RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite AT6 ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8132639-top-flite-at6-arf.html)

badazzgti03 02-22-2012 01:04 PM

RE: Top Flite AT6 ARF

hey everyone!!! I see a few familiar screen names in here.
whats up Sonny!!!!

well I'm still working on my TF 310 but i did pick one of these TF AT6 from tower with a Magnum FS91 4 stroke. I have pretty much finished the build and I can agree with everyone on here about the retracts that are included with this. Plan on getting the Robarts with the robostruts in the near future. I want to change up somethings to this beside the retracts but don't know what???I do love to modify considering i do it to my cars..RC cars and aircraft.
I am also a native to the MD area. I fly outta the Walt Good Model airfield in Germantown.

jet22b 02-22-2012 01:31 PM

What up badazzgti03,
You will love flying this bird. One mod you will need on tthis bird is a set of metal gear box that are made by TomTreese for this bird. If you read back in this thread, you will see people having big problem with the gear ripping out on landing, even if you do a smooth landing. Send him a pm and see if he have some in-stock. This plane do love the four stroke and with the sound, people will stop flying just to watch!!! I also went with the Robarts gear and the metal gear boxs from Tom and have over 80 landing on my AT-6.
If you need any help, just post!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

badazzgti03 02-22-2012 01:46 PM

Awesome Thanks Sonny I will definitely hit him up for those gear boxes. I Have not maiden mine yet but soon I will....

Jon

badazzgti03 03-08-2012 06:43 AM

Got them gear boxes and I very happy with em.
By the way....has anyone ever used or wanted to carbon Fiber Di-noc wrap their airplane parts..like cowls, wing tips, flaps, canopy's spinners, etc. ??? i do that and ill post pics up of my work on my AT6 and Cessna 310. Ill be happy to wrap parts for people too.

jet22b 03-08-2012 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: badazzgti03

Got them gear boxes and I very happy with em.
By the way....has anyone ever used or wanted to carbon Fiber Di-noc wrap their airplane parts..like cowls, wing tips, flaps, canopy's spinners, etc. ??? i do that and ill post pics up of my work on my AT6 and Cessna 310. Ill be happy to wrap parts for people too.
Best money spent!!! Have fun with the AT-6, you will love it!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

badazzgti03 04-02-2012 10:45 AM

Has anyone installed an on board Glow system for the Texan?? you have install pics????

TomTreese 04-02-2012 11:40 AM

I have 12 planes and over 4500 flights and have never needed or used an onboard glow.

One problem I've seen with them is when you are are slowing down to land the glow kicks in and the idle speed picks up???? Not a good thing on a warbird without flaps!

I have a Sullivan remote glow on all my Warbirds and most 4-strokes under a cowl.

badazzgti03 04-02-2012 01:25 PM

I wasn't gonna connect it in with the throttle I am gonna put it on a separate channel....have a 7 channel radio and rx

badazzgti03 04-05-2012 12:40 PM

I guess i'm the only one doing this?

jet22b 04-05-2012 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I guess i'm the only one doing this?
badazzgti03;
Here is my setup of the on-board glow on the Texan. The third picture show you the backside of the unit. You will have to drill a hole through the firewall for the glow plug hookup. I love the setup and for me it give me a better low end on the OS 91. Now mines is run off the throttle channel. I hope this help my friend!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

jet22b 04-05-2012 02:01 PM

By the way, it's have it own battery setup!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

badazzgti03 04-06-2012 05:10 AM

awesome thanks sonny!!

I recently got the sonictronic Mcdanials on board blow system with battery built in. Going to install this weekend....will post some pics.

ton2di 04-06-2012 05:57 AM

Jon,

If you ever pass by near Laurel, let me know. I have this plane as well. We could fly formation at our field. (FSA)

Tony

badazzgti03 04-06-2012 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: ton2di

Jon,

If you ever pass by near Laurel, let me know. I have this plane as well. We could fly formation at our field. (FSA)

Tony

Ill be Down Tony I'm not that far from Laurel

jet22b 04-06-2012 04:52 PM

Jon,

Tony

Ill be Down Tony I'm not that far from Laurel
Hey Guys;
Back in the mid 80's I flew out of a small airport right outside of Laurel, Md. I forgot the name of the road that went right by the airport, but there was a sign that read, watch out for low flying airplane on the road. Do Laurel still have the horse track??
Sonny
aka
jet22b

ton2di 04-06-2012 05:06 PM

Sonny,

That airport that you're referring to might be Tipton or Freeway. BTW, I have had good luck with my AT-6 without a glow driver (OS91FSII). It just turned 2yrs old this month with over 150 flights. May our planes last a very long time!!!

Tony

jet22b 04-06-2012 06:04 PM

Sonny,

That airport that you're referring to might be Tipton or Freeway. BTW, I have had good luck with my AT-6 without a glow driver (OS91FSII). It just turned 2yrs old this month with over 150 flights. May our planes last a very long time!!!

Tony
Tony;
Thank you. The airport was Freeway. If I remember right, Tipton was Air Force. My AT-6 is on the charger for tomorrow. We will have a nice weekend for once and its warbird day for me!! HAve a great weekend Tony,
Sonny
aka
jet22b

TomTreese 04-07-2012 04:53 AM

All you AT-6 & Warbird pilots from Maryland and Virginia. My club Colonial Virginia Aeromodelers will be hosting Warbirds Over Williamsburg, WOW-IV, on June 2, 2012.
You can see our flyer on our website. http://cvarc.homestead.com/Index.html

It would be great to have several AT-6"s in a formation.

Happy Easter

badazzgti03 04-18-2012 07:33 AM

Hey everyone bad news for me....lost my AT-6 on Sunday. It was a little too breezy out but took her up any way....big gust of wind took it on take off and caused it to tip stall about 30ft in the air....totaled :( if anyone wants any spare parts i have a few that are still good. I have canopy w/ cockpit items and retracts actually survived I also have the metal retract cases too....PM me if anyone is interested......Already ordered TF P-51D mustang 60 and will be getting that tomorrow

ton2di 04-18-2012 07:49 AM

I am sorry to hear your loss. Yes, it was too windy last Sunday. I made three flights on my AT-6. The final landing was one of my worse because of the wind gust. Perfect approach then suddenly it lurches up or down because of the wind. Well, no better way to improve our flying skills..
That 60 size P-51 is a fun plane too. Just tends to nose over especially on thick grass compared to the AT-6, which likes to bounce.

Tom, that event sounds exciting. I will try to encourage other flyers from our field to storm your field!

jet22b 04-18-2012 08:39 AM

badazzgti03;
Sorry to hear about your AT-6!![:o] As for the Top Flite P-51D ARF, you are going to love it. I have one with a OS 1.20FS in the nose and she is a joy to fly. There is a build thread on the forum about the Top Flite P-51D ARF.
If I can help you on the Top Flite build, please let me know!!
Again, sorry for your loss.
Sonny
aka
jet22b

jet22b 04-18-2012 08:49 AM

ton2di,
The next time you are out flying the AT-6 in the wind, leave the flaps up. You will land alittle hot, but, the wind gust will not be that bad. My club field runway is East-West and we always have crosswind to put up with al the time. The bad landing come for me when there is no wind and they are some bad landing!!!:D
Sonny
aka
jet22b

Lifer 04-18-2012 09:46 AM

This may or may not be news to all of you, but it looks like they dropped the price on the AT-6. I remember it at $319; now it is at $269. Super Saver discount and free shipping brought it to $230.

I don't know if this means it is going out of program or not. I bought one and will start this Winter.

badazzgti03 04-18-2012 11:20 AM

hey Sonny,
yeah i have read up n the P51 thread.....it sucks about the texan liked that plane alot but i guess time to move on.....but on the other hand I'm gonna throw the same motor which did survive the wreck from the texan (Magnum 91) into the mustang along with all the electronics. I'll let you know if I have any questions

Jon

ton2di 04-18-2012 12:24 PM

Sonny,

THanks for the tip regarding the flaps. I am used to dropping it when it's time to land, hence the unstable approach near the ground.

Lifer,

Thank you also for the tip regarding the price of the AT-6.

Jon,

Pass by the field when you have assembled your P-51. I also had an OS 120 on mine like Sonny, but eventually moved up to an OS 200 to spin a 4 blade 15.5x12 or a 16x14 apc. Very Fast. Sold it to another club member to wanted fast planes.

Ton2di