RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Larger Revolver (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/9143970-larger-revolver.html)

Widget 01-26-2010 03:52 PM

RE: Larger Revolver

I have neck surgery this Friday, but the Silver Lining is, I also have 3 months off work and OFF the road for re-couping right when the weather is getting better here in Origun! So, thanks for the "Flight Report" on the slow and fast abilities of the Revolver! OS vs ST can easily be supprted when you see that the same size OS91 drives a 1 inch larger prop than the ST90. OS is just a higher quality engine, BUT!!! Much MUCH more spendy, which justifies the purchase of a ST if ya don't feel like deliverin' Pizzas after working all day at your regular job... But, back to the Large Revolver, I am stoked that it has good/great stall characteristics AND speed! After considering the economy we're suffering through, I just lowered my rcu add OS 1.20AX (another cheap sales-pitch!!! :eek:) to $250 a while ago, but if it doesn't sell in a week or so, I WILL be putting it in the Revolver! Now, I just wonder if I can get the Ins Company to buy it for me as a "medical expense", as in "Rehabilitation" device???? :)

jet22b 01-26-2010 04:15 PM

Widget;

I hope everything goes well on your neck surgery this Firday!! If I was you, I would keep the OS 1.20AX and put it in the large Revolver and have fun!!! Like you said in your post, it will not be long before the good flying weather will be here. Time for me to stock up on fuel before the good weather hit and before any price change!! Like I said before, during knife edge in this bird is "sick"!! And she also do a sweet snap-roll Also invert flight need some down stick to stay level. One more thing, if you have the only Revolver at your club flying field, keep an eye on your TX!!! They will ask to fly her!!!:D:D

Take care!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

albsurfer 01-26-2010 05:33 PM

TRUE. But... the OS 91FX is no longer in production, SO.. you have to pay $279.99 for the 95AX, instead, or go for the $269.99 1.20AX if you want an OS that size. The ST 90 is now a pretty good bargain. The Magnum .91 is up for sale at a reasonable price, but I haven't seen very many USA advertisers.

frankeldan 01-26-2010 05:42 PM

Hi guys .. Lots of action on this thread today.
I saw my name mentioned in one of the posts.

I went with the Super Tiger 90 and a bisson pitts muffler. This is an awesome choice. Very inexpensive 2 stroke. More than enough power. I'm running a 13X6 prop with good results but when the weather turns better I have a 12x9 12X10 to check out for more SPEEEEEEEEDDDDD.

later,

Dan

jet22b 01-26-2010 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: frankeldan

I went with the Super Tiger 90 and a bisson pitts muffler. This is an awesome choice. Very inexpensive 2 stroke. More than enough power. I'm running a 13X6 prop with good results but when the weather turns better I have a 12x9 12X10 to check out for more SPEEEEEEEEDDDDD.

later,

Dan
Hi Dan;
I hope you did not mind me droping you name. Widget saw your vid and he like your setup!! It won't be long before we have good weather and the Revolvers will be in the air!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

bradywat23 01-26-2010 06:54 PM

Hobbypeople.com has the magnum for just about nuttin. The new .91 is about $150 and i got one on mine.

frankeldan 01-26-2010 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: jet22b

ORIGINAL: frankeldan

later,

Dan
Hi Dan;
I hope you did not mind me droping you name. Widget saw your vid and he like your setup!! It won't be long before we have good weather and the Revolvers will be in the air!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
No problem at all. I figured I'de respond to the post.

I can't wait to fly mine again. My DX7 radio crapped out. I sent it for repair and instead of investing the $$$ to fix they gave me a deal on the new JR9503. So .. the new radio is sweet but I have to program all the flights modes back in ... for all my planes .. including the revolver.

I have been working on my larger planes for the last 2 weeks. the 33% edge is ready to go as well as the patty wagstaff extra 300.

Weather Gods ... Give us a break here.. !!!!

Later All,

Dan

albsurfer 01-26-2010 07:26 PM

Hobbypeople lists the 4S .91 for sale, but not the 2S. The 2S Magnum XLS91A can be bought at AbellRC ( http://abellrc.com/abellrchome.html ) for $139.99, with a muffler.

Widget 01-26-2010 08:48 PM

Jett22, DANG it... I think ya just talked me into it.... I had dropped the price today on the 120AX and was then wondering "why bother" selling it anyway? Thanks!!! [8D] Thanks for your thoughts (and prayers) on my neck. I got me a good Doc who specializes in "minimal invasive surgery", so what USE to take hours and leave ya in the hospital for a few days is now a 1 hour surgery and I go home that night, Lord willing...
Good Video: If you haven't watched Frankeldan's Youtube, you are missing a GREAT flight demonstartion! It is one of the best examples of how awesome this Revolver really is.
Frankledan, keep experimenting with props! I wanna hear the sound barrier being broken! [>:]
Albsurfer, I am SHOCKED at what they want for the 95AX!!! I have a low-hours 91FX that I love. I dread the day I gotta buy another engine now. As to the 120AX, I bought it for a "pusher project" that just didn't work out. My plane was bigger than my runway... [&o] So to speak... But, my next few clicks is going to take down the For-Sale sign on it and as soon as I can get around again, a new Revolver will be commin' via Big Brown Truck! ;)

Widget 01-26-2010 09:03 PM

I meant that "Good Video" post to everyone BUT Jet22, cuz' Jet22 is the one who helped ME connect the dots to Frankeldan....:D Anyway, it's been a long day...:(

Tony Gag Jr. 01-30-2010 08:55 PM

I received my Revolver today and I am super impressed with the quality of this ARF. This is by the far the best quality most complete ARF I have ever seen. Thanks Great Planes!!

Widget 01-30-2010 09:22 PM

I made it. Out of neck suregry and home already (24 hrs later), all disc pain is gone, numb/tingling in the arm, hand and fingers is gone and I'm Right Handed again!:D The Surgeon also told me that I am 1/8th a inch taller with my new plastic disc... [X(]
Now, don't be jealous, but I have 3 months of paid vacation ahead of me for re-coup time, and I'm ordering the Revolver tomorrow and matching it up to the 120AX.:)

capt1597 01-30-2010 09:46 PM

way to go dude! happy flying, capt

jet22b 01-30-2010 10:27 PM

Widget;
Glad to hear your neck suregry went okay!!! I hope you kept the 120AX engine like I told you!!! You will love this bird and if you need any help with the build, just post!!
Remember, three months go by fast, so get to ordering and building!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

mike boxtall 01-31-2010 12:28 AM

So I managed to squeeze the Saito 180 into the cowl. I was pleasently surprised to find that only the valve covers are sticking out, then unpleasently surprised to find that I now am in need of a 90degree adapter or I cut the cowl to suit. I may cut he cowl to suit because I can just cut the profile of the muffler. If it looks like a dogs breakfast I can always get another but it shouldn't look too bad.

Widget 01-31-2010 10:27 AM

Thanks Guys!!! I'm on my way to "normal" again! And YES Jet22b... Upon your first advice I cancelled the add and kept the 1.20AX:D And Thanks too for the offer on Build Advice. 25 years into this Hobby and I STILL don't know EVERYTHING.... Hmmmmm.... ;)

frankeldan 02-01-2010 03:05 PM

I can only imagine how this plane is going to scream with the Saito and the OS in it.
You guys are going to love it.
I have a Saito 1.25 in my Frenzy and it's my most reliable best running engine I own. I also just put a Saito 180 in my Twist 150. Can't wait to run that one in..
Can someone tell me when spring comes .. I can't wait anymore!!!!!

Ok .. Down to the garage to play ... On todays list is toinstall a .76gms with Bisson pitts muffles on amy old faithful Goldberg Cub.

Here's a couple pics of my PW300 that I just finished .. to keep the thread real,I think you can see my revolver hanging up in the background

Later Gents..

Dan

jet22b 02-01-2010 03:33 PM

Dan;

I told you to stay out of the "man cave"!!!!:D Tomorrow is Ground Hog Day, so if you can get him to stay in his hole, spring will come soon. I am like you. flying in the winter is good, but very short flight time because of cold fingers!!! My fuel locker is full now and I am ready for spring!!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Michael.L. 02-01-2010 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the Revolver I'm building, trying to upload a photo for the first time here.

Michael.L. 02-02-2010 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Guess I did it right. My Revolver has an OS 75ax, Slimline pitts, Futaba S3010's, R617FS rx, plan on 6 volt bat, still researching choices. I read the "small" Revolver thread and this one and the wealth of information was amazing. I did the main gear mod to strengthen it.

A few more build photos,

</p>

frankeldan 02-02-2010 01:19 AM

Perfect.. Nice job on the gear. It will be the only thing left in tact if you put her in .. Not that you will mind you..

Weatherman is calling for a little warmer weather this week. If so I'll take mine out with the 12X10 prop to see if I can squeek some more speed out of it.

Later,

Dan

Widget 02-02-2010 07:45 AM

After looking at the Landing Gear Mod, I was wondering... Do you think that if I attach some aluminum angle bracing further out the nose and cowl area, a little along the wings and tail surfaces and maybe just a strap or two behind the canopy, the whole plane might survive a full throttle dive into terrafirma????? :D I jest of course, but then again???? :)

Tony Gag Jr. 02-02-2010 08:55 AM

Is everyone having issues with the gear pulling out?

Widget 02-02-2010 09:11 AM

All gear has the 'potential' to rip out, but what I read (concerning the small Revolver) was the collateral damage the gear did to the rest of the Fuse on it's way out.

mschulz531 02-02-2010 09:44 AM

Looks like your "assistant" is just as eager about the plan as you must be!
Hope you enjoy the assembly and the flying as so many others on this thread have shared!