RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Funtana 125 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8867112-new-funtana-125-a.html)

Slow and Steady 01-10-2011 10:19 AM

RE: New Funtana 125

Ameyam, I understand your concern. I have the Aeroworks Edge 540 46-60 size and love the plane. With the right power, such as a 75 AX or 90 4 stroke (used in their video), and as demonstrated on the AW web sit video, it has conventional aerobatic as well as 3D capacity. I don't know if the 60 90 Extra is similar, but based on their video, I have my doubts. Just to be clear, the Edge is an old design with a one piece wing and fixed turtle deck that limits access - so I would only recommend it with that being known. At $189, it is a steal. I understand it wasn't on your list, but I thought you might be interested. There are two AW Yaks 90 - 120 at my field and one fellow is on his third, due to a mid air and later a Receiver brown out. I know he likes it and likes it enough to buy three, but he is a sport flyer. His only concern is the landing. It has a strong tendancy to float over the run way during landing - not unmcommon with Yaks as well as my Funtana with a neutral CG. Tapping down elevator is necessary, as apposed to flairing. Good Luck - the world is a small place. Nice to have an opportunity to communicate with someone from India.

ameyam 01-10-2011 05:47 PM

I had looked at the AW Edge 46-60 earlier but I gave up because most people told me it requires a 90+ sized engine to do 3D.

With the Extra 300 60-90, Mark Dennis from AW informed that it is similar to the older AW Extra 260 60-90 in terms of construction. It flies different dut to having more wing area and a lower wing loading. I went through whatever I could find on that airplane on the AW support forum in the Giant Scale section and there are some people who were flying it w a 75AX and said it was nice. I have dropped several of them PMs but not yrt received a reply.

Ameyam

fly24-7 01-10-2011 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: rcflip

I do not know why people bother with H9, they once made a good ARF but Horizon have totally killed the brand... they are now overpriced garbage, there are much better offerings out there these days to bother with old designs and poorly made arf's. I hope they keep jacking the prices up so people continue to jump ship to better quality and designed arf manufacturers.
And the "better offerings" in this price range are?

Barry Cazier 01-12-2011 09:35 AM

:)Chief Aircraft still has this plane for $299.99. If I read it right....that includes freight also.
Probably a good place to get your Funtana.
Thanks
Barry

rcflip 01-17-2011 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

I do not know why people bother with H9, they once made a good ARF but Horizon have totally killed the brand... they are now overpriced garbage, there are much better offerings out there these days to bother with old designs and poorly made arf's. I hope they keep jacking the prices up so people continue to jump ship to better quality and designed arf manufacturers.
And the ''better offerings'' in this price range are?
Goldwing, Extremeflight, Top Dawg, Aeroworks, Pilot... to name a few

ghoffman 01-17-2011 02:17 PM

And 3D Hobby Shop, OMP to name a couple more...

Slow and Steady 01-17-2011 04:32 PM

Had four flights yesterday. Plane, while definitely yellowing, continues to fly great. Can't see the discoloration when it is in flight, as you would expect.

Whle I fly with a 30cc gas, another pilot had a DLE 20, which is about 8 or 10 ounces lighter. With a 17 6 prop, he had great vertical and performed rolling circles and hovered with no problem. As with mine, during knife edge, the plane pulled to the gear. As with mine, the more rudder used the more it pulled. However with the right amount of throttle and limited rudder, the pull is not bad. Just thought I would share with anyone interested in gas. I thought the 30 cc was necessary, but I think it flies great with the 20; probably due to the significant drop in weight.

ameyam 01-18-2011 05:18 AM

My LHS has a Goldwing:

http://www.rcdhamaka.com/index.php?m...sdtpollb5jsbs5

They also had a MX2 but it is currently sold out:

http://www.rcdhamaka.com/index.php?m...sdtpollb5jsbs5

Aeroworks, well... I am really comparing the Extra 300 60-90 against a Edge 540 46-61 and H9 Showtime

Any suggestions with these?

Ameyam

rcflip 01-18-2011 02:41 PM

I have owned a few Showtimes, the 90 was a good plane... that was back when H9 were descent arf's... the 50 size sucks, it is tail heavy and an old design which did not scale down very well, I would not get another one. I put a saito 82 in mine, and had to add a tonne of weight to the front for balance. The little goldwing mx2 is great little flyer, I did have one with a Saito82 but sold it, am considering and electric version.

Wildman007 01-18-2011 05:07 PM

Yes I bought one about 4 weeks ago and have build it. It was the best plane that I have put togather in a long time, The build manual was right on. No hidden you fix it. The covering was great. Now when I get the weather to cooperate I will tell you how it is in the Air.

ameyam 01-18-2011 05:52 PM

This MX2 is the 30cc version. So is the Su-26

Ameyam

nitro wing 01-29-2011 09:52 PM

I do not know why people bother with H9, they once made a good ARF, but Horizon have totally killed the brand... they are now overpriced garbage, there are much better quality offerings out there these days to bother with old designs and poorly made arf's. I hope they keep jacking up the prices, so people continue to jump ship to better quality and designed arf's.
Oh, OK you are basing this on what fact? this is going to be interesting as one cannot put full facts behind that stupid comment.
I suggest you really put some thought behind a reply as everyone will watch this one. facts OK ? not just rambling thoughts.. and please post manufacturer and prices with YOUR comparison . Who makes an unlimited 3D, 120+ ARF for 300$ that works with a variety of motors and is available at most LHS with some support?? I am in the market and will listen.

rcflip 01-30-2011 02:45 AM

Factual experience flying and constructing H9 arf's, Nitro Wing if you love your H9 that is great, I once did but now think that they are junk, especially when compared to the better offerings out there. Dont listen to me buy yourself some H9 planes and find out for yourself. Sorry dude, been there done that and I aint going back. The last straw was the 50sized showtime which needed a tonne of weight in the front to balance at a 3d centre of gravity, this was with the heavier 4stroke in the nose. Really well designed H9!!! not!!!

Unlimited 3D 120+ arf for $300 which looks like a dog pissed on it when left in the sun for 10minutes, no thankyou, spend another $50 and buy yourself a better quality machine... you want me to do your research for you, na dude, I research planes myself and dont rely on other people, it has served me well for years.

Ok i'll bite, I recommend you get yourself a Tango then move up to a Twist 3d, fly those for a year and then in your 2nd year move on to a Tribute and and you will be a 3d machine!!!

nitro wing 01-30-2011 07:18 AM

umm. those are small time entry level planes...
I have had over 80 aircraft and owned much of the offerings out there, you basing a personal CG issue on a little showtime, hardly makes for any good judgement of a product. I prefer 1.20 - 1.80 size unlimited and scale or 50-100cc quality.

rcflip 01-30-2011 01:28 PM

Nitro wing, big noting yourself now!! some people consider the size of planes like their appendage, which unfortunately for some guys is rather small. What I prefer is what I prefer, I wont big note myself to make me feel better.

Said it once, will say it again, if you want to buy H9 than fine, I will not buy them any more as there are much better offerings out there.

nitro wing 01-30-2011 05:52 PM

I got plenty of smaller birds around here, enjoy them alot, but prefer 1/4 scale and up...well you must be hiding these better offerings..?
We can get into 3DHS, EF, AW, Fliton,PA, PAU, WH, SIG, ZG, EFlite, GP, H9, TF, TT, QQ, VQ and many more, I have experience with them, that is what I base my reply on OK?
I could go on with another dozen of various overseas offerings that I have spent actual time with.

H9 hardly rates as bottom of the pile, junk as you call it. Each company has had some planes on the market that may not have been the best, and had some issues, all of them.

I'd like to see your best best against the Funtana please. something close is size/performance and engine usage.

rcflip 01-30-2011 06:27 PM

Time to move on Nitro, time to move on brother, you like the dog piss coloured plane and I do not!!

nitro wing 01-30-2011 06:57 PM

Just calling out your bluff.
Best comparison the F 125 I could find last year was the Fliton Extra 1.20
Many got a bit skiddish of the company,as they were difficult and slow to deal with. Only few people got any, and I lost track if they had sucess.

Quite a few planes have since come forward, but not much is talked about on RCU. 3DHS probably has some of the better choices at the moment. Any thoughts?

rcflip 01-30-2011 07:11 PM

I would definetly recomend a 3DHS plane, I dont have one myself but my friends do and they are very good flying machines, they are quality machines as well, a little more expensive than the Funtana though. If I was going to buy a plane that size I would look at one of 3DHS offerings.

nitro wing 01-30-2011 07:33 PM

Bunch of the MX's and Sbachs out there too, seems they are targeting the 30cc gas and are a bit larger all around than the F125

rcflip 01-30-2011 08:30 PM

I like my MX2, its pretty good at 3d and IMAC, it is the 88inch version though. SBachs, I have flown and do not think they are very good 3d machines, they look good though.

Slow and Steady 01-30-2011 08:38 PM

Had 5 flights on my Funtana yesterday, powered by a Syssa 30 cc gasser. Flat flat spins, great snaps and down lines; and little pull on knife edge after getting the sweet spot on throttle management to minimize pull to the gear. While the plane is yellowed, it is my first choice for a great day of flying. I have owned Seagull, Hanger 9, Aeroworks, Great Planes and Extreme Flight, which are all great planes; haven't found any flaws with this plane except for the yellowing and weak landing gear block, which is well overshadowed by the flying characteristics and build quality, including 1st class hardware, fuse design that includes fur stringers that allow you to pick the plane up anywhere along the underside of the fuse without risk of crushing; color match and quality of cowl and canopy etc. Selling this quality in this size class for $300 to $310 says alot about the Company.

rcflip 01-30-2011 11:03 PM

I guess I am a little harsh on companies, but I believe we all should be, I am sick of buying crap these days and that is with all products not just models... we give over our hard earned cash and a lot of the time get very little in return. I guess I am just cranky that a brand I was once proud of has slipped.

erieqc 01-31-2011 01:30 AM

The bottom is you get what you pay for it don't matter if it's a engine or plane or what ever you buy cheep expect it to be cheep. It's the American way.

Slow and Steady 02-01-2011 01:25 PM

Just looked at 3D Hobby Shops and their new orange AJ Slik; awghly tempting at $389!! Glad the scheme is not available in 50cc or I would really be opening my wallet. Guess I will have to keep flying the Funtana for now.

Erieqc, I wish the addage "you get what you pay for" was true, but some of the pricey appliances I have purchased in the last 15 years seem to be made by American companies that have not learned any lessons from Detroits previous planned oppsolecense routines.