RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Hangar 9 40 Size Piper Pawnee!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6815783-hangar-9-40-size-piper-pawnee.html)

BountyHunter51 07-25-2012 02:53 AM

RE: Hangar 9 40 Size Piper Pawnee!!!

I'm sure it gets alot of attention from the pilots there.
It's cool that you copied the full sized Pawnee that you have access to. :D
Cheers!

littlera 08-19-2012 10:09 AM

I have been flying my Pawnee for at least four years now. I am on the low side of power with the recommended .52 Evo. No powerhouse, but a fine running engine, and scale-like operation.

I have noticed one surprising quirk in the handling of this plane. Flying straight and level at full power (what of it there is) if I apply a moderate amount of rudder, there is a very noticeable tendency for the plane to "tuck under," that is for the nose to drop. A lot of up elevator is required to keep it on line. With all the dihedral this plane has, I am very surprised that it does this. Has anyone else noticed this trait? Do you have an explanation / remedy?

jpanhalt 08-19-2012 10:22 AM

I will have to try it, but I am not surprised it happens. In the days of rudder only, we had lots of dihedral, and full rudder (all we had) made the nose drop. In fact, doing that for a full turn followed by opposite rudder would give you a loop. Maybe I will try that too this week.

My Pawnee has a 4 stroke 70.

John

cgflying 09-01-2012 05:02 PM

Has anyone installed the sullivan tail wheel on the Pawnee 40?  If so does it install the same as the factory one are does it attach to the bottom of the plane?

landeck 09-02-2012 02:23 AM

I installed the DuBro tail wheel and screwed it to the bottom of the fuselage with the springs attached to the rudder. The Sullivan tail wheel would be installed in a similar manner with the single spring attached to the rudder.

Bruce

cgflying 09-02-2012 06:06 AM

So you just skipped the tail wheel mounting step in the instructions and put your tail wheel on at a later time. Did you go with the same size wheel are a little bigger.

mobyal 09-02-2012 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: cgflying

Has anyone installed the sullivan tail wheel on the Pawnee 40? If so does it install the same as the factory one are does it attach to the bottom of the plane?
Yes. Take the kit-supplied tailwheel and throw it as far into the bushes as you can, and get either the DuBro or Sullivan tailwheel and install it on the fuse bottom w/ the springs attached to the rudder horns. It's been a while since I did mine, but if I remember right I cut a small piece of 1/8 ply and epoxied it to the fuse underside to firm up the mounting point for the DuBro. I knew when I installed the one in the kit it was going to cause a problem, and the first time I landed in a crosswind it pulled out of the rudder and made a mess of things. This is one of the great airplanes and you're gonna love it, but that supplied tailwheel isn't a real high spot in H9 annals.
Good luck!

flyallday 09-02-2012 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My stock tailwheel never even got installed - it looked like trouble. I used a Sig tailwheel and added some ply like mobyal did. The mains are not much better and changed them out too. Other than that, it is a solid aircraft!

Harry<br type="_moz" />

cgflying 09-04-2012 07:12 PM

Ok I got the Dubro tailwheel mounted with a litte modification.  What engine are most people using.  I see the Saito 82, however this is a little steep for me.  I also noticed the Evolution 60 and super tiger 90.  I know the Evolution 52 is going to be on the low end of the power, so I am trying to go little bigger. 

landeck 09-05-2012 03:08 AM

I am flying it with an OS .46 AX and it flys well, very scale. This is not a plane to be over powered.

Bruce

steve1mac 09-05-2012 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed a <span style="font-size: small;"><font><font face="Arial">YS FZ115-S</font></font></span>. Way overpowered for the standard setup. However, my plane has tow hooks for pulling sailplanes and banners.
I also changed the main landing gear to modified Sullivan Cub gear.

This setup looks very similar to the full scale pawnee and makes for easy takeoffs and landings on grass which is nessessary for pulling sailplanes.

cgflying 09-05-2012 06:18 PM

Thanks for the information.  I am leaning towards the Evolutio 61.  This should give me enough power, yet still allow me to fly scale like.

Thomas B 09-08-2012 03:22 PM

I used an Ohio Superstar scale tailwheel on mine and it is a great looking option that works well.

CB36 09-27-2012 06:31 AM

Has anyone mounted a 4 stroke inverted? Any reason as to why not?
Thanks!

pilotdb09 09-27-2012 07:23 AM

I have a Saito 180 GK and an 82 GK, both mounted inverted. Both run just fine that way.
The only caution is to be sure you do not over choke, fill the cylinder with fuel and then try to turn it over as you could create compression lock and bend the connecting rod. I have never experienced this and have used inverted engines

CB36 09-27-2012 09:11 AM

I should have asked the question in regards to the H9 Pawnee. I have had good results with 4 strokes in other planes, I was just wondering if there was something I was missing in regards to the Pawnee?

Also, apparently there are issues with the stock gear. What would be a reasonably priced alternative? Robart is nice, but the price is out of the question!

I just picked it up yesterday and am anxious to get it together. I'm planning on putting my OS 70FS in it, hopefully inverted with a remote glow adaptor. I want to keep the cowl as hole-free as possible.

Thanks for the reply.

pilotdb09 09-27-2012 10:25 AM

The landing gear fix is very simple.
As the welds in the horizontal components tend to break on hard landings, before flying the ship, simply add two nylon landing gear straps screwed to the plywood bottom of the plane. These straps should cover both wires that are welded together.
Problem solved before it became a problem!

CB36 09-27-2012 02:43 PM

OK, next question:
My OS 70FS will stick out well beyond the cowl, ~1/2". I see that there is right and down thrust built in. Do I cut and move the firewall back?

jpanhalt 09-27-2012 03:04 PM

I have an OS70 FS mounted to my Pawnee. Absolutely no modification to the mount to accommodate that, and it does not stick out more than normal. Not quite sure what you mean. (I did reinforce the mount, however.)

John

KaP2011 09-27-2012 03:52 PM

I also have an OS 70FS mounted on my Pawnee and it fits well with the stock mount.

cgflying 09-27-2012 05:56 PM

What are people doing for fueling. Ihave both the fuel port and a plug with a tee. Which do you find better for the Pawnee.

KaP2011 09-27-2012 06:47 PM

I use a three line setup with a fuel dot.

landeck 09-28-2012 03:09 AM

ORIGINAL: KaP2011

I use a three line setup with a fuel dot.
So do I.

Bruce

BountyHunter51 09-28-2012 06:07 PM

Three line setup here as well.
Cheers!

Lucas45 09-30-2012 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: steve1mac

I installed a <span style=''font-size: small;''><font><font face=''Arial''>YS FZ115-S</font></font></span>. Way overpowered for the standard setup. However, my plane has tow hooks for pulling sailplanes and banners.
I also changed the main landing gear to modified Sullivan Cub gear.

This setup looks very similar to the full scale pawnee and makes for easy takeoffs and landings on grass which is nessessary for pulling sailplanes.

Hi
I looked for the gear you mentioned on the Sllivan site and I do not see them.
Do you have a part number as I am thinking of changing mine out. I have done the tail and its well worth it.
cheers