RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Spoiler/Big Boy family and friends (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/7171427-spoiler-big-boy-family-friends.html)

WILDCRASHWILLY 03-04-2008 12:04 AM

Spoiler/Big Boy family and friends

1 Attachment(s)
This thread was lost earlier today during the upgrade at RCU so I thought I would start it again, Thanks to Randy Racer for the title. This is a close thread to the Jerry's bigboy thread but since the Spoiler is an improved version we thought we would start this thread so we can talk about both planes and our activities with those planes and pilots. I'm going to start off by posting pics of my Spoiler which was built by me from one of Jerry's early version plans. It is a great flyer. This thread is a evolution from the thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...66/key_/tm.htm

randy racer 03-04-2008 09:07 AM

RE: Spoiler/Big Boy family and friends

1 Attachment(s)
finally a thread we can use to help each other with the few Jerry's Big Boys out there and the soon to be Spoilers arf . we also hope for this to be a place for the friendships that have been made on the JBB thread to keep growing by being able to talk with each other and stay in touch.
most of you know that the Jerry's Big boy my Morris Hobbies is no longer being built. it was a truely great flying sport/trainer/ wild as you can stand fun fly plane. the good news is that Jerry L Smith has beed working on and flying a much improved version called the spoiler for the last few years. he has also offered plans for those out there who are real builders, but us non builders had to have someone build for us or buy a used spoiler to enjoy one as i have done.
NOW THE EVEN BETTER NEWS......Chris at EastRc tells us there will soon be a Spoiler ARF so all of us that don't have time/skill/place to build can get in on the fun. hopfully chris will come on here and keep us filled in on the progress.

here are a few more pics to get this thing started, the blue one is a JBB belonging to nogyro, the orange and white is my spoiler i bought from tim garland(great builder), the white spoiler is the spoilermans(great builder with mad flying skills). please post your pics here too.

randy racer

East RC 03-04-2008 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: randy racer
NOW THE EVEN BETTER NEWS......Chris at EastRc tells us there will soon be a Spoiler ARF so all of us that don't have time/skill/place to build can get in on the fun. hopfully chris will come on here and keep us filled in on the progress.

randy racer
That's right folks, It's on the way and this is where we will be dropping all of the info as it comes along. Hang on tight........you're in for a ride!

randy racer 03-04-2008 09:57 AM

thanks for jumping in here chris, is there any news on the proto types yet? you know barnesracing will be on here later asking. haha!

rr

WILDCRASHWILLY 03-04-2008 10:05 AM

I see the images are still not working correctly. I heard some hacker was messing with RCU. I wish the low lifes would leave them alone so that we modelers can have a place to talk about our hobby.

randy racer 03-04-2008 10:07 AM

they are working here for me.

rr

East RC 03-04-2008 10:14 AM

thanks for jumping in here chris, is there any news on the proto types yet? you know barnesracing will be on here later asking. haha!

rr

Nothing new yet, but don't worry...you guys will be the FIRST to know. Once they get here I guarantee that within 3 minutes I will be posting the good news :) and probably a picture of my Brother kissing the delivery guy, as scary as that sounds....I'm sure it will look even worse. Hehehe

East RC 03-04-2008 10:15 AM

they are working here for me.

rr

LOL

randy racer 03-04-2008 10:39 AM

don't worry chris we are not in any hurry to see the proto types so take your time. we will be asking about them again i a day or two.[sm=lol.gif]

randy

WILDCRASHWILLY 03-04-2008 12:22 PM

I noticed the images are working good now. Thanks RCU

Nogyro 03-04-2008 12:44 PM

Ok, I'm subscribed to this new thread, now all I need is a Spoiler! Hummmmmmm......so many planes needed, so little time. [:@]

randy racer 03-04-2008 07:30 PM

frank your cool with the big boy and you can always add a spoiler to the fleet later this year.:D

rr

dg512055 03-05-2008 11:38 PM

OK I'm here. My Big Boy is still going strong. Can't wait to get hold of it some more. I'll be waiting for a Spoiler soon. By the way, my Outlaw is almost complete. I just got the OS 32 and pipe today. Other notes: we are trying to get a meeting with the Parks and Conservation Board here to convince them to allow us remove our pine trees. We have swayed a couple of officials and have some arrangements standing by. We just need official permission to proceed with our plan. We hope to get the meeting next week sometime. I will keep you posted.

spoiler-man 03-06-2008 10:37 AM

Spoilers, Spoilers and more Spoilers noone can get enough spoilers. I was trying to think how many I have built since about 2000. Let me think I have built 7 regulator and one mini size since then. Don't have digital pics of all but here are a few.

spoiler-man 03-06-2008 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't know where the pics went so I will try again.

spoiler-man 03-06-2008 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here are a couple more.

East RC 03-06-2008 06:06 PM

Awesome pics, SPOILER-MAN!

yellodog 03-06-2008 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
May as well add a couple more pics. I have built two regular size spoilers, two mid wing spoilers and one mid size spoiler

JohnMcGowan 03-06-2008 10:22 PM

I have subscibed to this thread. Thanks guys and please keep us posted on when the spoiler arrives. Whats the general thnking on the engine size being used ?
John

randy racer 03-06-2008 10:57 PM

most of us use the OS 160 fx on the spoilers but some have used the 120ax on the lighter builds. i always use the 160fx and love way to much power:D.

rr

RCAddiction 03-06-2008 10:58 PM

What does a Spoiler weigh typically with a 160FX?

randy racer 03-06-2008 11:03 PM

all spoilers so far have been built from plans and what i have seen is from 9.5 lbs to 10lbs. i hope the arfs come in around 9lbs.

rr

RCAddiction 03-06-2008 11:07 PM

Thanks! My JBB kit (not ARF) weighs 10lbs with a lightened G23. I plan to put my Wolf 1.8(30cc) into the Spoiler. Same weight as the G23 but more power.

randy racer 03-06-2008 11:11 PM

lee, the jbb is around 7.5 to 8 lbs with a 120ax i think, so the spoiler with your set up would be a little heavy at 12 lbs with the same wing size as the jbb. it would still fly but not like a spoiler should and can. but if you give it a try keep us posted please.

rr

RCAddiction 03-06-2008 11:16 PM

all up, my Wolf weighs only 6 oz more than a 160FX w/stock muffler and motor mount. And I need to carry less fuel. I will let you know when I complete it.