RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Great Planes Revolver (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6116736-new-great-planes-revolver.html)

airraptor 01-26-2010 10:36 PM

RE: New Great Planes Revolver

i have completely striped all covering off of it and redid allot on this plane. the wing has shorter ailerons 4" inboard and out board. less drag the gaps a filled in. brand solid airfoild stab and elevators. that was the last failure on the plane at 140. i have a fool proof fix for the gear that only adds one ounce to the plane. the fiberglass gear will break before the fus will. i have stock gear and wheel on for now but will have wire skid that alows take off for reduced drag latter after first tests. the engine was going to be saito 125 on 45% but have now change to the OS 120AX on a 13x13 prop at around 13,400 on the ground. i am looking for 150 level flight. Oh yeah the aileron servo mounts were removed and reglued to top balsa sheeting and then had then glued to bottom balsa as well. the wing servo mounts need to be fixed on all revolvers no matter what engine you fly in it. they will come loose. i also took off the left side check cowl on the cowl and fiberglased it so it will have just a bit less drag too.

i am on my 4th revolver and have all issue's worked out. if you would like to have the best method of fixing its falults send me a email. i will take pics soon

lippucci 01-27-2010 12:43 AM

Great! Please take some pics BEFORE the first flight. Landing sure sounds interesting with that setup.

Has anyone tried flaperons with this bird? Sounds like a good way to slow her down.

Norm

airraptor 01-28-2010 08:44 PM

sorry wrong rpm numbers in there. 11,000 on the 13x13 with muffler and 12,300 with pipe. so 150 MPH might be a long shot. will try to post some pics tonight once i get off work if i remember how. lol

airraptor 01-30-2010 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are some pics of mods not finished with covering lol i suck at coming up with a design.

jet22b 01-30-2010 02:13 PM

Looking good, airraptor!!!!
One quick question?? What is the rear hatch for???
When you finish, she is going to be "sick"!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

airraptor 01-30-2010 06:58 PM

the rear hatch is where the HT elevator servo is. i have the linkage short and inside the plane to help reduce some drag some. flown yesterday and today. with out the cowl. and the stock gear. she was fast but still has more left once i get the cowl on and the wire skid on it.

I can also mount the pipe on it too if need more. with muffler it turns the 14x10 at 11,400 peak and set for about 11,000 for flight.

mike boxtall 01-31-2010 12:38 AM

Airraptor,
Just curious, your 120 ax spinning 13400 on the ground with the 13x13, OS advertises that the max rpm of that motor be only 10k. Your thoughts?

mike boxtall 01-31-2010 12:44 AM

My mistake the OS web site actually advertises it to be max output at 9500rpm.

airraptor 01-31-2010 01:00 PM

it wont turn that prop that fast i had wrong numbers on it. it turns it at 11,000 on the ground with muffler and around 12,200-12,400 with a pipe. APC 14x10 with muffler at 11,400.

OS has all the AX engine set up to turn larger props at low rpm to help reduce noise. Thats why they say max power at that rpm. the 35 AX we run 19,000 on 8x8, 95 AX at around 14,000 on 12x8. I did run a 14x14 full blade on the 120 with muffler and it turned it a 7,800 and was very very quite in the air.

airraptor 02-03-2010 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here it has one of the cowls on it. this is a extra one so i put it on for now till i get the other one done. the real one i took of the left side check and fiberglassed it in so it not out in the slip stream. it will be painted to match the plane once all done.

wire skid(s) is for a pylon type take off. or a hand launch straight up.

mike boxtall 02-03-2010 05:12 PM

Airraptor,
Did you beef up the firewall or just leave it stock?

jet22b 02-03-2010 06:01 PM

Airraptor;

The engine was a good fit for the cowling. No major mod needed.
I looking at the pictures with the engine on the plane, I could not see if you had beef up the firewall for this motor.
I can not wait to hear how fast she fly!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

airraptor 02-03-2010 09:17 PM

yeah you need to beef up the fire wall for any engine i think. some revolvers have dowled firewall some dont. doesnt matter they all come loose in time. i shortened up mine by 1/2 inch so could get the spinner closer to the cowl. even the saito 125 still stuck along way in front of cowl. I just sanded all around firewall and box structure, rounded corners then coated with epoxy, laid cloth on it from side to side and one more layer top to bottom. use wax paper to lay on top of glass squeeze out extra and let set up over night. oh yeah use small circle of masking tape to cover holes where screws go into blind nut. dont want epoxy in them. I also while redoing the wings took a acid brush and a large bowl of wood glue and went over every joint in the fues that is used to support the tank and firewall structure. let set over night then apply one more coat. adds alot of strength and very little weight.

I will try to get a radar this friday or weekend. no dive straight and level. hoping for 135-140

jet22b 02-03-2010 09:28 PM

Good luck on your first flight this weekend!!! I hope the speed will shock you!!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

airraptor 02-03-2010 09:50 PM

thanks i did fly it last weekend. . i am guessing around 125 or so with the stock landing gear and no cowl on it. i was doing knife edge passes at full throttle. just an ever so slight rudder stick movement. I will see if i can get some video of it too.

albsurfer 02-03-2010 10:08 PM

airraptor, I favour using a little Titebond wood glue in the fuse and any hard-to-reach place that CA or epoxy is really difficult to put in place. The warbird guys at my field are too into using only CA and epoxy, to the point of using the CA wick extension and spraying CA down the inside of the fuselage to try and get the stringers and braces to stick better. It doesn't even look like it gets to most of the actual joints that they try to hit. An acid brush dipped in Titebond taped to a dowel works great for getting down the fuse to hard to reach joints, stringers, etc. provides great strength with little weight.

fanoffive0 02-03-2010 10:22 PM

What radar gun are you using?

airraptor 02-04-2010 12:13 AM

I dont know what kind it is.i was just guessing off some of the other planes that were there that have been radared. my last revolver did 136 in slight dive at the gun. this one is faster with cowl off. we put the other one at 120 level. maybe MR. APC will be out this week with his gun and can get some good times.

Kostas1 02-04-2010 02:02 AM

Airraptor,

the fit of the 120AX is good.

Also i guess the *speed numbers* are good too.

Only thing that IMO doesn't fit is the covering job you did.

The stock monokote trim looked good to me ,
but that's my .02$.

I,too,
am waiting for a video or even more pictures! ;)

airraptor 02-04-2010 03:26 AM

well any arf stock covering will peel and come loose or let oil into the airframe. yes i like the look of the stock one too but it wasnt about looks here. i had to redo the wing to the way i thought it should be for speed, made a new tail, and so on. even though i didnt come up with a super nice looking plane it will last much longer than a stock one would. i know all the failure points on this plane and i fixed all them. but now thats its going much faster i might find another failure. fingers crossed. when i fly tomorrow or friday. i will take it up till i almost cant see it then full throttle staright down. if she hold up then i can do anything to it. i have done that already but that was with the wheels and no cowl.

airraptor 02-04-2010 03:55 PM

well flew it today only one flight before it started to rain. the wire skid gear set up isnt working like i thought it would. noses over on landing and very hard to get to take off. may have to put the gear back on it. or try some thing else. i have tried the race wheels on the gear but its to week to hold up. i might have to try an aluminum set with race wheels.

albsurfer 02-04-2010 04:23 PM

the skid is probably making it bounce too much because of the built-in spring of the metal, and the drag involved when it touches the ground. If there is a breeze when you radar it next time, do one measurement up-wind, then one down-wind, and average them. It should be within 1 mph of a dead-calm run. The run should be at level flight, not even a slight dive or descent. We usually take the measurement 3 seconds after snapping out of a dive and going to level flight. The width of the cowl sticking out from the airframe may be the cause of too much drag, as compared to running it without the cowl. The Revolver has "cheeks". The spinner actually breaks a fair amount of wind around the fuse of a smaller airframe if you don't use too small a diameter.

airraptor 02-04-2010 04:40 PM

with cowl on it will be faster. i have another cowl that i am removing one of the cheeks on it and the other side has the engine sticking out in it. i am guessing 130-135 on a pylon course with no dive at all. i will play with props some more. today it was on the 13x13

Nitrodan73 02-14-2010 05:34 PM

Does anyone have any of the original landing gear for this plane? I'm also looking for wheel pants as well. Please send me a PM if you're interested in selling them.

microdon2 02-14-2010 06:11 PM

Click to learn more about the advantages of upgrading your membership here at RC Universe

Score: 100
Last Login: 2/13/2010
Status: online Just finished building my new Rev 70 - have an OS 91 2S in it and high-torque HS-636 Hitachi servos. Also replaced the stock gear (front and rear) with Dubro gear - MUCH stronger, though not as sleek (did the same on my two 59" Revolvers, one an OS 70 4S, the other an OS 61 2S.). Had the same problems as everyone else of these gear breaking or ripping out WAY too easily (especially considering the overall sturdiness of the rest of the plane), so decided to swap all out, and am VERY happy I did! My airfield is a little rough, and I've had some less than stellar landing, and these Dubro's gear handle them easily. Had to paint the gear white (with fuel proof paint), then added three layers of trim, corresponding to the color of the plane. Also, since the main gear does not "sweep back" like the stock one, and for better appearance, I moved the mounting point back about 3". To do that I installed all new flooring (with 1/4 think hardwood strips) on the inside and 30 min epoxy to weld it in place. Then installed T-nuts - works great. Tomorrow morning the weather looks good (28 deg, 10 mph from NW) so I'll be flying my new Rev 70 for the first time - in the snow. (also installed skis last night). btw - I hate cold hands, too, which is why I spent $70 on a "Radiowarm" - covers the hands and radio - worth twice what I paid. Now I LOVE flying in the cold! Specially taking off and landing on snow. Plus, MUCH less competition for the airfield! Will post pics soon.