RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8190668-seagull-spacewalker-ii-120-arf.html)

RCGARY 01-04-2009 11:02 PM

RE: Seagull Spacewalker II 120 Arf

I would have to agree. The weather here is great for flying pretty much all year long.

You guys will really like your 1.20 size spacewalker. It is a relaxing, fun plane to fly.

Good luck with your maiden flights when weather permits.

RCGARY.

kokeman857 01-14-2009 08:55 PM

I have been drooling over the plane for a few months now, was waiting for feedback. You guys have sold me, I have a Siato150 sitting around looking for a plane.

RCGARY 01-14-2009 09:25 PM

Looks like I have discovered the only flaw ..... The covering job could be a lot better. But that seems to always be the case with almost any ARF.

You will really like this plane.

Happy Landings!

bbbrown3 01-17-2009 01:54 PM

Has anyone switched out the pushrods on their 120? I'm thinking I will use 4-40's instead of the flimsy 2-56 sent with the ARF. The 2-56's just don't seem to be adequate for a 120 size plane. It is apparent that the Ultra Coat covering was ironed on but not shrunk with a heat gun. I went over all the seems with a sealing iron and then shrunk the covering with a heat gun. If you can see an eggshell texture in Ultra Coat covering, then it hasn't been fully shrunk yet. Also switched to a DuBro 16oz. tank and a DuBro 120 engine mount for the Saito 150. This is one of the nicest ARFs I have seen. What was the final CG you guys used?

RCGARY 01-17-2009 02:24 PM

Funny, I felt the same way about the pushrods, but I decided to leave them as they came. They are fine. Based on my first few flights, I will leave them as is. I had no issues whatsoever.

I set the CG exactly where they suggested. The plane balanced great in that position. Perfect take off and easy landing!

stangevil29 02-26-2009 12:27 AM

How are these planes holding up with the gas motors? I have an O.S. 1.60 that I may decide to put in this one. I know it probably is more engine than needed but, I dont fly WOT hardly ever. It is equivalent to 26cc and Horizon suggests a EVO 26cc for a gas motor. How about the rest of the plane? Good, bad or ugly any imputs would be great. Thanks in advance.
Stangevil29

RCGARY 02-26-2009 09:53 AM

Mine is holding up just fine. No issues at all. I have a Zenoah G26 and for me it seems like the perfect motor. The cowl takes a little work making room for the muffler and carb, but it fly's great.

I prefer gas to glow when possible, but I think the OS 1.60 would be a good motor for this plane as well.

Good luck and Happy Landings

This is a fun plane and gets lots of attention at the field!

darjen38 03-02-2009 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: RCGARY

Mine is holding up just fine. No issues at all. I have a Zenoah G26 and for me it seems like the perfect motor. The cowl takes a little work making room for the muffler and carb, but it fly's great.

I prefer gas to glow when possible, but I think the OS 1.60 would be a good motor for this plane as well.

Good luck and Happy Landings

This is a fun plane and gets lots of attention at the field!
Hi RCGARY, any chance of some pictures of your engine installation as I have a CRRC-PRO 26 which is very similar to your Zenoah (Mainly I was wondering how far the carb protrudes out)

darjen38 03-02-2009 01:54 PM

Sorry RCGARY just noticed on page 2 , looks good thx

RCGARY 03-02-2009 01:58 PM

Good. Let me know if you need any additional info.

Gary.

dafid 03-18-2009 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi guys
my space walker still going strong.

cloudwalker 03-24-2009 03:54 PM

Hi dafid, Sorry I didnt get round to thanking you for the photos of your s/hawk , so a big thank you and the model looks great. Bill,

dafid 03-24-2009 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bill
THanks m8.

ps put undys picy on here didnt know if picy came out on pm.

JohnB96041 04-24-2009 09:06 PM

Just finished my Seagull Spacewalker 1.20. Have a Saito 1.80 4 stroke up front. Have done two test runs of the engine with the plane in hold down. Nothing shook loose. It is ready for some nice weather here in S.W. Oklahoma. Other airplanes include Funtana S 90, Funtana X 100, both with Saito 1.25 engines. They fly great. Also have the Christen Eagle II with a Saito 3.00 engine. It is hot to fly and hot to land.

rinkhals 06-17-2009 09:11 PM

Hi there Chaps. Without trying to be too silly and just doing it I thought that I would ask if a 180 2stk is too much engine for this lovely plane, as it is the the only engine that I have that could suffice. (I also have a spare108 2stk but that is surely too small or is it?).

Many thanks Rinkhals.</p>

saleen256 09-10-2009 12:30 PM

I just purchased one these and I am ready to put it together. I plan on putting a Saito 180 on her. Do any of you experienced fliers have any reccommendations? Should I consider upgrading any parts that come with the plane, like the fuel tank or rods? Any help would be appreciated.

Blueyonder 10-05-2009 12:50 AM

Has anyone used an OS 160 with a pitts style muffler on the Spacewalker? If so, I'm curious as to the fit etc. within the cowl and also your thoughts in general on this engine for the SW.

thanks...

vhal 10-29-2009 11:59 AM

Hello everybody!

Just bought a Seagull Spacewalker II 120, and plan to use a DLE-30 engine with it.
Can you propose a proper servo selection?
Mind you that I'll need 1 for rudder, 2 for ailerons, 2 for elevator and one for throttle.
I may use an additional channel for the electronic ignition.

Please advise!

Thanks in advance,
Vagelis

stangevil29 10-29-2009 03:23 PM

I used hitec 625mg's all around except for throttle and choke. I'm considering changing out the 2-56 rods on the tail feathers for 4-40's. They flex alot. I'm using an RCGF 26cc. It flies it around pretty nice in level flight but, thats it.
Stangevil29

Planejaw 01-08-2010 07:45 AM

Built my SW last Summer and put a new Saito 150 GK in the nose. Plenty of power! Installed two elevator and one rudder servos (DS-821's) all in the tail section with the 2/56 rods, 821's in the wings as well. Will change over to 4/40's this winter. Flies quite well, but much less twitchy when the CG is at the forward location. Nice flyer, well built. Only have about 6 flights on it before winter set in, so need to fly it more this spring...which comes a little later in Michigan.

John

cymaz 02-02-2010 11:11 AM

After reading the thread and seeing a few of you changing the rods to thicker ones, why not try pull-pull ( closed loop in teh UK ) system on the rudder and elevator. I have 2 biplanes both converted to this system, much lighter and far more secure than bending rods.

Any thoughts.........................[sm=50_50.gif]

Planejaw 02-08-2010 08:34 AM

Cymaz,

I like your idea of pull-pull on the rudder. Actually, that's how most every aircraft controls rudder, by a rod or cable pull-pull mechanism. I've got my servos mounted in the tail of the aircraft with the 2/56 rods going from the servos to the control horns. I'm going to replace the rods with carbon-fiber rods, as I am also doing on my Great Planes Giant Super Sportster. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do what you suggest with pull-pull. And who knows...I just may do it later this year!! With a Saito 150 up front, a little more security in the rear wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

I'm also building a Concept Fleet Biplane (84") and I may also go to pull-pull in that bird. After all, it's a biplane.

Thanks for the idea.

John

Oregonsig 02-14-2010 03:33 PM

Hey Guys,

I was thinking of buying one of these SpaceWalker 1.20 as well. I have never flown gas before, but I have a Zenoah g26 on the way, and from what I read so far, it sounds like a great choice. I have flown the alcohol powered smaller engines before. Is there anything I should know about these before jumping in? Also, this month in Model Airplane News, they had an article about the process to installing gas or larger engines to airplanes. They emphasized building up the firewall to make sure it would support the engine. Did either of you have to build up the firewall on this spacewalker? If somebody wouldn't mind, I would love to see some more up close pics of the engine installation, and the inside of the aircraft. The hanger 9 pics aren't very detailed. It would be great to see what others have done.

Enjoyed the posts,

Thanks

JD

J-3 02-14-2010 03:54 PM

I recently bought a new Zenoah G26 with a Slimline pitts muffler to put into my SpaceWalker 1.20 as well. Anyone that has any photos of a G20 or G26 installation I would be greatfull if you could post them in this thread. Thanks for your time....Brian

Oregonsig 03-13-2010 10:57 AM

HeyRC Gary,

Thanks for the great info on the spacewalker 2. Ihad recentlyreceived a g26 as a gift, and hadbeen looking for articles on planes that would work good with it. Yourswasone that prompted me to look into and finally purchase the Seagull Spacewalker 2.

I like the idea of the gas engines, but since this is my first one, I don't really know much about them. I have got some great help here on the forum, but I had a couple quetions related specifically to this aircraft. The manual calls for a large four stroke, which I like, but I do like the gas better (less mess in open cockpit, etc). From what I've read online, many of the guys talk about the necessary modificiations they make to get a plane ready for gas.

Did you change the control rods to 4 40?? If so, did they fit in the already installed tubes?

What kind of connectors did you use?? nylon clevis, etc??

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the good pics,

JD