RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Larger Revolver (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/9143970-larger-revolver.html)

wjcalhoun 05-10-2012 07:35 PM

RE: Larger Revolver

Jeremy
Sport flying, OK, but the MX2/30cc is a bigger, draggier airframe, so its perfomance will be ok but hot spirited.
Not starting a brand war but I think you will find the quality of the build of GW not up to the standard of GP, AW, or the better ARF builders.
OTOH, it is your money, so make your choice and go for it.

Bill

microdon2 05-10-2012 07:49 PM

Will be maidening my rebuilt Rev 59 \ OS 61 (an older engine) tomorrow morning. I'm excited - love this plane. Just looks SO cool. Next on the re-build table - Rev 70 \ OS 120 4s. I'm in rebuilding mode!

mach2 05-10-2012 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: frankeldan

ORIGINAL: capt1597

frankeldan, what level imac did you start at and what plane did you use? capt
So .. I started in basic class. Its alot of fun and its all basic rolls and loops , immelman,sharkstooth, etc.. We all do these everytime we fly. Its just putting them all together in a precise format. I used my 33% edge with a dle 111 and 27/10 prop. I think if anyone wants to try basic, the revolver would work just fine. It tracks like an arrow and no 3d manuvers are required.

Dan
It seems that the Revolver being a solid and smooth flying plane, would indeed be a good imac plane. But wouldn't not be legal since it is not modeled after a full scale airplane. Such as an Extra or Edge.

Thanks,
Jeremy

mach2 05-10-2012 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Jeremy
Sport flying, OK, but the MX2/30cc is a bigger, draggier airframe, so its perfomance will be ok but hot spirited.
Not starting a brand war but I think you will find the quality of the build of GW not up to the standard of GP, AW, or the better ARF builders.

Bill

The local hobby shop guy said the same thing about goldwing. However all the video reviews as well as the flying videos indicate that their planes are of good quality. And as I have mentioned before, my friend has a 50cc size Goldwing Raven, and its a very nice plane.

Can you give me some insight as to why the GW company has gotten a reputation for being of lesser quality than that of even GP? I can see it possibly being lesser than AW and H9. GP obviously makes nice planes, but they seem to me to be the "best bang for the buck" planes. Seems like they use the cheapest method of building the planes, but at the same time building them as well as possible with the inexpensive components. Kind of like how the hardware is really basic and the wings are foam core sheeted on the Rev. But they also use nice designs. Such as the internal aileron servo boxes to hide the servos and give it a nice clean look, as well as removing parasitic drag.

Thanks for the help,
Jeremy

ShuttleAU 05-11-2012 12:14 AM

Hi

There is another forum Flying GiXXXX that has a long thread about a guy who built and flew a 30 cc 73 inch Goldwing - DLE 30. He flies a reasonable amount of 3D. Read the story in the build thread about his experiences. In particular , why it is now in the workshop. Search for 30cc 73" MX2 Build Thread, that should find it.

Shuttle

Luchnia 05-11-2012 03:04 AM

ORIGINAL: mach2

Jeremy

Bill

The local hobby shop guy said the same thing about goldwing. However all the video reviews as well as the flying videos indicate that their planes are of good quality. And as I have mentioned before, my friend has a 50cc size Goldwing Raven, and its a very nice plane.

Can you give me some insight as to why the GW company has gotten a reputation for being of lesser quality than that of even GP? I can see it possibly being lesser than AW and H9. GP obviously makes nice planes, but they seem to me to be the ''best bang for the buck'' planes. Seems like they use the cheapest method of building the planes, but at the same time building them as well as possible with the inexpensive components. Kind of like how the hardware is really basic and the wings are foam core sheeted on the Rev. But they also use nice designs. Such as the internal aileron servo boxes to hide the servos and give it a nice clean look, as well as removing parasitic drag.

Thanks for the help,
Jeremy

The V3 series of GW planes are decent bang for the buck. They come with carbon fiber and much like any ARF you need to be reasonably sensible and checking things over. I have the GW 300L V3 and it is not bad at all for the money. The hinges are a tad small for my liking, but not a big deal to put the Robarts in.

The hinges are pre-drilled but not glued so that makes it easy for me to upgrade. I am not implying the factory hinges won't do for my style of flying but I may choose to upgrade them. The plane is built solid, has great covering, good hardware and looks like the internal build design is good. For a 100 to 150 less than what I could have paid for a competitor's plane I am not complaining at all.

Granted there are things to be re-enforced, but think about it most people that have the Revolver have replaced the landing gear, re-enforced the LG area, re-enforced the engine box, re-glued the aileron servo compartments, some had mis-aligned stab hinge slots, mis-aligned wing dowel holes, etc. Certainly should compare these things as they are weaknesses. I have not bought many ARFs that I have not had to do something because there was a weakness somewhere.

To date most of my ARFs have been really decent except one and that was the Precision Hobby Products Edge 540T 26-30cc model. It was the worse workmanship of any plane I have ever purchased. It looked like kids threw it together. The thing is the internal design is very good and they could have had a really nice product had they invested a bit more time in it. Unless I get some free or almost free deal with PHP, I would never buy another one from them so that plane has cost them some business from me.

I will state this, for an approximately 200.00 dollar plane, the Rev 70 is certainly a winner and one of the smoothest of birds at the field! My opinion about this thread's popularity is that I think it is primarily due to the Revolver. Not many would not be pleased with the plane. It can be setup a number of ways and even flown in quite a bit of styles. Although not an outright 3D bird, it can certainly cross the boundary some.

OK, now when is that 30cc and 50cc version coming out? :D :D

wjcalhoun 05-11-2012 04:29 AM

Luchnia
Ironically, I also picked up a PHP (50cc Extra 260) from someone in my club for not much money - NIB.
Poor hardware, poor design, the wing antirotation index holes were not aligned, there was no structure inside to mount batteries, fuel tank, radio, etc etc etc
After much work on my part, it should be a pretty nice flying plane, but you are absolutely correct the workmanship and design are way below standard. Had I been a novice builder, there is no way it would have worked out at all.

My experience with AW is top notch all the way for $$. My experience with GP is generally high quality design and workmanship with good value (with some notable issues detailed on this tread for the R70).

microdon2 05-11-2012 05:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just back from the field - the rebuilt Rev 59 \ OS 61 flew fantasticly! Needed only minor trim, the OS 61 pulled the plane very quickly, and the Rev 59 is SO responsive! I forgot how quick this little plane is - I had to be careful, actually, not to overcontrol, cause I've been flying bigger planes lately. Wow - this plane is fast. In fact the roll rate was a bit too high - even on low rates - I need to take my aileron throws down a bit. And this thing lands on the fast side - it's so streamlined. Good thing there was an 8mph headwind - and the grass - to slow it down a bit. The red and white Revolver looked beautiful against the blue morning sky, Manhattan in the background. Love this plane.

frankeldan 05-11-2012 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: frankeldan

ORIGINAL: capt1597

frankeldan, what level imac did you start at and what plane did you use? capt
So .. I started in basic class. Its alot of fun and its all basic rolls and loops , immelman,sharkstooth, etc.. We all do these everytime we fly. Its just putting them all together in a precise format. I used my 33% edge with a dle 111 and 27/10 prop. I think if anyone wants to try basic, the revolver would work just fine. It tracks like an arrow and no 3d manuvers are required.

Dan
It seems that the Revolver being a solid and smooth flying plane, would indeed be a good imac plane. But wouldn't not be legal since it is not modeled after a full scale airplane. Such as an Extra or Edge.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Totally legal in the basic class. You get points taken off if your plane doesnt have a scale cockpit.. Needs a pilot figure and a dashboard.
The only advantage of a larger scale type plane such as the edge,yak,extra is that they can fly at very low speeds ,thus giving you more time and grace to do your manuvers. I say if a imac event is in your area, pack up the 70 rev, get some friends to come along and have a fun day of it. Nothing gets your blood pumping like a competition.

Luchnia 05-11-2012 06:15 AM

Luchnia
Ironically, I also picked up a PHP (50cc Extra 260) from someone in my club for not much money - NIB.
Poor hardware, poor design, the wing antirotation index holes were not aligned, there was no structure inside to mount batteries, fuel tank, radio, etc etc etc
After much work on my part, it should be a pretty nice flying plane, but you are absolutely correct the workmanship and design are way below standard. Had I been a novice builder, there is no way it would have worked out at all.

My experience with AW is top notch all the way for $$. My experience with GP is generally high quality design and workmanship with good value (with some notable issues detailed on this tread for the R70).
Wow...the 50cc PHP was bad as well? I was just thinking maybe I drawed the short straw on the 26-30cc model that I bought. Thanks for the info - much appreciated. You would probably not believe all the issues I had with the one I bought.

Just an example the alignment pieces on the wings were broken and had to be re-glued [X(] Not one piece of hardware would work. You could tell they just threw some misc. hardware in a plastic bag and threw it in the box. The wing tube inserts were paper thin and even tore. The fuel tank was a tiny glow plane fuel tank! :eek: I don't think there was one hole drilled straight on the whole plane!

After working with the plane after a while it became more humorous to me at just how sorry the workmanship was. All you could do was laugh or you would just get seriously angry and cause yourself agony. If I had to buy the PHP plane at a swap meet I would be hard pressed to pay 50 or maybe 100 dollars for it max.

mach2 05-11-2012 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: ShuttleAU

Hi

There is another forum Flying GiXXXX that has a long thread about a guy who built and flew a 30 cc 73 inch Goldwing - DLE 30. He flies a reasonable amount of 3D. Read the story in the build thread about his experiences. In particular , why it is now in the workshop. Search for 30cc 73" MX2 Build Thread, that should find it.

Shuttle

I feel stupid saying this, but I can't find a search bar or button in the build threads. I went through a few pages looking for it, but no luck.

Thanks,
Jeremy

wjcalhoun 05-12-2012 05:42 AM

Near the top, in blue, is a menu bar: forums, classifieds, blogs, search are in there; have to be careful because there are a couple of search fields that take you to their sponsor Hobby King.

capt1597 05-12-2012 05:00 PM

frankeldan, thanks for all that info. sometime in the future i would enjoy trying a contest. happy flying,capt

Cactus463 05-13-2012 07:06 AM

I have left and right wing for small revolverleft wing is perfectright wing has tip damage but could be flown as is-You pay shipping and $5.00 for gas to UPS store and it is yours

microdon2 05-13-2012 07:10 AM

Cactus - Sounds great - just sent you a PM. Thanks.

lopflyers 05-13-2012 07:51 AM

That is what RCU is all about, friendship and pilots helping each other:D

mach2 05-14-2012 08:18 AM

thanks calhoun. Got it now.

Frankeldan - that's good to know. I didnt think I could use the Rev for that. Its cool that it can be. Its a such a smooth flying plane. I thought it would be a good plane to fly in imac. at least as a newbie.

Back to my thoughts on a 30cc plane. I love the looks of the GW MX2, but i think the better plane which is the same price is the AW Edge 540. Im sure its a very attractive aircraft in person. www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx

Jeremy

Luchnia 05-14-2012 03:13 PM

Frankeldan - that's good to know. I didnt think I could use the Rev for that. Its cool that it can be. Its a such a smooth flying plane. I thought it would be a good plane to fly in imac. at least as a newbie.

Back to my thoughts on a 30cc plane. I love the looks of the GW MX2, but i think the better plane which is the same price is the AW Edge 540. Im sure its a very attractive aircraft in person. www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx

Jeremy

AW has very nice planes but you do normally pay a premium for them. I had an Extra 260 by AW and wasn't bad at all. I did not buy it new. I would not rate it all that much more than some of the other planes out there. I think the Revolver is built almost as well just lacks a small percentage. The biggest thing I notice is the AW manuals are very clear and have plenty of photos for assembly.

I did not realize the GW MX2 is the same price as the AW Edge 540. I thought GW planes were cheaper. The one I have is quite a bit cheaper than a comparible AW. I only have one GW plane and it is the V3 300L 30cc. It is very well built for the dollar (at least in my opinion). You could beef it up some if desired. I do the regular re-enforcement and extra glue. It has a decent hardware package and all carbon fiber gear, wing tube, tail wheel assembly, control horns, servo horns, etc.

I have not looked at prices lately. The worse thing these days is the ginormous freight cost! You order a couple wires and the vendors charge you 10 bucks to ship - totally ridiculous in my book! There are still a few vendors out there that just charge cost on freight which is a nice plus for us RC enthusiast :D

Sbach342Guy 05-14-2012 03:21 PM

The AW Yak 54 is a nice airframe for a DLE-30. It's only $380 and would only be $25 to ship if you are a Tower Hobbies Club member.

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=288

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYSX2&P=7

frankeldan 05-14-2012 04:24 PM

Jeremy

Check out redwingrc.com planes. They have a couple very nice 30cc models. Nice quality

mach2 05-14-2012 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Jeremy

AW has very nice planes but you do normally pay a premium for them. I had an Extra 260 by AW and wasn't bad at all. I did not buy it new. I would not rate it all that much more than some of the other planes out there. I think the Revolver is built almost as well just lacks a small percentage. The biggest thing I notice is the AW manuals are very clear and have plenty of photos for assembly.

I did not realize the GW MX2 is the same price as the AW Edge 540. I thought GW planes were cheaper. The one I have is quite a bit cheaper than a comparible AW. I only have one GW plane and it is the V3 300L 30cc. It is very well built for the dollar (at least in my opinion). You could beef it up some if desired. I do the regular re-enforcement and extra glue. It has a decent hardware package and all carbon fiber gear, wing tube, tail wheel assembly, control horns, servo horns, etc.

I have not looked at prices lately. The worse thing these days is the ginormous freight cost! You order a couple wires and the vendors charge you 10 bucks to ship - totally ridiculous in my book! There are still a few vendors out there that just charge cost on freight which is a nice plus for us RC enthusiast :D
Truly the only difference between the two planes is looks. the MX2 from goldwing has the edge there in my opinion. But all other factors prove that the AW 540 is the better plane.

Well i was taking all the factors into consideration. from what ive heard, the AW plane has the edge as far as quality and performance. And with the deals and shipping all factored in, there was a very minimal price difference. I found the AW 540 for $695 with the DLE30 and the dealer always throws in a free prop of your choice.

check it out!

www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/30cc-edge-540-arf-qb-quick-build.html#

www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/GWMX2-030V3BAF.html

Here is a nice review of the 540
www.aero-works.net/upload/review/30ccEdge_MAN.pdf

Jeremy

Luchnia 05-15-2012 03:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Jeremy

Truly the only difference between the two planes is looks. the MX2 from goldwing has the edge there in my opinion. But all other factors prove that the AW 540 is the better plane.

Well i was taking all the factors into consideration. from what ive heard, the AW plane has the edge as far as quality and performance. And with the deals and shipping all factored in, there was a very minimal price difference. I found the AW 540 for $695 with the DLE30 and the dealer always throws in a free prop of your choice.

check it out!

http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/3...ck-build.html#

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...-030V3BAF.html

Here is a nice review of the 540
http://www.aero-works.net/upload/rev...ccEdge_MAN.pdf

Jeremy

From my searches AW Edge is 449.00 and the MX2 GW is 299.00. I really don't think these two planes are comparible models, but just for the sake of reason let's use them.

I think the question at this point is if you will get 150 bucks more in the AW plane? For me the answer is no, however that is primarily because I don't need the fancy owner's manual, I have on hand most and assemble my own hardware. If I did not then AW is definitely a route for me.

Here is another way I look at it. If I buy two AW planes at 150 more than another vendor that totals 300 more on the table. If I can shop around and hit the magic 300 to 325 mark I can have two planes in my fleet for around 600 to 650. So for me the extra 300 is almost another plane in my fleet. Another plus in my book is having more variety of planes to fly and not all the wear goes on any one plane or engine.

The last two planes I bought I added into my fleet for around 600 with my hardware and re-enforcing work. So I am well pleased at that range. The only cost I am not including is labor and that is money, yet for me I enjoyed the additional hours. If I weigh the labor in there is not much difference in price. Of course the difference is that each of us wants what we want. If I am craving an AW then I buy that :D

mach2 05-15-2012 01:01 PM

The MX2 is about 363 with shipping. They have the DLE30 for 300 with free shipping. So $636 for the plane and motor shipped to me. The Edge 540 can be purchased from valleyviewrc.com for $695 shipped with the engine and a prop. So just a slight difference when you take everything into consideration. 60 bucks isnt much of a difference when youre spending that much.

both planes seem like pretty easy builds and are well constructed. So really I just want to know if the 540 flies better. I like the look of the MX2, but I dont want to sacrifice performance (or in my case, ease of flight) for looks. Not to say the 540 isnt a great looking plane too.

Luchnia 05-15-2012 04:35 PM

The MX2 is about 363 with shipping. They have the DLE30 for 300 with free shipping. So $636 for the plane and motor shipped to me. The Edge 540 can be purchased from valleyviewrc.com for $695 shipped with the engine and a prop. So just a slight difference when you take everything into consideration. 60 bucks isnt much of a difference when youre spending that much.

both planes seem like pretty easy builds and are well constructed. So really I just want to know if the 540 flies better. I like the look of the MX2, but I dont want to sacrifice performance (or in my case, ease of flight) for looks. Not to say the 540 isnt a great looking plane too.

I can only share about the 540 Edge and mine is not an AW plane. I have never flown the MX2 but I have seen one fly. I like the way my Edge flies and especially the way it lands. The way I have it balanced and tuned the plane will slow down like unreal. I have a DLE 30 on it and plenty of power. I have fairly fast servos so it is pretty aggressive.

Specs for my Edge 540T:
Wing Span 73"
Length 65"
Wing Area 832sq in
Weight 9.6lbs
Engine 180-4C, 26cc, Electric
Servos 6

I am building a GW Extra 300L and so far the plane is very nice. Hardware seems decent too. A lot of the work is pre-done so it makes it much easier to put together. They even cut the covering away from the servo holes. The only thing is it seems really lite made. Once I re-enfoce some weight will be gained. The covering job is very nice....for 300 bucks not too bad at all.

capt1597 05-15-2012 05:40 PM

i was out flying today. took my revolver 70, os91fx 2s, 9lbs. even and my aw yac 54, saito 150 4s, 10lbs 7oz. 15% wildcat 4s lube but i throw in a couble ozs. of caster per gallon for grins. blue skys, 81 degrees, wind out of the west at 10 to 14 mph. land owner had mowed this morning and the ajaisant farm fields are freshly tilled. what can i say, it was dreamy. i got 6 flights with each plane with two to three landings pur flight. our club flield is a rectangle of about 600' x 400' so you never have to deal with cross-winds. i run duel transmitters so while i fly one bird the other can charge as needed this way i can fly nonstop for as long as i want. both these planes are a hoot in a breeze. both planes were trouble free today, i am a lucky man - " living the dream" (well at least for today). these two planes complament each other well. the rev is slipperier and the best at swoop and loop where as the yac is a better dancer. love them both! mach, aw has a 20% off sale going this week for the "nall" but don't tell the wife i told you. my wife never asks about what i spend on my planes or boats cause i never ask about her shoes or horses. happy flying, capt