RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Anyone tried worldmodels TAMEcat ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6982826-anyone-tried-worldmodels-tamecat.html)

q8cub 01-28-2008 07:10 AM

Anyone tried worldmodels TAMEcat ?

I was looking for a trainer plane for my son and saw the worldmodels TAMEcat trainer at our LHS.

I was impressed by the way it looks. However, I would like to know if someone flew this plane and if it can be used as a first time trainer ?

Of course other choices include many good trainers like calmato, seagull 40, speedair 40 and many many other trainers available.

Thanks in advance!

multicasting 01-28-2008 07:56 PM

RE: Anyone tried worldmodels TAMEcat ?

1 Attachment(s)
I saw one of hese for electric at a hobby store recently. I can't speak for the version, but I did have the original version from Aitech designed by Jeff Troy for a 40-60 size nitro engine. That plane flew well, and was hardy enough to bounce off the ground a few tiimes and keep going. The wing attachment was cumbersome, and the nose strut was far too weak. It was a 70 inch wingspanand very heavy. But with all that wing and the lift from the fuse, it floated in very nicely nose high and slow.

The electric version I saw was much smaller, but it caused a stir when I saw it. It looked very nice on the finish. I noticed it evan came with a brushless motor. It might be a little less stable than the original. However, at half the scale and one fourth the weight, it should handle nicely. Plus, for a beginner, it looks really cool.

The only problem I have with the new one is that 2100 mah battery is going to get expensive if you want to buy enough to keep flying through the day.

I wonder if it would take a .25 size nitro engine?

multicasting 01-28-2008 08:24 PM

I just found out that that WM does offer the .40 size Tamecat. It looks like they have made some improvements over the one I had from the late 1980s. It is cetainly listed about 2 lbs lighter than I recall mine being. Also, mine was an ARC with the fuse being sheeted foam. I would defeinately re-inforce the vertical stabilizers with corner stock as I did in the photo above.

It looks nicely priced at $109 too. I sed a fultz strut in the front wheel. Also, I mounted a 60 size engine. As a result, the battery was in the tail to get the CG right. It looks like that also fixed those awful plastic parts in the old kit. The canopy, cowl, and wingtips were thin plastic that cracked too easily. I noticed that the new cowl appears to have bumps on it perhaps to simulate exhaust. That's kind of weird since this is suppsosed to be a jet.

Bob

q8cub 01-29-2008 01:22 AM

Thanks for your reply!

I guess you are one of the very few here at rcu that tried this model! I was referring to the .40 size model (wingspan 69") which is one lb lighter than the altech version. WM version also has a balsa wing and fuse.

I don't want to disappoint my son and give him a bad first impression about r/c flying. How would you compare it to a typical trainer? takeoffs - landings - turns - stall speed .. etc.

Gizmo-RCU 01-29-2008 09:07 AM

A friend has one, it flies well but would be a better 2nd plane. Go with a Sig LT 40 or Nexstar or similar high wing trainer at least in the beginning. Good Luck!!!!

multicasting 01-30-2008 12:39 AM

I have flown several trainers for check flights for folks at the field. The closest thing I could compare it to was the Easyfly 40. The Tamecat should handle something like a slightly heavy LT-40. The massive wing of the tamecat allows it to slow way down. In fact, I could drag the strakes on landing. Additionally, there is lift form the wide body fuse. As a result, the stall speed was nice and slow. Give it a 5-10 MPH headwind, and it will come in nice and slow while maintaining excellent controll. During one day in about 15 mph winds, I was able to make landings with almost no roll out. Stalls are easy and nose directly over as a trainer should. The long nose of the Tamecat means the nose wheel supports a lot of weight. Make sure that the strut is solid. Beware, if the plane is tail heavy, it has the potential to fall into a flat spin if stalled at a high angle with that long nose.

It handled like a trainer in the stock formation. Takeoffes were uneventful. The landings were noce and slow. The weight and size come in handy because the plane handles true and doesn't float around. The flat bottom wing doesn't support inverted flight very well. It has very slow roll rates, and the wing may not have dihedral so it will not right itself. But to these video game kids, He may progress rapidly beyond a purely basic trainer. Once he masters the plane with a 40 size engine step it up to a larger engine. I personally think the 40 engine is going to make the plane seem anemic. But then again, it is a trainer. I would not hesitate to train another on this aircraft.

After I got bored with mine, I installed a larger engine and much larger control surfaces. The result was a big odd looking bird that would flat spin, and do waterfalls. It was the wildest thing! Obviously I was on borrowed time with all that nonsense and one day the wing departed the plane. Remarkable, the lifting body and tail surfaced allowed enough lift and controll to keep the nose from pointing straight down as the wingless fuse hit the ground way too fast. It was totally cool.

I loved mine, and quite frankily I thought it was a great trainer.

q8cub 02-28-2008 10:57 AM

time flies! it has been almost a month and we have done many training flights with a buddy box! I am glad I picked the tamcat as a trainer as it handled nicely, and yesterday, my son did the first takeoff! it was nice!

Our tamecat is a little nose heavy even with an os 46 but I guess training on a nose heavy plane is fine.

I am thinking to add flaberon effect using the computer radio to slow it down when there is no wind! It does land fast a little!

Again, thanks guys for your valuable opinions and all the best!

fredscz 02-28-2008 10:50 PM

Why not get the C/G where it is supposed to be . You will probably be able to slow it down quite a bit more if you have been flying it real nose heavy.
Fred

simitar1 08-22-2008 09:43 PM

IF YOU WANT THE MOST AND PROBABLY BEST INFO YOU ARE GOING TO FIND ON THE JEFF TROY TAME CAT, SEE: Bill Diedrich Thread "Tame Cat Trainer Assembly" My Cat is the one in the later pictures where I added bracing, changed the nose gear steering etc. I love it and have only had it up once for about 1 minute, read on.

Up, Up, Up, Up, and back under control. Finally got over my last operation and allowed to lift something as heavy as my field box. Really happy with the way this ARF went together, really concerned about the C.G. requring me to put the battery and about 2 oz of lead against the end of the Fusealage. Off to the field, recheck everything, slight overcast with glare, wind 6-8 at about 45 degrees off the runway. The Tower 46 needed just about 3 clicks to lean so it has just a hint of 4cycle, still only two tanks on it, it pulls very stongly as it revs.

The Cat tracked perfectly to the grass, into the middle of the field, an easy turn into the general direction of the wind, Hammer down. About 30 feet and rotation starts, whoa I didn't do that, mains are still on the ground, speed is enough and up she rises. Problem is, she keeps rising and I'm feeding a little more dow with each passing second to avoid a stall. Now the nose starts to come down and I'm hearing the chirp, chirp, chirp of my transmitter as I dial in Down Elevator while easing off the stick. Bank left away from the field, going down wind at about 1/3 throttle nose still high, left again and lined up. As I throttle back the nose a actually rising, like it is about to stall, I feed a little power and it gets sloid again. The Mains touch as it passes me and the nose settles smoothly, the roll out is about 20 feet and I taxi back to the pits.

I had spent a lot of time on the C.G and Lateral balance. I rechecked and found I was 3 mm back on the C.G. and the Elevator was as much as 3 degrees up when the trim was at center. I decided to play it really safe, I called World Models, USA. After discussing the flight and considering that I had set the C.G. with the plane "DRY" but had flown with about 10oz of fuel. They suggested moving the C.G to a comfortable nose down "dry" position and try it again. I must say this model flys, great even with my initial difficulty, it was steady, responsive, and just plain fun. I got rid of the 2oz of lead, moved the battery 3/4 inch forward but still in the very back end. I can't wait to fly it again, I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a great looking plane that is fun to fly.

Loopman 09-07-2008 09:44 PM

What is the distance from engine centerline to the ground on the Tamecat? I'm going to be using an AXI 4120/20 and a FlightPower 4900mah 6S. The battery pack fits the fuel tank compartment snugly with enough room left over for the BEC/ESC. The AXI and the BEC/ESC are currently on a 60 size Ultra Stick and the prop size is 15x8. Any suggestions on prop size would also be appreciated. If clearance becomes an issue I may go to a 3 blade Graupner.

Thanks

Loopman :eek:

simitar1 09-07-2008 10:11 PM

It measures 8.125 inches using a level and square. While you could gain or loose a little vertical, depending on the exact position of the collar on the nose gear, 8 inches is what you have, centerline to ground.

If you are hauling a 60 Stik, which probably weighes about 8oz. more than the Cat, the performance should be impressive.

Loopman 09-15-2008 08:09 PM

Okay,
I've started the building/conversion of the World Models Tamecat. I am now going to use a BP Hobbies BP-A4120-7 motor with a BP-80A-LV ESC. I'm still going to use my Flightpower 4900mah 6S battery. According to a friend who works for Flightpower, and knows a whole lot more than me, I should try an 11x8 or 12x6 prop. That will give me more rpm and the ground clearance I need. The kit is first rate and the contstruction looks like it was designed for electric conversion. The fuse structure is open all the way through so if I open the rear of the fuse, where the fake exhaust outlets are, that will give me my air exit. I'm going to open the bottom of the cowl and widen the hole on the firewall to accomodate an air inlet channel.
I did convert the wing hold downs to 10x24 nylon bolts instead of the weak looking skinny metal bolts that were in the kit. The fuel tank area accomodates the Flightpower 6s with no modification. I will have to build a small shelf in the bottom of the tank compartment so I can velcro the battery in. I am also leaning toward using a separate servo for the nose gear steering. I'll try to post some pics on the next reply.

Happy Flying!

Loopman;)

simitar1 09-15-2008 08:50 PM

If you look at my alteration to the nose gear setup, I just attached to the top of the wire versus working at the bottom where it is cramped. Will you be adding any gussetts or webing to improve the durability of the front third of the fuselage??

I hope you will post some pictures of your conversion, I'm certain it will stir interest.

I'm flying my TCat again early Tuesday, can't.

Loopman 09-15-2008 10:07 PM

Probably will add some triangle stock to the backside of the firewall. I would've done that anyway. I will be adding a shelf for the battery so that will stiffen things up a bit. Overall, the motor and battery weigh about the same as a full tank and glow engine. With the servos in the back this may balance out fairly well.

Happy Flying!

Loopman ;)

Loopman 09-28-2008 07:28 PM

Okay, here's the scoop on the "electrification" of the standard size Tamecat.

a. Installed BP Hobbies "4120-7" brushless outrunner w/APC 12x8E prop. Could not use the supplied spinner as the backplate distorted when the prop nut was tightened. Tried to use an "Extreme Flight" spinner but the stock cut outs are too big and the spinner catches air and spins out of balance. Used a BP "80A" ESC which was overkill I know but the price was right. Together motor and ESC was right at $100! (Okay so sue me, I'm cheap).
b. Flight battery was a FlightPower Evo-Lite 3200mah 5S (18.5v). all connectors were Dean Ultras.
c. Used standard sized servos for all flight controls but I did decide to use a Hitec 605HD for the rudder since it did double duty with the remote nose wheel. I also upgraded the nose wheel steering pushrod to 4-40 size, the sub 2-56 stock pushrod was just too flimsy.
d. Due to balancing issues I used a separate 2000mah 4.8v Ni-Mh receiver pack mounted in the tail and even though I do not like to use any unnecessary weight, I added 4oz. of lead sheet to the tail.
e. I also upgraded the wheels to 3.25 Dubro Light Weights for better handling on grass.
f. AUW was measured with an electronic fish scale and the plane ,RTF, came in at a respectable 6.11 pounds.

Maiden flight was GREAT! Plane tracks very nicely (as most trikes tend to do) but you have to feed in a little up to get her to break contact with mother earth. Once up and at 1/2 throttle she comfortable tracked straight up at about 80 degrees with no effort! My cheap motor and esc performed flawlessly. I only had to feed in 4 clicks of down to arrive at straight and level flight. Half throttle provided ample power for big round loops and cuban eights. Landing was a pleasure as well. Just before turning on final I chopped the throttle and glided her in. She has to be landed just like she takes off, you have to fly her onto the runway. Once down, I allowed her to stop and then used the throttle to get her back to the pit area (ain't electricity a wonderful thing!).
Anyway, I wish I had some pics available for you guys but my camera is ka-poot! The plane was basically my first endeavor in electrifying an otherwise glow-engined plane. The "Tamecat" was an excellent choice, I highly recommend her to anyone desiring to do the same!

Happy Flying!

Loopman ;)

jstfish 11-04-2008 10:17 AM

Looking around for a different design in models and wanting a "low stress" flyer, I stumbled across the Tamecat by World Models. I ordered one and the build was easy and the quality of components were good. Took me about 8 hours total for the buld as I am not an experianced bulder of aircraft (I fly Helis). The plane is a bit nose heavy and the hardware is ok...but I installed all Dubro hardware on mine. I installed all Hitech servos, TT .46 pro, and AR-7000 Rx.. The Tamecat flies very predictable and is even a good gloater if you have a little headwind. If you want something different, try a Tamecat they look awsome in the air and you wont find many designs like this with a large flat bottom wing.

flyer 8 02-15-2010 08:02 PM

You might want to try the World Models Sky Raider MACH I.

Matt

Bill Diedrich 02-15-2010 09:05 PM

I have the Jeff Roy's TameCat trainer, and have flown it. It is not a trainer by any means
this thing is like a fighter jet, It is very responsive to all control inputs even with dual rates
set at 40%, but yet it will slow right down and not have a tendancy to drop a wing tip or
stall, but due to the profile it is hard to judge the approach due to the color (grey). It can
and will get you dis-orinitated in a heart beat.
Here is the thread where I assembled mine and some pics of it:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7561774/tm.htm

I had mine fitted with a GMS 47 swinging a 11-7 MAS prop, Futaba radio with std BB servos.
I am currently refitting the TameCat with a GMS 40 and will fly again in the Spring

Bill D.

philbel 03-09-2010 04:01 PM

Hi all,
I have an electric Tamecat Trainer (the bigger one) and it flys really good...
Here is my setup
Turnigy 50-55B 600kv
Turnigy Plush 60a esc with BEC
6 cell 4900 Rhino lipo battery
4 standard servos (Futaba 3004)
AS 13x8 prop / but It's a litte too big and I will replace it with a 12x8.
Great power, very aerobatic. Total weight: 7 1/2 pounds.
Philippe

RTice 06-28-2010 09:34 PM

Gents:
I plan to purchase the Tamecat by the end of July. In the meantime, I want to get some items on order. Can you guys take some measurements for me? I would like to know the following:

- length of the nose gear (wheel axle to spring)...I want to put on some strut covers
- length of main gear (wheel axle to wing)..I want to put on some strut covers
- measurement from motor shaft to ground...I want to determine the largest prop possible
- what size pilots (in inches) will work (I don't care for the ones included).

Lastly, is there any hardware that needs to be changed out? Are the included wheels any good?

Thanks a million!

chiefjcw 06-29-2010 03:11 PM

I have been building the Jeff Troy designed F-14 Tamecat for a couple of months.
Slow project.

The plans should still be available from AMA. I think the plan number is 654-1.

It is a 40 size with a 66 inch wing span.

What is nice about the plans, 4 sheets and 2 of the sheets are all the templates for the plane.
The landing gear template is also included.

Keep em' flying