RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Extreme Flight RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/727265-extreme-flight-rc.html)

wgeffon 04-27-2003 11:30 PM

Extreme Flight RC

I had the opportunity today to meet Chris Hinson President of Extreme Flight Rc
at the CCRC field in northwest Atlanta.
He brought two of the new planes his company is producing.
87” Yak. And the 65” Extra.
Kevin Hamilton and his son Patrick had with them a profile Edge that Chris’ company is producing.

First impressions of these planes was how well built and covered they were. Very nice schemes on all three planes. The construction is EXTREMELY light and well done.
There is no overbuilding on them at all. At one point Patrick showed me the canopy hatch on the 65” extra. Just some sticks and foam. You cant put a twist in it if you tried the structure was very rigid. I picked up the wing panels on each plane and all of them were lighter than anything I have seen in that class. All of the panels are built up wood.
The stabs on the Yak are removable. And what was really nice to see was that the wing panels on the profile are also removable making it super easy to get into a vehicle.

Kevin and Patrick let me have a go at the Profile Edge. This plan has a Saito 1.00 in it.
I don’t remember what they said the weight on this plane was but it flies VERY light.
The huge surfaces make throwing it around in any attitude very easy.
Chris had told me that medium rate elevator was better for high alpha but I had forgotten that.
It had a little rocking to it but as soon as I got it
into medium rate it locked in really nicely. High alpha rolls were almost too fast but once
you get used to the timing on the rudder it was great. There was just a touch of pitch
coupling in knife edge to the belly but Chris and Kevin both said that when the plane was
new it had zero. In reality, compared to other profiles out there it was much better than
anything I have flown in that aspect. I guess this one had had some minor damage to it
the other day and they said it couples a little more now. I still didn’t think it was bad.
The Saito 1.00 seemed perfect in it. 1/3 power or less for hovers and TR’s. Rocket
climb outs.
I am sure when these planes start hitting the market there will be people putting huge
motors in them but IMO it doesn’t need anything more than what I saw today. They are
built light and are designed to fly light. Heavier motors are just going to kill the
performance.

Chris then flew the Yak. That boy can FLY! Wow was my first impression. He is very precise and made that plane look awesome in the air. He did some very aggressive blenders with it and it was winding up pretty good. Chris even blips the throttle on it on the down line to keep a good amount of speed up as he enters it. Really cool to watch and the plane loved it.

I got to try it out a little bit later and it’s an unbelievable flier with a DA-50. I think Chris said it weighed just under 15 lbs RTF. That puts the wing loading somewhere around 24 oz/sqft. Try and find a plane out there right now that is even close to that….
You wont.
Snaps are super crisp with NO over rotation, Down lines have very consistent speed with very little build up. Knife edge had almost no coupling at all. I figured it had already been mixed out. I found out later that there isn’t any mixing in it at all. Very nice!
3D with it is lots of fun with the combination of light wing loading and a DA-50.
Basically, I couldn’t find anything I disliked about the plane. Well, maybe that it wasn’t mine…
Same holds true for this plane as I said about the profile. Guys will stick huge motors in them but its just not needed. The extra weight of an 80cc motor will ruin it IMO.

Chris flew the 65" Extra once and it also looked like it did very well with the new YS 1.10 in it.

I took lots of pictures today but am not at home till Thursday. I will post them that night.

Thanks again to Chris for letting me try his stuff out. Also thanks to Kevin and Patrick for letting me fly the profile and the Fiberclassics Extra...

Shortman 04-28-2003 01:09 AM

Extreme Flight RC

Man! Sounds to good to be true. Looks like I might have to buy a plane from them.

Pugsley-RCU 04-28-2003 01:39 AM

Wayne.....

Told you that boy could fly and design planes.....

Pugs

Eruption 04-28-2003 01:43 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics of the YAK today......

Eruption 04-28-2003 01:43 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
Another....

mightychuck 04-28-2003 02:24 AM

Extreme Flight RC

Great to hear Wayne. Did Chris say when he'd be taking orders?
I've got a AW Edge 90 size i haven't built yet. Thinking about selling it & getting that 65" extra instead... :)
Nice pics Eruption. Any more?

Alan

wgeffon 04-28-2003 02:43 AM

Extreme Flight RC

You can order anytime.
Chris said hes hoping for June deliveries.

14th_Reaper 04-28-2003 02:46 AM

Extreme Flight RC

I have a CG Sukhoi in the smaller size and of course my GP Extra, but I have been drooling over that Yak, and now to see it in flight, excuse me, gotta get a new drool bucket. I may have to have one!!

wgeffon 04-28-2003 09:24 AM

Extreme Flight RC

Kevin,
I have flown both the GP Extra and the CG Sukhoi and they are both really good airplanes.
The Yak is definately on a different level though. Its a serious competition plane for both IMAC type of flying and Freestyle/3D.
You wont be dissapointed.

SMALLFLY- 04-28-2003 11:21 AM

Extreme Flight RC

Man it sure is depressing to see and hear about great planes I want but cant have yet.
especially that Yak. A BME 50 is sitting on my shelf waiting for a yak 54. A 91fx is sitting waiting on the 60"edge FF. Come on chris, get that slow boat from china Mooovin... :D

T28pilot 04-28-2003 01:11 PM

Extreme Flight RC

I'm ordering mine now!

EXTREME FLIGHT 04-28-2003 01:55 PM

Extreme Flight RC

I wish there was something I could do to get the planes here faster, but you can't rush these guys. They are already working 7am-11pm 7 days a week!
BTW, I really enjoyed meeting Wayne and spending the day putting the planes through their paces. Wayne is a super nice guy and a great pilot. Looking forward to hanging at the Internet Fly-in.

Columbo 04-28-2003 02:02 PM

Extreme Flight RC

How is the 3D performance of the 65" extra? Is it stable in high alpha maneuvers. Will an o.s. 108 two stroke give it unlimited?

Greg

ilrcflyboy 04-28-2003 05:10 PM

Extreme Flight RC

Just based on the sound of these planes from Wayne, my order will be in.

Paul Cataldo 04-28-2003 09:04 PM

Extreme Flight RC

Chris,
Really wish I could have made it, but work wouldn't allow.
Maybe we can set up a date for you to come out to our field this spring/summer. Definitely interested in your planes. Will be in touch man.

Hammbone 04-28-2003 09:50 PM

Extreme Flight RC

Hey Guys,
I was there yesterday also for a couple of hours and I agree with everything that has been said here about the Extreme Flight R/C planes. They really do seem to be designed right, from their light but sturdy construction, to the quality hardware that is included with the kits.
I used to think that it was not possible to have a good flying plane in the 50cc gas size range because they always come out too heavy, but my mind has been changed by seeing these planes fly. We can finally have a good flying plane with a gas engine that doesn't cost $4,000 or more.

I give a big thumbs up for Extreme Flight R/C.

Jim

WreckRman2 04-28-2003 10:35 PM

Extreme Flight RC

Chris is going to have the whole fleet at the Internet Fly-In in June... come see them fly. :D

T28pilot 04-29-2003 02:56 AM

Extreme Flight RC

Man i can't wait....JUNE?!!! thats what they told me for my funtanaS too!! damn i need some new planes ...now ...not June!! LOL oh well i guess i got to build a Qhor now....

Shortman 04-29-2003 03:37 AM

Extreme Flight RC

Work some overtime! hehehe, I wish I had a job so i could by all the planes I wanted... oh well, summer is coming

BBriBro 04-29-2003 02:38 PM

Re: Extreme Flight RC

Originally posted by wgeffon
I don’t remember what they said the weight on this plane was but it flies VERY light.
The huge surfaces make throwing it around in any attitude very easy.
Chris had told me that medium rate elevator was better for high alpha but I had forgotten that.

Can someone compare these profiles to the Kyosho FLIP ?? I am on the list for the 87" Yak, but I want something smaller and sooner too. I sold my U-Can-Do, It was not for me, I like the FLIP better, and it's the same price as the Extreme flight profiles, and available immediately, Has someone flown both, that can convince me it will be worth the wait? After flying a FLIP the other day, I was much more impressed than with the U-Can-Do for 3D.

Hammbone 04-29-2003 04:08 PM

Extreme Flight RC

I own and fly a Flip 3D.
I have not flown the Extreme Flight R/C profiles, but I've seen one fly. I would say that the Extreme Flight R/C profile flew just as good or maybe better than the Flip 3D. I'm sure that each plane has its good points and maybe one plane can do a certain manuever a little better than the other.
I did notice that the Extreme Flight R/C profile seemed to lock into high alpha flight pretty good where my Flip 3D doesn't lock in like that.
They are comparable in price and I'm sure you would enjoy either one. I'm no 3D expert or anything and this is just MHO so take it for what it's worth.

Jim

Ground Zero-RCU 04-30-2003 11:38 PM

65" Extra

I talked to Chris today about the 65" Extra, as I have a Saito 100 that needs a home, and placed a order for one. He is a great guy to deal with! Hope June comes around fast.... I need a new project.

Mike

Columbo 05-01-2003 01:09 AM

Extreme Flight RC

Are you saying the 65" extra won't be available til June?

Greg

wgeffon 05-01-2003 01:51 AM

Extreme Flight RC

Greg,

That is correct.

wgeffon 05-02-2003 12:28 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics I took on Sunday.

Inside of the Yak.

wgeffon 05-02-2003 12:30 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
Yak.

wgeffon 05-02-2003 12:31 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
Profile Edge.

wgeffon 05-02-2003 12:32 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
Tail on the P-Edge

wgeffon 05-02-2003 12:33 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
Inside view of the P-Edge. Not a great picture but you can see the light construction.

wgeffon 05-02-2003 12:35 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
Hatch removed on the P-Edge.
Yes, the tank is included.

wgeffon 05-02-2003 12:35 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
65" Extra.

wgeffon 05-02-2003 12:37 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
Hatch on the 65" Extra

wgeffon 05-02-2003 12:38 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
Inside shot of the 65" Extra

wgeffon 05-02-2003 12:39 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
Wing tip shot of the 65" Extra

wgeffon 05-02-2003 12:41 AM

Extreme Flight RC

1 Attachment(s)
One more of the Yak.

Shortman 05-02-2003 01:10 AM

Extreme Flight RC

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???????????? :( you know I don't have any money! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Columbo 05-02-2003 01:20 AM

Extreme Flight RC

Love the looks of that YAK. Maybe I can talk my wife into getting me one for a christmas present.

Greg

ilrcflyboy 05-02-2003 01:46 AM

Awesome

Things of absolute beauty. Thanks for sharing the pics.

wgeffon 05-02-2003 01:49 AM

Extreme Flight RC

What doesnt show up in the pics is that the black on the P-Edge is actually the Carbon Fiber looking covering.

jldecarlo 05-02-2003 03:13 AM

Extreme Flight RC

What does the bottom of the P-edge look like?

Leonard