RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Hangar 9 Fokker DVII (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/7046813-hangar-9-fokker-dvii.html)

Azzir325 02-29-2012 04:26 PM

RE: Hangar 9 Fokker DVII

1 Attachment(s)
Congrats to our Oberst who's 2 classic planes are featured in the latest MA! Good for you, Pete!

Bill, I have to agree with Pete regarding the strength of the D 7, and for that matter, the Sopwith Camel too. My D 7 has had extreme engine problems with the highly touted Evolution engine (boat anchor) resulting in many dead stick landings and one outright crash in which the plane bounced off the ground into the air, did a cartwheel in mid air and banged back into the ground, and sustained only minor damage. As for the Camel, the scale narrow landing gear means that landings usually result in nose overs without damage. Then there was the time I flew it into a fence. The result of that little event was a single wing panel requiring repair or replacement. I opted to replace, but still have the damaged wing so one day if I get motivated, I can fix it.
Rick

Lancaster 52 02-29-2012 08:49 PM

Hey Rick,

I'd like to also congradulate Pete on having his pride and joys in MA!!! Way to Go Pete!!!
I guess I will soon find out for myself just how tough the D-VII is once the weather gets a little better.
It's been windy here lately and now we are getting dumped on with rain........better than shoveling Snow.
I'm not real happy with the cowl fit on the D-VII, but I finally got it on, just not sure if the top of the valve cover on the OS is touching the bottom of the cowl, it's close.
I will hold off attaching the D-VII's exhaust on top of the cowl, that way if the OS .90 melts any of the cowl I'll know where I need to do a little dremel work!
Rick it was kinda funny about your mention of a certain boat anchor, there was an ad right above your post for the very same!!!

Bill

Luftwaffe Oberst 03-01-2012 03:01 AM

I thank you all for your kind words. It was nice to spend most of that day with my club president and Dave Mathewson when the picture was taken. Matter in fact Mr. Mathewson is giving me his personal AMA District II patch to add on to my flight jacket. It's very rare and it means a lot to me! Again I feel that it was a dumb move on Hanger 9's part to discontuinue this very nice aircraft, and if people continue to preasure Horizon, they might bring it back- one can only hope.

In a few weeks I'll be doing a build and small bash at RCG with the Seagull Gee Bee Z, so if anyone is interested it will be in the Scale thread in about 2 weeks. Why I'm not doing it here is because RCU is having so many issues with the server, and many of the things I post don't show up. Plus a few moderators have something stuck up their behinds and think they are Gods gift to modelers. However they can't fix or reset a server, at the same time hinder communication when ever someone says something they don't agree with. :eek: But that's OK, I have ways to communicate out of RCU's control to everyone that is in here, plus I have personal emails of other members.

Everyone has my email in this months issue of MA, so feel free to write me. I won't be posting much here anymore because of the issues I have with 2 of the moderators and Nathan who lets moderators do what ever they want to do- basicly all 3 are butt buddies. So, I had to use my old avitar in order for you all to see this post.

Everyone take care of yourselves, and hope to meet some of you at a event one day. And if you come up to the Syracuse Thunderbirds Aero Radio Sociaty in Central NY, feel free to ask for me.

Again, I am so lucky to have my planes on page 82. I guess I have to "hanger queen" the planes now? Marty at Redneck R/C- Fulton, NY, Dave Mathewson, Chuck and another friend in my club- Dave said it would be bad luck to fly them since they made the magazine and they are begging me to keep them on my ceiling safe and sound. If that's the case, I'll have to ask people when they take pictures at a show of my planes not to publish them in any magazine for now on. Because if that keeps up, I'm not going to have a plane to fly! :D

Keep the wings level!

Pete

sbrackets 04-09-2012 02:37 PM

Hey Guys
Just asking to see what RPM's your getting from your Saito .82 engines. I'm finished mine with a (Zinger wood 14X8 prop) and getting 7500 rpm at full throttle. The Saito manual shows top end to be 11,000 rpm. I know that if I change to a 13x7 I'll gain a little more rpm but will be far from 11,000 rpm.

What kind of rpm readings are you all getting from for saito 4/stroke enighes.

Thanks, Jim

bobhammerhead 04-10-2012 04:56 AM

Sbrackets, I would try a 14x5. I have good luck running that on my magnum 70. It will allow the rpm to come up without pulling the plane too fast. Here's a link to a video of mine flying with that combo.
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69x925ZJaqQ&feature=channel[/link]

witooa 04-30-2012 09:55 PM

Hi I am looking at the Hanger9 DV11 to But only have a Saito72, dose not have the same power as the OS70 (I think) that's right? would the saito 72 be ok for scale flying the Fokker DVll ? Cheers & beers witooa.

Azzir325 05-01-2012 02:43 AM

I think it will do the job just fine.

sbrackets 05-01-2012 05:16 AM

I plan on making my maiden flight sooooon. Gonna balance her tonight and adjust the throws in the radio per the manual. Running a Saito .82 4/stroke GK. She sure is a beauty. Will get video of the maiden flight and i will post a link here on the group. So stay tuned.

Jim

Azzir325 05-01-2012 04:44 PM

Best of luck!

sbrackets 05-25-2012 03:26 AM

I believe today is the day for my Maiden flight. Just been waiting for the winds to cooperate. Will try to get some video also.

Jim

Jaybird 05-25-2012 08:05 AM

Good luck! It's a nice flying plane and looks great in the air. Just remember on landing to keep flying it until it's completely stopped. I've had several landings when I got caught up in watching it that before I knew it there it went over on it's back! "Scale Landing" is a familiar phrase from the peanut gallery watching!

Jaybird

sbrackets 05-25-2012 10:55 AM

Will do Jaybird. Thanks for the advise. The weather is still holding up, so it 's looking like a GO!! for launch.

Jim

Jaybird 05-25-2012 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Jaybird

All the details look great, guys. Keep the ideas coming!

Flew this morning for our club camera/video guy and he sent some nice shots and a video is at the KVMA website at the bottom of the 2008 video page under the ''Fall'' section.

http://www.modelaviators.org/2008/Videos/2008Videos.htm

or here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928856

Great flying plane. I'm having more frequent landing issues since I increased the elevator up travel so it has to be used with judgment and skill..two things I lack!

Jaybird

A video of mine can be found at the links above.

Let us know how it goes!

Jaybird

sbrackets 05-26-2012 04:09 AM

Hey Jaybird

Nice video you have of yours, I on the other hand have nice video too!!! Yes my maiden when off without a hitch. No wind to speak of and so all the conditions were right for a maiden flight.

I will edit the video hopefully today and will post it here for you guys to see. The flight was fun, just had to adjust my down trim three clicks, and left trim about 5 or 6 clicks. The takeoff was easy and so was the landing. She's really pretty in the air. That blue really shows up good.

Stay tuned for the video.

Jim

Jaybird 05-26-2012 04:21 AM

Congratulations on a successful maiden, Jim. I find the white square on the top wing to be the best identifying piece of covering for orientation.

Looking forward to your video as well!

Jaybird

sbrackets 05-26-2012 07:57 AM

Video is up!
Hope you all like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfS7fxRYMcw

Jim

t57f100 05-26-2012 08:44 AM

awesome i have been watching all your post and it reminded me of my build these guys are awesome what a journey huh and this bird is awesome in the sky congrats

Jaybird 05-26-2012 01:16 PM

Terrific! Thanks for sharing.

Jaybird

sbrackets 05-26-2012 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Guys! I also have some still shots that I was going to upload here as well, but RCU must be having server problems again. Photos won't upload at this time. Might try later.

Jim

Jaybird 05-27-2012 03:52 AM

You may have stated this already, but where did you get/make that propeller?

Jaybird

sbrackets 05-27-2012 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jaybird

I'm using a "NEW" Xoar 13x6 WWI Scimitar Prop that I purchased last week at the Joe Nall event. I got to see it first hand fron the Xoar vendor tent. They make another style of WWI prop that is darker in color with what looks like it brass tips. But they were out of that model.

Glad you like.

Jim

Jaybird 05-27-2012 05:23 PM

Very nice! I've been hoping that they might eventually make them in a "smaller size" for us 1/6 scale flyers. I'll have to take a look.

Jaybird

rowdyjoe 06-19-2012 07:30 PM

Hi folks,
Very intersting and informative thread here. I've been reading steadily but, have only covered about 10 pages so far. It will take a while for me to read it all. This thread is a goldmine of info. on this bird and it will be my primary resource while building, modifying, and flying this beautiful bird.
I was given this ARF for father's day and am thoroughly pleased with it. I've stated construction today and it's going like clockwork. This is my first Hangar 9 model and I'm impressed with the quality of it.
Iwill be installing a Saito FA-80 four stroke on it and plan to use the Xoar Scimitar or Lance prop. I can't decide between the two but, which ever one I choose will be a 13x6. I may go with a longer prop if I think the engine will handle it.
Thanks for posting your experiences here for everyone to learn from. I appreciate it very much.

RJ
Arlington, TX
AMA
IMAC
Ft. Worth Thunderbirds

Azzir325 06-20-2012 02:24 AM

RJ, Happy Father's day and congratulations on acquiring this kit as it is rare and getting rarer since Hangar 9 unbelievably discontinued it. Keep us posted on your progress!
Rick

sbrackets 06-20-2012 03:17 AM

Hello Rowdydog
Congrats on the fathers day Fokker, I know you will love this plane. So Will your fellow pilot buddies.

Get a load on this. I walked into my favorite HS last week only to find a H9 Fokker DVII hanging up. The store manager said that the plane came in a hour ago and they just got in hung up. I asked him how much since they didn't even have the price tag on it yet.

He said $275.00, I said WHAT!!! $275. Came with Saito 82 and all digital servos. HUMMMMMM!! With out much more hesitation I told him I'll take it. I knew this plane would go FAST. Yes I already had one but heck, At that price and besides there hard to find I placed it on layaway for now .Will go back next week to pick it up.

Since then the HS has called me asking if I really still want the Fokker as he has had people coming into the shop begging him for this plane. I told him YES! I want this plane. See Hangar 9, ya'll messed up by discontinuing this aircraft. There are people who would really love to have this plane. Maybe H9 will bring it back some day.

Jim