RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   *Hangar 9 New Pulse 125* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8922593-%2Ahangar-9-new-pulse-125%2A.html)

Zippi 07-10-2009 06:08 PM

*Hangar 9 New Pulse 125*

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't seen anything about the new pulse 125 that is due out later this month. Anyone looking at getting this one? There is a fellow at our field that had the 40 size with a Saito .82 and the 60 size he currently flys with an OS .75. He seems to really like the way the planes fly so I look for him to get this one as well. Nice looking plane.

craigss11 07-10-2009 08:46 PM

RE: *Hangar 9 New Pulse 125*

I've ordered one along with a Saito 150 4 stroke just waiting for it's arrival:)
Already have a 40 size with an OS 55ax and a 60 size with a Saito 115 and both are just excellent planes and fly with ease
Cheers[8D]

ro347 07-10-2009 09:06 PM

Great sport planes...and easy to fly!!!

Zippi 07-15-2009 07:00 AM

Both versions look like they fly very well and I expect the 125 will fly the same. The fellow at our club talked with Horizon when he got his 60 size because there was an issue and he was told that the 60 size was not made at the same facility as the 40 and the quality was not as good on the 40. Wonder where the 125 is being put together?

blue77 07-16-2009 07:32 AM

I had a 60 size with Saito 100.......great plane, and spoils you because it is so easy to fly.....couple of issues, hatch cover wants to fly off and the gear is too short if you are on grass fields. If the planes ever arrive, delayed now until late August, I plan on getting one. WC

victorzamora 07-16-2009 10:02 AM

Seems like a lightweight 26cc gasser would do incredible things on that plane....and possibly be a good intro to gas. Don't ya'think?

curtster 10-06-2009 11:37 PM

Well. I'm about 3/4 of the way thru the "build" of my Pulse 125, and I've got to say that I'm impressed. Typical H9 quality and fit/finish. I just mounted my trusty OS 120 FS on the nose and it's getting close to done. Looks like it'll be easy to get it balanced without any lead.
I've been flying the e-flite 25 version for quite a while now, and if the big one flies as nicely as the .25 does, it'll be a winner! I'll keep everyone posted!

Curt

craigss11 10-08-2009 10:44 PM

I'm nearly finished my build,been too busy to complete it for the past 2 weeks[&o]
Will hopefully fly it this w/end[8D]
Typical H9 quality and finish,the pre hinged ailerons,fitted pushrod tubes are a bonus
Cheers[8D]

PTS 10-13-2009 12:50 AM

Caution! The 5.50" firewall to prop hub on my plane was 0.25" off. I measured 5.25" and the spinner backplate was right on. FYI!!!

Kostas1 10-13-2009 01:21 AM

I'd like to subscribe to the thread ,for more info! ;)

marksz1 10-13-2009 05:11 PM

I am currently building my Pulse 125 and have plans on maybe placing a Saito 180 on the front, but I wonder if this engine will pull this airframe apart, otherwise I have an Evolution 120 I can use, any thoughts?

w8ye 10-13-2009 06:50 PM

The 180 is a real thumper. You had better beef it up

The Saito 125 has the external size of the 100

AngLeo 10-14-2009 07:46 PM

Hi....Well,I fell in love with the pulse when I first saw it.Ive been flying a few years ,then went to racing offroad 1/8th scales,but its to hectic and now I just started flying/building arfs again....so I bought the pulse.I built and all went well,a few minor issues,like the wheel collars are very cheap,so plan on some better and the bolt together rear stab moves a bit so epoxy it....Anyway....I took her up,first time last week and she flew wonderfully,but on the second flight after checking it out thoughly,the factory installed rear elevator flap came loose and then completly off during flight !!! Needless to say she spiraled to the earth uncontrolable and impacted to destruction....a total loss.Was very upset.I called and talked to Horizon and they instructed me to send the plane in for warranty consideration for possible replacement do to the workmanship.Im send out today...let ya know.So if ya buy this...BE SURE TO ADD CA TO ALL THE FACTORY INSTALLED CONTROL SURFACES AND TAPE THEM TOO!!. I pray that Horizon does something cause this plane rocks....easy to fly/land and is very cool looking and big...very nice arf accept forthe problem.I put the EVO 1.2 2stroke in it with Futaba FASST radio.Horizon is normally very good with customer service...so Ill be expecting a new Pulse in the mailbox....ussually takes a couple weeks/months.....but even if they dont....would buy another cause its that much fun to fly.

mobyal 10-14-2009 09:18 PM

I have an EVO 1.0 NIB. Think that'd fly this one all right? I'm a sport flier, not a 3D type...
Al

AngLeo 10-14-2009 09:28 PM

I do...for as little as I flew it.....the 1.2 was plenty o' power....had to up the prop to 16x6....from 15"....the 15 for you should work great for the 1.0

mobyal 10-14-2009 09:34 PM

OK, thanks. Think I'll give this a try.

kryptonite 10-15-2009 09:59 AM

The Pulse is a very nice flying ARF ( I have the 40 version ) but IMO the 125 is somewhat overpriced for a sub-80-inch plane, especially in this recessionary times. This and the fact that is far too similar to the 60 model.

Those of you contemplating this plane but am turned off by the price should check out the World's Models Super Senior Sports. That plane is currently on sale at Airborne Model's website for about half the price of the Pulse 125 in the overstock bin. The Super Sports Senior is very similar to the Pulse and at 81 inches is IMAA legal. I personally find that WM ARFs are better covered and trimmed than Hangar 9s, but H9 has far superior manuals and support if you need it.

Not connected with either firm, of course - just wanted to let everybody know the choices out there.

AngLeo 10-15-2009 07:24 PM

Yea...its a nice plane....but,its an electric only.Looks easy to set for nitro,but who knows.The Pulse is set up with instuctions for all 3,nitro-2 or 4 stroke,and the hardware for electric.Plus the Pulse seems to have much better parts on it....the wings are differant,and look at the differance in the landing gear.....just my 2 cents.

AngLeo 10-18-2009 04:41 PM

Well....my Pulse is back at HH and they're investigating the mishap.So, with the Funtana on back order everywhere....Im pullin my hair out with nothing to fly or play with....with lots of nice flying days too,so I ordered another Pulse at my LHS,due in this coming week.It will take some time for Horizon to decide and might not even replace the crash one,if they do...then will sell the other,or keep for a back-up.Thats what happens when ya dont reglue/seal the surfaces regardless what the manual says.

AngLeo 10-31-2009 06:50 AM

Wow! Horizon replaced the wrecked Pulse due to the elevator flap mishap! A brand new ARF showed up to-day!....only 2 weeks after I sent it! Kudos to HH for the BEST customer service period....they stand behind what they make and sell.To bad I bought another one last week,and just completed and flew on tues....now I have Two.Will likely keep a a back-up,or if anyone is intrested in it, I will sell the new or the built one at a great price.It will help fund the Funtana build.Just dont forget with the Pulse to TAPE ALLsurfaces,I put 3010 servos at the rud. and elev.,change the set screws for the wheel collers and needs the rec pack and 2 oz. of weight (theres a great spot under the tank,behind the engine wall)And it will be close to balanced....It flys great.The only trouble is when your taking off/landing the plane will tend to nose over....especially just when you taxi to takeoff..A taller gear or tires will help I think.

curtster 11-06-2009 12:19 AM

ORIGINAL: AngLeo

Wow! Horizon replaced the wrecked Pulse due to the elevator flap mishap! A brand new ARF showed up to-day!....only 2 weeks after I sent it! Kudos to HH for the BEST customer service period....they stand behind what they make and sell.To bad I bought another one last week,and just completed and flew on tues....now I have Two.Will likely keep a a back-up,or if anyone is intrested in it, I will sell the new or the built one at a great price.It will help fund the Funtana build.Just dont forget with the Pulse to TAPE ALL surfaces,I put 3010 servos at the rud. and elev.,change the set screws for the wheel collers and needs the rec pack and 2 oz. of weight (theres a great spot under the tank,behind the engine wall)And it will be close to balanced....It flys great.The only trouble is when your taking off/landing the plane will tend to nose over....especially just when you taxi to takeoff.. A taller gear or tires will help I think.

AngLeo,

I read your story with quite a bit of interest, as I had almost THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME! I was about 3 minutes into the maiden flight of my Pulse 125, just cruising around and getting the feel of it, when all of a sudden there was a loud CRACK! sound and something started fluttering behind the tail. I quickly realized that I was still flying, so I yelled "landing" and brought it in. On final, I realized what was wrong, as one entire half of the elevator was dangling loose behind the plane! I decided that there was going to be no go-around on this one! I was just lucky that the side that was NOT driven by the servo had failed, or my situation would have been just like yours! My LHS (Marty's Hobbies in Thousand Oaks, CA) ordered me a new tail and sent the other back for warranty.

One thing that bugs me is that I had a buddy check over the plane for me right before I flew it. He poked, prodded and pulled on everything and, as I had done, found nothing loose. I'm planning on flying the fixed P125 tomorrow morning, but I guess now I need to tape the surfaces before I do.

BTWI'm running the Power 110 motor with a 16x8 APC and it went straight up on 8 cells! I hope it turns out to be strong enough for the type of flying I like to do, 'cuz the 25 size pulse is my favorite plane.

Curt

AngLeo 11-07-2009 10:49 AM

Amazing....it happened again! On mine apon inspection later...its shows the flap on the non horn side came off,I turned in to land and found the servo gears striped out....losing all elev. control....Ive installed stronger servos since(FUT3010) And a 2000 nimh pack.Make sure ya add CA to all the hinges along with sealing....its a little light.My favorite plane too....she flys great....turns alot of heads,and with mine a EVO 1.2 2-stroke has plenty of mustard and it flys great fast....so you can put in alot of power.....youll like...just watch your control throws.set @ manual settings....more puts to much stress on the servos...with standards,too much,and when she is flying fast....shes ALOT touchy-er,be carefull.Ive had great time flying since the mishap with no problem and HH gave me a whole new Pulse.Now to build a Funtana 125.

curtster 11-07-2009 12:54 PM

AngLeo

Well, I took the Pulse out to fly yesterday, complete with extra glued and taped control surfaces. I was still a little gun-shy, but managed to get 4 flights in on it without incident. Each flight got a little more agro, with the last one doing knife edge, loops, rolls, hovers, etc. Still no real bashing, but what a nice plane! My goodness does it land slowly! I guess now it's time to build confidence in the airframe and work up to more crazy stuff. I did notice that mine needs quite a bit of down elevator to maintain inverted flight... a sure sign of a forward CG.
It really is a head turner at the field, even though the old farts complain that there's no exhaust noise :D.
You mention that your servo had stripped out... what were you using on the first flights? I've got Futaba 3152 sport digitals on all my surfaces. I think they oughtta handle it.
Gotta quit typing and head to the field. Fly safe!

AngLeo 11-10-2009 07:44 PM

The first time....was a stand. 3004....mistake using it....now have 3010 hi torque,standard, composite gear....theyre strong, light and the gears are much better.....didnt feel the need for metal/Dig.....NOW,I went flyin Sun. and beleive it.....The non servo side did it again!!! After sealing too,it torn it and came off.But because of the strong servo,I was able to land without damage....thank God!.So I repaired nicely....and put pins thru the horz. stab and the elev. flap/hinges,glued it well,and sealed both sides.It worked well .Went up t-day and all is well.I am though,considering setting it up with dual elev.servos....its very possible.Wouldnt be to hard,just move the throttle servo to the other side and put the rudder up frt,and run a tube to the opp.side of the elev..The fuse has holes for the tube,rod andcontrol horn,and the two rearward servos would both be elev. servos.Im seeing this plane as having lots of up and there is alot of stress on the flap,duals would fix and if one goes....your safe,the surface is kinda big.She flew great t-day.At full trottle though,at a low,very fast flybye....I noticed the elev. flap ever so slightly fluttering....be careful at full wang!!.Another reason to run two servos,would take the slight play out of the non driven side.I may also beef up th stab. or even install a strut supports.I dont want any more elev.problems.She is a very nice flying plane....definately a keeper and worth the extra work...Thx!

PTS 11-12-2009 02:06 AM

My tail surface started to come apart due to a extreme flutter at the counter balances. I inspected the plane and the elevator guide tube broke in several places. This plane point blank has a flutter problem severly as we witnessed on fly by.

Hangar 9 needs to chime in here and take note.