RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Funtana 125 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8867112-new-funtana-125-a.html)

JohnB96041 06-17-2013 06:14 PM

RE: New Funtana 125

I have 2 of the Funtana 125 models. One with the SAP180HP which is 30cc gas and the other with a Saito 1.25 4s. Love both. I agree that the 30cc is way over powered, but I beefed up the front end and the landing gear block and have not had any problems flying it last summer and so far this summer. I very seldom use full throttle, but it is there if I need it.

Slow and Steady 06-17-2013 07:39 PM

I also had the SAP. I think it adds around 8 or 10 oz over the DLE20. Mine had rocket like verticals, but crazy twisting torque. Having watched it fly with a 20, I think the 20 with the right prop, brings it to its full aerobatic potential. But it was alot of fun with the 30.

Mr67Stang 07-03-2013 08:37 AM

I am converting a used Funtana 125 fron 4 stroke nitro to DLE 20. I have looked at the manual and seen the ballance is between 6-3/8 in and 6-3/4 in FLE. Where have you guys decided the "right" spot is? Mine is coming out at about 7-1/4 in FLE and I hate adding weight to a plane. I have the batteries as far forward as I can get them. I normally fly on the tail heavy side of the C/G window but this may be a bit far out of that window. I guess I could try it for a short flight before fuel gets too low...

JohnB96041 07-03-2013 08:58 AM

I balance mine at the 6.75" mark. I have two 125's. One with a 30cc gas and one with Saito 1.25. Had both in the air yesterday and they fly great. I do some 3D flying, but mostly sport flying. I love my Funtana's.

JohnB96041 07-03-2013 08:59 AM

Sorry, That should have read 6.50" mark.

wildnloose 07-03-2013 10:40 AM

I have to ask, which one do you like to fly more.

JohnB96041 07-03-2013 10:43 AM

The Funtana with the 30cc engine is way over powered. I usually fly at half throttle. The one with the saito 1.25 flys great, but wish I had a 20cc for it.

wildnloose 07-03-2013 10:56 AM

I'm trying to decide between going electric and buying a 20cc (probably dle). I have a friend who has one with the DLE 20 and he loves it, says its the right combo of power/weight. He had a DLE 30 in it but thought it was a little too heavy for his liking. He did like the ower though.

JohnB96041 07-03-2013 11:12 AM

I vote for the DLE 20. I am trying to buy one from fellow RC club member. Still in the box, never been mounted or run. He is asking $250.00.

ahicks 07-03-2013 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

I am converting a used Funtana 125 fron 4 stroke nitro to DLE 20. I have looked at the manual and seen the ballance is between 6-3/8 in and 6-3/4 in FLE. Where have you guys decided the ''right'' spot is? Mine is coming out at about 7-1/4 in FLE and I hate adding weight to a plane. I have the batteries as far forward as I can get them. I normally fly on the tail heavy side of the C/G window but this may be a bit far out of that window. I guess I could try it for a short flight before fuel gets too low...

So much of this depends on the pilot? His experience, what he's looking for from the plane, etc. I generally fly tail heavy as well, some planes more than others? I would fly your plane at that point, but that's me. I know I flew mine well in back of suggested, but it's been too long to tell you exactly where that point was.

I would slow it down 3-4 mistakes high to see what it's going to do on final. Some planes will just keep raising the nose as they slow, further and further until they stop, literally. That's worst case though, and at that point you know you may have to hold some down on it, to allow it to maintain enough airspeed on short final. You can adjust for that afterward, or leave it as is if that's something you're used to?

A LOT of this (exact CG location) is going to be determined by what the plane is looking for to stay neutral on knife edge? That's generally what makes up my mind. Suggested CG is for test flights.... -Al

JohnB96041 07-03-2013 01:21 PM

I agree. Both of my Funtana's tend to drop the tail on final. I have to keep some power on and still nudge the down elevator to keep airspeed up. I am use to this feature on the funtana's.

Mr67Stang 07-04-2013 03:53 AM

As I near completion the CG is about down to 7 in FLE and I am feeling better about that. I did not account for what I would have to add to mount the batteries and ignition box. My old X-100 always needed a little down elevator to get it to settle in as well. I generally search for a CG that will allow the plane to continue to climb or just slightly drop in a 45 degree inverted upline with the elevator neutral to the stabilizer.

Thanks for the tips!

ahicks 07-04-2013 04:19 AM

I spend a lot of time on knife edge, so that's how I determine "neutral" elevator. On it's side, the elevator becomes a rudder. If it's not neutral, you're going to know it very quickly! That's me though. -Al

quiet_please 07-17-2013 09:19 AM

I finally finished my 125. Went electric on 6s at first, balanced at about 7". WAY TOO tail heavy. I had to move the two ele servos forward using nyrod of all things. Moved the rudder servo using pull pull, I also decided to put in the YS 1.10 as well. Was going to be over 9 pounds on the E setup. Balance is now about 6.25" and fly's very well.
The wings are starting to turn yellow already. Has this issue been adressed?

Thanks,

<br type="_moz" />

allen_g30 07-17-2013 09:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDxqW...TOgQ7WAFrdWiRQ

how do you like it?

ahicks 07-17-2013 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: quiet_please

I finally finished my 125. Went electric on 6s at first, balanced at about 7''. WAY TOO tail heavy. I had to move the two ele servos forward using nyrod of all things. Moved the rudder servo using pull pull, I also decided to put in the YS 1.10 as well. Was going to be over 9 pounds on the E setup. Balance is now about 6.25'' and fly's very well.
The wings are starting to turn yellow already. Has this issue been adressed?

Thanks,

<br type=''_moz'' />
On the bold, yes that problem's been addressed to death. H9's standpoint? You abused it, or it's your imagination - despite the fact yellowed wings have been returned to them. It's the reason there is no Funtana in my stable currently. I refuse to support their assinine refusal to act on a problem they've known about for years now. They know perfectly well what those wings are going to start doing the minute they're exposed to direct sunlight. -Al

JohnB96041 07-17-2013 12:44 PM

knowing that the wings will yellow when exposed to sunlight, Try covering them while not flying. I have noticed in our club that our models set on the ground in direct sun light more than they are in the air flying. I have 2 of the Funtana 125's. Bought right after they hit the market. Neither has any yellowing on the wings and I fly almost every weekend that the wind is below 15 mph. I always cover the wings and tail while they are sitting on the ground or at least make sure they are in the shade. No Yellowing Here In OK. YET.

erieqc 07-17-2013 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Slow and Steady

I removed the yellowing with painters tape about a year and a half ago. My method is low tech but it works and requires about a half role of tape. Apply about a 10'' peice of tape to the white/yellow area (do not apply to colored areas) of the plane and then peal it off. The yellow will come off with the tape. It took about an hour to make the plane look new again. While I have since sold the plane, I see it regularly and it continues to look new.

By the way, I had a 30cc gas engine on it and it was too much torque and power. If I were to do it again, I would go with a DLE 20. A fellow at our field flies with this set up and he can do most any 3d menuever with it. Kind of makes sense, being that it was designed for a 20 gasser.
Here's what he tried it must have worked

quiet_please 07-18-2013 06:31 PM

The tape method does not seem to work on a new model. Mine started to turn yellow as soon as the sun hit the plane. I think the acetone idea will work, but I think I will wait until it gets much worse!!<div>
</div><div>
</div><div>Other than having to move all 4 servos in the fuse as far forward as possible, the plane flies great. Would be nice if H9 would have made provisions for all types of power plants.</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>

JohnB96041 07-22-2013 05:01 AM

Different question. Has anyone installed a DLE 20cc gas engine in the Funtana 125? If so, what motor mount did you use? What Modifications had to be made to the fire wall? The instruction manual for the DLE 20cc says to use a shock absorbing mount like the Dubro 1307. However, I don't seem to see how it will fit the firewall. Will the motor mount that came with the Funtana 125 kit work? I have been using it with a Saito 1.25 and no problems.

w1nd6urfa 09-25-2013 08:20 PM

John,
Use plastic not alum engine mount, see http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-...l#post10790454

Glass the firewall and landing gear mount area for reinforcement. Replace stock LG with carbon.

Read this thread, lots of useful info and mods

kmeyers 08-16-2015 05:12 PM

Update:

New mods made. No servos in the tail anymore. Along with the pull pull rudder I have gone to one servo for the elevators. This servo is ahead and above the rudder servo. I connected to the elevators with thin walled fiber glass push rods with .093 wire ends.

This removed 134 grams from the tail (the servo weight). This allowed me to remove 285 grams from the nose and 350 grams over all with the same cg as last year.

This plane is now a no excuse 3D flyer. I guess I have a lot of practicing to do.

Other changes are 17 x 6 Xoar prop instead of the 16 x 8 APC I used last year.

I am well under 9 lbs now, but, I need a better scale to give exact weight. With the DLE 20cc gasser and this low weight I have unlimited vertical, and flying at a crawl.

gasayers 08-16-2015 09:11 PM

Gee I wish they would make this plane again. There's nothing on the market I can find of it's type.
Fortunately I have two of them but sooner or later they'll fall out of the sky.
please let me know if you reckon there is a equivelent or better.
Cheers

JohnB96041 08-17-2015 09:02 AM

Love my Funtana's. I have the Yellow S-90 with a Saito 1.25 4S, the Blue,Orange,White 100X with a Saito 1.25 4S, 2 of the Funtana 125's. One with a SAP 180 gas and one with a DLE 20. I REALLY love my Funtanas and fly all of them all the time. Just finished an AeroWorks GT Trainer and a 30cc Valiant and am currently getting them adjusted to my flying style.

JohnB96041 07-17-2016 12:40 PM

Need some help. I need 2 wing tubes for 2 Funtana 125's. Both were stolen along with my trailer last night.