RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread-->the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/5146108-cmp-cessna-182-building-thread-best-scale-cessna-1-20-size-arf-market.html)

PilotPete01 04-18-2011 04:27 PM

RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread>the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

Cliif at RC Aerodyne has them. I am picking up the cessna and floats this week from him and will be doing an electric conversion. You will have to call them up ad talk to Cliff though, they aren't posted on the website...

www.scaleflying.com

PilotPete01 04-19-2011 08:40 PM

RE: CMP Cessna 182 Building Thread>the best scale Cessna 1.20 size ARF that is on the market!!!

I picked up my Cessna from RC Aerodyne (www.scaleflying.com) today. I am doing an electric conversion and putting it on floats. I also have a light kit for it and the Top Flite scale cockpit. The plan is to have it done in the next week or so....Trying to get it to a giant scale fly-in at the end of the month!

tenspeed59 05-01-2011 06:44 AM

Hello Folks,

Looks like it has been a few daystime since anyone has posted to this thread......So I suppose I had best introduce myself......I am Mark and I am addicted to RC.......sighhhhh!!!!!!

HAHAHA

Anyways.....I just got this CMP Cessna 83" model from a fellow RC pilot who I wont name lest the wife shoots both of us....http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/72_72.gif

Anyone have some idea of where I can find any of the factory included literature such as manuals and instructions for this beauty either online or from some place with adresses please?

I would love to find some lights for this bird and I will definitely swap out the nose gear for the Robarts strut as recommended also.
How did the interior kit from the Top Flight Cessna fit that Iread some people had gotten for this plane to try, as I also plan on suggesting to "She Who Must Be Obeyed" for Fathers Day that a set of authentic looking Pilot and Passenger of the two of us would look ever so great in this beautiful plane (hint hint), if I can find someone to make them at a reasonable cost to fit the size of this cockpit?
Pictures forthcoming soon also!

Any and all ideas, suggestions and assistance finding info and such would most definitely be gratefully accepted!!!!
Thanks for everything,
Mark

nicolau 05-01-2011 09:35 AM

Hi, Tenspeed 59.
Yes, the topflight interior fits.(for lights, why dont you make them?),I use LED LIGHTs from Radio shack. use two bright white for headlights one red blink for the top rudder (as per scale) one red blink on the belly, one green and one red For the wing tips, get the ones that run on 3 volts. 2 AAA 1.5 batteries should last you a long time. That is what i did. so far my batteries are as good as new and they have been used for about 6 month.
I have a set of instructions that I can E- Mail you if you want . The ones that came with the planes.
You are doing it right by using a Robart front gear, do give some Racke to it, about 4 degrees forward. I purchace two Barby dolls Cheap at a Dollar store did some surgery and place them as pilot and passengers. They are not in the plane now, The kep falling from the seats.
Jose.

tenspeed59 05-01-2011 12:12 PM

Everyone,

As promised......PICTURES!!!!!!!!!......YESSSSSS!!!!! !

That was when I picked it up......now it is almost an empty shell of a fuselage w/ only servos and control rods and stiffeners left inside it basically....I have installed a MPI brand Heavy duty ON/OFF switch with an included charging jack and red/amber/green LED lights on the face of the switch to let you know the condition of the onboard flight battery at a glance. I plan on using a 6V 2000 mAh NiMh flight battery onboard and have yet to decide on a lighting system and what power needs it will take yet.
The robarts oleo style front nosegear is ordered and enroute as well as the TF interior kit for this bird.
I will be raking the front strut forward a few degrees when I install it and will double the light ply on the back of the firewall also to assist in strengthening it even more and also I plan on epoxying in some triangle shaped stiffeners wherever possible around the rest of the firewall as needed too.
The plan is to mount everything as far forward as possible including putting the flight and light batteries underneath the fuel tank area offset to one side to assist with CG location but also to help with lateral balance as well side to side.
Fortunately for me I own a micro-miniature bore scope camera that I was able to push up throught the middle of the vertical stabilizer and inspect that area inside there for problems and look at the glue joints on the inside of the hinges for the rudder and such all around inside the interior of the plane and everywhere inside the tail plane area of the fuselage.
No repairs needed in regards to those areas was encountered, but as a side benefit to using the camera to inspect these areas internally, I was able to determine the best routing for wiring and best installation point to drill the hole at the top of the vertical stabilizer for the top beacon light, and also for installation of the bottom belly beacon light at the rear tail light area of the fuselage.
Ihave found that the wing has already been very professionally epoxied into a one piece setup already as per everyones recommendations already, but I havent yet determined if the wing was cut apart at the flap/aileron joint area and strengthened yet, It does not appear that the covering has been disturbed to do this repair as has been outlined in earlier postings, but, there again is another use of the bore scope camera to inspect the interior of the wing as best i can when I get the chance to do so.
I will also install the recommended extra screws in the wing struts also along with someones epoxy work they did on the strut end at the wing.

Any other recommendations for this beautiful bird please do not hesitate to let me know what I am missing and have yet to do on it.
Thanks and enjoy the first pictures.
Mark

nicolau 05-01-2011 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, Tenspeed.
I'm trying to see how i can send you a cable diagram for your lights. Need your E-Mail.I have a micro switch that shots down the head lights when thrutle goes past 1/2. Very neat ,when you fly aroundheadlights are off, when you slowdown for landing your headlights turn on forlanding. This micro switch cost about $1.98 and is installed at the engine mount.See pictures, nottoo clear but you can seemicro switch and trhoutlearengement.
I might haveposted picturesin the thread, (way back)
I believethe total expence for mylights was about$14.00. I used the wires from an old printer cable, removed red and black,which I use red + black-.
Remove the clear lenz drilla 5mm hole where lights are painted. glue your LED there( run cables firstthroug that hole and insure that you LED fits the hole (doNOT use CA on LED) use whiteglue orepoxy. The LEDI porchaced were5mm diameter real bright. You can purchace LED holders then drill a 6.3mmhole insert your LED holder and glue Then push in your LED. for the head lamps used the cone part of a miniature flashligt.
Send me your E-Mail. Thanks
Jose

Citation01 06-27-2011 05:58 AM

Hello,

Wanted to start building my Cessna but opened the box and NO instructions. Would any one know the distance from firewall to back of spinner so I can look for an engine. Also, if any one has pics of gas engine installation, sure would be grateful.

Thank you,
John

armyguy466 06-27-2011 08:32 AM

the sad thing is my instructions didn't have that distance in them. I used a CRRC 26i in my 140 size skylane. i had to put the cowl on and stick a ruler in the spinner hole in the cowl and if i remember right it was 170mm to 177mm. i would upload a pic of my motor and stuff but i have no idea how to do it. the instructions aren't the best and some of the hardware is weak. so i change my elevator to dual servos in the tail and changed the rudder to pull pull set-up. and i changed the nose gear out to a robart 645 which works and looks great. i don't know if any other guys did this with the wing struts but i put some 30min expoxy in to the wing strut to thickin the walls of them.

In the end its up to you how you build it but i never build by what the instructions say and if i think it can be strengthed or made more fail safe then what it is from the factory i do. i've built alot of CMPros planes and one thing CMPro lacks is good instructions the planes look great but the manuals are not total junk but really not the best the measurements are off most of the time on all the planes manual they make. i build a 50size P-40 from CMPro and the manual had bits and pieces from the 140size

1UGLYPUG 06-28-2011 09:57 PM

I CHANGED OUT MY STRUTS TO ALUMINUM FARED TYPE. WORK PRETTY GOOD. I LIKE THE IDEA OF THE ELEVATOR SERVOS. SO FAR THE PLAN SET UP IS STILL WORKING.

Citation01 06-29-2011 04:13 AM

Hello,

I am just starting to get building my 140 size but still unclear on a few things. I know they are probably in this thread but it has gotten VERY long but has a mountain of information. As I said earlier, my plane was missing the instructions.

Some very good changes have been made by builders that interest me as doing to mine and very interested in a few pictures if some one could of a gas motor w/rear carb installed and tank placement and if installing an interior is possible with a rear carb gas engine as it will move the tank way back from original location. Also, I like the idea of hidden linkage, but I rather has POSITIVE PROVEN linkage and would appreciate if some one could attach a few pics of elevator and rudder set up's

Thank you,
John

tenspeed59 06-29-2011 06:13 AM

John,

If needed I will gladly forward you a file containing the manual for the plane.....send me an email with your address and it is yours....say the word

armyguy466 06-29-2011 06:21 AM

well my gass motor has a side mount carb. my tank i did push it back a inch but the mount and everything is still the same. I never could figure out how to upload pictures besides to my account profile on here but i'm going to upload more on my account so if you go to my photos you will see what i did. 

armyguy466 06-29-2011 06:39 AM

where did you get your struts from it would be nice to know just incase mine fail it will be nice to get a back up pair mine are stronger now that i epoxied the inside of them. my first pair cracked in 2 peices just from knocking them off the table. thats why i fill these with epoxy there heavier but stronger

nicolau 06-30-2011 03:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi John,
I have two cessnas 182 140. I did the first the way it is on the instructions, elevator, and rudder not to positive , made a change , is in the forum way back. still this was not what I wanted, I wanted a really positive and secure response on elevator and rudder, I found out that using pull/pull cables did provided what I wanted really no slop and a positive movement . Plus I was able to lighten up the plane. I also moved the servoes under the gas tank. Now I am working on the second one doing all this changes . Shed 1.5 pounds of weight and there is no more slop on elevator or rudder.

m1morrow 06-30-2011 06:24 PM

Hello,

I'm going to build one of these beasts. Can you gents help me out with the build. This is what I want out of it.

Scale like flight but with enough power to get me out of trouble. It does not need to fly straight up or do enormous loops.
Gas Engine (thinking about a DLE 20CC)
Floats (thinking about the Great Planes .60 Float kit)
Have Nav Lights, Landing lights, Beacon, and Strobes

Anyways what do i need to buy besides to modell to make it reliable? Also What Kind of servos am I going to need?

Also The seller of the ARFsays that this plane has modifications that CMPmade to correct flows when it first came out. Is this true of or will I still have to modify the wing/rudder pushrods ect.

Thanks guys. I'll post pics of the build when I start.

HUNTERANDJEFF 06-30-2011 07:11 PM

If you are going to put this plane on the water, the 60 sized floats are insufficient. The quarter scale floats would be better. Hangar 9's fiber glass floats are perfect for this plane - I have built them for a freind of mine. they are awesome and that is what I am going to put on my cessna. A 20cc engine will fly this thing but is not enough for the water. 26cc minimum for that and a 30cc would be better. This plane is heavy when finished, mine weighs over 15lbs and I tried to build it light.
If you put floats on your plane, you will be the first that I have heard of. Next year, I will have floats on mine unless I get the 1/4 scale cessna first LOL!
J

1UGLYPUG 06-30-2011 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to add some pics of the "rebuild" ,,, It has several good flights on it now too since the rebuild of the right horizontal stab. The E-flite power 160 has plenty of power, and I am cramming 10s battery packs in it too... I once flew in an ultralite weedhopper I put some floats on,,, lots of fun! I also had the floats on an advanced aviation VIP ultralight. That was really fun. I have some videos of that,, who needs float training??? I never had any training and never had a problem,, just a good seat of the pants flyer I guess,,, Went on to get my private pilots license after that, but can't pass my physical anymore, so I am back to flying my RC planes,,, Also lots of fun,,,

m1morrow 06-30-2011 09:10 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for the help. There is a guy on this thread a few pages back that has this cessna with a 26cc gas engine and the great planes .60 floats on it. From the video it looks like it flys nice. Check it out. Id like to put sea commander floats on it also. looks like the dle 30 is a good choice then for the plane. 3.5 horses is alot of power.

Any idea of the flight charecteristics vs the top flight cessna? My brother is getting it :-)

What mods did you do to the plane?

HUNTERANDJEFF 07-01-2011 08:33 AM

Every mod I could do to it LOL! No, really just put the servos in direct drive with the elevator and rudder, fults front landing gear, 24cc fujii engine, lights etc. I had a Thunder tiger 120 pro on it and it was a real powerhouse for this plane but couldn't get it to run right so I put the gasser in. The 120 was better though. Wish I had a 30cc in it now. Oh, well, I am not going to change it.
I follow this thread closely but failed to see the cessna on floats, which post is it?
Jeff

GhostWhisperz 07-01-2011 08:45 AM

Here is the post of the floats fitted to this Aircraft http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5146108/mpage_36/key_/tm.htm just scroll down the page to find it, it also has some great videos on his post along with some high res pics:
<span class="info"> </span>

m1morrow 07-01-2011 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: HUNTERANDJEFF

Every mod I could do to it LOL! No, really just put the servos in direct drive with the elevator and rudder, fults front landing gear, 24cc fujii engine, lights etc. I had a Thunder tiger 120 pro on it and it was a real powerhouse for this plane but couldn't get it to run right so I put the gasser in. The 120 was better though. Wish I had a 30cc in it now. Oh, well, I am not going to change it.
I follow this thread closely but failed to see the cessna on floats, which post is it?
Jeff

Here is the youtube video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCJbf6um28s

GhostWhisperz 07-01-2011 08:53 AM

Here is the post of the floats fitted to this Aircraft http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5146108/mpage_36/key_/tm.htm just scroll down the page to find it, it also has some great videos on his post along with some high res pics:
<span class="info"> </span>

ORIGINAL: HUNTERANDJEFF

Jeff

m1morrow 07-03-2011 07:42 PM

Guys,

Ok.  I officially have the plane on its way.  I was hoping some of you still fly the plane and are still having good luck with it.  The man who had the ARF is really cool and has a Robart Nose strut for it and a lighting system for the plane and a few other things he is going to send with it.

Does anyone have a e-mail or a phone number that can council me :-)  LoL.  I just don't want to crash this thing.

For power I'm thinking a DLE-30 or a Zenoah-26CC Gas or a Satio 125 or 150 4 stroke. 
I have seen a video with the thunder tiger 120 and I dont need that much power :-)  I just need it to fly safe and scale.  And I want it to sound good also.

I'm concerned about reliability and smoothness of the engine also.  All my other engines are OS and I'm concerned about buying an off brad power plant with more moving parts for a expensive model.

What Servos/ Batteries will I need.  I'm Normally a Futaba guy.

As far as Mods I plan on

Reinforcing the elevator and rudder internally.
Robart Nose gear with a 4 degree forward rake
Epoxying the entire wing together

This is the model in the all white box.....so maybe CMP has fixed some issues with the plane.  I'm also going to have questions about the CG and flap mixing.

The floats will go on after I fly is successfully a couple time on dry land.
<br type="_moz"/>

m1morrow 07-03-2011 07:48 PM

HUNTERANDJEFF

The CMP cessna looks cooler to than the hangar 9 and the top flite ones anyways :-)  if you have your cessna all sorted out maybe some custom sea-commander floats would make it look sick!!!!!!!!

Did you guys reinfoce your wings?  I have a feeling people just pulled to many g's or something .   Its easy to do.  :-)

HUNTERANDJEFF 07-04-2011 07:54 AM

I do have my cessna all figured out - I have been flying it for almost 3 years now. I didn't tear into the wings to check and see if they are weak or to beef them up and the plane is flying just fine. I would like the sea commander floats but am steering towards the hangar 9 floats. I put a pair of them together for a freind last year and they are very nice floats. The sea commander floats look great but require a lot more work to get them to look standoff scale. Time that I don't have right now.
J