RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/5146108-cmp-cessna-182-building-thread-best-scale-cessna-1-20-size-arf-market.html)

herm 12-30-2006 05:43 PM

RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

There is an update on the kit to improve the elevator and rudder rigidity.. two pieces of plywood were added to take the play out of the linkages, plus an addendum sheet to the instructions... I did replace the hinges with Robarts in mine, I dont think the original hinges would have caused any provlems.

Matto 12-30-2006 06:38 PM

RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Hi guys,

After building one of these beauty's about two months ago, i discovered that the hinge on the rudder is far to flexible and instead of pushing the rudder left and right, all it does is the hinge flexes and the rudder strugles to work. I had the new part sent to me from China and after installing that it helped a little bit but was still very average. I finally finished my model a month ago but was still concerned about the rudder,i got the courage up to take it on its maiden flight about 4 weeks ago. Lets just say im now on my second cessna and carefully listening to others who are in the process of building this great model,i also had trouble with the moulded piece that covers all the hinges on the bottom of the fuse,it didnt fit due to that rudder hinge that kept hitting so i left it off not a good idea and certainly a major factor in my maiden flight going so horribly wrong.

Cheers Matto

Old Dutch 12-30-2006 06:40 PM

Ah yes, and then add in the cost of a fuel tank ( you wouldn't really use the included), some connectors, perhaps wheels, and then there is the need for a proper nose gear (think Sierra), and what about the landing gear legs themselves? One cannot attest to the "great value" until it has not only been succesfully built, but .........the flying. Not the maiden, but how does what hold up after a good portion of the flying season. So, you will be adding in approx. $ 100- $ 125 USD to the kit cost to come up with the final. Think not???.....well I hope it flys as good as it looks for you...and for more than a short while.....Cheers!

herm 12-30-2006 08:04 PM

Cheers, it is even more expensive for me.. since mine will be electric I have no use for the gas tank and fancy shock absorved engine mount.. I also plan to change the wheels since I fly from grass.. I would say this arf ( in the States) is a great bargain, very high quality.. excellent hardware. I probably will also change some of the pushrods to 4-40 size to prevent some complaints at the field from old-fuddy-duddies. May also reinforce the firewall where the nose gear attaches.

Batteries, motor and radio will cost more than the plane.. and that is amazing!.. a similar topflite kit would take probably 100 hours to build/cover, at least most of the hardware would be usable.
Of course it would take several rolls of monokote..

Herm

georgee 12-31-2006 05:48 PM

Hi Folks,

Happy New Year for everyone of us!

Georgee

Quax4412 01-01-2007 06:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi pilots, hi tmw09,

I think you are talking about me. I`ve written that I the rudder connection of the rudder and the elevator to the servos is to weak. And I still think so! I`ve made some things to stabilize the function but I think I won`t do a maiden flight with this beauty because these changes did not make the expected success! Look at the pictures: I glued in two wooden stabilizers: one close to the rudder and another one in the middel of the fuselage.

Therefore I`ll do these changes:

- Connection of rudder servo and rudder with a cable-wire to both sides of the rudder.
- Move the elvator servo to the tail of the plane, one servo for each elevator-rudder.
- in addition to that I`ll move the throttle servo towards the engine

With these changes I`ll loose the "scale-look" of the aircraft`s tail but this will make flying safe! And I`ll have enough space to create a real cockpit look!

Look at my nose wheel. I ordered one at www.ezfw.de - wonderful work!

I wish you much success in building that beauty and many happy landings!

Quax4412[8D]

Old Dutch 01-01-2007 07:48 AM

Quax......I would consider going to carbon fibre push rods before I'd move the servos. I'd also use Sullivan golden clevis instead of those plastic ones. Apparently the "snakes" that came with the kit are not up to the task. (Yah, I know, I keep reading that the hardware is just fantastic in this kit)

As for the nose gear wire. While it looks strong, and I'm sure that it is, please know that it will bend easily upon landing on anything but a smooth hard surface. And even then, the nose takes a beating. This is true of the full size as well as the model. Believe me, I have been there many times. This model really needs a nose gear strut such as made by Sierra. Yes, it is expensive. But it will save you several times its cost. When the nose gear takes a wallop is when you are cross wind landing, and hang onto the rudder too long. This puts the wheel at an angle and strikes ground with a lot of force with the wheel unable to roll out straight ahead. The force causes the wire to bend. It's strange that one's hand cannot readily bend the wire, but the model has absolutely no problem in doing so on even a not so bad of a landing! I know that you don't believe me now.....but you will after you have a few flights on it.

Right now the push rods are your main concern, and if carbon fibre is not in the picture, I highly recommend the proper selection of one of Sullivans pushrods. I have successfully used these in my Top Flite Cessna with no problems whatever.

It looks like you are an experienced builder and I hope that you will continue to feed us your comments....and great photos!

herm 01-01-2007 08:40 AM

my arf came with dave brown style carbon fiber pushrods (probably black fiberglass, dont know), no snakes at all.. gotta get my camera ready so I can post a picture.. so apparently they are trying to improve the kit. Will have to inspect that hardware and make sure it is up to par. Sheez it is only a trainer with regular servos.

Dont really like all that weight back there, electric will be hard enough to balance since the motor only weighs 8oz. The more I think about it, I may as well upgrade to the robart nose gear (or sierra), I will need the nose weight for sure.. dont really want to have to install the lipos (10s dewalt A123 cells, 25oz) in the cowling, along with the motor/esc.

Quax4412 01-01-2007 11:29 AM

Hi Old Dutch,

thanks for your information but I think the play is not only due to the pushrods, because they are carbon made! The hinges of the rudders are made of very thin metal-wires which should be glued in the balsa-rudders. The hinge of the steering-rudder is about approx. 5 cm long -without any stabilization in the fuse /therefore I glued one in / pic. no. 3) But in fact it is an "indirect" connection. I think it`s o.k. in a 60,-- EUR ARF that has a weight of approx. 1,5 - 2,0 kg but not in an aircraft with the weight of 5,0 to 6,5 kg!

Believe if if that plane woult be a 60,-- EUR ARF, I would already have taken off! But it is to beautiful to crash it AND: in Germany the price is about EUR 390,--[&o] I`ve ordered mine in Austria, therefore I saved about EUR 100,-- :D

So you`ve built TF`s Skylane?! I think this kit is the real "Queen" of all 182`s! But it`s a hard work - once I`ve downloaded the manual... Congratulations to you for doing this work. But therefore you fly the original - mine is just a copy ;)

Old Dutch 01-01-2007 11:54 AM

I guess that I have misinterpreted the problem regarding the hinging of the rudder. I used brass, pinned hinges. Oh yes, building the TF kit was a lot of work. I can' tell you how many hours it took, but it was something that kept me from noticing that it was winter out there! It took me about 8 hrs. just to go through the procedures involving with sanding, filling, sanding, sanding, etc. prior to covering. All the while taking a lot of flak from the wife. You see, I was doing this in my shop, aka bedroom! At the end of this project I agreed to no more building. ARF models are cheaper ( they tell me that a divorce would be more expensive than an entire house full of ARF models!)

You mentioned detailing the cabin. That is a must. I laid in a light ply floor in 3 sections. The mid section had a pilot (must have a pilot) fastened to it. Fore and aft pieces were glued but the center one was screwed into tri stock that I installed along the sides. The pilot became my "handle" with which to pull up this section. Servos were just below. The floor covered the entire area and I painted it med/dark gray. It really worked out well. The molded cabin that TF has is extremely fragile and other builders warned me that I really didn't have the necessary patience to paint it and install it. With the wing in place you really can't see much of the interior anyway. But the floor & pilot looks very nice.

Best of the New Year to all!

Kmot 01-01-2007 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: herm

There is an update on the kit to improve the elevator and rudder rigidity.. two pieces of plywood were added to take the play out of the linkages, plus an addendum sheet to the instructions... I did replace the hinges with Robarts in mine, I dont think the original hinges would have caused any provlems.
Where did you get this info from? I purchased my kit from AK-Models in October. Are they supposed to send me the update parts and addendum sheet?

Quax4412 01-01-2007 02:16 PM

Yes Old Dutch, you`re right! Planes of that size must have a cockpit and pilots inside! That`s the only reason why I´m not unhappy to move the elevator servo to the tail:DI`ll use plywood and styro to create the cabin! My "pilot" is a puppet that I bought very cheap at toys`r`us!:)
It`s sad that no stickers of instruments were provided in the kit but I´ve already copied out the 182-panel of flight sim.

Three years ago I`ve built Aviomodelli`s Piper Arrow. The fuse was also made of balsa and plywood - al lot of work. But no comparison with TF kits. My absolute favorite is TF`s Stinson Reliant. Only advantage of the Piper Arrow was that the wings of this kit are nearly ARF-like made of styro with a white gelcoat!

Tomorrow I`m going to fix the throttle servo of the skylane in front, close to the engine. I`ve seen that a standard Graupner 507 fits very well - Thats great!

Quax4412 01-02-2007 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi pilots,

some pics of today`s work! I`ve fixed the wodden servo box of the throttle servo close to the engine. It fits perfectly with the Saito S 150 GK! I`ve attached pictures of the unpainted box & servo. I would suggest to do that to everyone of you because you`ll have a direct connection. I think it`s also possible to use a smaller serco like the C 261 but when moving the elevator servo to the tail some weight in front won`t be a mistake!

Next step is improving the rudder connection... But first I`ve to go to the builders shop and look out for some hardware...

OldDutch: Pics 3 & 4 show the "lucky guy" who`ll take a seat when the plane is ready!

Have fun when building this beauty![8D]

Old Dutch 01-02-2007 12:51 PM

Nice work. Ah yes.....that is one cool dude sitting there in the office! I know that it will be awhile, but I just can't wait to hear what you have to say after you fly it. That engine will pull this thing to the MOON. I do hope that you don't tear the wings off! By the way, one of the reasons that your pilot looks so darn good is that he is not looking straight ahead. As a former full size pilot I can tell you that a pilot is not looking straight ahead very much. One's head is on a swivel. It's quite boring to see pilot mfrs. all having the heads facing straight ahead. Someone here mentioned that they bent the pilots head to look down (straight ahead) as if he was taxiing the plane. Let me suggest that this never happens! When that airplane is moving you do not want to be out of touch as to your surroundings. So........congrats!

Kmot 01-02-2007 05:11 PM

Quax: That servo mount is brilliant! Thanks for posting the idea!

drdenny 01-03-2007 12:46 AM

Kmot:
Have you started your build on this plane? I really enjoyed your photos of your 4*60, and was hoping you could post some pic's of the Cessna. I'm thinking of ordering this plane and having more insight on this Cessna might convince me. Also, do you guys think that an OS 120 Surpass would have enough to fly this Cessna well?
Thanks,
drdenny

Kmot 01-03-2007 12:23 PM

drdenny: No, I have not started yet. But be assured, I am a picture posting fool so when the time comes you will be smothered in pictures!! :)

I imagine the OS 120 would be enough to fly the plane in a scale manner. I prefer flying on the wing myself anyway. I don't much care for the 3D style of hanging on the prop. :eek:

drdenny 01-03-2007 12:28 PM

Thanks Kmot. It's good to hear from you again. I have to agree with you about "flyin on the wing". There are times that I feel you have the most control of the plane in this manner.
BTW -Did you finish the 4*?

Kmot 01-03-2007 07:29 PM

>>BTW -Did you finish the 4*?

Nope, I have too many projects that I am working on. My goal is to finish it by the one year anniversary of starting it. Which is February.

PS: I don't wanna hijack this thread, so let's get back on topic about the CMP Cessna 182 '140 Size'. :)

drdenny 01-03-2007 11:13 PM

tmw09:
Did you get a chance to start the Cessna build? Really looking forward to your build. Aslo, do any of you guys know where I can get one of these planes?I've checked Nitro and AK, and nothing.
Thanks.

Newalan 01-04-2007 08:52 AM

Hi,

I have had my eyes on the CMPpro Cessna for a while, I will be watching this thread with interest to see if they (CMPpro) have got the basics right?

They produce some fantastic kits, but unfortunately they almost always let people down with incorrect CG information, inferior hardware and wing incidence. I will certainly buy one once I know that they have got it right.

Alan

Quax4412 01-04-2007 01:30 PM

Hi pilots,

today I`ve finished the servo mount of the throttle servo. It´s working quite well! Now I started to improve the rudder linkage. Hope I can post the new version until next week. But it`s a simple pull-to-pull linkage... Loose the "scale-look" of the plane`s tail but once when finished there will be no play in the rudder :D

I´d rather like to know if anyone of you guys had already successfully flown this aircraft with the original hardware that is provided in the kit??? Any experiences???

drdenny: I think the O.S. 120 would do, too. Do you think of buying this engine with fuel pump? First I also wanted to bay the O.S. 120 but than Ì`ve seen that the Saito is available for the same price!

Quax [8D]

drdenny 01-04-2007 11:37 PM

Quax4412:
Well, to be honest, I was looking at both the pumped and the regular FSII Surpass. I did not know thta the Saito and the OS were the same price. Surely this is something to think about. I have three OS 4S, and two Saito 4S , and feel that they run equally the same, although the Saito is lighter which could be an advantage. Thanks for the info!

slopetrashuk 01-05-2007 04:05 PM

I've sorted an ASP/SC (same motor) 1.60 twin four stroke for the UK kit review...
:-)

Kmot 01-05-2007 04:54 PM

Sweet!! [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

What magazine? I must purchase a copy of the review!! :D

http://www.fototime.com/EC33DACE0A16873/standard.jpg