RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   *Hangar 9 New Pulse 125* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8922593-%2Ahangar-9-new-pulse-125%2A.html)

AngLeo 05-20-2011 01:43 PM

RE: *Hangar 9 New Pulse 125*

Yes....it is not that hard to put a second rod in....I put a second rod and another servo,a little more difficult.But either is worth the work....as far as the sealing tape,there is a differance,stay away from the cheap stuff.I found that the DUCK brand is thicker and sticky compared to most...Scotch brand a close second.

doug_newman 05-21-2011 07:12 PM

I was able to fly the Pulse 125 for the first time.  With the Saito 100 I was tail heavy, had to add a lot of weight inside the cowel.  The DS821 were impresive.  No flutter in the tail and only have one servo running the rudder.  I did not tape the the elevator either but my Pulse 125 had monokote connecting the elevator to the stabilizer.  The Saito 100 is plenty of power, it will not quite hang from the prop.  I might get a 125 in the future.  The plane is very forgiving and just plain fun to fly.

blue77 05-25-2011 12:52 PM

Well heck...I have been wavering back and forth on the 125...had one on back order twice, and canceled, when they came in stock I went ahead and pulled the trigger....I'm looking at DLE 20 or Evolution 26 gassers....I think the Evolution will be a much easier install/fit....I've tried installing a DLE in a GP Revolver 70 and its a really tight fit...I once had a Pulse 60 and it was a great flyer, should never have sold it...I'll be posting pics...Thanks to all for the ideas of little changes and improvements...Later B7

blue77 05-28-2011 01:27 PM

I have been a stay-at-home care giver for the last 4 years and for that reason got out of the hobby a couple years ago...for several reasons I have gotten back in, mostly building and trading because I can't get away much or know when I can get away....thank goodness for the big brown airplane truck. Anyway I just started on the 125 and it seems to be a better and more complete ARF than it was 2-3 years ago, only problem so far is broken control horn on elevator...happened sometime after packing, also wings had several big dents in the covering but heat gun got them right out. I've put together a couple of GP ARFs lately, and this H9 is a good bit nicer....I don't think GP updates or improves their ARFs over the life span of the model.....Later, B7

scooterinvegas 05-30-2011 10:53 PM

I'm here to report that the Saito 115 with a APC 16x6 is a winner in the Pulse 125. Flew it before with a 15x7, didn't climb out as well is I would have liked. 16x6 is perfect on the 115. Needs about 4oz of nose wight though.

blue77 06-01-2011 04:28 AM

Well....3 things...DLE 20 with the little pitts from VV is a good fit, but will still require a lot of cowl trimming...I may not use cowl for awhile, does anyone have a used cowl they would like to sell? I bought an Evolutions 26GX here on RCU, but its a little big, I'll be selling it at a great price $295 plus shipping, includes wraparoung pitts. And last I'm really having a problem getting the stupid rudder rod to move freely, I've tried sanding, light oil, opening up the back end...not much help so far....Later, B7

The1User 06-01-2011 05:36 AM

Hello blue77,

I got my rudder to move much better by going to my LHS and buying a new rod, seems the LSH rod was just ever so "lighter" or "thinner" and it made all the difference
(especially since it cost like $1 !!)

Now my rudder is fine

Hopes this helps

Joe

hold20032003 06-05-2011 04:10 PM

Hello guys

Can i use the stock engine mount withe the DLE 20cc ?
and what is the correct position for the DLE 20 cc?

blue77 06-05-2011 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Joe...Like you suggested..got a new rod, made a big difference...Thanks, Here are couple pics of where I am so far..test fitting the engine and muffler and the landing gear I got from TnT...B7

Ken Cz 06-22-2011 04:55 PM

If anyone is still struggling for an answer to the 'swept back' landing gear problem that results in nose overs, especially on thick grass, I have finally found a good low-cost solution.

Initially, I moved the stock landing forward about 25 mm and added some shims to the rear to pivot the wheels even farther forward and this seemed to help but I still had to hold a lot of elevator during take-offs until I got some speed up and lifted off. Also still had the occasional prop strike on landing. (not a pro-pilot for sure)

I recently found a new solution.

I purchased a set (2 pc style) of landing gear for the Hangar 9 'Frenzy 100' ARF which is no longer in Production. This gear DOES NOT have the rearward sweep of the stock gear - it comes off the fuse straight down and results in moving the wheels a good 1.5 inches forward. In addition, the Frenzy gear - Horizon Hobby Part # HAN4708 - is taller which results in greatly increased prop clearance. I found it a great benfit on landings as prop strikes are far less likely.

For installation I was able to use 2 of the existing blind nuts for attachments (1 on each side) and then drilled a clearance hole through the mounting block using the other hole in the gear as a guidle.
I simply used a #6 screw with a large diameter washer and lock nut on the back side. No need for a blind nut. There is plenty of room to do this once you have removed the glow tank.

Only issue that took some time was mounting the wheel pants since the original gear uses 2 screws and the Frenzy gear only uses one. Took a little re-work to the pants but no big deal. Another solution would be to use the Sig wheel pants mounts that sell for about $5.

Nice part of it is this gear set only cost me about $9.00 at the LHS and to boot - It is already painted the correct ORANGE color!! Looks great, nose overs a thing of the past and tons more prop clearance if you want to use 15 or 16 inch prop.

My LHS had another set of the Frenzy gear in stock and would be glad to ship them too you if you can't get them from HH. PM me and I will provide the name and contact info.

JoeMamma 06-22-2011 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Ken Cz

If anyone is still struggling for an answer to the 'swept back' landing gear problem that results in nose overs, especially on thick grass, I have finally found a good low-cost solution.

Initially, I moved the stock landing forward about 25 mm and added some shims to the rear to pivot the wheels even farther forward and this seemed to help but I still had to hold a lot of elevator during take-offs until I got some speed up and lifted off. Also still had the occasional prop strike on landing. (not a pro-pilot for sure)

I recently found a new solution.

I purchased a set (2 pc style) of landing gear for the Hangar 9 'Frenzy 100' ARF which is no longer in Production. This gear DOES NOT have the rearward sweep of the stock gear - it comes off the fuse straight down and results in moving the wheels a good 1.5 inches forward. In addition, the Frenzy gear - Horizon Hobby Part # HAN4708 - is taller which results in greatly increased prop clearance. I found it a great benfit on landings as prop strikes are far less likely.

For installation I was able to use 2 of the existing blind nuts for attachments (1 on each side) and then drilled a clearance hole through the mounting block using the other hole in the gear as a guidle.
I simply used a #6 screw with a large diameter washer and lock nut on the back side. No need for a blind nut. There is plenty of room to do this once you have removed the glow tank.

Only issue that took some time was mounting the wheel pants since the original gear uses 2 screws and the Frenzy gear only uses one. Took a little re-work to the pants but no big deal. Another solution would be to use the Sig wheel pants mounts that sell for about $5.

Nice part of it is this gear set only cost me about $9.00 at the LHS and to boot - It is already painted the correct ORANGE color!! Looks great, nose overs a thing of the past and tons more prop clearance if you want to use 15 or 16 inch prop.

My LHS had another set of the Frenzy gear in stock and would be glad to ship them too you if you can't get them from HH. PM me and I will provide the name and contact info.
Glad to hear you solved your noseover problem.:D

I fly from grass, sometimes thick long grass. After seeing how far rearward the wheel centerline was, and reading here at RCU about the same noseover problem some of the fellahs were having, I decided to kick mine forward. I hate nicking up my props.[:@]

Can't remember how much I moved it forward...........maybe 1 1/2"-1 3/4" (see picture).

Even if the grass is long, she takes off without having to work the elevator to death to prevent a noseover. It's nice to just add some power and see the tail rise to a nice horizontal position, main wheels still rolling on the ground, then lift off with no tendency to nose over.

Joe M.

Ken Cz 06-22-2011 07:32 PM

Looks good! I had moved my about 1 in. or 25mm and it was definitely not that far forward. Guess that 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch made the difference.
Glad you solved the problem and can now enjoy the experience!

JoeMamma 06-23-2011 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Flying wires..........some cheap insurance for your Pulse 125.

Was recently doing some inside square loops. My Pulse started to get a little squirrley.

After landing I saw the left side of my horizontal stabilizer had developed some cracks near the fuse.[&o]

No serious damage so I pulled off the covering and reglued the stab.

Then made up a set of flying wires for some cheap insurance.:)

Joe M.

carlb1120 06-23-2011 09:54 AM

Joe

Flying wires to strengthen the horizontal & vertical stabilizer are a great idea!  I have been thinking about doing the same.  Can you tell me about the hardware you used, any special issues you encountered, and where you purchased the parts.

I also noticed that you replaced the stock rear steering wheel.  I have been having problems with mine bending and having to be constantly readjusted.  Who's rear wheel are you using and where did you get it?  Anything special about the installation?

Thanks,

Carl Bullock

JoeMamma 06-23-2011 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: carlb1120

Joe

Flying wires to strengthen the horizontal & vertical stabilizer are a great idea! I have been thinking about doing the same. Can you tell me about the hardware you used, any special issues you encountered, and where you purchased the parts.

I also noticed that you replaced the stock rear steering wheel. I have been having problems with mine bending and having to be constantly readjusted. Who's rear wheel are you using and where did you get it? Anything special about the installation?

Thanks,

Carl Bullock

The rear landing gear is a Sullivan unit. They make four different sizes. They can be used on any aircraft where the bottom of the rudder is even with the bottom of the fuselage. http://www.sullivanproducts.com/Land...rMainFrame.htm

I have them on every taildragger I have in my hanger. Nice heavy-duty gear........never any problems. The one nice thing about them is the spring they use. If you land a little rough, the spring will help dampen out any damage to the rudder servo.

Installation of the rear landing gear on each plane is different, so there is a little wood fabrication to do.

Flying wires ? I made up the flying wires from bits and pieces of hardware I had laying around my shop. I believe I've seen a complete flying wire setup at my local hobby shop.

Joe M.

Brian Smith 06-30-2011 12:58 PM

Got my Pulse 125 today. I'm very pleased. Going to do the Sullivan tail wheel for sure as well as tail flying wires. I have a Saito FG 20 on hand I was going to use.. I want to invert the engine. Can do with the Saito, but they handle much better upright. (for me at least) Now I noticed the FG20 is much heavier than the DLE 20. So I'm trying to pull the trigger on the DLE 20. Wonder what y'all think?? Brian

Brian Smith 06-30-2011 01:00 PM

So B77 did you/are you going with the DLE 20?? Brian

ORIGINAL: blue77

Joe...Like you suggested..got a new rod, made a big difference...Thanks, Here are couple pics of where I am so far..test fitting the engine and muffler and the landing gear I got from TnT...B7

MercerAUST 06-30-2011 06:39 PM

I think the FG20 will be fine. I doubt the extra weight will matter much, and can be easily balanced out through battery placement and a smaller fuel tank. If you are going to fly the plane a lot, you will get about twice the economy of a 20cc two-stroke.

The FG-20 will certainly allow you to fly the plane within its design limits and you can use the extra torque to power through manouveres. I doubt you will get much vertical, compared to the two stroke alternative, but I doubt you will miss that too much.

ahicks 07-02-2011 05:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Brian Smith

Got my Pulse 125 today. I'm very pleased. Going to do the Sullivan tail wheel for sure as well as tail flying wires. I have a Saito FG 20 on hand I was going to use.. I want to invert the engine. Can do with the Saito, but they handle much better upright. (for me at least) Now I noticed the FG20 is much heavier than the DLE 20. So I'm trying to pull the trigger on the DLE 20. Wonder what y'all think?? Brian

Just do it....

scooterinvegas 07-04-2011 04:33 PM

I have a DLE20 for my Pulse 125, but it flys so good with the Saito 115, Ive been draging my feet on getting the DLE in it.

Brian Smith 07-14-2011 04:52 PM

So has any one actually flown a Pulse 125 with the DLE 20? I want to hear about it. My Rascal is flying wonderful with the DLE 20 and am really considering another one for my Pulse.. Thanks. Brian

tailskid 07-14-2011 06:13 PM

That would make two of us!

Brian Smith 07-14-2011 07:14 PM

Hi Buddy
You flying DLE 20s out there?? Do you miss us? Brian

ORIGINAL: tailskid

That would make two of us!

Clay Walters 07-14-2011 09:21 PM

DLE20 in mine. Not sure I'd do it again as its crowded and also way more power than the plane needs

Brian Smith 07-15-2011 03:05 AM

Thanks Clay. Brian

ORIGINAL: Clay Walters

DLE20 in mine. Not sure I'd do it again as its crowded and also way more power than the plane needs