RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Funtana 125 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8867112-new-funtana-125-a.html)

chuck993 09-26-2009 08:15 AM

RE: New Funtana 125

I do not understand why Kochj jumps in and pees in Scooterpilot's cheerios. If you don't like the Funtana 125 then fine, but you don't have to trash it right after Scooterpilot buys one and posts pictures...what an arse.[:@]

I think the new Funtana 125 is nice, nice pics Scooterpilot, I'm sure you'll like it.

Chuck

Zeeb 09-26-2009 08:49 AM

Well I didn't see him as denegrating another poster over his new purchase, but made some very worthwhile comments on gas vs. glow since the possibility of using a gas engine has been brought up.

I still have one of the Funtana 90's with a YS-110 on it and it's a pretty good combination, fun to fly with a good power to weight ratio and other than the known issues of weak landing gear and some issues with the airfoil and certain 3D manuevers, it's a good model. From what I've seen, the 100X was an improvement and the 125 from the pics posted, looks like they've done some more lightening which should help.

That said; this isn't a model for a gas engine.....:eek:

While there are many possible choices for going gas, the current crop of 50cc birds is outstanding in most respects and a far cry from what you saw even three years ago. While my Funtana is fun to play with occasionally, it's no competition for my little 28% Extra 300 with a 50cc gas engine.

I've also seen a number of folks around here put small gas engines on various versions of the Funtana and with the exception of one guy who knows what he's doing and put a small Zenoah on one with a full pipe, all of them were disappointments. These models are on the heavy side to begin with and putting in a small gas engine only exacerbates that weight issue and you won't get the performance available from various glow engines which might be used.

JMHO, YMMV....

kochj 09-26-2009 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: chuck993

I do not understand why Kochj jumps in and pees in Scooterpilot's cheerios. If you don't like the Funtana 125 then fine, but you don't have to trash it right after Scooterpilot buys one and posts pictures...what an arse.[:@]

I think the new Funtana 125 is nice, nice pics Scooterpilot, I'm sure you'll like it.

Chuck
I actually like the new funtana........FOr a Alcohol/nitro engine setup!....

It appears they have (h9) has done there homework on this plane, as it seems they
have fixed what the flyers had asked them to fix.....
They obviously left out the CF parts to keep the plane in the price range that it is in!....

Gas would get too heavy (for my taste, I have had the x100 with a evo26. not what I wanted)
especially now that they left the pro parts out of the ARF....
THis one would weigh in heaftier than the prevy.....Not a problem for the Non-gas users....though...

Keep it light, and fly the heck out of it.....

Mr67Stang 09-26-2009 06:49 PM

I like the bolt on Horizontal stabs But that landing gear block looks just as bad as the X100's... Make that your first modification.

stevo revo 09-27-2009 09:03 AM

I'd get one, but I have 2 Funtana X 100s, one up and running with an OS 120 AX and a NIB X 100 for backup...
Oh you are another 1.20 ax lover I see!!!!!!

I have three of them on 3..... well two planes now in the same size catagory. A phoenox models extra 330 and a seagull edge 540. Both are in the "just under 70 inch size class.....8-9 lbs.

I since have lost the edge...but am currently flying a 1.20 in another edge I bought used (cheap) from another cub member.

So to make a long story short....... I have never owned a funtana. The first thing I noticed about this bird was the WING AREA!!!!!!!!!! Over 1100 inches!!!! Holy Sheeet! My Extra and edge only have 700 and 600 sq inches respectively.

The question I have is how do you prop your ax on the funtana? I found 16x6 is GREAT for making gobs of power......like 9500rpm and 14 lbs of thrust. But at that rpm the pitch speed starts to get high and they can both move pretty fast.

I could see the funtana as being a balsa "foamie"...... wanting loads of thrust with not so much airspeed. Being as big as it is and not tooo heavy...... sounds like a very lightly built airframe.

Maybe a 17x5 prop for the 120??? Idk..... just looking for some thoughts.....

kochj 09-27-2009 10:09 PM

I have ran the os 1.20 ax on the funtana and on QQ's 69" yak 54.

a 16x8 xoar spools up faster than a 17x6 APC. But doesn't have the goods that a 17X6 has...
hands down, the best prop...for ALL applications....

I am a firm believer in pipes, for 2-strokes....
I use a muffled tuned pipe for the 69" yak setup w/ APC 17x6 APC.
(I gain 1,000 RPM's from the stock muffler w/o ANY loss of low end torque!)

This pulls the plane to the MOON and back...
The only weakness is in the low end.... Unfortiounately, this is the way it is on ALL small
2-stroke engines....
Don't get it twisted, it hasn't any issues out of a hover though!;)

15%nitro 18%oil syn. with some added castor.
Have thought about the use of a pump, due to some changes in the pressures cuasing richness..
THis will not happen with the stock exhuast though...

This plane will take much more than you think!.....
Seal you hinges, use the Plastic pined hinnges from dubro...
and strong servos, and you will not have any issues....

I don't have any software to covert the digital tape video to get it on youtube, but will have to pick some up....

You really need to see this setup to believe it......It is amazing!

Mr67Stang 09-28-2009 06:41 AM

I too am a believer in the 1.20ax on these. I have the X100 with the OS 1.20ax and I fly it with a 17x6 and a pitts muffler with one pipe pinched closed. With this setup I find myself flying in the low to mid range so a tuned pipe would be disasterous. The only time I ever hit full throttle is pulling out of a hover or just going virtical and then its a gradual transition of power.

chuck993 09-28-2009 07:42 AM

My 120 AX on the Funtana X100 works great, it will fly very slow, hover and go to the moon wihen I put it on the tail. I can also do IMAC manuvers, but it isn't as crisp as my extra or venusII, but you can't do it all.

I have a 17x6 APC on my 120AX with a pitts muffler on it, great combo. The plane will slow down to a crawl on landing, which can be dangerous because it can also stall easily when you get it that slow and it drops in like a brick and breaks that flimsy gear. But this is because I slowed it down too much, I get carried away sometimes with how slow it can land, so just keep a wee bit of speed up and you're ok. The plane can go fast, but it is not recommended due to the large surfaces, you might rip off some control surfaces, so you have to keep that in mind when you are following people in the pattern, the OS 120 AX will make the plane zoom, but not a good idea...lol

And sorry Kochj about that, I misunderstood your post...:D

Tibcsyke 09-30-2009 01:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Scooterpilot

The Funtana has arrived :D
hey Scooterpilot,

i felicitate u on funtana 125,have u started to build this bird or have flown yet?we are waiting for your experience about this plane...maybe some videos or pictures...unfortunately it is not yetavailable in my country so we have to wait....

good luck

kochj 09-30-2009 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

I too am a believer in the 1.20ax on these. I have the X100 with the OS 1.20ax and I fly it with a 17x6 and a pitts muffler with one pipe pinched closed. With this setup I find myself flying in the low to mid range so a tuned pipe would be disasterous. The only time I ever hit full throttle is pulling out of a hover or just going virtical and then its a gradual transition of power.

I didn't have a pipe on the old 100x, and did'nt get to fly it that much...So I didn't have much experience with it on the funtana 100x...
Was the 100x that sensitive to speed??
I can run my QQ Sommizinee 69" yak 54 WOT through IMAC routines w/o a hint of issue....
Perhaps it was due to the non-airfoiled horizontal/verticle tail surfaces??

Now, I will tell you that there is a BIG difference with going fast, and doing slow rolls, loops, rolling circles, and snaps on LOW RATES!....
and doing full 3-d throws on blenders, snaps, flips, dips, whips....@ fast/full throttle..
I do not punish the airframe at high speeds.....
I would guess that the new Tana, 125, will not have any issues either.....
Overspeeding the airframe,,isn't the issue when you have failure, it is when you abuse it....

Place the most POWERFULL DIGITAL servos you can afford into this plane.
Seal you hing gaps.
Use a high quality hinges (Radio CA, or Dubro brass (removable) hinges)
keep movements controlled, slow and at low rates, at speed and you should be able to do all the things you see the
big boys do at the aerobatic shoot outs....well....ALMOST>..

kochj 09-30-2009 10:16 PM

And sorry Kochj about that, I misunderstood your post...:D
No problamo...
I think I can get a bit out of sorts when typing late at night and when I look at some of
the responces I posted, I wonder what the heck I was thinking..??;)

JohnB96041 10-03-2009 08:50 PM

Finally got my Funtana 125. The following are the modifications so far. Futaba 3010 servos will not fit in the two elevator openings without a 1/16 shim under each servo. Each of these servos hit each other and will not seat properly without the shim. The landing gear block needs to be beefed up. The tail wheel supplied with the kit is ok but puts a lot of wear on the rudder hinges. Suggest a stronger tail wheel assembly. So far the kit is super great and will probably have it finished this weekend. Can't wait to do the maiden flight. More updates as they come available.

stevo revo 10-03-2009 10:50 PM

Anyone notice that this thing is out of stock already??? Nice.

airborne2.4 10-04-2009 06:41 AM

ORIGINAL: stevo revo

Anyone notice that this thing is out of stock already??? Nice.
Yep,after waiting and waiting for months they finally got the Funtana 125....... and now its out of stock already. Don't understand what Horizon is doing :(

Scooterpilot 10-04-2009 06:37 PM

I installed DS9411 servos in the Funtana 125. The elevator servos fit perfect, no shim required and the rudder also fit with no issues.

kochj 10-06-2009 11:00 PM

The plane is made to fit ALL of the HOrrizon brand(s) that they sell/carry.....
So, if you use there servos... (JR)
and there Brand servo arms you shouldn't have any fitment issues....

STANG KILLA SS 10-12-2009 03:27 PM

hey i wonder if you can help me with some dimensions. im trying to confirm the 1100 wing area before purchasing one for my MLD 28.
if you could take some quick measurements for me. HUGE thanks!
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/1301/funtanadims.jpg

all the other 70-73" planes are in the 930 to 960 sq inch range. just want to confirm the 1100 sq inch claim.
thanks!

JohnB96041 10-12-2009 03:53 PM

In reply to STANG KILLA SS
A = 10.25 inches
B = 19 7/8 inches
C = 31.25 inches.

These are as close as I can measure....Hope it helps.

Finished my Funtana 125 yesterday and did a maiden flight yesterday evening. Flew geat. Had to do 2 clicks of right aileron for level flight. Flys hands off inverted at 70 percent throttle using a Saito 125....I am a happy camper and waiting on the second Funtana 125 to arrive at LHS. Hope to set it up as all electric. This will be a first for me......Then I will have a Funtana X100, 2 Funtana 125's. Also have SFG's ordered for the Funtana 125's. I think it needs them for knife edge to be better controlled.

MR G 10-12-2009 04:10 PM

My calculations using your number yields 941.4 Sq inches. This does NOT include the area of the fuselage between the wings.
If the fuse is 6" wide, then the wing area would be about 1060 sq. inches.

MR G

JohnB96041 10-12-2009 05:43 PM

Remember that the tail surfaces are also included in the flying surface area. Here are the tail surface figures:

Tip of Horizontal Stab = 6 3/4"
Root of Horizontal Stab = 7"
TE of Horizontal Stab outside = 7"
TE of Horizontal Stab inside = 6 1/4"

Body width is 7.5" at leading edge of main wing
Body width is 4 3/4" at trailing edge of main wing

I have not measured the Virtical Stab

Hope this helps

MR G 10-12-2009 05:53 PM

Tail surfaces are not included in the wing area calculations. however they may be included when calculation wingloading because the tail surfaces will carry a small percentage of the aircraft weight.

A buddy of mine is extremely well educated in this area, I will ask him and report back.

MR G

opjose 10-13-2009 01:03 PM

I think his point is that MANUFACTURERS often include tail surfaces in the calculations, even when they should not.

Scooterpilot 10-13-2009 07:03 PM

My kit was missing HAN475020, control surface horns and they are on back order, so I'm dead in the water until I get them.

Regards

JohnB96041 10-13-2009 07:07 PM

Scooterpilot: I must have your hardware. My Funtana 125 had double of all hardware items. Push rods, horns, clevises, screws, bolts, washers, etc.

Scooterpilot 10-13-2009 07:48 PM

JohnB96041

Do you recall what kit number your 125 was? Mine was kit number 81. For some unknown reason I kept the box. Usually I check the kit contents and throw the box away. Tonight I really started looking at everything and I was going to start to work on the control surfaces and I'm short.

If you want to let loose of those extra items let me know what your want for them.

Thanks