RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6217929-hangar-9-1-4-scale-piper-cub-arf.html)

BlitzPig 04-24-2012 04:59 AM

RE: Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Piper Cub ARF???

ORIGINAL: GalenB

Can someone provide a link to the O-ring mod for the gear?

TIA!
Think it's somewhere in the middle. Maybe a few pages earlier,

GalenB 04-24-2012 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: BlitzPig

ORIGINAL: GalenB

Can someone provide a link to the O-ring mod for the gear?

TIA!
Think it's somewhere in the middle. Maybe a few pages earlier,

It was farther back than I remembered... Post #796

rtn9105 04-30-2012 07:32 AM

Do you guys think this airframe is strong enough for a 40cc gas engine?

cannonball200 04-30-2012 08:09 AM

You would need to do some firewall work bracing. My Dle 20 fly's it with plenty of power. Are you planning on hovering and etc.?
Thanks,
Eddie

rtn9105 04-30-2012 09:05 AM

No not hovering
My plane has a G20 on it and it flies very nice and very scale but I do think it would be fun to have some extra power.

cannonball200 04-30-2012 09:53 AM

That would work.... You always have throttle control.... try it and then it will have the horsepower of a Super Cub for short take offs and landings.
Thanks,
Eddie

Bob dunlop 05-01-2012 08:28 AM

Throttle control ? I thought you just pushed that stick all the way up and left it :D

hidaven 05-01-2012 01:56 PM

What size servo arms are needed for the ailerons, rudder, elevator?

tevans55 05-03-2012 07:06 AM

I am building this plane for for our local children's hospital. We have a Wings for KIds Air Show every June and we have raised $118,400 to date for the hospital. The hospital purchased this plane for our club to fly and display to raise money for the hospital. But I digress...

I tell you this because the servos were donated. They are the recommended Spektrum DS 821 servos. I fly Futaba and typically use Futaba and Hitec servos. As I began to cut the extra arms off of the Spektrum servo arms they seemed to be more brittle than what I was used to with Futaba or Hitec. I therefore purchased the DuBro HD Spektrum/JR servo arms and used those.

I don't know that there is any evidence that the standard arms would not work just fine...I just made the change primarily based on the size and ownership of the plane. I have put a donated 30cc engine on the plane so I feel the ounce of prevention is warranted. If the plane were to always be flown in a scale manner then standard arms again would probably be fine. This plane will be flown in air shows and demonstrations and will probably be flown beyond the scale parameters of the full scale cub. The reason for this will be to show off the modified graphics being added to the plane.

Hope this helps a little.

Bob dunlop 05-04-2012 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got some time to work on the Cub again...it's ready to fly now...vacation starts Monday so I will maiden her then :)
Took some ideas from you guys and others for cockpit detailing...here are some pics :)

lumpy649 05-04-2012 11:59 AM

Hi Bob,
How did your CG come out, I'm going to be installing the same power package as you and I am wondering if you had to add any addition weight for balance. Plane looks great by the way, Good Luck with the maiden

Gary

Bob dunlop 05-04-2012 12:10 PM

Thanks for the compliment...it's a little nose heavy ATM but that will be fine for the maiden...I like my planes a little nose heavy anyway :)

Bob dunlop 05-04-2012 02:38 PM

Just measured it on the CG machine...4 1/4.....I would imagine that should be ok...if not I can always tape a brick to the rudder :D

SrTelemaster150 05-04-2012 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Bob dunlop

Finally got some time to work on the Cub again...it's ready to fly now...vacation starts Monday so I will maiden her then :)
Took some ideas from you guys and others for cockpit detailing...here are some pics :)

W/all that awesome cabin detail a nice, detailed, scale Continental sticking out the sides of the cowl would make you Cub even more impressive.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...ContEngine.jpg

Bob dunlop 05-04-2012 03:54 PM

Wow! Thank you so much for that link....I was just sitting here wondering what to do about an engine..I'm all over this!
Thanks again,Bob

SrTelemaster150 05-05-2012 03:18 AM

Wow! Thank you so much for that link....I was just sitting here wondering what to do about an engine..I'm all over this!
Thanks again,Bob

Here's the pdf file for the assembly manual.

http://www.topnotchkits.com/index_fi...bly_Manual.pdf

I'm going to get one of these in 1/5 scale for the World Models J-3 I just ordered.

cannonball200 05-05-2012 09:04 AM

;)Great job on the interior of your J-3 Cub!!!!!!!!!

Bob dunlop 05-05-2012 11:46 AM

Thanks Cannonball!...I just ordered the dummy engine and a new cowl to put it in...I'll post pics of the build :)

SrTelemaster150 05-05-2012 12:00 PM

Thanks Cannonball!...I just ordered the dummy engine and a new cowl to put it in...I'll post pics of the build :)

Did you order the Top Notch dummy engine kit?

Bob dunlop 05-05-2012 12:26 PM

Yep :)

SrTelemaster150 05-05-2012 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Did you order the Top Notch dummy engine kit?

Yep :)

Cool, let us know how it goes.

I want to get the 1/5 scale for my World Models Cub.

hidaven 05-05-2012 07:24 PM

Anyone find a 12mm prop nut or spinner? This bare nut looks like junk! : (((

BlitzPig 05-05-2012 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For those using the DLE-20, how much and what parts of cowling are you cutting away for cooling? I've run a gallon through mine in the air without the cowling for break-in. Iput the cowling on and it overheated after about 10 minutes of low power cruising around. Ihad only cut a 3 inch long gap for spark plug on bottom, opened the square airbox and opened the aft side of the the false cylinder baffling.
Icame home and enlarged the two holes above the airbox and opened a large triangle on the bottom. Ihope this is enough. Iwant to preserve as much cowling as possible. It doesn't help that it was 90F today.

Bob dunlop 05-05-2012 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: hidaven

Anyone find a 12mm prop nut or spinner? This bare nut looks like junk! : (((
I agree...I was going to use the WWI washer from Balsa USA but it just doesn't look right with that 12mm nut....I have scoured the Internet and have not been able to find anything in 12mm....I'm thinking about buying another 12mm prop adapter and taking it to a machine shop and having it turned down to 10mm...that will open up a number of possibilities,like the Balsa USA WWi 10mm prop washer and nut in that antique brass finish. :)
Bob
<br type="_moz" />

Bob dunlop 05-05-2012 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: BlitzPig

For those using the DLE-20, how much and what parts of cowling are you cutting away for cooling? I've run a gallon through mine in the air without the cowling for break-in. Iput the cowling on and it overheated after about 10 minutes of low power cruising around. Ihad only cut a 3 inch long gap for spark plug on bottom, opened the square airbox and opened the aft side of the the false cylinder baffling.
Icame home and enlarged the two holes above the airbox and opened a large triangle on the bottom. Ihope this is enough. Iwant to preserve as much cowling as possible. It doesn't help that it was 90F today.

You may need to run your engine a little richer to keep it cool with the cowl on it
<br type="_moz" />