RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Larger Revolver (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/9143970-larger-revolver.html)

lopflyers 12-30-2012 05:25 AM

RE: Larger Revolver

Good catch, that should be our club picture

RoyR 12-30-2012 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: wahoo

<span style=''font-family: Times; font-size: large; ''>Large revolver ??

<br type=''_moz'' /></span>
Yeah, I've heard of those. I hear they're SMOKING!!!

Luchnia 12-30-2012 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Really! I love those that can think ''out of the box'', but c'mon, that thing's not going to fly worth a darn!
:D The landing gear are way to heavy! [X(]

microdon2 12-30-2012 09:54 AM

THAT larger Revolver's gonna need the DLE 111. Maybe 170~

iflywhenican 12-30-2012 09:58 AM

Don, you still flying your Texas Hurricane?

microdon2 12-30-2012 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ifly -

Funny you should mention that. I was just thinking this morning that maybe I should try to fix the badly damaged right wing of my Hurricane. Actually, I have one NIB, except for a set of old, damaged wings. My first Texas Hurricane ended up floating away from me in the Long Island Sound (floating towards Manhattan) when I lost elevator control (last summer). Pretty sure it was interference from the EI. I was about 200 ft out over the water when the plane nose-dived into the drink. Wind and tide were going out, so I had to just stand there and take pictures. A total loss. And I had JUST gotten the XYZ 50 working well, too! I had already had a replacement Hurricane cause I needed the wings (the dealer gave me the entire plane for $300, where the replacement wings would have been $200). So now if I can rebuild that damaged wing (from a previous crash) I could have a new plane. And I have a used 50cc engine for it already. Only problem - the last 12" of the wing is broken clean off - it would need some reinforcement to fix, and that'll add weight, which will need to be balanced on the other side. Doable, but it'll cut the roll rate down. Anyhow, I'm thinking of doing it.

Why do you ask? Are you getting one? What engine are you looking at for it? One thing about the Hurricane - the stock aluminum gear is weak. I was always bending back in shape. So I added some spring-loaded wires for support (pics) . They kind-of worked. I actually bought a replacement gear, but the first Hurricane went swimming before I installed it.

One other thing - I added some triangle stock to the trailing edge of the wing, where the ailersons attach, to increase the throw of the ailerons. I also added the cub-yellow trim and red striping, to spice up the paint scheme.

jet22b 12-30-2012 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

Fellow flyers, I understand that Tower also has a warehouse out west, where temps are much hotter, so that may explain why the wrinkle problems are appearing. I to, have had some wrinkle problems with the last couple kits that I have purchased from them. I hate the fact that it takes me longer to get the wrinkles out of the covering that it does to build!! [>:]
Tower do have a warehouse in Reno,NV. The last plane I order before xmas came out of Reno. When I receive the plane, I did a slow look over and found no wrinkle and I just pull the plane of the shelf in the workshop and still no wrinkle. When the R59 came out, the fuse was a mass of wrinkle!! The wrinkle had wrinkle!!:D When the R70 came out and my order can in, same thing, the fuse was a mass of wrinkle. Do anyone know if Great Plane is using Monokote or something else?? When you open the manual and on the first few pages, they tell you to look for wrinkle, it make you thing, what type of covering they are using!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b

iflywhenican 12-30-2012 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don, sorry to hear that you lost your Hurricane They are great flying planes. I sold mine not long ago and have regretted it ever since.

microdon2 12-30-2012 10:57 AM

ifly - I'll let you know if \ when I build the new Hurricane. What engine did you have in yours?

RoyR 12-30-2012 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: jet22b

Do anyone know if Great Plane is using Monokote or something else?? When you open the manual and on the first few pages, they tell you to look for wrinkle, it make you thing, what type of covering they are using!!
Yes it's Monokote. But don't most ARF kits say to iron out the wrinkles???

lopflyers 12-30-2012 12:22 PM

Hmmmm, nice looking bird. What company makes the Hurricaine?

microdon2 12-30-2012 01:09 PM

www.Kangkeusa.com. I also own the 96" Monocoupe with a Quadra 35 inside. Always gets attention at the field. (especially when you do a slow-speed inverted pass!)

Granpooba 12-30-2012 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: microdon2

btw - there's also a recent post in the ''New Great Planes Revolver'' thread about a new Rev 59 that had such bad wrinkles out of the box that it was laughable. Could be a trend??
I'm the person with the Rev 59 that had such a bad covering job, that I had to laugh at it. If I did not laugh, I most likely would have been crying all the way to the post office to send it back. [&o]
But having many years of experience with coverings, I first went over the entire model with my heat gun and then took my iron to it on " HOT " setting and did every part again. I am very happy to report that it looks really good now.

My only concern from what I am reading here is that I just ordered another Rev 70 of which I plan to put an OS 22 GT into for power. Hope this new one coming is not as wrinkled as what you folks are chatting about. Then I would have to say, we have a bad covering trend happening. Even though I do not plan on starting this new project for a couple of weeks, I will be checking out this model or all the concerns that have been mentioned. ;)

iflywhenican 12-30-2012 04:19 PM

Don, I had a Brison 3.2 in my Hurricane. About 52 cc, I think. Vertical to the moon!!!

Sbach342Guy 12-30-2012 06:28 PM

Who here has the new Giant Revolver? How does it compare to the R70? My father-in-law gave me money for Christmas that is burning a hole in my pocket :)

wjcalhoun 12-30-2012 06:34 PM

Sbach
I have one with DLE55RA. I'm really happy with it. Flies beautifully. Bigger, more stable version of hte R70. Those who have flown both say the R59 is a different beast frojm the R70. I think the flyiing characteristics of the R90 are close to those of the R70. See the Revolver 50cc thread; i have some build pics.

Bill

lopflyers 12-30-2012 06:35 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Sbach342Guy

Who here has the new Giant Revolver? How does it compare to the R70? My father-in-law gave me money for Christmas that is burning a hole in my pocket :)

There is a thread called 50cc Revolver, you will get a lot of info there. All I've read so far is good. I'm also almost ready to pull the trigger

RoyR 12-30-2012 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more problem to report with my Revolver. THe one with the bad covering job, the misaligned aileron servo cutout, the tight fitting wing tube, the missing alignment pins on one wing and the alignment pins that would not go in the hole on the other wing.

I had kept the cowl in the plastic bag to prevent scratching. I took it out to trial fit on the fuselage. First it would not go around the fuse as the top was flat. When I forced it to go on there is a large dent on the top plus I noticed a small crack on the side.

I just added this problem to my mounting list and sent it to Great Planes. Will see what they say tomorrow.

Luchnia 12-31-2012 03:42 AM

ORIGINAL: RoyR

One more problem to report with my Revolver. THe one with the bad covering job, the misaligned aileron servo cutout, the tight fitting wing tube, the missing alignment pins on one wing and the alignment pins that would not go in the hole on the other wing.

I had kept the cowl in the plastic bag to prevent scratching. I took it out to trial fit on the fuselage. First it would not go around the fuse as the top was flat. When I forced it to go on there is a large dent on the top plus I noticed a small crack on the side.

I just added this problem to my mounting list and sent it to Great Planes. Will see what they say tomorrow.

You certainly got the lemon on this one! My goodness, if you only had a few small odds and ends would be one thing, but all the issues you have is no question at all. They should give you a new replacement plane and not even ask any questions at this point.

I have a friend that recently bought a Revolver 70 and does not want it. It is new in the box and since he got a deal with TH he asked me if I wanted it and I told him sure I would pick it up.

Since several folks are having more issues with the Rev 70s quality now, I told him to pull everything out of the box and check wing alignment, fuselage, covering, hinge slots, etc. and if it was messed up at all to call TH first and we can get it corrected without waiting. I may not get to it for months and they are reluctant to help you if you don't call in withint a reasonable time frame.

orthobird 12-31-2012 08:50 AM

dude, just one bad thing after another. there is a black cloud of that plane. if i were you, i would not even fly that baby.

microdon2 12-31-2012 08:57 AM

I'd tell TH you want a replacement.

lopflyers 12-31-2012 09:02 AM

Happy New Year to all the gang

lopflyers 12-31-2012 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Happy New Year to all the gang

RoyR 12-31-2012 09:19 AM

Yeah, I am in contact with Great Planes. The last thing they said was to send the plane back for a replacement. However I have already glued the Horizontal stabilizer and rudder on, it will be difficult to get it in that box. I told them that, and i'm waiting to see what they say.

I have never had major problems like this with ARFs before, so I didn't look at each piece in detail. I mean, who measures the cutouts on the wings before assembling them anyway? The cowl was in a plastic wrapping and seemed ok until I opened it. You couldn't tell it was deformed until I tried to fit it on the fuselage. I'll admit I should have noticed one wing didn't have the alignment pins, but I didn't.
The fuse is OK so if they are willing to replace the wings and cowl that will be good enough. I got most of the wrinkles out of the stab and fuselage.

Luchnia 12-31-2012 09:33 AM

Yeah, I am in contact with Great Planes. The last thing they said was to send the plane back for a replacement. However I have already glued the Horizontal stabilizer and rudder on, it will be difficult to get it in that box. I told them that, and i'm waiting to see what they say.

I have never had major problems like this with ARFs before, so I didn't look at each piece in detail. I mean, who measures the cutouts on the wings before assembling them anyway? The cowl was in a plastic wrapping and seemed ok until I opened it. You couldn't tell it was deformed until I tried to fit it on the fuselage. I'll admit I should have noticed one wing didn't have the alignment pins, but I didn't.
The fuse is OK so if they are willing to replace the wings and cowl that will be good enough. I got most of the wrinkles out of the stab and fuselage.
Explain to them exactly what you have and the process. Also, take photos of the detailed problems and email them the photos. If they act like they do not want to help you then you will need to go higher up the chain to some supervisors, etc. Sometimes it just takes getting in touch with the right person.

I think you already know this, yet for the future even if you think everything is ok, always pull out all the parts and check everything over before gluing anything in. I have saw planes that appeared to be ok and after careful inspection had no glue in the back part of the fuselage! ;)