RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Am I just getting burnt out? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8665554-am-i-just-getting-burnt-out.html)

siberianhusky 11-05-2012 02:24 AM

RE: Am I just getting burnt out?

Try a completely different aspect of RC, I've been a boater for close to 30 years, started flying heli's a couple years ago and just got into fixed wing, boats are still my favorite but it's nice to have something completely different to play around with when I don't feel like running boats or get a bit discouraged due to crash damage or blown up motors both electric and nitro.
If I don't feel like loading up gear and heading to the field I can fly a micro heli in my yard.
Also needed to come up with something rc related for the long Canadian winter, boats need liquid water!
I have a couple of old rc cars but they never did much for me, then again I look at my truck as something boring I have to drive when I can't ride a motorcycle for whatever reason.
I also scratch built a couple of rc sailboats that are very fun is a completely different way. Built a scale lobster fishing boat to use as a race boat retrieval tug.
LOL I guess I'm just into RC in general and really don't care for the most part what it is as long as it's an rc something. Too many aspects of the hobby to ever get bored if you're willing to go outside your comfort zone and try something completely different. SAme reason I have 3 different bikes, do I feel like dirt riding, carving corners on my ZX6, going for a full day tour........
Yes I'm single again and couldn't be happier! Didn't realize how much enjoyment in life I was missing out on!

captinjohn 11-05-2012 08:37 AM

I raised Husky.s for a few years...most fun I ever had...wife complained too much and they had to go. Sure miss the great times I had playing with the pups. I think sometimes...something else shoud have went ....just sayinghttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...oken_heart.gif

ram3500-RCU 11-05-2012 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: siberianhusky

Try a completely different aspect of RC, I've been a boater for close to 30 years, started flying heli's a couple years ago and just got into fixed wing, boats are still my favorite but it's nice to have something completely different to play around with when I don't feel like running boats or get a bit discouraged due to crash damage or blown up motors both electric and nitro.
If I don't feel like loading up gear and heading to the field I can fly a micro heli in my yard.
Also needed to come up with something rc related for the long Canadian winter, boats need liquid water!
I have a couple of old rc cars but they never did much for me, then again I look at my truck as something boring I have to drive when I can't ride a motorcycle for whatever reason.
I also scratch built a couple of rc sailboats that are very fun is a completely different way. Built a scale lobster fishing boat to use as a race boat retrieval tug.
LOL I guess I'm just into RC in general and really don't care for the most part what it is as long as it's an rc something. Too many aspects of the hobby to ever get bored if you're willing to go outside your comfort zone and try something completely different. SAme reason I have 3 different bikes, do I feel like dirt riding, carving corners on my ZX6, going for a full day tour........
Yes I'm single again and couldn't be happier! Didn't realize how much enjoyment in life I was missing out on!
Yes, there are more choices than ever in this hobby. Over the last 44+ years I have experienced scale military, scale civilian, micro to giant scale, multi engine, sail planes, ducted fan (nitro and EDF), WWI, pre WWI, sport planes, scale aerobatic, nitro heli, electric heli, RC cars, RC trucks, RC boats, bibes, design / scratch, and more. Over the years my interests have changed in phases I would say. Major areas I have gone through over the years are fast, slow, scale warbirds, aerobatic, giant, small electric, and competition.

I have always tried to have the very best radio and engine equipment I could afford. This has given my planes a fighting chance to survive, although many did succumb to my dumb thumbs.

Raising 7 kids, at times none of these persuasions were much of an option, and flying was limited to whatever was airworthy, if I had money for fuel.:D

buzzard bait 11-06-2012 10:43 AM

For me the greatest satisfaction comes from scratch building. The new stuff coming on the market hasn't grabbed me for many years.

To really get out of the rut there is nothing like coming up with your own creation. I love sitting down with a piece of graph paper, working out a design, bringing it into three dimensions, and then flying it. Not that I've done much of it, but what I've done is really the best. I can't imagine ever tiring of that.

Jim

nitro wing 11-06-2012 07:21 PM

I gotta try that one day
Really want a different plane not offered, trouble is, I like them larger ,80 inch span and up, might be a big step into scratch, especially if wanting something more exotic and scale.??

captinjohn 11-07-2012 11:05 AM

well finally got a day with good enough weather to fly...but ended up working on the clothes washer. I called the company and they said to place a 3/4 inch piece of plywood under it so it would not shake so much. Well after all that it still shakes bad. I think I may bolt the darn thingdown to the floor next! Just can,t win.........http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...humbs_down.gif

ram3500-RCU 11-07-2012 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

well finally got a day with good enough weather to fly...but ended up working on the clothes washer. I called the company and they said to place a 3/4 inch piece of plywood under it so it would not shake so much. Well after all that it still shakes bad. I think I may bolt the darn thing down to the floor next! Just can,t win.........[img][/img]
Next they will suggest strapping it to the wall. Part #0000 $49.95, out of stock and on back order.:D

Jetdesign 11-08-2012 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I'm only one year into the hobby so far, but last year I wanted EVERYTHING (and people were not afraid to tell me that!).

I now have 2 really nice 120 size planes, and a nice 40 size. All I want is to be at the field flying what I have.

I guess a lot of it depends on what you're into. I like (precision) aerobatic flying, and I've got 3 planes that are more capable than I am (plus they look good and sound good!) so I am unlimited in what I want to do this summer.

Maybe you should check out an IMAC or pattern meet?!

But what do I know, I'm still just a new guy[&:]
well this is fun to see :) 3.5 years later and I'm still in the same boat. I am very happy with my 1.20 yak, my pattern plane, and my little scale bonanza. I don't see anything that I 'must have' but I think about a Model 12 Pitts for when the Yak is ready to be replaced.

Jetdesign 11-08-2012 09:10 PM

well finally got a day with good enough weather to fly...but ended up working on the clothes washer. I called the company and they said to place a 3/4 inch piece of plywood under it so it would not shake so much. Well after all that it still shakes bad. I think I may bolt the darn thing down to the floor next! Just can,t win.........[img][/img]
I suggest using a level and properly shimming the corners; adding 3/4" could just throw it off in the opposite direction. And even if all 4 corners are on the ground, being out of level can still cause vibrations since the basket (machine) will be out of plane.

Generally they shake when they are not level, or when they get off balance due to heavy clothes not evenly distributed during the rinse cycle.

captinjohn 11-09-2012 07:01 AM

Thanks for the advice, I think you may be right and I will try waht you say. Capt,n

MANFRED 11-09-2012 07:16 AM

Make sure your prop is balanced as that will cause it to shake and could loosen your servos or shake loose your tank. If all else fails buy a new one

captinjohn 11-09-2012 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

Make sure your prop is balanced as that will cause it to shake and could loosen your servos or shake loose your tank. If all else fails buy a new one
OK... I sure will..http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Luchnia 11-09-2012 09:10 AM

OK... I sure will..[img][/img]
Maybe if you just stand in front of the washer and start shaking, the washer will stop shaking [X(] [X(] :D

raptureboy 11-09-2012 01:00 PM

I too have found myself getting a little burned out also at times. Some of it is because we try to find our happiness in stuff, or we have had so much that  we just get bored. I am a man of faith and I realized that I was getting a little carried away with my hobby and it was becoming all I lived for. I joined this group http://fcmodelers.com/fcmindex.htm I'm trying to keep life more in balance now, and realize that no matter what it is, when it becomes an addiction you need to back up and ask why.

Granpooba 11-09-2012 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: ahicks

You make your own interest/excitement, don't depend on others to do that! If you have it, it's quite contagious, if you don't, that is too!

Like others that have posted, I've been screwing with this stuff for many years. I've walked away from it too! For those considering their options, a couple of the more interesting side trips I've been on have been RC helicopters (don't waste your time/money on fixed pitch!), and for a REAL sensory overload, try full scale! Not cheap I know, but an experience leaving you with memories that will last you a lifetime. An introductory flight and a few lessons can be had for the price of a new RC plane? Look for a smaller school flying out of a smaller airport. Those close in to metro areas can be pretty expensive. Maybe do some shopping? An introductory flight can be as little as 35-50.00! Try that and see if you aren't completely geeked with a smile that won't go away for days afterward! Ground school can lead to a new perspective and is available most everywhere VERY reasonably (HS night classes and community colleges)! People going through this with you can be fun rubbing elbows with as well!

Those full scale flying lessons, especially those that begin when you start pattern work and landing on your own, are directly transferable to RC. Stall and ''unusual attitude'' recovery was also a blast! Point being you will never fly RC quite the same!

Many guys talk about wanting to try full scale some day. The guys that wait too long, where they are no longer able to pass a physical, are too common. If you have the interest, you really do need to scratch that itch while you can.

Last thought. The flight schools are hurting too, and instructors are nearly willing to pay to build flight time? If you decide to try this, suggest you try a couple different schools/instructors. Just like learning to fly RC, an instructor that's fun to fly with can make a world of difference in your experience.

Last last thought. I had an instructor that challenged me with an in flight excercise that left me quite speechless? He told me I had just lost rudder and aileron control. Now, how was I going to turn the plane to get to an airport without the use of those control surfaces? My brain went numb considering the possibilities! The answer? Opening the door. The drag of the door being held open is enough to turn the plane (which we then tested!). Theoretically, you could use that drag to get you home? One of many awesome lessons from this guy - that REALLY loved what he was doing. -Al
My best friend who was my Co-Captain at the time had a total loss of all hydraulic systems on a Dassault Falcon jet, of which at the time factory and Flight Safety said could not happen. Total loss of hydraulics means that you loose your flight controls, brakes, landing gear deployment, spoilers, etc.
We are still here to talk about it. Figure this one out ? :eek:

ahicks 11-09-2012 05:23 PM

No turbo experience here at all, so I'll just guess differential power? Don't even know if that's possible. Were the trims functional?

ram3500-RCU 11-10-2012 05:29 AM

"Last last thought. I had an instructor that challenged me with an in flight excercise that left me quite speechless? He told me I had just lost rudder and aileron control. Now, how was I going to turn the plane to get to an airport without the use of those control surfaces? My brain went numb considering the possibilities! The answer? Opening the door. The drag of the door being held open is enough to turn the plane (which we then tested!). Theoretically, you could use that drag to get you home? One of many awesome lessons from this guy - that REALLY loved what he was doing. -Al"

Don't think I would have thought of that.

I had a very good instructor as well, but this is an outstanding one. I wonder how many pilots lives he has saved with this kind of training?

My instructor did show me how to shift my weight to have limited pitch control. We were in a T-Craft, and it worked quite well. Never tried to land that way, but it seemed possible.

Very interesting posts guys. Thank you.

Granpooba 11-10-2012 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: ahicks

No turbo experience here at all, so I'll just guess differential power? Don't even know if that's possible. Were the trims functional?
No ......... :D

kenh3497 11-10-2012 05:56 AM

I just got into DLG (Discus Launch Glider) It is a aspect of the hobby I explored 30 years ago with a high start and glider. I never had much success way back then. The DLG is so neat as all you need is a transmitter and your plane. You are the launching device. I'm having a blast so far. Learning to catch thermals is a challenge and learning to not "yanks and bank" is also a challenge. Finesse is the order of the day with a DLG.

Slip on over to here for a very good forum on DLG. http://www.rcgroups.com/hand-launch-96/ Some of the planes can be a bit spendy but you have to consider that most are hand built using some rather exotic materials to stand up to the abuse they take.

Ken

captinjohn 11-10-2012 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

OK... I sure will..[img][/img]
Maybe if you just stand in front of the washer and start shaking, the washer will stop shaking [X(] [X(] :D
Maybe if I stick a stick of dynamite under it and light it...it will cure the problem!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif