RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Funtana 125 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8867112-new-funtana-125-a.html)

JohnB96041 12-23-2010 05:03 PM

RE: New Funtana 125

I don't know what happened this time, but the pictures actuallly appeared. One thumb nail pic and then 3 pictures that are very, very large.

darylm44 12-24-2010 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

Glad you tried it, this simple mod makes this a great airplane out of a dog. I think I ended up nearly a inch in front of the CG range they recommended. I had several others in my Club fly it before and after, they all agreed it was a hand full as built, much nicer after the Mods.

Tim

I will try moving my CG forward some. Right now I am in the middle of the recommended range. I am going to put a larger tank in it also. I am using an eight oz tank now and just barely getting 8 minute flights with little reserve. Haven't been flying it much lately, the weather has been cold 5 - 20 F with a lot of ice fog or wind on the days I could have flown. Days are finally getting longer but it will take another month to see much improvement.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daryl

Mastertech 12-24-2010 03:07 PM

Say Hello to Reeves for me though I doubt he remembers me.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Tim

darylm44 12-28-2010 09:16 PM

I will say hello for you. I should see him a week from thrusday unless he is out on vacation.

ameyam 01-07-2011 08:58 PM

Ok, now this is most irritating. I had a look at H9's site and they have jacked up the price of the Funtana from $299 to $309 and there is still no solution on this covering yellowing issue. What are these people thinking?

Ameyam

ghoffman 01-08-2011 04:26 AM

ORIGINAL: ameyam
What are these people thinking?

Ameyam
They are trying to pump up 3D Hobby Shop's business! <br type="_moz" />

ahicks 01-08-2011 05:20 AM

It'll be interesting to see how the new batch of Funtana owners deal with the issue - especially now that once logged in here they find it a known problem....

I know what I'd be thinkin.

RACJ 01-08-2011 05:36 AM

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

What are these people thinking?

Ameyam
They are trying to pump up 3D Hobby Shop's business! <br type=''_moz'' />
That's the first thought that came to mind when I saw the price increase. ;)

JohnB96041 01-08-2011 05:53 AM

I sent an email to HH about the price increase. I will post their answer, IF they respond.

ameyam 01-08-2011 06:11 AM

Does 3DHS have something in the same size as a Funtana? Case in point the 120AX I was going to use

Ameyam

SkyPilot101 01-08-2011 06:14 AM

Horizon did'nt only increase the price of the funtana, just about all there lineup is increased as well. You all can thank our goverment for the de-valueation of the dollar.

ghoffman 01-08-2011 06:19 AM

Yes, the 68 inch Velox, I am using a DLE-20 on mine. The OS 120AX and the DLE-20 are very comparable.

JohnB96041 01-08-2011 06:29 AM

I did not find anything that compares to the Funtana 125 on 3DHS web site. However, Aero-Works is starting to introduce some 30CC models that look really exciting. I am looking at the Aero-Works Extra 300 and Edge 540. Don't think they would fly 3-D with the Saito 1.25 engine, but would be great with the new 30CC gas engines that are on the market now.

ameyam 01-08-2011 11:32 AM

Well, the Velox is $415 which is still $100 more than the Funtana and the new Aeroworks 30cc airplanes are further still. I know that sometime back Aeroworks had introduced the Extra 300 QB 60-90 which is a bit smaller and I am still awaiting user reviews. I was also told the QBs were too large for the 75 or 95 sized engines for 3D.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZNP7&P=0

The other option I started with was the AW Yak 90-120 which really looks quite nice price wise, someone who owns one should tell of how it flies compared to the Funtana.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYSX2&P=0

Then there is the Goldwing / Redwing RC SU26 26cc available at my LHS which is cheaper and also seems good, though there are no reviews in the RCU user reviews section. They also had the MX2 for some time but I was too late to buy it

http://www.rcdhamaka.com/index.php?m...fminfsmceu6em5
http://www.rcdhamaka.com/index.php?m...fminfsmceu6em5

Any suggestions?

Ameyam

nitro wing 01-08-2011 08:30 PM

Not sure why people complain about a 10$ increase on a 120size H9 ARF its 309$ or less. Its a fair price. And as others stated, many comparable companies and airframes cost quite a bit more...

I paid 245$ in 1996 for a TF Corsair KIT, just wood and plans, some crappy ABS trim etc ..
You can buy the ARF from TF with retracts for 269$ now. If it was double, its still a bargain compared to building it.

Overall, most ARF are priced very reasonable, much cheaper and better than years ago.
The plane would cost roughly 1000$ to get into the air or more if you are buying nice gear, 10$ is not even in the equation then.
(based on new radio etc)

ghoffman 01-08-2011 08:57 PM

I agree, I like to look at the total picture. On some ARF's the hardware is not worth anything and I end up going to the LHS and buying all new control hardware for $50+. Then, since I seem to damage my planes more in handling and transport than I do flying them, I go buy wing bags. Not to sound like a 3DHS employee (I am not!), but the carbon wing tube and stringers, Robart pin type hinges on all control surfaces, (the wings are pre-hinged and gaps sealed), first class hardware, and included wing bags, make the extra money a good value. I paid like $80 for wing bags for a 50cc plane I have.

ameyam 01-08-2011 09:22 PM

Cool, I have never bought H9, only GP and Phoenix. So cant comment on the quality. Also, no one would have complained about the price increase if the product was without known issues. The complaint here is that the price has gone up but known issues are not resolved.

Agreed that the hardware and accessories that come with the 3DHS airplanes are good and add value. But, I dont need CF wing tubes, aluminium is good enough and I got wing bags sown for my Reactor at 1/10th the price of buying them from a store. For me, pinned hinges are good enough, Robart hinges are not needed. I already have the radio equipment and engines that I need, so those are not a factor either.

I am hoping someone suggests alternatives by the end of the day, otherwise I am committed to purchasing the Funtana already. I will re-cover it if & when it goes unusable, yellow or not, and it really is about how it flies rather than how it looks, though good looks are a bonus

Edit: Subsequent to writing this, I went through the RCU review of the AW Yak 90-120 QB and came away really impressed. I also read through specifications of the new AW Extra 300 QB 60-90 and am happy with those as well. It looks like there are alternatives :):) Now if I could just get the shipping sorted!

Ameyam

ahicks 01-09-2011 07:38 AM

I went the AW 90-120 Yak route after a TON of shopping for a comparable/affordable plane. Though mine appeared to be very impressive when pulling it from the box, things turned sour quickly as the sides started pulling apart from the bulkheads during the first few test flights. Not just one or two places, nearly all from the trailing edge of the wing forward had to be reglued. I added 3/16 triangle stock to reinforce where it made sense.

My plane turned out 1.5 lbs heavier than the Funtana, and with less wing area, was more inclined to snap than the Funtana (eventually leading to it's early destructon - my fault - you can't blame a plane for that). The plane had absolutely stellar vertical performance with the DLE 30. A rocket, literally. This leads to flying/manuevering at 1/4 throttle, not a good plan if you need a lot of air moving over the control surfaces. Couple this with a little too much control surface travel, and you have the recipe for what happened to my plane.

For the DLE 30, I'm moving to a 12.5 - 13 lb plane with more wing area (1200 sq. in.). The YAK was a little too hot for me. I think at 60, my reactions just aren't fast enough.

The Funtana is a unique plane for it's weight and amount of wing area. I would buy another in a heart beat, but I refuse to give in to them. I'm not going to pay for a plane that has this issue, even if it leads me to spending more money. If I were to get another, I'd probably have to go with a DLE 20 though. I think the power and weight of that engine would be a perfect match... FWIW

ameyam 01-09-2011 09:01 AM

Ahicks,

think about it- you put a 30cc engine on a 90-120 airplane! While I dont disagree that there may be some construction issues, I dont want to exaggerate them with overpowering either airplane.

I am thinking AW Extra 60-90 with a 75AX, Yak 90-120 with a 120AX or Funtana with a 120AX- it will be one of these three. I am in the fortune (or misfortune. depending on how you look at it) of having all these engines, having had problems with the setup of an earlier airplane with the 75AX. Shipping is a perennial issue though so lets see how it works out

Ameyam

ahicks 01-09-2011 05:18 PM

Ahicks,

think about it- you put a 30cc engine on a 90-120 airplane! While I dont disagree that there may be some construction issues, I dont want to exaggerate them with overpowering either airplane.

I am thinking AW Extra 60-90 with a 75AX, Yak 90-120 with a 120AX or Funtana with a 120AX- it will be one of these three. I am in the fortune (or misfortune. depending on how you look at it) of having all these engines, having had problems with the setup of an earlier airplane with the 75AX. Shipping is a perennial issue though so lets see how it works out

Ameyam
I was comparing the Yak to the Funtana, which held up really well to the beating I gave it with a 26 cc for an entire season - with no sign of the joint failures present with the Yak. Granted the 26 is smaller, but not by that much.

I get the fact I'm overpowering. What I didn't get were so many completely failed glue joints on a "premium" category plane. All due mostly to no, or at the very least, too little glue. In all the failed joints, there was no case where part of the glue joint contained pieces of the other part like you would see normally when a proper glue joint fails? For the difference in money and reputation, I was expecting more than a nice covering job. You ask for the comparison, sorry if it didn't turn out like you thought it might. Didn't turn out like I thought it would either.

Slow and Steady 01-09-2011 06:26 PM

A plane goes up $10 and we blame our government? How sad. At $310 this plane is a steal, even with the yellowing. I bought mine when they first came out and installed a 120 AX. Nice combination, but a couple of months later I changed out to a Syssa 30 cc gas engine and have never looked back. This plane has over 300 flights, thanks to the sunny south Florida weather and its stout construction. While I think the yellowing is a problem, I would be hard pressed to find a comparable plane in this price range or even for a $100 more. Incidentally, it is the first plane I have purchased in a long time that I did not have to change out any hardware, except for pin hinges on the rudder. It is also a plane that you can crash and not have to spend a fortune to replace. This thread has over 1100 entries for a reason - this plane is not only offered at a bargain price, but it is also a great flyer, with an incomparably low wing loading. To each his own.

JohnB96041 01-09-2011 06:32 PM

Slow and Steady: Agree, Agree, Agree. I replaced the Saito 1.25 with the SAP180HP, 30cc gas engine on my Funtana 125 and have not looked back. My S90 and X100 and another 125 are sitting on the bench. May fly them this summer, but in the mean time the 30cc engine is my choice. Yes, it is over powered, but that is why we have throttle control. No one can tell that the covering is yellowing while you are flying.

Slow and Steady 01-09-2011 06:48 PM

Thank you; you said it much better. Had ten flights today and, while I saw other planes that look like they had been through the war, this one looks not much different form when I first flew it. I actually get alot of jabs for how often I bring it out. My other five planes have for the most part become hangar queens.

rcflip 01-09-2011 11:25 PM

I do not know why people bother with H9, they once made a good ARF, but Horizon have totally killed the brand... they are now overpriced garbage, there are much better quality offerings out there these days to bother with old designs and poorly made arf's. I hope they keep jacking up the prices, so people continue to jump ship to better quality and designed arf's.

ameyam 01-10-2011 12:17 AM

Ahicks, I wanted an honest opinion and you gave it. No offences given or taken. Good to be informed of the facts.

Slow and Steady, if I crash it, it will be a fortune to replace. Remember, customs and shipping essentially doubles the base price for me.

Like I said, inspite of the yellowing problem and the minor increase in price I am committed to the Funtana. Right now I have three candidates- Funtana, AW Yak 1.20 and AW Extra 300 60-90 and I want to disqualify atleast one or atlease setup a hierarchy. I do however feel I am heading towards the Extra 300 60-90 for now basically due to its size and ease of transport. The Funtana will have to wait for now and I hope the price doesnt go up again

Ameyam