RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/5238504-new-pacific-aeromodel-clip-wing-monocoupe.html)

jrf 01-09-2007 06:56 PM

New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

1 Attachment(s)
I stopped by Pacific Aeromodels today and look what I saw! It is 25% scale and weighs 14 pounds with a G26 in it. They say it flys like a sport pattern plane. They told me it will be at the AMA convention in Ontario this weekend.

Jim

Bearzilla 01-09-2007 08:44 PM

RE: New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

I like the color scheme and how they supplied decals! I wonder how it compares quality-wise with the Kangke/Supercraft 1/4 Monocoupe long-span version. With that short wing, I'm sure its a bit less "Trainer" and more "Intermediate Sport-Flyer" than the Kangke version.

I just checked their website and it hasn't been updated with the new model info yet. Would love to find out other details such as availability and price. Thanks for the heads-up!

Kmot 01-09-2007 11:11 PM

That is a really good looking airplane!

lownloud 01-09-2007 11:52 PM

I have the GeeBee Y and they make good stuff. that is a good looking plane for sure. What are the specs?... anyone?

jrf 01-10-2007 11:59 AM

I'll check it out at the show and let you know.

Jim

Bearzilla 01-10-2007 03:35 PM

Jim Johnson from Pacific Aeromodel was kind enough to get back to me with some info on the new Clipped-Wing Monocoupe ARF. He said that he expects them to be in stock this March. Seems like a beauty for the price...It's got me thinking of putting a big Axi electric in mine. Here is the info he sent me:

"Race pilot Johnny Livingston created the full scale Clip Wing Monocoupe in 1932 by clipping 9 feet off the wings of his standard Monocoupe and adding a 60% bigger engine. Before the war, the Clip Wing was a very successful racer, winning more races than all of the Gee Bees combined. After WWII, the Clip Wing was used for aerobatic competition and airshows where it was again extremely successful, winning the first world aerobatic championship in 1948.

Pacific’s Quarter scale replica captures the original’s tough good looks, but our designers have tamed it’s nature to the point where it is as easy to fly as any intermediate sport model. It is fully aerobatic, yet lands like a trainer. Superb quality, easy assembly and front or rear mounts for your servos to help with the balance. This model is a stand-out."

Specifications:

• Wing Span: 69 in.
• Overall length: 63.5 in.
• Wing Area: 950 sq. in.
• Flying Weight: 12.5-14 lb.
• Engine: 1.20-1.80 (glow), 25-35cc (gas).
• Radio: 4 Channel, 6 servos.
• All wood construction.
• Two piece wing.
• Dummy engine included.
• Custom-built wing and fuselage covered with premium iron-on film.
• Painted fiberglass cowl and wheel pants.
• Quality 4-40 size hardware is included.
• 95% Factory assembled, ready to fly in just 15 hours.
• Quick and easy field assembly.

Intro price… $429.95

Kmot 01-13-2007 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw it at the AMA show today. It's a beauty!!

lownloud 01-14-2007 12:21 PM

that thing on floats would be dreamy

jrf 01-15-2007 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my pics. They say that their Clip Wing is easier to fly than the Kange full span Monocoupe.

Jim

OUTCAST 01-15-2007 04:10 PM

If the numbers posted by bearzilla are correct I doubt it's a good flier.
At 13 pounds 3 ounces {middle of the weight range} with 950 sq in it would have a wing loading of 32 ounces per foot.
For a 69" span model that's not good, in fact it's appalling, my 26 pound 33% Extra with 106 inch span is only 30.
The Kangke model is only around 22 at 14.5 pounds.
I do like the looks, hope someone posts a flight report.

jrf 01-15-2007 07:14 PM

Here we go again!

I'd suggest you check this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5002875/tm.htm on the Top Flight Cessna 310, which has the same wing area as the Clip Wing, weighs 20# plus, and has a wing loading of 50. That's too high for me, but there seems to be no problem with the way it flies.

I don't imagine that the Clip Wing will 3D like your Extra, nor will it float around like the Kange. On the other hand, 32 oz is a pretty good figure for a quarter scale airplane. There are plenty of ~1000 sq. in. aerobats out there with 30-35 ounce wing loadings and they fly fine. The Pacific Clip Wing is a lot bigger than the short wingspan might lead you to believe.

Jim

OUTCAST 01-15-2007 08:11 PM

Jim, these are quotes from the post you listed, your quotes: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5002875/tm.htm

"Wing span has nothing to do with it. Wing area is the important factor. As wing area goes up, the airplane can support a higher wing loading. The 310 supposedly has a wing area of 948 sq. in. which would be about right for a 60 size trainer or a 90-120 size aerobat. Either of which would probably have a wing span of about 70 inches, putting them, and the Top Flight 310, squarely into your 25-30 oz category.
Jim"

I agree

"Great Planes seems to be moving toward great looking, unusual scale planes that are a real treat to look at, but "difficult" to fly. Personally, I wouldn't walk from the pits to the flight line for stick time on a twin with a 43-50 oz wing loading.
Jim "

I agree again

What is a good flier to one person may be terrible to another, I like my planes to be light on the wing and land at reasonable speeds.
I have a Yellow P-38, 80 inch span, 24 pounds, two Moki 2.1's, 37 oz/ft, beautiful airplane, makes ya drool to look at it, flies like crap.
It's hot. takes a lot of runway {wouldn't even consider flying off long grass}, and I know the first time an engine flames out will be the last time it flies.
After a 5 minute flight your sweating, NOT fun.
High wing loading means high pucker factor, I want to enjoy my time not work at it.
This is of course just my opinion

:)

TLH101 01-15-2007 08:34 PM

Outcast,
Surely you jest.:eek:

jrf 01-15-2007 08:42 PM

High wing loading means high pucker factor, I want to enjoy my time not work at it.
This is of course just my opinion
And I agree completely with you. I quess it just comes down to what you consider a "high" wing loading. I still wouldn't want to fly a 948 sq. in. twin with a 50 ounce loading, even if others say it flies fine, but a gas powered quarter scale airplane at 32 ounces would not bother me at all. (And Pacific's test pilot said that with flapperons down it lands at least as slow as the Kange.)

I look forward to the flight reports as well, but I think it will fly great.

Jim

cloudsurfer 01-16-2007 06:52 PM

[
(And Pacific's test pilot said that with flapperons down it lands at least as slow as the Kange.)

I look forward to the flight reports as well, but I think it will fly great.

Jim
[/quote]

I have the Kangke Monocoupe with a Roto 25, weighs just a click over 14 pounds, With flaps down this plane can go so slow you can walk out and catch it. I think "Pacific's test pilot" may be bending the truth just a tad.[sm=lol.gif]

drdoom 01-17-2007 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The cowl looks like the right size on this Monocoupe, and the price on the sign says $429.00.

builder jim 01-23-2007 07:02 AM

I cant seem to get pacific aeromodeles to come up. is what maybe the web site. thank you builder jim

Zippi 01-23-2007 07:23 AM

builder jim,

Here is the URL.

http://www.pacaeromodel.com/

robert waldo 01-24-2007 12:44 AM

Wing area is only one issue in several factors, the other being rib profile or airfoil. A high lift clark Y type airfoil will produce more LIFT than a symetrical thin profile at any given area. High wing loaded airplanes almost always have a large amount of wash out to help keep pilots from Killing themselves.

builder jim 01-24-2007 09:44 AM

THANK YOU ZIPPI. have build several of these and are looking forward to the arf. builder jim

RHarding 04-17-2007 06:01 PM

Reading about the 1/4 scale clip wing from Pacific aero got me all excited. I was wondering why someone had not produced one. Sure hope they offer it uncovered.

I'm going to start on my Kangke 1/4 scale Monocoupe soon and have a question on engines. Considering the Saito 170 3 cyl radial or the OS 160 twin. Anyone with experience with either, please let me know.

Richard

steveo64 05-13-2007 12:04 PM

Has anyone seen a Video of this Monocoupe flying? This looks like a cool plane.

Does anyone have an opinion of this versus a Super Chipmunk ARF? (I am sure I will get opinions :))

builder jim 05-24-2007 12:53 PM

:DAnybody get one yet?

mobyal 05-24-2007 11:27 PM

ORIGINAL: builder jim

:DAnybody get one yet?
The website shows that they're in stock, and my credit card was billed on 5/18 for the one I ordered at Toledo, so I'm guessing I'll have mine in the next few days.
Al

builder jim 05-25-2007 04:05 AM

Am ordering mine soon, just letting things settle here, hope you can start a building post. am modifying mine to exact out line and recovering in sigs aerocoat. have a saito 150 and os 120 but want to run the os160 twin. we'll see. jim