowling Green, KY.
thanks
Eric

Zippi 09-15-2008 08:40 PM

pittsman,

I ordered my Sig Rascal 110 (Blue & White) today from ABC Hobby Craft here in town. $375.00 out the door. Tina wanted $399.00 plus tax.

lrglnman 09-15-2008 09:14 PM

How do you think a Zenoah g20 will fly his plane? Also will the stock muffler be hidden in the cowl? or do I need to get a pitts muffler?

pittsman 09-15-2008 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
James,
We have 9 or 10 Sig Rascal 110s here in Bowling Green, KY. 3 of them are powered with Zenoah G26's(electronic ignition), 1 with a Zenoah G23, 1 with a Saito 180, 1 almost complete on Electric, 1 with a Evolution 26, and 3 others that are not completed yet. As far as powering it with the Zenoah G20, i think you will be satisfied. If you do not have any noise restrictions at your club, i highly recommend the B & B specialties header stack. Below is a photo of my Rascal exhaust. If the stock muffler is anything like the one that came with my G26EI, the cowling will have to be cut up pretty good. This stack was the only one we could find that did not look too bad.
Hope the info was some help to you!

thanks
Eric

lrglnman 09-16-2008 06:16 AM

Eric, That is the shot i need of the cowl. I was wanting to use a pitts style muffler but that looks good. I watched a video up in post # 9 and was suprised buy the way he flew the plane. Now my wow factor is thru the roof. We don't have a noise rule but I think it best not to stir the pot if I don't have to. Of the 2 colors of planes which one shows up the best in the air? I am leaning toward the blue one. I am planning to be in Bowling Green sometime in the next few months for a seminar. I would like to come fly and check your field out. Greg Garrison with GandL Hobbies tells me you all have a super field. I stopped in the last time I was thru there and talked with the owner of Dad's Toys.

Zippi 09-16-2008 06:20 AM

pittsman,

I talked with Eric and a few other guys there this past weekend at the Henderson KY fly-in about the Sig Rascal and you are correct that the B&B Specialties exhaust diverter is about the best I've seen and that's what will be going on mine. Here is a video I shot of the Rascal at work.

http://media.putfile.com/Sig-Rascal-...rson-KY-Fly-in

Zippi 09-19-2008 07:04 PM

Just picked up my Sig Rascal 110 from the LHS today. I got lucky this time and everything looks ok as far as damage. I'm going to have to get some 1/8" pin striping tape to give the Rascal a little classy look. Far you guys that have already done this, did you use automotive pin striping tape?

pittsman 09-19-2008 08:53 PM

Zippi,
as far as the pinstriping that border the red/orange on our Rascal 110's, yes it is automotive pinstripe. I hope you have time to get yours ready for the Evansville fly-in coming up in a few weeks. we plan on having 3-5 Rascals there, as long as we all can make the trip. Also i hope some of you guys could make it to our WARBIRD ALLEY fly-in on Saturday October 18th. we will be flying warbirds on
Saturday and pretty much anything on Sunday(open flying for all AMA members).
check our website www.skymacrc.com for more info and directions to the field.

Thanks
Eric

Zippi 09-20-2008 07:20 AM

pittsman,

Thanks for the info on the pinstriping. Looks like Ralph C. is holding me up on my G26. He is getting parts in to get one together but I may get the engine to late to have my Rascal finished for that weekend. I will be out of town on that Saturday but I will be there on Sunday.

pittsman 09-21-2008 01:09 AM

Zippi
We just started 2 more Rascal 110's in the shop tonight, 1 red/orange and 1 blue. One of them is to replace the one lost at Henderson, KY last weekend. The other one belongs to the other Rascal owner that was there flying with us.

James,
when you get a chance to come to KY, send me a email or get in contact with me and let me know you are heading this way and we can get some Rascal time at the field while you are in town.

Looks like Bowling Green has become Rascal Central..........

thanks guys
Eric

freeair 09-21-2008 02:46 AM

ORIGINAL: S. Christensen

Temple,
FWIW, we have several Rascal 110 models here at SIG that use larger engines - 2 with Saito 1.50's, 1 with an O.S. 1.60 twin and one with a Saito 1.80. I'm happy to report that all of these models have literally hundreds of flights on them, all with no issues what-so-ever. These models land perfectly, take off perfectly and do serious pilot stuff inbetween. We also fly from a grass field and all of our models use the wheel pants - the ORIGINAL wheel pants. I wouldn't even think of flying without wheel pants - those are part of the "look" for goshsales! The Rascal 110 is about as much fun as you can have with a model of this size. It will do most anythng and does it with style. Folks who complain that they can't get this airplane to land because their engine has too high of an idle, probably need to learn how to properly adjust the carburetor or use the correct fuel or replace the glow plug. Have fun.......
Scott Christensen
SIG Mfg. Co., Inc.
it would be nice if good old SIG Manufacturing could use a little more glue of the correct type when it comes to the Rascal 110, a friend has just set this model up and within 3 flights he noticed the main engine mount builkhead was loose , close inspection reveiled the engine bulkhead had seperated [ thanks to glueing ] from the 1/4 x 1/4 inch longeron fuse pieces that surround this bulkhead. not sure of the glue used but there wasn,t much and it certainly didn,t do its job, big plane big engine small glue job, no no.

Zippi 09-21-2008 07:25 AM

Eric,

So do all Rascal's migrate to Bowling Green KY for the winter :).

freeair,

I hear ya man. The way I look at it is all ARF's are lacking in glue or the quality of glue used so I always epoxy the firewall, gear mount, and any other main area's I can get to. I used a long 3/16" bamboo shish-kabob stick I got from the better half and put the Rascal on it's nose and ran the stick all the way through the fuse to the firewall and applied the epoxy.