RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   DAVE PATRICK ULTIMATE 120 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/7215457-dave-patrick-ultimate-120-a.html)

mbrennan1 03-12-2008 07:32 PM

DAVE PATRICK ULTIMATE 120

I just purchased a used Ultimate 120 made by Dave Patrick. What a beautiful plane It is powered bt a Saito 180. I can't wait to fly it. I had to replace the receiver and battery. I need some help. Does any one know what the CG is for this plane? I have looked every where and can't find it. I even ordered an instruction manual from Dave Patrick about 6 weeks ago and haven't got it yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike

Hill202 03-12-2008 07:36 PM

RE: DAVE PATRICK ULTIMATE 120

You won't be receiving a manual from DPM, they are no more!

gunfighterII 03-12-2008 07:39 PM

The range is 1/2" to 1-1/2" from the leading edge of the rear cabane.

This is the rear aluminum attachment point for the top wing.

He says start at 1-1/2" I was flying right in the middle. Great airplane!

krayzc-RCU 03-12-2008 07:59 PM

i had that plane and those babies fly great. I have a Satio 180 on it. I pulled that off and tried a RCS 1.4 gas motor and it was a dog. I had already sold the satio so i put a OS-160 on there and that is a powerfull set up. I pull that off and went with a zdz40 it was just alright. I think you will love this deal. I still love bipes now i have a 30% BG Ultimate and on the bld table a 46% H-9 Ultimate....

mbrennan1 03-13-2008 04:38 PM

Thanks guys!! I love these forums. If I understand this correctly, The CG is located under the top wind, 1/2" to 11/2" befind the rearward canbane(post where screw inserts to).
Thanks Again!!
Mike

gunfighterII 03-13-2008 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's 1/2" to 1-1/2" forward of the leading edge of the cabane.

Here's a picture,

Bdegan 03-14-2008 01:17 PM

My first official post here.
Might sound like a stupid question, but.....
Do you balance with the wings on or off ?
Also, do you balance using the top wing if they are left on or...do you invert the plane and balance using the lower wing ?

I am looking to buy a used one from a local guy, thats why I ask.
Thanks

gunfighterII 03-14-2008 01:30 PM

Planes are balanced with everything attached, empty fuel tank.

On this plane it's best to use the top, as it's easier.

mbrennan1 03-16-2008 07:10 AM

Once again, thanks for the info.I got the plane balanced. with the new battry. Had to move it back slightly.
One more question. Could you give me the recommended control throws for both Hi and Low Rates? I have no manual and can not find the specs online. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike

gunfighterII 03-16-2008 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was hoping you would catch my post about the CG, I did'nt want you to try and fly with it balanced behind the cabane.[X(]

Here's your specs,

mbrennan1 03-16-2008 08:13 AM

Thanks. Hopefully I will fly later this afternoon depending on wind speed. I was close to the throws, but I was way off on the expo. I was suprised to see positive expo on low rates. I have never used positive expo on any od my planes. Thanks,
Mike

Bdegan 03-16-2008 07:03 PM

gunfitterII
Thanks for the info, I purchased one complete today, with a Saito 150 in it at a swap meet.
The guy forgot the manual, but is going to mail it to me.
Any other tips to offer ?
Thanks

gunfighterII 03-17-2008 05:01 AM

Bdegan,
About the only thing I did to the plane was beef up the firewall a bit with some tri stock. Originally I had a YS 140L in the plane and had so much trouble with it I had to replace it with a O.S.160 FX.

I used all the stock hardware, and it held up great through 300 flights. I would swap out the CA hinges if I had a new one though and use Robarts.

The plane is an excellent flyer, very fast and very quick, yet when landing it's very docile and will glide much better than most bipes.

I've flown the Ultimate with a Saito 180 and it is a perfect fit for the plane, stump pulling power. With the 160 it is a bit faster with a bit less verticle. I'm also running a Perry pump on mine due to the pitts muffler.

The 150 should be fine if your not into any 3D stuff. I would also spend money on good servo's to maximize it's potential.

Can I ask what you gave for the plane?

Bdegan 03-17-2008 06:01 AM

Sent you a PM

PJacobs 03-20-2008 09:18 AM

Just noticed Dave Patrick models will have a booth at Toledo #240 aisle H for the 2008 show.

mimoore67 03-20-2008 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: PJacobs

Just noticed Dave Patrick models will have a booth at Toledo #240 aisle H for the 2008 show.
Oh, that's going to be interesting!

OldRookie 03-20-2008 12:47 PM

gunfighterII,

What kind of problems did you have with the YS140L?
Was the engine running poorly, or did the engine cause problems with the airframe?
I have a new Patrick Ultimate, and was going to put the YS140L in it.

Greg

gunfighterII 03-20-2008 03:31 PM

Greg,
The 140L had it's share of problems, I'm not sure if it affected all of them or just a few.

The problem began right at the start, the engine would start just fine, be running nice and rich for about 2-3 minutes and then all of a sudden the smoke trail would cut out from the exhaust for no apparent reason, then it would overheat and quit. This happened on the test stand on the first run and on the next three runs. Even with a perfectly balanced prop the engine was shaking violently.
After about 5 runs and alot of tuning on the needle and regulator, I thought I had it running half way decent and installed it in the plane, took it out and test flew it, of course after 3 minutes the smoke stopped and the engine quit. After replacing a bunch of parts including the regulator diaphram and having several YS experts look at it and try there hand at tuning it, we came to the conclusion to send it back.
I had a buddy who offered me a Patrick 40 size Ultimate with a O.S. pumped 91 4 stroke on it for the 140L, of course I jumped all over this offer, he sent it in, but I'm not sure of the outcome.
I heard about some issues they had with it in regards to the piston and or piston ring, but it's been awhile so I not positive about this, I would do a search on the engine and see what you can find.
The few flights I did have where it ran fine for the entire flight, the engine was a real powerhouse, perfect for the plane.

b40sw 03-25-2008 11:55 AM

theres going to be a long line of villagers with pitchforks and torches!

skyracer068 04-04-2008 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: PJacobs

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! If you anyone is going to the Toledo show, please ask him what his future plans are and let me know. I have the ultimate and the extra and am in need of replacement parts. Thank you for your time.

Mooney 04-04-2008 07:36 PM

I'm at the Toledo show now. I talked to the fellow in the Dave Patrick booth and he informed me that Cermark bought all the rights to Dave Patrick Models and they will be getting in new inventory and will have replacement parts.
Jerry

stevenchao 04-09-2008 05:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

We will try our best in making previous parts available. However, it may be logistically impossible to have all previous parts for previous models available. We are in the initial process with Dave and the vendors trying to make this transition as painless as possible. It will have to be a business decision. In the future, Dave will focus on creative aspect of design, QC portion of production, and teaching portion of flying for DPM . As for service and logistics, we are in the process of setting up. Please give us approximately 30-40 days integrating telephone, email and website.

As for the DPM items, here are the plan;
a) Available now
MAX adhesive - made in USA, thin / medium / thick with special patented cap in 20g and 50g sizes
Ultra Tailwheel - Wire and Leaf style versions in small, medium and large sizes (with limited quantity on hand).

b) Available in 60 days
MAX adhesive - made in USA, thick foam safe CA in 20g and 50g sizes
MAX accelerator for CA

c) Availabe in 4-6 months
Super Piper Cub - Vero Beach version in yellow Ultracote

d) In discussion
Clipped Wing Piper Cub - with racing strips in white base Ultracote
Blue head engines

If you have any suggestion or special requests for me, you can email me directly at [email protected]. So let me know what we are getting ourselves into.

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
(562) 906-0808

HUNTERANDJEFF 04-14-2008 10:32 AM

That is really nice to know. I have wanted one of those super cubs for a long time now on floats. Guess I will have to wait another year.
Jeff

Hobs 09-22-2008 10:48 PM

Just bought a DP Ultimate with Saito 180 and stump pulling power is right. I do have a concern about both wings not balancing. They both are heavy on the right side. Didn't get a manual so not sure what to make of this. Trims out OK and flies great though.

mbrennan1 09-23-2008 04:27 PM

As long as it flies straight, I would not worry about it.

mike