RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Larger Revolver (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/9143970-larger-revolver.html)

wjcalhoun 05-06-2012 06:21 PM

RE: Larger Revolver

Iceman
The canopy bolts are 4-40; length is immaterial, so long as they are at least about 3/4" long
1" is fine; 1 1/4 is fine, etc

ICEM@N 05-06-2012 11:27 PM

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Iceman
The canopy bolts are 4-40; length is immaterial, so long as they are at least about 3/4'' long
1'' is fine; 1 1/4 is fine, etc

thats the dimensions ... Thanks man .

ICEM@N 05-06-2012 11:33 PM

MACH2 , believe me , RCGF 20cc is much better . All DLE 20cc in Hobbyshops are getting dust , just because , RCGF have the same weight , more powerfull and exact the same setting up facilities. Once you try this you will leave all the DLE for a garage sell.
RCGF has more effective response , a lot of power ( flying , the difference is higher than the 2,6 / 2,9 hp listted at the spec. sheets) , and the "BM" model is the most recently engine of RCGF , otherwise , the 15cc is terrible !!!!
But believe me , 20cc BM is a must !

jstanton 05-07-2012 02:03 AM

Flew my second Rev-7- with the DLE-20 in it Saturday. I love this plane and combo. The DLE-20 has all the power one would want and with a Xoar 17x6 prop it is fast with unlimited verticle. I did have one little problem. I fly off of a grass runway and on a=the third flight the landing gear just reaped out on what I would call a normal landing. I will admit it did bounce once than when it settled down the gear just came off. It was not to bad and I just epoxied the plywood gear mount back on and reenforecd it with expoxied fiberglass cloth. I also changed the landing gear to the Dubro gear for 60 size aircraft.

Luchnia 05-07-2012 03:31 AM

Here is an example of why you should always go with your gut instincts. I flew the Rev several times Saturday and when I was done I did my usual empty tank routine and was not paying any real close attention. This plane is a glow fuel plane. Yesterday, I put it together and noticed that the tank still had fuel in it. My instinct was saying you better check this and not fly it right now. Well, I figured I just missed getting all the fuel out Saturday and no big deal.

So I fired her up and started with a couple circuits, inverts, rolls, etc. Then I came back with a fly-by then slowly moved to a low vertical and went straight up vertical with some juice. Next thing I know the engine dies and I am pressed with the wonderful deadstick. I am so glad I had good height before this thing knocked off because I was low when I started my upline.

I had plenty of time and room and yet I still managed to nose it over on landing it too hot from the deadstick which was my error. I have not had a unintentional deadstick in a very, very, long time and I just did not give the plane enough room yet I had gobs of room. It did very little damage, mostly messed my wheelpants up, which the fascinating thing is I just bought some from microdon! Timing is amazing on this one!

So here is the jist of the story and the root problem. I pulled the fuel tank out and the fuel lines were in small pieces about 1 to 2 inches long laying in the tank with the clunk. I normally take the stock lines out when I assemble a new plane and put higher quality line on which I did on the external lines but for some odd reason I had left the factory lines on the inside of the tank. I must have thought they were good lines. Pure junk and I knew better than to leave those lines in the tank. They were the bluish clear lines from the factory setup.

This plane is about two- three years old. If you are running glow and if you have stock factory fuel lines you might want to use my experience as an example to check those lines out! Might save your plane if it knocks off at the wrong time.

microdon2 05-07-2012 04:15 AM

Luchnia - About your damaged wheelpants, I just fixed a set of badly cracked wheelpants (on a different plane) last week with fiberglass and 30 min expoxy. The pants are now lots stronger than new.

Luchnia 05-07-2012 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Luchnia - About your damaged wheelpants, I just fixed a set of badly cracked wheelpants (on a different plane) last week with fiberglass and 30 min expoxy. The pants are now lots stronger than new.
Agreed. I will take the old ones and probably fix them for spares. One of them has quite a bit of damage but I will look it over. I have "glassed" quite a bit over the years even did some custom glass work on bikes back in the day (that was when I thought I was cool. I got older and learned just how uncool I really was back then [X(] ). I used to do some body/fender and paint work too so it is just a little time and effort.

You are right you can make them much stronger than original, although adds a tiny bit of weight. Oh, btw, the wheel pants look great [8D] and I slapped the new fuel lines in.

mach2 05-07-2012 08:42 AM

oooh, gas will eat up the silicone tubing. gotta have tygon. Im surprised that it lasted years!

Luchnia 05-07-2012 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: mach2

oooh, gas will eat up the silicone tubing. gotta have tygon. Im surprised that it lasted years!

No, my Rev 70 is glow/nitro fuel (OS 91FX). It had the right fuel line. It was just that factory junk they install that I used instead of changing it out. I run Viton and some Tygon on my gas planes and the high quality glow fuel line on my glow planes. Never had an issue until now and once I removed the old line I realized it was el-cheapo junk that who knows were it came from.

mach2 05-07-2012 12:16 PM

ah, okay. I thought you were a DLE20 guy. 

Is it recommended to replace the fuel tank and lines annually? Or is that gasser Im thinking of?  Ive only been flying for 5 months and my oldest plane got a new fuel system about a month ago. I got it used and replaced the system (except for the tank) because it wasn't right.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Cactus463 05-09-2012 05:00 AM

Try the aluminum bracket I posted and the Dubro gear and your landing gear problem will be solved

Luchnia 05-09-2012 08:20 AM

I must be the only one around running the stock landing gear on the Rev 70. I would like to see a set in carbon fiber just for the heck of it except cf is pricey when it comes to landing gear. Running the stock gear just makes me stay smooth on my landings....teaches me discipline ;) All joking aside, the Rev 70 makes an inexperienced RC pilot like me look good :D

jstanton 05-09-2012 08:41 AM

I looked at your post on how you did the repair of you gear and I have done the smae thing now. I really like the looks of the GP LG but the Dubro Gear is far move forgivings. I have it on 3 on my planes and never had an issue with it at all:D

Just to let you all know I fly off of a grass field and it had a few small holes here and there. [:'(] We try to fill them when we find them but we miss a few at the begining of flying season and that is what happened to my gear. My landing speed with the stock gear was alright but when the right wheel hit the hole it just ripped the gear right off[:@]

frankeldan 05-09-2012 11:18 AM

Wow.. 196 pages of revolver... Does it ever get tiring. I remember in the old days (maybe page 10)..we used to use nitro..

My revolver is on the bench with minor gear fix issues. Even after the beefing up the block came loose. But it did last for quite some time. Havent posted here in a while , but Ive been lurking. Flew is my first IMAC this year... Lots of fun for all you pilots that want to perfect your flying..

Cheers,

Dan

landeck 05-09-2012 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: frankeldan

Wow.. 196 pages of revolver... Does it ever get tiring. I remember in the old days (maybe page 10)..we used to use nitro..

I am assembling my second one now and am putting an OS .95V four stroke engine in it. The first one had a Magnum .91 four stroke and flew great. See, some of us are still using glow!:D

Bruce

capt1597 05-09-2012 11:42 AM

frankeldan, what level imac did you start at and what plane did you use? capt

microdon2 05-09-2012 12:57 PM

I know this is a Large Revolver thread, but does anyone have a spare, undamaged Rev 59 right wing they'd be willing to sell?

How about a right wing for a Rev 70?

afjetmech 05-09-2012 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

I must be the only one around running the stock landing gear on the Rev 70. I would like to see a set in carbon fiber just for the heck of it except cf is pricey when it comes to landing gear. Running the stock gear just makes me stay smooth on my landings....teaches me discipline ;) All joking aside, the Rev 70 makes an inexperienced RC pilot like me look good :D
You're not the only one. I'm on my second Rev 70 and my third set of gear with a spare set in waiting. Yeah, my landings could use some work, but I'm sticking with the stock gear because they just help make the plane look so cool.

mach2 05-09-2012 08:49 PM

i think that this thread keeps on keepin on because it just revolves guys through who come across this plane. So it goes in waves.

Frankeldan, what plane are you using in IMAC?

I didnt have my revs too long, but i ripped the first pair of gear out of mine, fixed it, and on the second one I put a bunch of epoxy on the inside because there is about three dabs of glue from the factory. And i also had both reinforced with the aluminum plates on top and the bottom of the gear. Ill do the same on my third plane. Ill keep using them until they prove to be a pain in the butt, even with preventative measures.

The stock gear are able to use the wheel pants and the sweep looks really cool. Although it does help to rip the gear out when doing carrier landings. I try not to do them. but it happens.

mach2 05-09-2012 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: landeck

ORIGINAL: frankeldan

I am assembling my second one now and am putting an OS .95V four stroke engine in it. The first one had a Magnum .91 four stroke and flew great. See, some of us are still using glow!:D

Bruce

I like the glow four strokes. Theyre cool. The money is reason ill never have one. If im gonna pay that much for the engine, that thing cant cost me over 16 bucks a gallon. I think a gas four stroke would be sweet. but again, expensive.

Ive only got three planes. The only one that is gas is the Rev. The small glows aren't bad since they dont suck down too much fuel. But I think anything the size of the large Rev or bigger, Ill stick with the gas two stroke. VIIINNNN VIIIINNNN VIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

microdon2 05-09-2012 09:50 PM

mach2 - you can get good deals on used 4 stroke nitro engines right here on RCU, in the "Buy and Sell" section. I've bought most of my Nitro engines used, and most have been in good to very good shape.

In fact, I just did a quick check on RCU and found a YS-120 fs, an Enya 120 fs and an OS 120 fs (all excellent engines for the Rev 70) each asking $170-175, which is less than 1/2 the price of a new OS 110 fs.

Luchnia 05-10-2012 03:59 AM

ORIGINAL: microdon2

mach2 - you can get good deals on used 4 stroke nitro engines right here on RCU, in the ''Buy and Sell'' section. I've bought most of my Nitro engines used, and most have been in good to very good shape.

In fact, I just did a quick check on RCU and found a YS-120 fs, an Enya 120 fs and an OS 120 fs (all excellent engines for the Rev 70) each asking $170-175, which is less than 1/2 the price of a new OS 110 fs.
Great advice.

I have purchased quite a few glow engines on RCU Market Place and all but one have been excellent and all I had to do on the one was put bearings in. The rating system is really a nice tool to check up on a seller and if you want more just inquire of the seller to give you some references. Most of the glow engines I bought on RCU were used. I usually buy my gas engines new because the prices of used gas engines are so dang close to the new that it is better to buy new.

microdon2 05-10-2012 04:51 AM

Seems to me it's the relatively cheap price of gas and small gas engines that's driving down the price of used, mid-large nitro engines. You can get an OS 160 right now for $150! And it's a great engine! (In fact, my OS 160 isn't even bad on fuel - not sure I even understand that.)

Also, most sellers on RCU accept Paypal, which makes payment quick and easy. (this sounds like an ad for RCU...)

mach2 05-10-2012 01:23 PM

cool. next time im in the market for another engine, Ill go that route. Has anyone had any experience with gas four strokes, or are they too new? You dont hardly ever see them.

Since I haven't ever taken my newest revolver out of the box, im actually thinking of selling it and using my DLE20 to power this. www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/GWMX2-030V3BAF.html

It is easily hovered and 3D' with a 26cc engine. Since its hardly any heavier than the Revovler and has more wing area, I dont see the DLE20 having any problem sport flying this plane. I obviously love the Revovler, but Ive really been wanting one of these, and since I lost two revolvers I cant afford to build the Rev and then also get a MX2, plus the engine, servos, battery etc. But I can use everything that Ive got for the Rev in the MX2.

What do you guys think?

Jeremy

frankeldan 05-10-2012 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: capt1597

frankeldan, what level imac did you start at and what plane did you use? capt
So .. I started in basic class. Its alot of fun and its all basic rolls and loops , immelman,sharkstooth, etc.. We all do these everytime we fly. Its just putting them all together in a precise format. I used my 33% edge with a dle 111 and 27/10 prop. I think if anyone wants to try basic, the revolver would work just fine. It tracks like an arrow and no 3d manuvers are required.

Dan