RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite AT6 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8132639-top-flite-at6-arf.html)

groundpounder17 05-17-2009 11:13 PM

RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

Hi everyone!  It's been very hectic here lately as I've been moving and it's been flooding.  I haven't had an opportunity to start my texan project yet, but will begin soon.  I am still gathering parts and was hoping for some advice.  I'm building the top flite at6 texan and will be using a ys 110s  controlled by a dx7.  I will be replacing the gears with robart 618's and the deluxe std air control kit.  I was going to pick up some more spektrum ds821 servos to use but have heard some very bad things about them lately. <div>What would you recommend for a good servo to use? I believe the spektrum receiver uses a JR type plug, is this correct?  </div><div>What would be the best onboard battery recommendation. </div><div>I plan on using a tettra clunk tank and was wanting to use the 20 oz tank with mm dimenisions of <span style="border-collapse: collapse; font-size: 13px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 2px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 2px; ">70x65x164.  This is almost 3/4" longer than stock, but I believe I can make it fit.  </span>I am wanting to reinforce the gear rail, firewall, and above flap area using zap finishing resin and milled fiberglass.  Does anyone have any recommendations on strengthening the gear rail?</div>

jet22b 05-18-2009 10:34 AM

groundpounder17,

In my AT-6 Texan, I am using the Futaba S3003's servos and they work fine. I have a set of ds821 servos in my 61 power Nitro Plane Extra 300 S and I am happy with them, but from my use of these ds821 servos in my 50 power helicopter, they are no good!! I lost a helicopter in flight when two of the 821 fail in flight. Yes the spektrum receiver will take the JR or Futaba type plug. On the fuel tank, remember the tank sit on a tray with the battery for the receiver is below the tank. Check to make sure you can seat the wings with your new tank in place.!!
Zap finishing resin and milled fiberglass should be good for reinforcing!!
Stay safe and I hope the flooding will not get to you and your family!!
You will love this plane!!!

Sonny

flyermark 05-18-2009 10:47 AM

I am using Hitec 475s for the control surfaces in my Texan .  No problems.  I have DS821s in my Funtana X 50 and my Sundowner 50 with no problems in either plane.</p>

BTW - my issue with my retracts was NOT the retact itself but rather the attachment at the servo arm which broke.  A new, HD servo arm is now in place.  I believe the issue was caused by my inadvertant retraction of the gear while on the ground which included an attempt to quickly cycle them back down once I realized what I had done.  It must have had a crack in it and when I hand checked and cycled the gear it was ok.   Once I recycled them again at the field ( and DIDN"T hand check them to make sure they were locked this time) the right side must not have locked.   A painful lesson to my wallet at a bad time economically but you learn from your mistakes.  I have learned from this one which is my first retract plane.   Live and learn.</p>

Bottom line, my issue was NOT due to Top Flite parts.  The retract itself and the wires are still perfect.  No cracks and straight.  I felt it appropriate for me to clarify the situation not that I have done my investigation.</p>

Happy and safe flying to all.</p>

maddieone 05-18-2009 02:53 PM

My two pennies:

I use both Hitech 645MG's and Futaba 3305 servos. I like them both and have not had a failure to date. I found that I had to cut the flange from the top of the connector on the Futaba's to getthem tofit into the DX7 receiver.

jet22b 05-18-2009 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: maddieone

My two pennies:

I use both Hitech 645MG's and Futaba 3305 servos. I like them both and have not had a failure to date. I found that I had to cut the flange from the top of the connector on the Futaba's to getthem tofit into the DX7 receiver.
maddieone,

Thank you. I forgot to tell groundpounder about the flange on the Futaba connector!!

Sonny

groundpounder17 05-18-2009 10:18 PM

Thanks for all of the help everyone!  I have decided on using hitec digital servos, the 5625s I believe.  I'm trying to figure out which would be the best battery for  this application and am seriously considering the Venom 5 cell 6V 3000 mAh found here  <div>www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&amp;I=LXVHY4&amp;P=7.  This battery weighs in at 9.8 oz which is a little heavy for my liking.  Does anyone have a better recommendation or do most of you feel that this isn't too bad? Any experience with venom batteries?</div>

TomTreese 05-19-2009 07:47 AM

I use 1100 MAh 4.8v Nicads from Battaries America. for $18.00 in all my planes. .  You don't need the speed of a 6V pack in a AT-6.</p>

It's interesting how many pilots use 6v NiMh packs for speed in their servos then add 60% expo???:eek:</p>

Has anyone received the new Retract gear from Tower???   Or a new plane with the new gear???</p>

swixtt 05-19-2009 08:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

we don't use the 6v for speed... at least i don't. i still have original Spek Rx.

here is my highly modified TFHarvard. getting close to finishing this one off.

OK... it's not the ARF, it's the kit version they made originally:) they don't make them anymore but i managed to find one last year to build during the winter.

jet22b 05-19-2009 01:54 PM

swixtt,

That is a very sweet looking AT-6 Texan!!! I wish they made the kits again. I miss the winter building!!! Thanks for sharing the pictures and please post more when the plane is finish!!!

Sonny

maddieone 05-19-2009 04:32 PM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%">groundpounder17,

You don't need digital servos for this airplane or 6 volt batteries. The digitals were brought out for the 3D folks especially helicopters. Earlier I suggested two brands of servos that are both reasonably priced and very dependable. I am running those in a quarter scale Extra 300 and in 60 and 120 size airplanes and the biggest battery that I use is 1500 mah Ni-Cd.

Team,

I sent my gear back to Hobbico, I spoke to that on a previous page, and the set they sent me look just like the ones I had. During the process Sonny mentioned that the new ones were not available yet. So in short I don't have a clue as whether or not I was sent the new gear.</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%">Swixtt,</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; line-height: 115%">That is one good looking airplane.Great job.

Curt</span></div>

jet22b 05-19-2009 06:48 PM

Hi Team;

I just left Tower website and they have a limit supply of the AT-6 Texan retract in stock. They did not say if these are the upgrade retract.
Here is the link!!
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXVCJ2&amp;P=Z

Take a look and see what you think!!

Sonny

TomTreese 05-19-2009 09:24 PM

Interesting.   I have a set on backorder from Hobby Services to replace the set that broke.  It will be interesting to see if they send me a set out of the present supply and if they have a stronger box???</p>

If they do I will check them out vs. the old type.  I am still going to use the metal box I designed to install them.   I'm not going to take a chance of tearing up the wing with a broken gear box.    If they work I'll let you all know and make them available.</p>

maddieone 05-20-2009 07:21 AM

Sonny,

Really dificult looking at the photo, but they look like the set that came with the plane and the set they sent me when I returned the originals. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/confused.gif

Curt

TomTreese 05-20-2009 07:54 AM

Until someone get's a set from the latest shipment we won't be sure??  I  doubt they will change the picture on the product page since the change would be in the material used.</p>

I should get mine soon if they fill the backorders first??</p>

p-80 05-20-2009 09:24 PM

would it be feasable to cram in a saito 170  i wouldnt care if the cyleders stuck out the cowls

jet22b 05-20-2009 10:17 PM

p-80,

May I ask why you want that much power?? This airplane fly so sweet on the OS 91 4 stroke.!!

Sonny

groundpounder17 05-20-2009 11:41 PM

Wow! And to think I was worried about the ys 110 being to big.  If I was doing that I think I would have to baptise my plane in alcohol thinned epoxy. I would be too worried to be able to have any fun with that. Best of luck and keep us informed with how that goes!  I've just about got everything purchased for my build and am considering starting a new thread.  The only thing I don't have is a battery.  I'm still doing a quite a bit of moving so it may be a little while longer before I get started.  Maybe a couple of weeks.  I've really learned quite a bit in this thread and really appreciate all of your advice.  Would I post the new thread in the ARF section? 

swixtt 05-21-2009 12:24 AM

i would post up on this thread.... just so we can all see the progress. just my .02

tagore 05-21-2009 10:45 AM

i picked up this atf a couple weeks ago after my Tiger 60 came to an untimely end. I had a n os 61 in it and was looking for an atf i could put it in.I have it finished and it looks great.But after readingthis forumi got worried about the landing gear. SoI order the robarts to replace and will get that in this weekend. The plane weights the same as by tiger did and the Os 61 pulled it great so I am not concerned about the power. i will let you know if i get a chance to get her up this weekend. Nice thing about the 61 is withthe in cowl muffler was able to get the whole engine conceled.

RVator 05-21-2009 10:55 AM

P-80's Saito 170 would sound cool on a T-6. I doubt if it is as strong as a YS 1.10. The prop range is 15x8 to 16x8. I know a YS will turn a 16x6 9900 rpm.

p-80 05-21-2009 02:32 PM

hmm i know  not purly in it for speed dont get me wrong tho ys would be nice ive never owned a radial this is a plane that i feel looks good enough to deserve one is all and itd probly scoot too if its doable </p>

</p>

p-80 05-21-2009 02:36 PM

its a somewhat heavy engine producesthe power of a 120 size itd be interesting </p>

</p>

TomTreese 05-22-2009 06:36 PM

I just received my replacement retracts for the AT-6 from Hobby Services.  </p>

I don't see any difference from the old set.  The case is still plastic and  doesn't look any stronger.  [:o]</p>

I will mount it inside my metal case and if it works I'll post some pictures on this thread.</p>

p-80 05-22-2009 07:16 PM

are there any retracts that will work with oleos for this plane the texan gear has allot of foward sweep so typical robostruts i dont think would work unless they had a custom retract specificly for this plane

cstevenpeterson 05-22-2009 09:55 PM

Century Jet makes them for the kit version - not sure if they will fit the ARF....

Steve